Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Anyone go through airport security...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Anyone go through airport security...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 10:18 AM
BlueBus320
My Feedback: (57)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone go through airport security...

With a BVM carry case? Trying to get a Kingcat home as carry on, then gate check it
thanks, Jay
Old 12-10-2014, 10:44 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueBus320
With a BVM carry case? Trying to get a Kingcat home as carry on, then gate check it
thanks, Jay
I've never tried it, so take that into account, but I don't think that there is any way that you could get that through TSA security - X-rayed as checked baggage maybe, but carry on, I think no way...

Bob
Old 12-10-2014, 10:48 AM
rcjets_63
My Feedback: (4)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Back in the day, I've put a BVM jet case (with Bandit inside) through checked baggage. I can't imagine that they would possibly let you through to the gate with it as it is obviously way to big for carry on baggage.

Jim
Old 12-10-2014, 11:32 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It might be worth cheking your airlines dimensions for checked baggage as well. I looked at getting a jet case to transport my Bobcat but it was bigger than the standard 'suitcase' size for the airline I was using. This would have made it very expensive to carry (and I'm not even sure it would have been possible).

I ended up carrying my Bobcat, well-packed, in its original box (which was inside the dimension limit) but I wouldn't recommend it!!
Old 12-10-2014, 11:34 AM
BlueBus320

Thanks guys, I work for an airline, but not traveling on mine & not sure what TSA will say. Hmmm.. I will report what happens
Old 12-10-2014, 12:47 PM
vinnyjet
My Feedback: (39)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jay pre 9/11 no proplem i flew to a city ramp would leave a bin empty for me to put a plane in there so it will not get damaged
vinny
Old 12-10-2014, 01:12 PM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel...mits/10246511/
Old 12-10-2014, 01:31 PM
BlueBus320

I know some guys that travel with bikes, & surfboards, then gate check it & have the tamper put them below, but it's probably easier when you are operating the plane. I will try it, & if it doesn't work it'll be a long expensive drive home
Old 12-10-2014, 02:18 PM
rcpete347
My Feedback: (251)

HI, I built a Jet case for my BVM Bobcat to take to Florida Jets as oversize baggage that cost me $75. Their are not too many airlines any more that accept the large girth of a jet case. Their was no turbine or fuel tanks in the Jet case, they were carry on, and on the return trip, the turbine and now smelly fuel tanks where FEDEXed.
Rcpete
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0460.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	2053887   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0461.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	2053888  
Old 12-10-2014, 06:13 PM
husafreak
My Feedback: (3)

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

If it is any bigger than a roll aboard suitcase it won't fit thru the scanner that TSA uses at passenger security checkpoint. Kingcat's are big. As someone said get the measurements for the jet case as if it was a rectangular box and make sure the airline can accept it. Then cross your fingers! If the tanks are dry I don't see why they wouldn't load it. The planes are already chock full of lithium batteries and very small quantities of flammable liquids. I wouldn't advertise that but I mean a few drops shouldn't be detectable. TSA is funny though, if whoever scans your box decides to inspect it and freaks out because they don't understand it or are intimidated by your jet then you are screwed. You may have to explain it all and beg. Just how it is. I would go to the airport early and put my name and phone number prominently on the case so you have plenty of time to fight for your rights if it goes sour. Maybe put a manual or simple sheet with pictures explaining the R/C jet in the case so they will see it if they open it. Put "R/C model airplane carry case" on the outside in big letters, etc. Yeah, I work for the airlines too. TSA is fickle...
Old 12-10-2014, 06:41 PM
MX240
My Feedback: (4)

Better not get me started on the TSA.
I am a pretty calm guy but, some of the experience I have had with THOSE people......
I have two new knees so I tell them before I go through the metal detector with all the bells going off so am waved over to be hand checked...I am 73.
I hear that when I reach 75 I don't have to take my shoes off anymore...wow!
Anytime I now fly I carry a small pencil with TSA complaint papers and now am ready to take names.
The last time a black TSA agent led me over to a table after patting me down and left and said, "wait here?" and never came back.
Finally after 15 minutes another TSA agent asked what I was doing there and said I was free to go.
And they wonder why we think they are all as- ho--es
I spent six years in the military with two years in a war zone and don't have to take that crap anymore.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:24 PM
ozief16
My Feedback: (13)

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Here's another thought: I taped down one of those clear plastic page protectors to each side of the jet case. I then slid a picture of the assembled model in the page protector with a big "please be careful, jet model inside" on it.

The guy that gave me the idea suggested it just might make the Fed Ex be a bit more careful. It might help with the TSA as well.

Dave
Old 12-11-2014, 04:33 AM
BobbyMcGee

Originally Posted by BlueBus320
thanks, Jay
It shouldn't be a problem as long as you also pack your loaded gun in the case too.

But I think you'd have a better chance with a gun ... A BVM jet case is almost the size of a small cello, and that is considered to fall into the checked baggage size.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:36 AM
BobbyMcGee

Originally Posted by MX240
Better not get me started on the TSA.
I am a pretty calm guy but, some of the experience I have had with THOSE people......
I have two new knees so I tell them before I go through the metal detector with all the bells going off so am waved over to be hand checked...I am 73.
I hear that when I reach 75 I don't have to take my shoes off anymore...wow!
Anytime I now fly I carry a small pencil with TSA complaint papers and now am ready to take names.
The last time a black TSA agent led me over to a table after patting me down and left and said, "wait here?" and never came back.
Finally after 15 minutes another TSA agent asked what I was doing there and said I was free to go.
And they wonder why we think they are all as- ho--es
I spent six years in the military with two years in a war zone and don't have to take that crap anymore.
Speaking about the TSA ...
The TSA has just released its June 2014 report of the screening results that the enhanced pat-downs in Miami Airport (MIA) have come across:

Terrorist Plots Discovered 0
Transvestites 533
Hernias 1,485
Hemorrhoids 3,172
Padded Bras 232,172
Enlarged Prostates 8,249
Breast Implants 359,350
Natural Blonds 5
Fruit in crotch 243
Old 12-11-2014, 05:35 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)