Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

First Impression of new I gyro 3E ( Flying )

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

First Impression of new I gyro 3E ( Flying )

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 12:23 PM
RC_MAN
My Feedback: (11)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Does this gyro have to be mounted on the aircraft centerline?
Old 01-23-2015, 12:35 PM
BarracudaHockey

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

No gyro does. It has to be flat to the axis its controlling.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:46 AM
BarracudaHockey

Got my iGyro today, looking through the manual and excited to get started
Old 02-01-2015, 09:55 PM
jagfab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@ ali / richard or any experts have a question on the setup.

have a power box competition SRS mounted with 2 x futaba R7008SB receivers in channel 1 & 4 on the RX side. there are no sbus drivers on board. all standard servos (HV)
to the best of my knowledge the i-gyro3e would work, kindly confirm

thanks
Old 02-02-2015, 01:01 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

If you are not using the match channel function or two servos (as a Y lead) from one output you can put the iGyro 3e between the PB and servos.

Dave
Old 02-02-2015, 03:19 AM
jagfab

dave thanks for the replies,
no Y-connectors on board,
just intrigued as to how the servo match function affect the use of the gyro

sorry if the Q is dumb.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:32 AM
Dave Wilshere

No question is dumb if you don't know the answer!

You can't use the servo match. In this case the iGyro SRS is needed using the BUS system

Regards

Dave
Old 02-04-2015, 07:45 PM
toti_ducati
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
No question is dumb if you don't know the answer!

You can't use the servo match. In this case the iGyro SRS is needed using the BUS system

Regards

Dave
Hi! I have 2 servos on my hawk no servo match as I have it on 2 channels to control ATV, using 14 channel rx on 18mz. I want to get the igyro3e my first gyro does it have ports for 2 elev servos? Do I plug servos direct to it and plug to emcotex rv then to rx?
Old 02-05-2015, 12:24 AM
Dave Wilshere

Two servos on one beam? No matching in the Emcotec thing? There are two elevator ports.

Dave
Old 02-06-2015, 07:56 PM
r 3

Hi
I fitted this gyro to my Xcalibur and found that with very little gain 10 % it started to porpoise badly. So I have removed it and thinking of fitting it to my Harpoon 2 just wondering has any of you guys fitted it to a delta.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:17 AM
toti_ducati

Two servos on one beam? No matching in the Emcotec thing? There are two elevator ports.

Dave
Hi Dave thank you I down loaded the manual already, i ordered one from dreams works and its clearing customs now.
yes its 2 servos for one elevator my skygate hawk is the one with 2 servos at the back with a short arm to the elevator

Hi Ali- After reading the set up to know the gain doing that sounds too difficult for me, I Was planning to just put on a 3 way switch right away and set to 1 to zero Normal 2- 40 normal and 3- 35 avcs to try it out, similar to the quick set up you did. my 18MZ doesn't have plus minus on the gain so I pressume head hold is AVCS

I hope some one who has a carf skygate hawk can chime in on the gains

this is my first Gyro and my question is how do you know if its stalling as with out a gyro I watch for wing rock before it stalls I pressume with the gyro that would go away?
so is it normal for flying and head hold for full flaps landing approach?
Old 02-09-2015, 06:56 PM
MMV

My first Jet , Aviation Design Scorpion with MX-140 flew it once last year , was very nervous, but manage to fly it OK , landing was not good, was to fast and did not keep it on back landing gear long enough so did a front wheel bounce and ended after 3 bounces breaking off 2 of my behotech landing gears, although I have many years in Heli flying and other large sports 3D planes , I have experience with many types of Gyros, JR, Futaba, others, from the old mechanical ones to the most advanced, I have an Eagle Tree installed in a 3D Aeroworks Pro 260 , its OK but not good enough to install in my expansive jet.
I believe after reading all this post that the Power Box iGyro 3e sounds like a very nice tool to help me stabilize and fly this Scorpion with more confidence, I do understand it will help smooth out the flight, and hopefully my landings.
I already have PowerBox Competition SRS installed so I know the company's reputation and quality products so any comments are welcome.

