Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

First Impression of new I gyro 3E ( Flying )

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

First Impression of new I gyro 3E ( Flying )

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 11:17 AM
David Gladwin

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by PowerBox-Systems GmbH
I

The iGyro3e will definitiv keep a twin engine model straight with heading mode on.
I am sure the new gyro is a s good as it gets , and I have the highest regard for Powerbox products (use them a lot) but I very much doubt that it can keep all twins straight with an engine out.

Some jets, with large fins and near centerline thrust will handle an engine out situation even without a gyro (like my FC Mig 29 with its HUGE fins) but something liken AirWorld ME262, with outboard engines and a small rudder, no way ! (The fulllsize ME262 had a single engine safety speed of 180knots , below that it was uncontrollable, according to Capt. Eric Brown, with whom I have discussed its handling compared with the Meteor and Canberra, similarly configured jets)

The gyro will try to correct, but the near certainty is that the control power (size and deflection of control surface, principally the rudder, plus airspeed) is just insufficient to keep things under control despite the best efforts of the Igyro.

Happy new year to all.

David.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:46 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I have not used a gyro on pitch yet. I use mixing or flight mode trims to take out any pitching caused by flaps. Does the igyro 3e reduce or even remove that need? Would you cancel flap to ele trims before using the igyro 3e? With gyro in normal, not HH mode.

Last edited by HarryC; 01-01-2015 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:27 PM
husafreak
My Feedback: (3)

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Just a WAG but generally you still want your mechanical and pre programmed settings to be effective before the gyro goes to work. Get your plane flying well before using the gyro or with the gyro off. Your gyro will be happier if it doesn't have to work too hard.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:42 PM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I agree. I am sure that the 3E ( like any gyro ) will assist in dealing with an engine out situation, but in my opinion it won't take care of it for us. As David has explained. There are many other factors involved in dealing with a single engine situation.
To me. This goes back to a common misconception about Gyros. They are not flight control systems. They are dampeners. They help smooth out the lumps, bumps and fidgets that we often get with our model planes. I have yet to see one that will take control of the model and fly it for us!
Harry. Once again. I think the 3E will assist. But I very much doubt that it will eliminate the need for flap-elv mixing / compensation. My L-29 still has a chunk of trim that comes in as the three flight modes are activated ( Flaps up/ Take off flap and landing flap )
I too make my first flights with no Gyro. Get the model trimmed and flying as well as possible Then incorporate the gyro. That way. If for any reason I need to switch the gyro off .I have a solid base set up to go back to.

Last edited by Ali; 01-01-2015 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:51 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

A few things.

@ Ali, thanks for the great write up! Like you, I prefer a natural feel, as if your plane is flying better or flying the same in the wind as it does in the calm, like you said, less intrusive.

About the Cortex, since I own a few and its what I know. You can set individual gains on each axis, not on the fly so to speak, but you can use the PC interface to lower or raise the gain on any individual channel, any gain change made by the transmitter would take that into account. Also, you have two gain banks. You can have them heading hold, off, normal but thats not required. You can have them as normal with less gain, off, normal with more gain etc, what goes on in that bank can be set by the interface. I could have all 3 axis active in normal in bank 1 and just the rudder and elevator in bank 2 in heading hold. Most people (and doing some testing for my magazine I flew it in several aircraft in just about any configuration i can think of) don't need to mess with individual gains but if you really want to get the last percent of performance, its there if you desire it.

@HarryC A gyro, especially in normal mode, will dampen out unwanted movement but it won't stop it. So you want to get your mixing correct first and then let the gyro keep things smooth. If by deploying the flaps your nose wants to pitch up, with the gyro it will still do so, but at a slower and more manageable rate than if you didn't have one. Hope that makes sense.

