Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

A little bug for me with the latest Futaba 18mz software update. 2.5.1 Anyone else?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

A little bug for me with the latest Futaba 18mz software update. 2.5.1 Anyone else?

Old 07-28-2015, 09:45 AM
SpiderJets

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry if my post was not completely clear ; I was only talking about the issue how to upgrade the higher version(s), caused by using a Mac computer (resulting in the mentioned "some files are not compatible" error message during the installation process), and not about the telemetry bugs itself in the pertaining transmitter software.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:13 PM
stevekott

I just Noticed Futaba has an August 5, 2015 date on this update.

Editor Version: 2.5 Encoder version: 2.2

But it is still calling it a 2.5.1 which is the version that didn't play well with the Airspeed Telemetry.

Has anyone updated with this version and is it any different than the one that was out in January?

Stevek
Old 08-26-2015, 12:13 PM
dvcam99

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hello Steve,

I´m stil wondering that you got a Version 2.5.1 already in January.

I got here from Robbe in Germany a non released (Beta) Version 2.5.1 in May. I tested it an gave Robbe Futaba a report back becaus of our FEPC and FSS products.
This version had not the known issues we know from 2.5.0 in respect to the IAS and GPS Speed Display.
I´m still using the Version 2.5.1 Beta with my test models.

Unfortunatly I lost my contact at Robbe because Robbe went into insolvency.

Ripmax the new German Futaba Distributor released aprox. two week ago a now official Version 2.5.1 for T18MZ.

I would suggest in your case pull the now official released 2.5.1 and install it.

BR
Dirk
Old 08-27-2015, 09:42 PM
stevekott

I think it is Fixed !!!!!!!!!!!! Woo Hoo!

To be a little cautious I only tested this on 1 plane and on the bench.

Tested with the CB Elektronics 460.

Fired up in Yard-Pounds and zeroed out at 0 MPH. Switched over to Metic and zeroed out at 0 kph

I did NOT get the 32 mph error at start up. I think Futaba fixed the bug !!!

Happy Flying

SteveK
Old 08-27-2015, 11:03 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

But Futaba still need to get all the display units fixed - so that we don't have use RPM for ml or temp for voltage etc. Surely all they have to do (for now) is to give us the option to change the display unit (not only the name of the sensor). Changing and updating verbal warnings to have the correct terminology, can come later.

Jan

Last edited by Springbok Flyer; 08-27-2015 at 11:06 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:05 PM
f106jax
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just updated the GPS II and the teleconvertor tonight to the most recent software updates and updated the 18MZ to editor 2.5.1, encoder 2.2. When set to "Yard/Pounds" unit measurement, I'm still getting 32 F for the temp reading. Switching to metric zeroes everything. I didn't have the success that Steve had. Any suggestions?
Old 08-28-2015, 04:24 PM
stevekott

That's too bad Mike. The CB Elektronics 460 spoofs the Robbe GPS unit for speed. It doesn't convert it from temperature. I haven't tried it with my ASSI device planes, not sure what they will do.

I kept the copy of the earlier Update Folder on the SD card and renamed the folder Update.Prev in case I need to go back. I will try and do some testing in the air this weekend.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:13 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Originally Posted by Springbok Flyer
But Futaba still need to get all the display units fixed - so that we don't have use RPM for ml or temp for voltage etc. Surely all they have to do (for now) is to give us the option to change the display unit (not only the name of the sensor). Changing and updating verbal warnings to have the correct terminology, can come later.

Jan
I posted this in the radio support forum nine months ago! I've given up hope on Futaba releasing any useful updates in general or any updates that will play nice with Xicoy.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/futa...l#post11917056
Old 08-29-2015, 03:23 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts

Still beating your head against the wall?
Old 08-29-2015, 05:16 AM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Originally Posted by Bob_B
Still beating your head against the wall?
Yes, would you happen to have an icepack, Excedrin, and a Jeti DS-24?
Old 08-30-2015, 06:31 AM
stevekott

Originally Posted by afterburner
Yes, would you happen to have an icepack, Excedrin, and a Jeti DS-24?
Very Funny ! I want a talking timer too! Cmon Futaba, you've gotta keep up/catch up to the Germans !
Old 08-30-2015, 08:12 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts

Actually Jeti is Czech
Old 08-30-2015, 10:54 AM
f106jax

Gents,

After hours of beating my head against a wall (having joined Marty), I have yet to have the PB teleconverter downlink data to my 18MZ. My installation is;

Futaba 18MZ Editor v2.5.1 Encoder 2.2
Futaba 7008SB receivers operating in dual. Telemetry is active and the teleconverter is plugged in the S-Bus 2 port of the primary receiver.
Powerbox GPS II v0.1.0 set to Royal SRS in Terminal.
Powerbox Teleconverter v0.3 set to T18MZ in Terminal.
Powerbox Royal SRS v9.3

I've registered and installed the teleconverter as per instructions included with the teleconverter as well as tips on the PB forum. The only telemetry data received at the transmitter is the battery voltage. No Powerbox data is being received. I am showing strong signal in the tx in the telemetry section. The GPS is acquiring satellites and the LED is solid green. Using the advice on the PB forum, I've performed the data reset (telemetry) and sensor reload. Still no Powerbox data received at the transmitter.

