Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

The future of micro jet engine design.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

The future of micro jet engine design.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 01:54 AM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default The future of micro jet engine design.

Would you like to have a 160 size can engine pushing over 400 N of thrust in total reliability?

This is possible and coming fast!
Prototypes are already running and clocking hours.

The breakthrough: 3D printed variable geometry assemblies.

Please first have a look at general 3D printed techniques and low volume production considerations that we already have implemented at Ultimate Jets. Discretion of Christian Von Koenigsegg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw6cs7opvzA Here is a little bit more insight of what is coming next year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNedUZxP8NU This is very close to the technology we are working on right now.
Enjoy...
Old 12-14-2014, 05:46 AM
jetster81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This to me as a non engineer is incredible news, I hope it comes to pass in the near future.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:19 AM
olnico

Originally Posted by jetster81
This to me as a non engineer is incredible news, I hope it comes to pass in the near future.
The problem we are facing right now is the price of this technology.
Koenigsegg can afford to spend an extra 10k for one single compressor component on a 1M USD car. We cannot. But I have very good hope that we'll be able to release something in 2015 at a decent price...
Old 12-14-2014, 09:38 AM
Jgwright

Originally Posted by olnico
Would you like to have a 160 size can engine pushing over 400 N of thrust in total reliability?

This is possible and coming fast!
Prototypes are already running and clocking hours.

Enjoy...
Oli

Do you really think that jet modellers have a need for a 400n engine? It would be way over the permitted thrust in the USA and any suitable model would be certain to be in the Large model size in Europe and the USA. We have only just had 210 N in the 160 size case and model choice is starting to be a problem. Models will definitely need trucks to transport planes in. All of this limits the potential market. Personally I think the engines now are quite powerful enough, but what we could do with is a quiet engine of the same power output. Now that would have a big market.

John
Old 12-14-2014, 09:55 AM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

How about using the tech to build a Wren 44 size that produces 160 Power???????? Now you got something useful!!
Old 12-14-2014, 01:56 PM
bluescoobydoo

sooner of later the 44 size turbines that produce more thrust as mentioned above will be what everyone will be producing because as you mentioned the market will get smaller as the size of airframe increases, maybe we might get smaller airframes soon as the size of kits is getting out of hand, I really think they will continue to increase in size until someone get's hurt by a airframe that was bigger than the manufacturers knowledge of building it then the caa/hse will get involved and regulate it to death, as sad day for this hobby
Old 12-15-2014, 05:15 AM
olnico

Originally Posted by Jgwright
Oli

Do you really think that jet modellers have a need for a 400n engine?

John
Yes.
AMA doc 520a specifies that max thrust for LTMA-2 class models is 90 lbs.
I already have a couple of models in mind that would be flying quite well on an engine like this. The Aviation Design 1/3 scale Fouga is one of them.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:16 AM
olnico

Originally Posted by Terry Holston
How about using the tech to build a Wren 44 size that produces 160 Power???????? Now you got something useful!!
Would you be willing to pay 6000 USD for an engine like this?
Old 12-15-2014, 05:26 AM
marc s

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I believe we actually need is a turbine which is way more fuel efficient then the requirement for heavy fuel loads can be reduced dramatically - our RC turbines are very poor when it come to fuel efficiency even the Hawke Turbines which are the most efficient are miles away from where we could be.

marcs
Old 12-15-2014, 06:06 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Im still waiting on a P20 size turboprop
Old 12-15-2014, 09:39 AM
cyphur01

If we really want 160-210 power from a 60 size turbine there is really only one solution. Turbo fan. Be it high bypass (airliner) or low bypass (pretty much every full size fighter jet engine produced today). There are Many a reason full size turbojet engines have disappeared and fuel economy, thrust and sound output vs. size are the leading factors. So as soon as a turbofan engine that will fit in a normal model (not the wren backwards flow thing) is produced, I think we will see the next evolution in model jet engines.

http://youtu.be/OJl7Dig1gLQ

Last edited by cyphur01; 12-15-2014 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:05 AM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

Ge already did this... but the 180 size turbine was barely making 15n thrust:
http://3dprintingindustry.com/2014/1...ed-jet-engine/
Old 12-15-2014, 10:06 AM
DiscoWings

