Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

First Impression of new I gyro 3E ( Flying )

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

First Impression of new I gyro 3E ( Flying )

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 11:09 AM
jayman618
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me understand this correctly. If I am flying toward me in level flight and roll 90 degrees to knife edge I can let go of the right stick ( aileron, elevator) and I only need to use the rudder to maintain the knife edge. Is this correct in the heading hold position.

Thanks

Jay
Old 12-29-2014, 11:51 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Jay it sounds like it works like the eagle tree guardians heading hold. If it does then you only need to roll it knife edge. The gyro will handle the rudder for you. The cheap little $60 eagle tree has been doing this for a while its about time these high end gyros do the same. When you take you sticks out of center it turns heading hold off and works like normal.

Now keep in mind you need an aircraft capable of holding knife edge.

I just don't really like the feel of heading hold with my scale jets so I use normal mode. The problem I have with heading hold is the plane just does not feel natural for instance my F22 when slow flies with the nose high when throttle is advanced it will level out and fly straight. With heading hold the gyro will hold the nose up and it climbs and needs to be corrected to fly level. This can be a problem in scale competition. But if your flying a sport jet or a training wheel scale jet like an L39 or hawk with speed heading hold would be great.

Very interested to know how the plane knows whens its on the ground with the Igyro3 so it wont keep moving the servos full deflection. On mine I need to turn it off after landing or my rudders will move full deflection if I rotate the plane while ground handling. Looks like a nice unit would love to try one.

Last edited by gunradd; 12-29-2014 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:09 PM
jayman618

Gunradd: Thanks for the info. I fly a F 16 1/6 scale and it would be nice to have some help on edge. I read the I-Gyro info and on heading hold it states it will only lock the ailerons and elevator. The rudder will only work in normal mode even if you are flying in heading hold mode. I have never used a gyro but am wanting to get one so any other comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jay
Old 12-29-2014, 01:43 PM
Ali

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi Richard.
We have a jet meeting tomorrow here in the UK. The weather is looking cold but fine I will tsp the heading hold aspect of the 3E tomorrow and let you know my thoughts.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:48 PM
JackD
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gunradd
Jay it sounds like it works like the eagle tree guardians heading hold. If it does then you only need to roll it knife edge. The gyro will handle the rudder for you. The cheap little $60 eagle tree has been doing this for a while its about time these high end gyros do the same. When you take you sticks out of center it turns heading hold off and works like normal.

Now keep in mind you need an aircraft capable of holding knife edge.

I just don't really like the feel of heading hold with my scale jets so I use normal mode. The problem I have with heading hold is the plane just does not feel natural for instance my F22 when slow flies with the nose high when throttle is advanced it will level out and fly straight. With heading hold the gyro will hold the nose up and it climbs and needs to be corrected to fly level. This can be a problem in scale competition. But if your flying a sport jet or a training wheel scale jet like an L39 or hawk with speed heading hold would be great.

Very interested to know how the plane knows whens its on the ground with the Igyro3 so it wont keep moving the servos full deflection. On mine I need to turn it off after landing or my rudders will move full deflection if I rotate the plane while ground handling. Looks like a nice unit would love to try one.
Kris,

i agree with you, I dislike the HH feeling on an airplane. I like the plane to be true to it's aerodynamic tendencies, like dropping the nose when speed drops, describing a parabole in inverted, etc etc. Otherwise, I need to "unlearn" 40 years worth of muscle memory

But, on rate mode, the gyros are awesome!. I am flying a Cortex and it has been great, and I have an gyro 3 for my electra which I expect to try in a few days

One thing I'm really liking about the igyro, is that all channels have power, unlike the cortex, where only 2 are powered. It will make no difference on the electra, but it will in a bigger plane.

Regarding the eagle tree: I sent you a PM...

I'll report back on the iGyro after I fly it

Jack
Old 12-29-2014, 05:21 PM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't like HH on Elevator, but I do like it on Aileron. The wing stays wherever I leave.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:33 PM
jws_aces
My Feedback: (33)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok I am starting to understand it. Gun on the cortex could you just put the gyro on a 3 way switch. say up be normal, middle off and down heading. So you could then switch between them depending on what you would want to do?

I have mine on the Flight mode now in normal mode with different gain settings depending on flight mode.

I really don't like it much gain in regular flight but enjoy the help in crosswind landings.

I could do the 3 way instead.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:33 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by FenderBean
Thanks you saved me the mess up of ordering the wrong unit, thanks the info. I wish I could talk you guys into making a power system just like the Robbe battery backer, I run SBus and the extra large gauge wire they use and the terminal boxes are what I like. I miss using powerbox items.
Mate, take a closer look at the PowerBox PowerBus stuff. Like you, I enjoyed the Robbe units and S-bus, but the PowerBus has some serious advantages over and above. Worth a good look...... Only pity, it is only available on the PowerBox Royale SRS unit....so you get the iGyro and door sequencer whether you want it or not.

Cheers,

Jan
Old 12-30-2014, 12:27 AM
PowerBox-Systems GmbH

Dear Fender Bean,
we have such PowerBoxes with PowerBus (S-BUS) output. The Royal SRS (including gyro) and the Champion SRS (no gyro) have this feature. PowerBus is 100% compatible to all S-BUS equipment!
Old 12-30-2014, 12:30 AM
PowerBox-Systems GmbH

Hello Gunradd:

I just don't really like the feel of heading hold with my scale jets so I use normal mode. The problem I have with heading hold is the plane just does not feel natural
You really should try out the HH of the iGyros. You will like the stick feeling of this Heading Hold!
Old 12-30-2014, 12:30 AM
PowerBox-Systems GmbH

double...

