Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

First Impression of new I gyro 3E ( Flying )

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

First Impression of new I gyro 3E ( Flying )

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 01:42 PM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default First Impression of new I gyro 3E ( Flying )

I am just back from 3 flights on the new I gyro 3E today. Over the past 6 -12 months, I have been getting great results from the Cortex units. I found the set up and in particular the "feel" of it in the air to be superb. I fitted the new I gyro 3E into my new Air C race L-29. Followed the instructions and set up as per the quick set up guide. I have to say. I am really, really impressed. Simple and quick to set up. Perfect feel at suggested throws and every bit as non intrusive as the Cortex in flight.
I am aiming to get some more flying in over the next week and start raising the gains, but so far I really cant fault it!

Please excuse the basic finish on the model. I simply threw some stickers onto the out of the box finish to get the test flights done before I get it painted.

Old 12-28-2014, 01:52 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Cool, Ali does this unit have the same feel as the bigger brother? I would think it would use the same
algorithms as the bigger brother.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:26 PM
Ali

I am going to stick my neck out and say its better. When the I gyro came out. It was exceptional. But when I first flew the Cortex. I have to admit that the " feel" was noticeably less intrusive, and dare I say it… Better.
The new 3E is every bit as good. I am not going to say better just yet as I have only had 3 flights so far. But its looking good.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:32 PM
FenderBean

Originally Posted by Ali
I am going to stick my neck out and say its better. When the I gyro came out. It was exceptional. But when I first flew the Cortex. I have to admit that the " feel" was noticeably less intrusive, and dare I say it… Better.
The new 3E is every bit as good. I am not going to say better just yet as I have only had 3 flights so far. But its looking good.
Thanks, I was going to go with the bigger version due to the GPS gain feature since I figured it would help with my Avanti and the wide range of speeds. Slow 3D to the fast flyby, im not sure this would even be a factor but im guessing thats why the added a gps feature in the first place. Thanks for the info, cheers!
Old 12-28-2014, 03:00 PM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice report Ali.

I too have the Cortex, but just received one of these. Thanks for the info.

Regards,
George

P.S. The L-29 looks great!
Old 12-28-2014, 06:12 PM
bidrseed2
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would i be right in thinking that the main difference (on paper) between the igro, the 3e and cortex is that the igyro has 1) gps adjusted gain and 2) allows you to adjust the gain on each axis.
In contrast the 3e and cortex only have a single gain setting for all three axis's. ( is this correct??)

If the above is correct then how does the single gain setting affect things in reality?
Old 12-28-2014, 11:52 PM
Ali

I am sure Richard will be along soon to clarify the differences ( Or someone who has spoken to Richard and asked the question ) For me the differences were in the way the gyro felt in flight and the simplicity of the set up. I am not sure what has changed in the computer Algorithm, but this gyro sure feels much more like its "not there" For me. Thats the most important quality that a gyro can have.
There is no external GPS module on the 3E. As I have just followed the quick step set up, and have not connected it to a computer. I am indeed adjusting all the gains on each axis in unison. I would bet that you can adjust them independently if you plug a lap top in. But for thats not for me. I use a gyro as a dampener. Not as a flight control system ( Contrary to what some people may say or think ) I only want it to smooth out the way in which the plane flies. So I find that I do not ever need to run the gains right up near the point where they are too high. With this in mind. I have never had a case with the Cortex's that I have flown where I have needed to adjust independent gains on each axis. The same with the 3E. I just went with the instructions guide for 40% gain and that felt perfect for me. Quick. Easy and reliable set up. All done pre flight and easily switched off if need be.
I will start to increase gains on the next flights to see what happens. Although I have a feeling that 40% ( As suggested by Powerbox ) is going to be close to where I want to be.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:54 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by bidrseed2
Would i be right in thinking that the main difference (on paper) between the igro, the 3e and cortex is that the igyro has 1) gps adjusted gain and 2) allows you to adjust the gain on each axis.
In contrast the 3e and cortex only have a single gain setting for all three axis's. ( is this correct??)

If the above is correct then how does the single gain setting affect things in reality?
Main difference is the iGyro is designed with BUS systems in mind and the 3e and Cortex are PWM only.
Powerbox said from the start to me the Cortex was designed as a helicopter gyro with changes to make it suitable for fixed wing. The iGyro3e was designed from day one as an aeroplane unit.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:37 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't want to detract from this thread about the Igyro3e but do need to correct factual inaccuracies about the Cortex. The Cortex is a dedicated fixed wing gyro. It is true that BavariaDemon have years of experience designing and manufacturing gyros for helicopters and they have therefore obviously used this experience with the Cortex. I'm not sure how this is a bad thing?