Here is the video:
http://www.mmsonline.com/blog/post/v...-manufacturing
Old 12-15-2014, 12:12 PM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

General Aviation, specifically sport aviation, could be a huge benefactor of this initially. Then of course UAV's and PAT (personal Air Transport or flying taxicabs). But IMHO UAV's and flying cars are the death of RC and sport aviation in general. Flight will be commoditized and highly consumerized - we lose the freedom and passion. Just like people complain about getting on an airliner today. I say give them a tall ship, three months of free time fighting for their lives on the ship, scurvy and eating horses when they need to and then let them see how they like a coach seat and a nasty cabin crew attitude for a couple hours as they face the horror of small screen video entertainment Ha ha..

The video above is interesting in terms of manufacturing advances!

I could see for me, personally, what I'm interested in is smaller jet turbine engines with better fuel economy and lighter weights. Of course it's all interesting to me but the break even point where I'm not interested in putting money into model airplanes anymore is about where the "above" 80n engines lie. Above that and I start to spend the money on sport aviation (full size restored aircraft, aerobatics, etc) as general aviation is still pretty accessible where I live.

Last edited by Eddie P; 12-15-2014 at 12:23 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:24 PM
cyphur01

Disco, I don't think oli was talking about 3d printing an entire engine but printing the variable geometry portion itself inside the assembly. If I've read right, koniegseggseggeggsssgg ( top gear fans will get this) use a normal Borg Warner compressor wheel and turbine on the front side and rear of their turbos.

Last edited by cyphur01; 12-15-2014 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:28 PM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by olnico
Would you be willing to pay 6000 USD for an engine like this?
No, but I can wait until the demand catches up and the price comes down...............
Old 12-15-2014, 01:25 PM
toolmaker7341

Originally Posted by marc s
What I believe we actually need is a turbine which is way more fuel efficient then the requirement for heavy fuel loads can be reduced dramatically - our RC turbines are very poor when it come to fuel efficiency even the Hawke Turbines which are the most efficient are miles away from where we could be.

marcs
!/3 fuel consumption would be what I would want 3-4 oz./min. with 22-25 # thrust
Old 12-15-2014, 03:06 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would like to see smaller turbines and more efficient ones.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:49 PM
DiscoWings

whatever happened to the 7 stage turbine some german dude was making?
Old 12-15-2014, 09:49 PM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

35n lightweight turbine would be nice. P20 is too heavy and lambert doesn't seem to have anybody backing him in the us.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:54 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would like a 2-3 lb thrust turbine for smaller planes. lots of EDF planes out there. i would also like to see a large High bi pass fan like the one in this tread but on a smaller scale so could have a scale type engine for the airliners
Old 12-16-2014, 09:49 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I would rather prefer a average fuel efficient but reliable turbine, at half the current prices.

Perhaps somebody with a good CNC or 3D metal printer and a arduino or similar based ECU may offer this in the years to come.

Kingtech already is going the right way... those K80īs are making a lot of people happy around the world,
Old 12-16-2014, 11:21 AM
Air Works

Was thinking the same turbines sizes and models are getting to the point where you might as well get in and fly it. Then there are the costs which are going up and up all the time. Would be nice to see some sub 1K engines that are reliable with reasonable power and also would be great to see more scratch builds

Originally Posted by erbroens
I would rather prefer a average fuel efficient but reliable turbine, at half the current prices.

Perhaps somebody with a good CNC or 3D metal printer and a arduino or similar based ECU may offer this in the years to come.

Kingtech already is going the right way... those K80īs are making a lot of people happy around the world,
Old 12-16-2014, 11:34 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Im excited about the 3d printing, I would like to see cheaper 20 pound turbines my self.

But if this becomes a lot easyer to do in the future, do you think we will have companys like Hobbyking Scaning and printing off copys of turbines?
Old 12-16-2014, 12:14 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Absolutely, in the last years the sophistication and prices of the top end models went to the moon. Not that this is a bad thing, but that "experimenting" aspect of the hobby almost vanished, as most guys donīt want to gamble a turbine or two in a self designed project.

As soon turbines get a little less expensive, more true r/c modelers will risk to develop his own creations.. there is a lot of talented young people today playing with electric depron models that are simply amazing and canīt wait to see what they are going to develop using their creativity.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.