Last edited by PowerBox-Systems GmbH; 12-30-2014 at 01:42 AM.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:23 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Last edited by FenderBean; 12-30-2014 at 07:29 AM.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:40 AM
daveymg

To me, the term Heading Hold is a bit misleading, it is more of an Attitude Hold. I think Heading Hold has come from Helis where the gyro holds the nose in a fixed direction, countering tail and wind induced drift.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:20 AM
Ali

5 more flights today. I tried Heading hold in 4 of these. Yes. As Richard says. By far the best heading hold functionality of any Gyro that I have ever tried. However. It is for sure more noticeable that the gyro system is active. Where as in non heading hold there is little to no way to feel that the gyro is actually fitted. Other then the improvement in the way the model flew. I have mine set up exactly how the quick guide suggested. A three position switch with o% in the middle and 40% + and - Either end. I can then switch the gyro off and in between heading and normal mode. This really shows what a difference the gyro makes to the model in the air. After about 3 or 4 flights, I am now switching on and making the complete flight in normal mode. An amazing piece of equipment that improves the way any model flies.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:16 AM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ali, thanks for sharing your experiences with this new unit, and for comparing it with your original iGyro and cortex experience by using terms we can understand. It's obvious you are trying to help those of us still trying to wrap our heads around what gyros can and can't do, and our expectations for what it can and can't do for each person(and model)'s flying. It can be a confusing topic and I feel it shouldn't be....yet I still find it is.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:50 AM
Ali

No problem Sean. I have been playing with Gyros since before they were cool Ha Ha. I am a big fan. Especially of this latest generation. The 3E really takes it to another level. Its so super simple to set up ( Dare I say fool proof ) and when in the Air. You get all the benefits of a gyro. With none of the interaction or intrusion that the early systems sometimes exhibited.
For me. I just cant see why I would have a scale jet ( Even allot of sport jets ) without one. If I can convince one hobbyist at a time that they are not a flight control system/ Autopilot, and they do not fly the plane for you, or are the work of the devil LOL. And that their real benefit comes in smoothening out a plane and the way it flies. Making things feel bigger and smoother. Then its effort worthwhile.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:09 AM
mullerr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ali,
I would also like to express my appreciation, you are a trustworthy source for unbiased straight forward advice.
Most recently we met up here in Canada, you flew all my jets and had many helpfull recommendations, including adding a gyro on my f15. I have since added one, and as you predicted my flights now look and feel much more stable and scale like, specialy at landing.
I am now considering a 3 axis gyro on my Classic Flash, not so much for flight characteristics but to possibly eliminate the porpusing on landings, which was something I thought I caused! Until you pointed out otherwise.
Looking back at 2014, the evenings spent with yourself, Gary and Chuck was a highlight! Sad but true, and oh ya the flying was fun too!
If you get the chance to come back to Wingham in 2015, I will ensure a good supply of fine chocolate and Gary will choose a liquid you both seam to appreciate immensely.
All the best to you and your family in 2015.
Richard.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:08 AM
jayman618

Ali, and everyone else thanks for your helpful and honest input. I will order one of these and I look forward to getting the results they can provide.

Thanks

Jay
Old 12-31-2014, 10:27 AM
Ali

Hey Richard. Great to hear from you again. Those days at Wingham were great indeed. Very fond memories and an event that is on my list year to year without fail. Blair is such an amazing host, and I love the time I get to spend with Chuckasorass
Glad to hear that the Gyro worked out on your F15. That particular jet is one of many that really do benefit allot from the use of a gyro. Fit a I gyro 3E to your Classic flash. I am sure it will not only help with the landing, but also the rolling manoeuvres.
I look forward to Wingham 2015. I will bring a token of the United Kingdoms finest malt. Although I have to say. Of late I have been getting really good experiences with what Japan has to offer! Either way. It will be a good night once again I am sure.
Jay.. You are very welcome. Its been a while since I got the inclination to get back on RCU and post like this. It had become either a battle ground. Or a advertising space.. Often both ! Good luck with your 3E. Whatever you choose to fit it to. I am confident that you will notice an improvement in the way it flies and feels.
Regards Al
Old 12-31-2014, 11:06 AM
Mike Haddox

Need some help please. I am running a very simple system on my Skygate Hawk. I am using y connectors on my elevators, ailerons and rudder.
Will the 3E gyro work under these conditions? Do I plug each y connector into the gyro and leave the other ports empty? Thanks for the help. Mike
Old 12-31-2014, 03:09 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Ali and Richard,

If the 3e feels different and maybe even better than the original iGyro - should/will PowerBox update the iGyro software/Firmware to be the same?

Thanks for the input (sic).

Cheers,

Jan
Old 12-31-2014, 04:15 PM
jcterrettaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Ali , I order the Gyro for my Christen Diffusion Mirage ... See you in Wing ham . Happy new year and a big THANK YOU for helping the new guys flying turbine like me and my friends.
Cheers
Old 01-01-2015, 01:50 AM
Ali

Cool! I am sure that you will one it and it will make that Mirage fly allot better. See you at Wingham and if its there and I can help with the set up. You know that you only have to ask.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:07 AM
DUCMOZ

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi Jack

please let us know how it goes with Electra. I have one of these and was thinking of installing it in the Electra but am always scared of messing it up so has never ventured in the the Gyro world.

Thanks

Behzad
Old 01-01-2015, 10:24 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by DUCMOZ
Hi Jack

please let us know how it goes with Electra. I have one of these and was thinking of installing it in the Electra but am always scared of messing it up so has never ventured in the the Gyro world.

Thanks

Behzad

You'll love it in your Electra! Makes it even more solid feeling!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.