The Cortex is not 'PWM only'. It will accept 'bus' inputs from various manufacturers. It will, however, only output PWM signals.

Last edited by siclick33; 12-29-2014 at 01:00 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:48 AM
PowerBox-Systems GmbH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Ali,

you should test the heading function of the gyro! Else you donīt pull itīs full capability- you will be satisfied!
Old 12-29-2014, 06:39 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Competition is good for the market.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:17 AM
jws_aces
My Feedback: (33)

How does the heading work? Can you overide the controls and change the heading or does keep returning the ship to it original heading after your imputs simular to the helicopter?
Old 12-29-2014, 08:36 AM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
Main difference is the iGyro is designed with BUS systems in mind and the 3e and Cortex are PWM only.
Powerbox said from the start to me the Cortex was designed as a helicopter gyro with changes to make it suitable for fixed wing. The iGyro3e was designed from day one as an aeroplane unit.
The Cortex is both PWM and serial bus.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:36 AM
PowerBox-Systems GmbH

Hello,

the Heading is only active when the stick is in the middle. It holds the last angle (Aileron/Elevator axis) which you put your model in by stick. You donīt feel the heading but your plane flies 100% exactly.

does keep returning the ship to it original heading after your imputs simular to the helicopter
If a gyro does this, it was not designed for fixed wing!
Old 12-29-2014, 08:55 AM
jws_aces

So let me make sure I understand you correctly. say your plane is flying level left to right and you have heading mode on. You bank 90 degress and level out. Will the plane try to return to its last heading and will like the rudder be trying to turn it back? Or does it fly on the new heading?

If that is the case why would you need normal mode?

Thanks for your input.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:11 AM
RobinLeblond

Jeff,

Here is a great explanation of the diff between normal and heading mode (the explanation is for helicopters, but the global idea is the same):

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/heading-hold-gyro.html
Old 12-29-2014, 09:22 AM
jws_aces

Originally Posted by RobinLeblond
Jeff,

Here is a great explanation of the diff between normal and heading mode (the explanation is for helicopters, but the global idea is the same):

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/heading-hold-gyro.html

I understand how it works for Helos. I have used them before. I guess maybe less gain on the HH mode would allow you to overide the heading say in a bank turn.

Do you use the HH mode only when doing say rolls or loops to stay in line and then switch it off before turn out of the pass? I figured that was the only way to use it on a fixed wing aircraft.

I have tried on smaller aircraft using it on just the rudder for take offs and it worked great with enough gain but you needed to turn it off to make a turn.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:40 AM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

Will the cortex help with twin engines? say when an engine goes out?
Old 12-29-2014, 10:02 AM
PowerBox-Systems GmbH

I just can repeat: it doesnīt work like a helicopter heading. For sure when you roll your plane in a 90 degree, and donīt touch the stick anymore the gyro will hold this new 90° angle, why go back?

And: the iGyro Heading algorithm is unique: you donīt have to turn it off for starting and landing. You can let it on for the whole flight - no stall danger!

The iGyro3e will definitiv keep a twin engine model straight with heading mode on.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:12 AM
FenderBean

Okay so the i3 you cannot hook it up via Futaba Sbus unless you use a decoder. Is this correct? if so that is good to know since I only use SBus I will need to get the bigger brother.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:20 AM
PowerBox-Systems GmbH

Correct: The iGyro SRS has S-BUS input and output.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:24 AM
FenderBean

Originally Posted by PowerBox-Systems GmbH
Correct: The iGyro SRS has S-BUS input and output.
Thanks you saved me the mess up of ordering the wrong unit, thanks the info. I wish I could talk you guys into making a power system just like the Robbe battery backer, I run SBus and the extra large gauge wire they use and the terminal boxes are what I like. I miss using powerbox items.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:39 AM
BobbyMcGee

Cool. I have to get one!
Who is selling this in the USA?

Last edited by BobbyMcGee; 12-29-2014 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:41 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyMcGee
Who is selling this in the USA?
http://www.dreamworksrc.com/catalog/Powerbox-Igyro-3E
Old 12-29-2014, 10:46 AM
BobbyMcGee

Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.