Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Transmitter Control for Wheel Air Brakes...?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Transmitter Control for Wheel Air Brakes...?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 04:53 AM
Fly Mower

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmitter Control for Wheel Air Brakes...?

I’m currently contemplating by first venture in RC Jets and I have been trying to educate myself on the various aspect of Turbine install and operation etc.

One question I have which I can’t seem to answer by the powers of Google is what switch / mix / control etc. do you use to operate the air wheel brakes on your models..?

I’m a mode 2 flyer and interested how this should be configure on the transmitter – I’m also assuming its proportional in operation rather than just an on / off function….?

Last edited by Fly Mower; 12-22-2014 at 04:57 AM.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:03 AM
sysiek
My Feedback: (176)

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

I'm using the right slider and electronic valve.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:20 AM
AnthonyW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In addition to a 3 position switch (Off, Drag, Full on), mix with down elevator for proportional control.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:53 AM
Fly Mower

Originally Posted by AnthonyW
In addition to a 3 position switch (Off, Drag, Full on), mix with down elevator for proportional control.

So is it usual convention to use the down elevator to operate the brakes..?

I have a DX18 and regularly use flight modes; so I would have a ‘Take off’ and ‘Landing mode’ that would drop the gear and enable the brakes and the allow mixing of the down elevator (centre to full down) to proportionally operate the brakes (off to full).
Clearly in an actually flying or gear up mode I would disable this.

Does this sound okay? I guess I’m really asking so another more skilled pilot could check out my plane with the correct convention around brake operation.

Thanks
Old 12-22-2014, 05:54 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Right slider is what I use.

I would not use the elevator channel unless you are out of channels. If your landing a little hot and go down elevator to engage brakes and can make it hop on the nose and break the nose gear and also on a short runway when you should be using all the elevator you have to keep it airborne to bleed off speed you end up doing a carrier landing and slamming down elevator.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:00 AM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Right slider as well
Old 12-22-2014, 07:19 AM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

UP-6 valve and right slider
Old 12-22-2014, 07:19 AM
youngguy
My Feedback: (7)

Originally Posted by gunradd
Right slider is what I use.

I would not use the elevator channel unless you are out of channels. If your landing a little hot and go down elevator to engage brakes and can make it hop on the nose and break the nose gear and also on a short runway when you should be using all the elevator you have to keep it airborne to bleed off speed you end up doing a carrier landing and slamming down elevator.
It is also nice to be able to engage your brakes while doing startups and leaving them on during the process.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:28 AM
rcjets_63
My Feedback: (4)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Right slider and UP-6 valve, pull slider towards you to brake. I've tweeked the ATV and sub-trim so having the slider at the mid point gives smooth moderate braking during landing roll out. Slider all the way back is brakes on full (and parking brake)

Last edited by rcjets_63; 12-22-2014 at 07:38 AM.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:33 AM
raron455
My Feedback: (38)

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Dx-18 up-6 valve on brake, using the right slider, pushing the slider up towards the antenna gives full brake. No mixing with elevator
Old 12-22-2014, 08:34 AM
madmodelman

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you'll find most US guys use a slider due to their parking brake rules, in the UK most guys use the down elevator mix.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:38 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

Right Slider, very simple, no mixes needed. And you can use it as a parking brake while firing up the turbine.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:55 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Right slider with up6 valve and some curve tweets to give a nice smooth linear braking action.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:07 AM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Fly Mower

I have a DX18 and regularly use flight modes; so I would have a ‘Take off’ and ‘Landing mode’ that would drop the gear and enable the brakes and the allow mixing of the down elevator (centre to full down) to proportionally operate the brakes (off to full).

Does this sound okay? I guess I’m really asking so another more skilled pilot could check out my plane with the correct convention around brake operation.

Thanks
No, Mixing down elevator is an option but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's the convention except for those who don't have enough channels. Many (perhaps most?) with enough channels dedicate one to brakes and use a right side slider.

