Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Habu 32X

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Habu 32X

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 09:23 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

The Stumax 80 is deceptively quiet. The verticals are quite impressive too.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:45 PM
SushiHunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rking3
I went ahead and bought the stumax 80 8S setup yesterday. I had been deciding for a month over TJ80 and JF80. Oh boy I hope it's as fast as you say .
Do the research and just be sure the entire system from battery to the EDF is correct by the numbers.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:55 AM
SushiHunter

I went ahead and bought the stumax 80 8S setup yesterday. I had been deciding for a month over TJ80 and JF80. Oh boy I hope it's as fast as you say .
Sorry if I missed it, but what aircraft are you going to be installing your Stumax in?
Old 01-06-2015, 12:21 PM
TUMBLER
My Feedback: (13)

Really? Just flew mine at 9.3lbs on grass and they are awesome. One thing I noticed is that if you line up the wheels off of the retract mount you will have serious toe OUT, so you need extreme toe in, in relation to the retract mounting plate.

http://youtu.be/4FAbdywKeSE

Originally Posted by Midas D.
Agree on the stock wire for grass, had the Tams leg's in there but threw them out straight away, on grass the stock ones do much better.

Cheers,

Ed
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	2061667  

Last edited by TUMBLER; 01-06-2015 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:18 PM
SushiHunter

Originally Posted by TUMBLER
Really? Just flew mine at 9.3lbs on grass and they are awesome. One thing I noticed is that if you line up the wheels off of the retract mount you will have serious toe OUT, so you need extreme toe in, in relation to the retract mounting plate.

Is that your bird in the youtube vid? 10s? Wow, very cool. Grass fields are probably really nice but seems like a lot of potential FOD could occur. I've flown a simple 4s Habu 2 for a bit and twice a small piece of tanbark got sucked up during takeoff. And just on that small EDF it did a real number on the fan. It is for that reason flying my birds with high output power plants, I will only fly off of clean paved airfield runway. It's not worth it to me the damage that can be caused.

Last edited by SushiHunter; 01-06-2015 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:46 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

The stock wire legs seem to come with this ground into the leg flat. Certainly on mine I assembled the legs in the unit with some loctite, and had to pick the right unit to match the required toe in

Dave
Old 01-06-2015, 02:27 PM
SushiHunter

I'll have to look at mine again but I didn't notice any toe-in or toe-out on the stock setup with the suggested eflite retracts that I've installed on my Habu. I'm not sure how tight a fit the stock landing gear is in the stock wheel wells but seems really tight and wouldn't changing the toe-in or toe-out have an impact on the fit of the main landing gear in the wheel wells?
Old 01-06-2015, 03:03 PM
BarracudaHockey

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Its a pretty tight fit.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:26 PM
TUMBLER

Yeah, that's my Habu. Just test flew last week. Flys great. I have never flown on anything but grass and have never sucked up anything......well except when going through a puddle. Currently I am flying the Habu and a Jeteng XXX with a 127mm fan with no issues.

Originally Posted by SushiHunter
Is that your bird in the youtube vid? 10s? Wow, very cool. Grass fields are probably really nice but seems like a lot of potential FOD could occur. I've flown a simple 4s Habu 2 for a bit and twice a small piece of tanbark got sucked up during takeoff. And just on that small EDF it did a real number on the fan. It is for that reason flying my birds with high output power plants, I will only fly off of clean paved airfield runway. It's not worth it to me the damage that can be caused.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:36 PM
TUMBLER

Yeah ah that makes sense. I was just thinking maybe that is why people were having issues with Tams struts. Just a thought.

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
The stock wire legs seem to come with this ground into the leg flat. Certainly on mine I assembled the legs in the unit with some loctite, and had to pick the right unit to match the required toe in

Dave
Old 01-06-2015, 04:27 PM
TUMBLER

You can see I took the plastic liner out.
Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Its a pretty tight fit.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:53 PM
SushiHunter

You can see I took the plastic liner out.
So there is lots of room in the wing I take it.

Last edited by SushiHunter; 01-06-2015 at 08:56 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:13 AM
rking3

Sorry if I missed it, but what aircraft are you going to be installing your Stumax in?
For the 32x as well.

Nice flight tumbler! What are you using to weigh your jet?
Old 01-07-2015, 09:24 AM
SushiHunter

For the 32x as well.

Nice flight tumbler! What are you using to weigh your jet?
Cool. Will be looking forward to seeing more youtube vids of these birds if you decide to do some videos of it.

Last edited by SushiHunter; 01-07-2015 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:39 AM
BarracudaHockey

Dave, can you share any more details about the turbine install?

What tank or tanks are you using? Component location, all that good stuff
Old 01-11-2015, 12:49 PM
Dave Wilshere

Andy

Still not had time to work on this again, but main tank is a 700cc Kavan tank fitted backwards as the shape fits the inlets. I add two nipples to the bottom of the tank (will see if I have a picture)
I use a felt clunk with Tygon tube clunk. I then feed an MAP (Canada) 2oz bubble trap that sits on top of the main tank, that will give me around 6mins of mixed flying.
Tail pipe is single walled, with a 60mm augmenter tube at the back to draw out hot air.
Will try and get it mounted this week and post pictures

Dave
Old 01-12-2015, 08:54 AM
Dave Wilshere

Here is the main tank, still no time today to do anything, but hopefully this week.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1504.JPG
Views:	602
Size:	447.7 KB
ID:	2063337   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1506.JPG
Views:	646
Size:	441.5 KB
ID:	2063338   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1508.JPG
Views:	551
Size:	474.7 KB
ID:	2063339  
Old 01-12-2015, 09:36 AM
BarracudaHockey

Thanks Dave, I might be giving this a go so I'll be watching closely.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:27 AM
SushiHunter

I ran into a guy over the weekend who flies turbines and he mentioned that he's done the same with one of his Habu 32s in the past. He also mentioned that the P-20 is all the turbine you need in these Habu's. That specific power plant is pretty much close to reasonable in price for me to get interested in doing something like this in the near future, once I thoroughly enjoy the EDF configuration.