Last edited by MMV; 02-09-2015 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:12 PM
husafreak
My Feedback: (3)

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

In my humble opinion the hardest part of transitioning to jets is learning how to get them back on the ground. A gyro may help but don't feel too bad about bouncing a tricycle gear jet. It is part of the learning curve for a lot of us getting into turbines. You can find the correct landing attitude and speed envelope for your Scorpion with or without a gyro.
That said i am hearing nothing but good things about this gyro. And a friend who used the Eagle Tree successfully in a couple jets has now removed them and replaced them with Cortex and iGyro. This is someone I trust.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:45 AM
DEMONjoe

Originally Posted by JackD
.....is that all channels have power, unlike the CORTEX, where only 2 are powered.
Well, actually inside the unit you have a "power bus", all run through the servo ports. So of course all servos are powered the same way. Basically like a Master/Slave BEC works: of course there are only 2 power lines going in, but still way enough to insure power to all your servos. Rated at 10A permanent load (internally tested way higher without failing) you whould be more than fine on large models too. No worries here.
Old 02-13-2015, 02:46 AM
xcghxhg

How does the heading work? Can you overide the controls and change the heading or does keep returning the ship to it original heading after your imputs simular to the helicopter?
Old 02-13-2015, 03:29 AM
jason

Originally Posted by xcghxhg
How does the heading work? Can you overide the controls and change the heading or does keep returning the ship to it original heading after your imputs simular to the helicopter?
Yes, it stays locked on the the heading until you touch a stick. The rudder is not in heading hold mode unless you turn it on. So, if in heading hold mode and you raise the nose, the elevator will go down and stay down until you either retouch the stick or move the nose back down. Strangely the Coretex (which I have had miles better results with) don't do this in heading hold. The surface just returns slowly.

Last edited by jason; 02-13-2015 at 03:34 AM.
Old 02-13-2015, 04:15 AM
Bob_B

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by toti_ducati

Hi Ali- After reading the set up to know the gain doing that sounds too difficult for me, I Was planning to just put on a 3 way switch right away and set to 1 to zero Normal 2- 40 normal and 3- 35 avcs to try it out, similar to the quick set up you did. my 18MZ doesn't have plus minus on the gain so I pressume head hold is AVCS
Yes you can set you radio gyro switch to "AVCS" to have the gyro switch to heading hold mode.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:08 AM
Dave Wilshere

Originally Posted by jason
Yes, it stays locked on the the heading until you touch a stick. The rudder is not in heading hold mode unless you turn it on. So, if in heading hold mode and you raise the nose, the elevator will go down and stay down until you either retouch the stick or move the nose back down. Strangely the Coretex (which I have had miles better results with) don't do this in heading hold. The surface just returns slowly.
So the Cortex does not have real heading hold! Its a thing to get used to (heading hold), most people will fly in rate mode most of the time just to damp the aircrafts movement, I guess what you have is an airframe that needs more than rate dampning and you don't like the feel of real heading hold...When I first had heli's with a real heading hold tail gyro I didn't like the feel, but I soon found the advantages.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:18 AM
Bob_B

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

The Cortex I've been flying behaves just like any Heli I've flown using heading hold mode.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:38 AM
BarracudaHockey

The Cortex in heading hold really isn't meant for the type of flying we do with jets, its made for hovering and torque rolling 3D planes.

I like what iGyro did, heading hold with the sticks released but reverting to rate mode with input.

Also, you can set the Cortex up in rate mode in both banks with the interface with different gains, or gain tied to a flight mode or whatever
Old 02-14-2015, 12:14 PM
snauwaertj

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see the question has been asked several times, and nobody answered. Can the channels be connected to dual rudder, a canard front wing or vector thrust? Since last year I realy got the taste for 3D jets, I made a mirage 2000 with vector trust. Now there are 2 multiplex gyros inside, one controls the elevon and dampens, the other one controls the vector thrust and is only used in heading hold. The problem I have now is that the heading hold of the vector thrust is not reliable enough. I can hoover for as long as I want sometimes, and other times the gyro starts to panic after a few seconds and shakes the airplane dangerously. I can not blaim it for the cheap price.
Would it be possible to use one Igyro 3e instead? It has enough connections, but can I program elevon rudder vector an up-down vector to it?

My next project is a vector thrust J10, this has 2 elevators, 2ailerons, front canard, rudder, left right vector thrust and up down vector thrust.
How would I connect the I gyro here? Can I use Y leads and put the rudder and left-right vector thrust together, put the canard and up-down vector thrust together and put the 2 elevators also on a y lead together?

I am wonder if anyone can help me with this?

Johan
Old 02-14-2015, 12:38 PM
Dave Wilshere

Originally Posted by snauwaertj
I see the question has been asked several times, and nobody answered. Can the channels be connected to dual rudder, a canard front wing or vector thrust? Since last year I realy got the taste for 3D jets, I made a mirage 2000 with vector trust. Now there are 2 multiplex gyros inside, one controls the elevon and dampens, the other one controls the vector thrust and is only used in heading hold. The problem I have now is that the heading hold of the vector thrust is not reliable enough. I can hoover for as long as I want sometimes, and other times the gyro starts to panic after a few seconds and shakes the airplane dangerously. I can not blaim it for the cheap price.
Would it be possible to use one Igyro 3e instead? It has enough connections, but can I program elevon rudder vector an up-down vector to it?

