Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

FAA now recruiting State, and Local Law enforcement to enforce interpretation?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

FAA now recruiting State, and Local Law enforcement to enforce interpretation?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 07:20 PM
Maximilionalpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bw5493
Well, according to what the FAA was proposing, we can fly under AMA safety code, which say line of sight, under 400 feet, and a safety pilot standing by. In the US, you can fly on board a legal ultralight, kit or factory built, meeting the FAR part 103rules which is an real full size aircraft if you will. My 70 inch Kadet flying with 3 cameras I can switch between, one that can go 360 degrees so I have as good or better visibility than a full scale, I am being severely hampered. I also have 2 strobes from life jackets that can be seen for up to 2 miles in daylight, and God only knows how far at night, mounted just like full scale on the wing tips.
Don't try justifying yourself to those two morons,(JohnShe, Porcia88), they're plants, from the FAA.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:28 PM
JohnShe

Well, according to what the FAA was proposing, we can fly under AMA safety code, which say line of sight, under 400 feet, and a safety pilot standing by. In the US, you can fly on board a legal ultralight, kit or factory built, meeting the FAR part 103rules which is an real full size aircraft if you will. My 70 inch Kadet flying with 3 cameras I can switch between, one that can go 360 degrees so I have as good or better visibility than a full scale, I am being severely hampered. I also have 2 strobes from life jackets that can be seen for up to 2 miles in daylight, and God only knows how far at night, mounted just like full scale on the wing tips.
Do you do stupid things in your ultralight? That's what will get the law after you. The AMA code is a guideline for avoiding stupid and dangerous situations. Most of the more stringent sounding rules only apply at AMA venues. Use your common sense and don't do anything stupid or dangerous.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:49 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Can you say "unfunded mandate" ? Being that we control our local law enforcement, the feds cannot force them to enforce "their" laws. There are many reasons why we need to get control over local police right now, and this is just another example. It is too bad the 10th amendment to the constitution is so weak now. We have the power to keep this under control if we could just unite properly.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:36 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't worry about flying in Idaho ... I don't think there are any contested areas to fly over. LOL
Old 01-12-2015, 03:26 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are only so many videos that I care to make flying around the RC field. That is a fact soon to be discovered by many. So there has to be options other than an AMA sponsored field. I can hear general aviation aircraft from a long distance away. So if I am down on the deck (and not in classed airspace) when they pass, what am I hurting? I am not flying over people, traffic, or chasing animals.

Multi-rotors do not fit in well at an AMA field and they do not move like airplanes or helicopters so they are hard to fit into a "pattern". With over 20 thousand sold... where are they going to go to fly? They are not criminals.

The National Park Service is the one that upsets me the most. They should allow permitted flying. You pay a fee, you submit a flight plan. If approved, you fly. Simple, no approved flight plan on your person, you get a ticket. Simple

Last edited by on_your_six; 01-12-2015 at 03:29 AM.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:52 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
Can you say "unfunded mandate" ? Being that we control our local law enforcement, the feds cannot force them to enforce "their" laws. There are many reasons why we need to get control over local police right now, and this is just another example. It is too bad the 10th amendment to the constitution is so weak now. We have the power to keep this under control if we could just unite properly.
perhaps it's the alarmist and misleading thread title that led you to believe the feds are forcing local LE to enforce "their" laws. They aren't, and there is no "unfunded mandate".
Old 01-12-2015, 05:00 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by on_your_six
There are only so many videos that I care to make flying around the RC field. That is a fact soon to be discovered by many. So there has to be options other than an AMA sponsored field. I can hear general aviation aircraft from a long distance away. So if I am down on the deck (and not in classed airspace) when they pass, what am I hurting? I am not flying over people, traffic, or chasing animals.

Multi-rotors do not fit in well at an AMA field and they do not move like airplanes or helicopters so they are hard to fit into a "pattern". With over 20 thousand sold... where are they going to go to fly? They are not criminals.

The National Park Service is the one that upsets me the most. They should allow permitted flying. You pay a fee, you submit a flight plan. If approved, you fly. Simple, no approved flight plan on your person, you get a ticket. Simple
Creating a new bureaucracy, and more importantly (and disturbing) a fee collection scheme hardly seems like the way to go. At some point can't some areas just be off limits to flight? I'd love to get some great footage of cool stuff too, but I don't know that I have the right to fly everywhere.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:04 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Maximilionalpha
".......Don't try justifying yourself to ...(JohnShe, Porcia88), they're plants, from the FAA....."