Last edited by SushiHunter; 01-12-2015 at 11:29 AM.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:18 PM
ACE51
My Feedback: (3)

Looks good,

what did you paint the interior with?

I have yet to put mine in yet, I've been having fun with the P20 on a test bench. Can't wait to fly her!

--Aaron

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
Here is the main tank, still no time today to do anything, but hopefully this week.

Dave
Old 01-12-2015, 02:32 PM
Dave Wilshere

Aged Iron textured finish over two coats of ZAP 40 thinned.

Dave
Old 01-13-2015, 09:14 AM
rking3

Does anyone use a tail cone with the SM80 setup? Could someone provide some pics of their stumax installed? Thanks
Old 01-13-2015, 11:24 AM
SushiHunter

Does anyone use a tail cone with the SM80 setup? Could someone provide some pics of their stumax installed? Thanks
Yeah, there's a guy who uses tail cones, I've seen pix of his setups. It's on the other Habu thread I think. Or are you talking about the thrust tube that connects to the rear of the EDF unit and runs to the back end of the plane?

From what I've been researching high and low, the exhaust of the EDF shouldn't be smaller than 80% of the size of the rear of the EDF unit. That's why the factory thrust tube for the Habu has that slight taper to it. I've not experimented with it so I wouldn't know first hand but from what I've read in various forums and whatnot, 80% is the smallest you really would want to go, which would be 20% smaller than the rear of the 80mm EDF unit.

Or are you referring to the cone on the rear of the EDF unit where the wires run? It's a real tight fit when installing the EDF, thrust tube and tail cone for the back of the EDF unit for the wiring to be routed. On my Habu, I fabricated out of aluminum a tail cone for the wiring to run through because I wanted an extremely clean install free of visual wiring. Getting all that to fit was a real bugger. But it can be done, it's just not too enjoyable of a process.

Last edited by SushiHunter; 01-13-2015 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:06 PM
rking3

Thanks for the info.

I am looking for stuff on using a tail cone to the motor and EDF unit, such as the one that Tam sells.

http://www.tamjets.com/original/prod...roducts_id=711

Wanted to know how it looks with and without one. I am planning on going without since I will use a 40mm fan on the ESC under the battery tray instead of putting it in the tail cone like Tam does with the TJ80s.

Yeah, there's a guy who uses tail cones, I've seen pix of his setups. It's on the other Habu thread I think. Or are you talking about the thrust tube that connects to the rear of the EDF unit and runs to the back end of the plane?

From what I've been researching high and low, the exhaust of the EDF shouldn't be smaller than 80% of the size of the rear of the EDF unit. That's why the factory thrust tube for the Habu has that slight taper to it. I've not experimented with it so I wouldn't know first hand but from what I've read in various forums and whatnot, 80% is the smallest you really would want to go, which would be 20% smaller than the rear of the 80mm EDF unit.

Or are you referring to the cone on the rear of the EDF unit where the wires run? It's a real tight fit when installing the EDF, thrust tube and tail cone for the back of the EDF unit for the wiring to be routed. On my Habu, I fabricated out of aluminum a tail cone for the wiring to run through because I wanted an extremely clean install free of visual wiring. Getting all that to fit was a real bugger. But it can be done, it's just not too enjoyable of a process.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:38 PM
SushiHunter

Thanks for the info.

I am looking for stuff on using a tail cone to the motor and EDF unit, such as the one that Tam sells.

http://www.tamjets.com/original/prod...roducts_id=711

Wanted to know how it looks with and without one. I am planning on going without since I will use a 40mm fan on the ESC under the battery tray instead of putting it in the tail cone like Tam does with the TJ80s.
I see. Well, the tail cone on the motor will cause the motor to run maybe a little bit warmer than if it didn't have the tail cone on it. That is what I was told by Stumax. In regards to the ESC, that would all depend on how much battery, rating of ESC that you're running and even how you program the ESC in regards to it's program settings. I'm running a Castle Creations Phoenix Edge HV series ESC and when programming the ESC via the USB and data link to the computer, depending on how you set up the parameters, it can have an effect on ESC temperature. During my test runs on my own Habu with the Stumax unit on 8s, the canopy & EDF unit access panel installed and the gear up, I ran the unit for a full solid 4 minutes at full throttle on 8s (2 x 4000mAH 30c) and after the run, the ESC's exterior temperature showed 97 degrees, and according to the data logging that I downloaded from the ESC, the temperature reached 100 degrees. How accurate is all this? I don't exactly know for sure but those were the numbers I got when I checked these things. Another thing to think about is how much of the ESC's capabilities are you using. From all the research I've done on the internet and plus talking with lots of very experienced electric heli and home built quad pilots, I've been lead to believe that the harder your ESC works in regards to how much voltage/amps/power it is connected to, determines how hot it's going to get. In my situation I may have gone a little over kill with the ESC I'm using in my Habu. The ESC I'm running in my Habu is using only at about 30% of it's full capabilities. I did this because many very experienced electric heli, EDF, quad, car and boat guys told me that you want to try and stay at least no more than 60% with the ESC. The more you go past the 60% mark, the greater the risk of failures with the ESC. All this is stuff to think about and put into consideration when putting the systems together. This is my first real EDF so I'm learning by having access to a lot of guys with a very knowledgeable and well experienced background with pretty advanced electric power plants and systems.

Last edited by SushiHunter; 01-13-2015 at 02:13 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.