There's is perhaps also a trend toward electrically driven gear and electromagnetic brakes and potentially more reliable and less hassle than air. That's not a given though, and there are proponents for both methods.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:07 AM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Fly Mower

Thanks
No, Mixing down elevator is an option but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's the convention except for those who don't have enough channels. Many (perhaps most?) with enough channels dedicate one to brakes and use a right side slider.

There's is perhaps also a trend toward electrically driven gear and electromagnetic brakes and potentially more reliable and less hassle than air. That's not a given though, and there are proponents for both methods.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:38 AM
Jeti USA

Guys with Jeti DS-16 are using built in proportional gyros, tilt transmitter towards you activates wheel brakes.
We also recommend combine your air system with Telemetry Air Pressure Sensor Jeti MBar.

Zb/Jeti USA

Last edited by Jeti USA; 12-22-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:40 AM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

I use a BVM Smooth Stop II on the right slider(AUX 3, JR12X).. The Smooth Stop is totally proportional and offers a parking brake. Slider up is brakes off, down is brakes on.
Also, I use three flight modes, controlled by the flap switch. Flight modes are neat, as you can independently trim them and they retain their trim memory. They reduce the pilot workload substantially.
I do not mix the landing gear to a flight mode. The landing gear is totally independent of any other control.
If you mix the landing gear to the flight modes, the gear would retract when the flaps go up. This makes the landing gear doors unhappy.

Flight mode (Flap) switch position assignment:
Switch top position: Flight mode 0, clean airframe.
Switch center position: Flight mode 1, flaps at take off position.
Switch lower position: Flight mode 2, flaps at landing position.Flight mode 2 can also contain a mixer to allow "Crow". I use this on my KingCat.
I also use the servo slow feature to prevent quick pitch changes when actuating the flaps.You can do this with your DX18.
I usually retract the gear, then the flaps after take off.
When landing, I reduce power to about 1/3, drop the gear, then lower the flaps to the take off position, then to the landing position after bleeding off some airspeed. the airplane has slowed down.

It is best, IMHO, to make the 'switchology" as simple as possible...use the 'KISS' principle".
Old 12-22-2014, 11:12 AM
Ruizmilton
My Feedback: (29)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

+1 on right slider and UP-6 or BVM smoothstop...
Old 12-22-2014, 11:15 AM
jws_aces
My Feedback: (33)

+1 right slider and BVM also Up3 on different jets.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:16 AM
jws_aces
My Feedback: (33)

Good to know that everone is set up the same so I can fly them all
Old 12-22-2014, 11:58 AM
bluescoobydoo

if this is your first jet keep it simple and cheap use a on/off switch, which ever one you find the simplest to operate and apply a little lube to the brake to stop it locking the wheel then if you need to just flick it on and off
Old 12-22-2014, 02:22 PM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyW
IMHO......NEVER use "Down Elevator"!! That is the old way, when there weren't enough channels on the radios! The jets you see bouncing down the runway, are the ones that are using down elevator! This lifts the jet's weight off of the mains, thus reducing braking action when the wheels are in contact with the pavement; and if the pilot was too fast, it bounces down the runway. Use what becomes the "Non-flying Hand". After the mains touch down the left hand becomes the flying hand, so, the right slider is the best choice and can be proportional. The guys' who use a 3 position switch are also the ones you see spin out, due the locking of the brakes. BVM Smooth Stop/servo/ and right slider/ 12X

Last edited by RCFlyerDan; 12-22-2014 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:31 PM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

U.P. 6 using right slider and elevator when the gear is down. Elevator to brake mix is set up so it won't lock, only slow things down. Slider is set to do the same, but also lock for starts. I have found that the elevator stick is by far more precise than slider, especially when you consider expo.

Last edited by Len Todd; 12-22-2014 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:42 PM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

There is a reason that full down elevator isn't used on full scale jets after landing, until below 80 knots. Full down below 80 knots is for positive steering, especially for loss of engine, wet runway, or ice/snow runway. Using full down elevator prior to 80 knots lifts the jets off of the mains and isn't the most affective way to stop a jet.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:49 PM
mackeyjones

Right slider with electronic brake valve, a good quality 14 channel radio isnt all that expensive these days, upgrade and sell your old one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.