Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Transmitter Control for Wheel Air Brakes...?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Transmitter Control for Wheel Air Brakes...?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 05:30 AM
toolmaker7341

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use down elevator and smooth stop KISS and never ever had a bounce or wheelbarrow on the nose gear with this setup. Proper landing speed is required and hot landings are a no no go around.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:49 PM
tnsundayflyr
My Feedback: (2)

I have a DX8 and would like to use the hold switch for electric brakes on my Stinger 90 have tried to assign switch but just says inh and wont change ? I have looked everywhere for info on change this switch function but no such luck Thanks Guys
Old 04-03-2015, 05:17 PM
Dieselman1220
My Feedback: (25)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tnsundayflyr
I have a DX8 and would like to use the hold switch for electric brakes on my Stinger 90 have tried to assign switch but just says inh and wont change ? I have looked everywhere for info on change this switch function but no such luck Thanks Guys
On my sport jets I use my trainer switch with a xicoy single action valve, I then program the right slider as the trim for it so I can also have a parking brake. Cheap, easy, and reliable. Not sure if the dx8 has a slider though??
Old 04-03-2015, 07:53 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I think you'll find most US guys use a slider due to their parking brake rules, in the UK most guys use the down elevator mix.
Rule? Does the AMA have a parking brake rule?

John.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:05 AM
bluelevel
My Feedback: (39)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I fly mode 1 with a tray type radio and although my Jeti DC-16 has sliders, they are somewhat hard to reach. I also prefer to control the brakes with the elevator stick, as this is an easy to reach control and gives me full proportional brakes. To prevent a bounce or wheelbarrow I am using some programming in my radio.

First of all I need to detect the landing flare state, this is done with 3 logical switches that all need to be active at the same time:

- gear is down
- flaps are deflected 60% or more
- throttle is below 5%

This presets the brakes to 50% travel and gives me a smooth braking as soon as the mains touch the ground. Since a jet with full (or almost full) flaps down needs at least 30 - 40% throttle, the brakes are not activated too early. Even if they were, the electronic "no loss" brake valve doesn't waste too much air, so I have plenty of air left.

If required, I can increase the braking force with the elevator stick, but I have programmed a curve for the down elevator mix that only uses the first 50% of stick movement. With the expo that comes into play here too, the elevators actually do not travel down very much before the jet stops.

Thomas

Last edited by bluelevel; 04-04-2015 at 08:09 AM.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:43 AM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by Boomerang1
Rule? Does the AMA have a parking brake rule?

John.
No, they just have to be able to stop on command from the Xtr.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:32 PM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Fly Mower
I’m currently contemplating by first venture in RC Jets and I have been trying to educate myself on the various aspect of Turbine install and operation etc.

One question I have which I can’t seem to answer by the powers of Google is what switch / mix / control etc. do you use to operate the air wheel brakes on your models..?

I’m a mode 2 flyer and interested how this should be configure on the transmitter – I’m also assuming its proportional in operation rather than just an on / off function….?
I use the accelerometer in my Tx to control wheel brakes. Tilt Tx 45 degrees towards me = break.

As for parking brake se the picture :-D

Last edited by Henke Torphammar; 04-04-2015 at 11:35 PM.