Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Bavarian Cortex, install guidelines on jets?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Bavarian Cortex, install guidelines on jets?

Old 12-16-2014, 10:28 AM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bavarian Cortex, install guidelines on jets?

I recently got a unit, although I don't really see whats the big deal with gyros on jets I am willing to give it a try, does anyone have install instructions in jets? Also how are people dealing with high power servos, are you splitting the signal between the gyro and powerbox or having the output go to gyro and then to the rx?
Old 12-16-2014, 12:26 PM
rcjets_63
My Feedback: (4)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Disco,

Here are 12 pages of good stuff on installation/using the Cortex in jets in the Cortex thread. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...-question.html

Jim
Old 12-18-2014, 11:46 AM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

Soon I will start assembling my FB Dolphin. I plan on using JR 8711s on the elevators and and JR 8411s on ailerons. Looking at some of these posts it seems guys use a matchbox on the elevators. I have historically avoided that as it is a single point of failure. Will the MB handle the power requirements of 2 JR 8711s on the elevators? Will be using my first Cortex gyro in this thing. I am leaning toward 2 channels for elev, 2 for ailerons and a MB for rudder/NWS. Fire away!
Old 12-18-2014, 01:59 PM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tp777fo
Soon I will start assembling my FB Dolphin. I plan on using JR 8711s on the elevators and and JR 8411s on ailerons. Looking at some of these posts it seems guys use a matchbox on the elevators. I have historically avoided that as it is a single point of failure. Will the MB handle the power requirements of 2 JR 8711s on the elevators? Will be using my first Cortex gyro in this thing. I am leaning toward 2 channels for elev, 2 for ailerons and a MB for rudder/NWS. Fire away!
I've seen 3, 8711s per matchboxes used for Ailerons on 40% Aerobatics planes without any problems so I can't see why it shouldn't be able to handle 2, 8711s in a Jet.
If having the nose wheel steering active when the gear is retracted won't cause any problems then using a matchbox on the Rudder/NWS would be a good solution. Otherwise you will need use a matchbox on Ailerons or Elevators and disable the steering channel in one of the banks to keep the steering servo quiet when the gear is up. Another alternative would be to run a separate single axis gyro for the steering. A basic gyro probably costs about the same as a matchbox these days.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:03 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rcjets_63
Disco,

Here are 12 pages of good stuff on installation/using the Cortex in jets in the Cortex thread. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...-question.html

Jim

Good point.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:04 PM
DiscoWings

I think its wired this way, basically between the rx and the power expander.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	cortex.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	2056084  
Old 12-19-2014, 04:25 AM
RobinLeblond

Lol… What an amazing diagram you made!! ;-) Cannot resist sorry…
Old 12-19-2014, 01:55 PM
DiscoWings