I'm the arbor vitae in the lower left, not sure where the other dude is, he might be deep cover, or just ground cover.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	faa.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	2063298  
Old 01-12-2015, 05:25 AM
miklos
My Feedback: (38)

Originally Posted by bri6672
This is a 2 way street! If idiots with quad copters and FPV would stop being morons we wouldn't be in such a situation! I'm so sick of people flying these things over kids soccer games, over other people's property, extreme high altitudes of full scale traffic and over crowded places like amusement parks! If these people would join the AMA and fly at approved locations this would barely be an issue! But instead every time a story hits the news the FAA steps up the game. Their biggest problem is they blanket the rules and don't seperate the people following the rules from the backyard Cowboys!!!
Amen to that!!
Old 01-12-2015, 05:50 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by on_your_six

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
on_your_six:
Neither did/does 3D, Fomies, Pattern, or IMAC Helies too don' fit ... the guys flying them tend to fly too close and right over the runway. I contend there is room for every discipline at an AMA field. If a person Pays has a Current AMA and is a current club member what gives the NON special interests to dictate to anyone. if U can't wait 8 minutes to fly the way U want then that's too bad.

The National Park Service shut down R/C Quadsdown because some one crashed one into Old Faithful or near there. Again the public NON-AMA flyer has to be educated that they are dangerious to them selves our Hobby/Sport and the Public. We do that by letting every one who posts somethng they did with QUADS / DRONES we point out (Politely) the wrong they are doing. If we don't Police our own Hobby/Sport then the Government will.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:24 AM
LBJ

We DO NOT need any ADDITIONAL Gov't lookie-loos sticking their noses in our business. I am sure there are already laws on the books covering things that have happened with RC planes so far. Lord knows there must be BILLIONS of laws anyway, surely one or more covers misuse of RC items. We have MORE THAN ENOUGH gov't intervention in our daily life, so, I say NAY to the FAA expanding it's power trip.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:39 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by LBJ
We DO NOT need any ADDITIONAL Gov't lookie-loos sticking their noses in our business. I am sure there are already laws on the books covering things that have happened with RC planes so far. Lord knows there must be BILLIONS of laws anyway, surely one or more covers misuse of RC items. We have MORE THAN ENOUGH gov't intervention in our daily life, so, I say NAY to the FAA expanding it's power trip.

LBJ: Your Preaching to the choir. Tell it to the people that are causing the problems. Like HK Tower local Hobby shops ect. and the guy that posts a stupid video. U have to do it with tact not just tell them their stupid and wrong.

Speaking of The Local Hobby shop on the verge of extinction this is from the business section of the Milwaukee Sentential Journal.

http://www.jsonline.com/business/gre...288145821.html
Old 01-12-2015, 07:41 AM
porcia83
Banned

The good shops will still be around. The shops that diversify and get involved in what is selling NOW, and is popular NOW...will do just fine. A good HOBBY shop caters to many interests, not just one or two.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:28 AM
RBardin
My Feedback: (27)

Interesting topic and replies but this thread has nothing to do with RC JETS and should therefore be moved to a more appropriate section of the forum.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:15 AM
AMA 74894

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RBardin
Interesting topic and replies but this thread has nothing to do with RC JETS and should therefore be moved to a more appropriate section of the forum.
While I do AGREE... The Forum Manager has decided (from prior experience) to leave this post here in the Jet Forum.

However, PLEASE folks, let's curb the personal attacks.

"HARASSMENT & FLAMING:
RCU members are not permitted to harass or "flame" other members. Please do not post or transmit any unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, profane, hateful, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable material of any kind, including, but not limited to, any material which encourages conduct that would constitute a criminal offense, violate the rights of others, or otherwise violate any applicable local, state, national or international law. Please note that this also includes the posting of taunts on a forum solely for the purpose of demeaning that forum's topic and/or members."

thanks for your continued support.

Last edited by AMA 74894; 01-12-2015 at 11:04 AM. Reason: updated info
Old 01-12-2015, 11:13 AM
vertical grimmace

While I am aware there is no "Mandate". because I did read the entire letter, A federal agency, is asking a local agency to enforce and investigate the federal agencies issue. I do not pay local and state taxes to police budgets for this issue.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:33 AM
LBJ

An almost identical issue has taken place in the past with the Brady Bill gun control law. The Feds wanted the local sheriffs to investigate gun sales as part of the law. AZ (maybe NM) Sheriff Richard Mack challenged this and WON back in the 90's as I recall. He said there was no funding to do the Brady bill biddings. You can look this up on Yahoo for a more detailed and complete description.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:48 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by porcia83
I'm the arbor vitae in the lower left, not sure where the other dude is, he might be deep cover, or just ground cover.