My next project is a vector thrust J10, this has 2 elevators, 2ailerons, front canard, rudder, left right vector thrust and up down vector thrust.
How would I connect the I gyro here? Can I use Y leads and put the rudder and left-right vector thrust together, put the canard and up-down vector thrust together and put the 2 elevators also on a y lead together?

I am wonder if anyone can help me with this?

Johan
Johan

1st Powerbox has a fantastic help forum with the designer answering questions! As always the best source will be him.
But. Some of them I can answer, dual rudders, only with a Y lead, or only having the gyro on one rudder (works great)

You can Y lead some things like you say, but the Elster team use an iGyro SRS and a Futaba heading hold heli gyro on the canards

The iGyro 3e is a low cost aeroplane gyro, CARF J-10 is a top line competition winning airframe that is quite complicated.
I guess it comes down to what radio you use.

Dave

One thing I would say is the vector quite often uses 100% gain and the rudder won't!
Old 02-14-2015, 12:44 PM
c_makhija

Tested the 3e on my 2M tomahawk viper today, it transformed this jet with a solid locked inn feel in windy conditions. I am extremely pleased with this product, which was a breeze to set up compared to the full size igyro.

It did a great job in rate mode at around 40% gain, then i flew her in heading mode and she did feel a bit strange as the locked inn feel had disappeared and was flying more or less as if the gyro was off. i am sure i am missing something in heading mode or is it only meant for aerobatics like KE and we need to move between rate and heading mode depending on the manoeuvres .

Chatty.
Old 02-14-2015, 01:08 PM
snauwaertj

Johan

1st Powerbox has a fantastic help forum with the designer answering questions! As always the best source will be him.
But. Some of them I can answer, dual rudders, only with a Y lead, or only having the gyro on one rudder (works great)

You can Y lead some things like you say, but the Elster team use an iGyro SRS and a Futaba heading hold heli gyro on the canards

The iGyro 3e is a low cost aeroplane gyro, CARF J-10 is a top line competition winning airframe that is quite complicated.
I guess it comes down to what radio you use.

Dave

One thing I would say is the vector quite often uses 100% gain and the rudder won't!
Thank you dave, I am getting a bit wiser again. I will try the powerbox forum for sure.
My J10 is not the top line CARF J10 but a cheap Taft foamy I am converting to hold a wren mw44, I did not mean to mislead anyone.
I have seen a movie from a sebart avanti that uses the I gyro only on vector thrust and seems to 3D just fine this way.

Johan
Old 02-14-2015, 02:53 PM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been flying the iGyro 3e on a prop warbird for the last month or so and I have to say I am quite pleased with it. I've only flown EagleTree stabilization systems before so I can't compare the iGyro 3e to the Coretex like some of you guys can. However, it's worth noting I only flew my EagleTree stabilizer systems for a season before removing them in favor of nothing at all. On the other hand, I am really hooked on the iGyro 3e. It feels just like I, and only I, am flying the airplane but with a lot more "presence" in terms of how the model feels (no bouncing around in gusts and each model I fly, flies like it's "bigger" without feeling heavy). I don't want to be redundant, I just want to back up what I read before and say, "yes, another positive bit of feedback on this product". Everything already on the books regarding ease of setup and transparency during flight yet effectiveness in operation is completely true in my experience.

I will likely buy another one as there are some models I feel that deserve to have this in them all the time while others I can deal with swapping them in and out depending on what I'm doing with the model.

Of note: I've been playing with the "heading hold" feature a bit more as I gain confidence in the system. At first I felt I'd never use it but with experience I see it has some very good applications for sure. I wish they would have called it "attitude hold" mode, however. This is becasue it has nothing to do with heading. Most people associate the word "heading" with yaw and there is absolutely nothing different about yaw in this mode. In fact the rudder is always on "rate" stabilization as any aircraft gyro behaves, no matter what mode, unless you switch the gains to "zero". If the gain is switched to zero it's like shutting the system off - the system essentially just passes direct servo commands from transmitter to model with no stabilization at all.

I'll be using on my A-4 next. I use a separate channel for my nose wheel steering so I can have a separate trim setting for NWS and not affect the rudder null point... so I'll have to look into how I'll set that up. I want aerodynamic rudder feed from the iGyro and also NWS feed, and I prefer not to simply "Y" harness the nose wheel to the rudder channel but if worse comes to worse I'd rather have the gyro assistance on both and lose the seperate NWS trim if I have to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.