Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

What retract and brake valves

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

What retract and brake valves

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 07:35 AM
Chipper Griewahn
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What retract and brake valves

Yellow Aircraft FA 18 single and I am looking at the retract set up and brake set up? Should I go with valves and servos or go with something like jet tropics valves??
Old 01-04-2015, 07:45 AM
raron455
My Feedback: (38)

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Its preference, the jet-tronics are the lighter, easier setup, but the servo actuated valves have proven themselves over the years. Personally i like being able to reach in and move my valves without having to power everything up, ex.. when im ready to put my ultra flash up ill pick it up off the ground, set it up on the stand, reach in and push the servo arm to retract the gear. Like i said, its personal preference
Old 01-04-2015, 08:18 AM
stevekott

If you go with a servo type brake valve the UP-6 cant be beat. The low air loss dual Jetronics is a close second. Xicoy is now making retract valves that rival Jetronics for less $$. I have had good luck with them also.

Like said before sometimes it is nice to just reach in the cockpit and manually put the gear down or up. It helps with loading and unloading. If you leave the gear down during transport the electronic valves are a lot easier to install. IMHO
Old 01-04-2015, 09:05 AM
Chipper Griewahn
My Feedback: (4)

Jet tronics not tropics oops
Old 01-04-2015, 10:51 AM
raron455
My Feedback: (38)

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Chipper Griewahn
Jet tronics not tropics oops
No worries, we knew what you meant,,,
Old 01-04-2015, 12:33 PM
M3Baker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chip, I'm using Jet-tronics in my jets and will be using them on the one that's getting ready to hit the build table. Yes, you do have to power up to retract before transport, but it's never been a problem for me.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:21 PM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

For the brake valve, after trying two different name brand proportional valves, I ended up going to the UP 6. Proportional braking with one electronic valve used too much air. (It kind of puffs of air to obtain proportional mode.) On a second valve, it would not fully stop the jet. (Kind of like a closed bellows device.) I have guys in the club that grease the brakes to work around the "to much air use" problem. They give up on proportional braking and just use the locked brake mode and grease the brakes. ?? I have other guys in the club that have had similar "no full stop" issues with brakes. Fortunately, one of the more experienced guys turned me on to the UP 6.

On the retracts, I use an electronic valve. It is either up or down and the first valve I tried worked great. Although, I am putting some orifices in the retracts this winter to try to slow them down a bit.

Last edited by Len Todd; 01-04-2015 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:16 PM
DrV
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have always used Jetronics valves and they work great. I will go with Xicoy next because of price.