Ha! Ha! I'm more of an FAA supporter, think of me as the second I-Beam from the left under the stonework.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:02 PM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by LBJ
An almost identical issue has taken place in the past with the Brady Bill gun control law. The Feds wanted the local sheriffs to investigate gun sales as part of the law. AZ (maybe NM) Sheriff Richard Mack challenged this and WON back in the 90's as I recall. He said there was no funding to do the Brady bill biddings. You can look this up on Yahoo for a more detailed and complete description.
The background check is a perfect example. The problem is, I am sure most local police relish getting more power, and would welcome the assignments, funded or not.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:25 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by AMA 74894
While I do AGREE... The Forum Manager has decided (from prior experience) to leave this post here in the Jet Forum.

However, PLEASE folks, let's curb the personal attacks.

"HARASSMENT & FLAMING:
RCU members are not permitted to harass or "flame" other members. Please do not post or transmit any unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, profane, hateful, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable material of any kind, including, but not limited to, any material which encourages conduct that would constitute a criminal offense, violate the rights of others, or otherwise violate any applicable local, state, national or international law. Please note that this also includes the posting of taunts on a forum solely for the purpose of demeaning that forum's topic and/or members."

thanks for your continued support.
Would calling other members morons fit as flaming?

Also, the OP started another thread in the AMA thread as well, doesn't really have to do with AMA, can they be combined?
Old 01-12-2015, 02:34 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
While I am aware there is no "Mandate". because I did read the entire letter, A federal agency, is asking a local agency to enforce and investigate the federal agencies issue. I do not pay local and state taxes to police budgets for this issue.
Earlier you said "can you say unfundated madate", now your are confirming there is no mandate. Which is it?

You most certainly pay local and state taxes for police to enforce the law, and keep the public safe. Who are first responders in your area if a real plane crashes, the FAA or your local police?

The FAA released guidance to the law enforcement community explaining the legal framework for the agency’s oversight of aviation safety in the U.S., including UAS operations

Where in that do you get the federal government is asking or telling the locals what to do? They are giving direction, guidance, support. It's a new process that needs to be clarified, otherwise local folks will either not know how to charge, or will incorrectly charge offenders.

I'm not a big fan of govt getting more involved in our lives, but this is something that is new and different and evolving. Just like the feds have to give direction on video taping officers, or how to document stops on citizens etc etc, nothing wrong with getting feedback and help.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:45 PM
Dealspeed
My Feedback: (17)

What I don't like is being pushed to have to join a AMA licensed flying club, the clubs in my area are full of old timers looking over your shoulder telling you how to fly and what you can and cannot do, right now I fly at a high school that has no homes near it because it's in the country side, mostly farming fields around it, if I crash I hurt nobody, under these new rules would I still be permitted to fly at locations like this? And also I have no problem whatsoever with older folks in the hobby, just the ones at the local field. there old asses who can barely fly a trainer and have no business telling me what to do, I even had an old timer from the field see my flying so he felt inclined to stop and tell me I should be flying at the club where more experienced flyers can keep an eye on me lmao.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:15 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dealspeed
What I don't like is being pushed to have to join a AMA licensed flying club, the clubs in my area are full of old timers looking over your shoulder telling you how to fly and what you can and cannot do, right now I fly at a high school that has no homes near it because it's in the country side, mostly farming fields around it, if I crash I hurt nobody, under these new rules would I still be permitted to fly at locations like this? And also I have no problem whatsoever with older folks in the hobby, just the ones at the local field. there old asses who can barely fly a trainer and have no business telling me what to do, I even had an old timer from the field see my flying so he felt inclined to stop and tell me I should be flying at the club where more experienced flyers can keep an eye on me lmao.
At this point it's still not entirely clear what flying under the programming of a CBO means, The AMA has said it means you have to be a AMA member but so far they have
not said you have to join a club as far as I know. I think it's clear the FAA want us to fly at flying sites but has not said it has to be a CBO site or if such is the only place we
can fly. Also the FAA has not said what flying under the programming of a CBO means in their interpretation either so until the full rules come out to me it's kind of a
guessing game.

IMO I think the FAA should have finished with all rules and definitions before asking for local law enforcement to be involved.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:41 PM
Dealspeed
My Feedback: (17)

I agree but this is a government agency and there not capable of much thought
Old 01-12-2015, 06:02 PM
porcia83
Banned

Because the FAA is an agency not capable of thought? LoL....sure thing, they barely function right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.