I'd love to get my hands on an iGyro do to some testing

Last edited by BarracudaHockey; 01-01-2015 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:42 PM
HarryC

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks Ali
Old 01-01-2015, 03:14 PM
Ali

No problem
Old 01-01-2015, 05:14 PM
husafreak
My Feedback: (3)

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

I should probably mention that I purchased an iGyro 3E for my next jet due to it (SM Cougar) having a narrow track landing gear and it will be my first experience with a gyro in a jet. I am more exited about it after reading this thread. The dead easy set and forget nature of the 3E is definitely more my style. I bet a lot of the knowledge gained by the designers of its big brother full function gyro have been incorporated into the pre programmed gains in this simpler unit.
I have experience with them in helis where they are a necessity and tiny eflight planes like the Beast and Habu 180 where they are just amazing. I have one in a 3D plane (the Spectrum Rx/gyro combo) and I don't like it for 3D much. But jets are smooth so I really resisted. It sounds like setting it up the way Ali is describing it will be nice, where you don't notice it working so much as you notice the plane just flies better. I know many fine jet fliers who rave about them and I guess now is the time for me to give it a try.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:44 PM
hbutler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The way husafreak flies his hawk, you would think there was a gyro on board. Impressive pilot. Among other things, saw a few super low inverted passes on the deck today.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:32 PM
gonzalom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got one too and it's going into the Electra for next weekend!

Gonzalo
Old 01-06-2015, 09:03 AM
Ali

Here is a video of the 3E in action. I am switching between Normal gain and heading gain in this flight. Gain values are still set to 40% so pretty low and subtle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDBdTsfdaII
Old 01-06-2015, 09:46 AM
Bob_B

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Al, It looks like a really nice flying jet!
Old 01-06-2015, 01:49 PM
jws_aces
My Feedback: (33)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ali
Here is a video of the 3E in action. I am switching between Normal gain and heading gain in this flight. Gain values are still set to 40% so pretty low and subtle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDBdTsfdaII
One word "SMOOTH"

Admit it Ali you don't need a gyro..I love your style.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:58 PM
jcterrettaz

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Ali is the GYRO, the ultimate pilot.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:13 PM
Philip Cooper

So if your gyro was to come loose or the board it was on move you might have a problem? Guess it is just very important that it is secure and cannot move?

Looks good.

Ali, not going off topic but is the MB339 kit you have in your latest dvd a Aermacchi kit? (ready to get moved off topic )
Old 01-13-2015, 02:52 PM
Ali

Yes. A securely mounted gyro is a must! The good news is all the of I gyros are supplied with some seriously strong mounting tape. If this is affixed to a smooth and clean surface, its going to take a fair bit of moving.
However. Just in case. I set mine up so at the flick of a switch I can zero the gain thus turning the gyro function off immediately.
The MB339 in the video is from a C and C kit from Italy. Great flying jet!
Regards Al
Old 01-14-2015, 01:19 PM
Philip Cooper

Cool cheers the gyro sounds worth a punt, are these about in the UK yet? Checked my local jet store alshobbies and they weren't on the site yet?

Thet MB339 looks a good size for the apron at North Weald. Looks cool, and has a decent pair of wings on it.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:06 PM
Ali

Ahhh Sorry about that. I will get them to put them on the site. Let me know if and when you want one. The MB is an ideal jet for any size runway. It really is a scale jet that every bit as practical as a sport jet. That one from the video is for sale I think, ready to fly less Merlin 100, or maybe even with M100 ( I would need to ask the owner ) I can even fit a 3E for you if you wanted as the owner is a good mate of mine.
Regards Al
Old 01-15-2015, 12:01 AM
Philip Cooper

Hi Ali, I just PM'd you but it doesn't seem to show in my sent folder.

How much does he want for it?
Old 01-15-2015, 05:33 AM
essyou35

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Wheres the cheapest place to by these?
Old 01-15-2015, 05:57 AM
jcterrettaz

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Dreamwork , Altercare maybe BVM
Old 01-15-2015, 08:17 AM
JJP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Duralite Flight Systems
Old 01-22-2015, 02:04 PM
jason

I want to fit a 3E in a Bobcat, so one elevator servo and two rudder servos. Is it possible to assign two of the outputs to rudder and only have one for the elevator? I have had a quick look on the software but can't see an option to change this.
thanks
Jason
Old 01-22-2015, 04:12 PM
Bob_B

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Good question Jason. I'm hoping that the I/O's can be used to stabilize any function like the Cortex.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:44 PM
jason

Yes I hope so too because a Y lead to the rudders is not an option as one needs reversing.

J

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.