I've compared my transmitter settings with a successful teleconverter operator and they are identical.

Any suggestions on configuration changes that I've missed or is it possible that I've got a defective teleconverter?

Thanks!
Mike
Old 08-30-2015, 11:36 AM
ija

Mike,

In case you didn't try it already I would suggest to re-bind both receivers when in dual configuration! The difficulty might be that there are now two receivers both believing they are "primary" ones. This causes telemetry conflict.

AND: make sure you really bind both separately: you must remove SRS cable from SRS Royal as otherwise you end up re-binding both receivers as "secondary" eventually. (as turning of receiver power from PowerBox will impact on both receivers

Regards, Ilkka
Old 09-20-2015, 09:46 PM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Any news guys? Does 2.5.1 resolve the units conversion on speed or does it not? .. since we have conflicting reports here.

Also, does anyone have the 2.4.1 download zip files? I would like to get the CB FEPC working but I have only the 2.3 version on my radio and don't want to go to 2.5.x until the units bug is fixed. Apparently 2.4.1 has the Current sensor that I need for the FEPC (2.3 does not) and I see that only 2.5.1 is on Futaba's website here in the US.

Sigh...

Dave McQ
Old 09-21-2015, 03:08 AM
f106jax

Originally Posted by ww2birds
Any news guys? Does 2.5.1 resolve the units conversion on speed or does it not? .. since we have conflicting reports here.

Also, does anyone have the 2.4.1 download zip files? I would like to get the CB FEPC working but I have only the 2.3 version on my radio and don't want to go to 2.5.x until the units bug is fixed. Apparently 2.4.1 has the Current sensor that I need for the FEPC (2.3 does not) and I see that only 2.5.1 is on Futaba's website here in the US.

Sigh...

Dave McQ
Hi Dave,

In addition to my installation as described above, I've updated the Royal SRS to v10.3, replaced the teleconverter, re-registered the teleconverter and GPS II, and not only have the units conversion issue yet, but I'm getting no telemetry through the Powerbox. When setting the GPS to Futaba in Terminal and plugging into the Sbus2 port, then I get GPS data at the TX. However, when configuring the GPS for Royal telemetry and using the teleconverter, I get no data at the TX other than 5.9v rx voltage which is coming from the Futaba telemetry, not the Powerbox telemetry. For now, I'm using the GPS for the iGyro but I've given up on Powerbox telemetry.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:56 AM
ww2birds

thanks for the news Mike. I have a PB teleconverter but have not tried to use it. I thought Don D had his working with some help from the PB gang at KY jets.. sorry to hear your issues. I've always found that the PB guys have super good and responsive help via their forum .. I see you've been over there too.

We really need the Futaba guys to wake up here. Grumble...

Dave
Old 09-21-2015, 11:00 AM
stevekott

thanks for the news Mike. I have a PB teleconverter but have not tried to use it. I thought Don D had his working with some help from the PB gang at KY jets.. sorry to hear your issues. I've always found that the PB guys have super good and responsive help via their forum .. I see you've been over there too.

We really need the Futaba guys to wake up here. Grumble...

Dave
Hey Dave,

I don't have any experience with the PB Teleconverter but the 2.5.1 upgrade DOES work with all of my CB Elektronics airspeed indicators where the previous release did not. I am able to switch between kph and mph by changing System Units and the seem to be reading accurate airspeeds in either mode.

In addition you can use a single slot using the 'True Airspeed' sensor rather than spoofing the Robbe GPS sensor which requires 8 slots,

It also seems to be playing nice with the Xicoy data link on my Merlin 200 XBL. Although a lot of the data are spoofing Temperature Sensors they seem to be coming through accurately. In order for them to make sense you need to display in Metric Units as they are set up in Degrees Celsius. When you display in Yard-Pounds they are off by the predictable 9/5C +32 conversion. RPM is always accurate in either units as is EGT.

I do have the 2.4.1 files backed up somewhere. PM me if you still need them.

Happy Flying,

SteveK

Last edited by stevekott; 09-21-2015 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:01 PM
ww2birds

thanks, Steve! the CB guys pointed me to the Ripmax site (Euro disturb for Futaba) who has all the old files if we need them .. nice.

Sounds like I'll go to 2.5.1

Many thanks for taking the time to relay your experience.

I prefer to run my system in yard-pound (mostly so I get familiar units at critical channels e.g. airspeed callouts on the voice synthesis from the CB pitot system while on final) and I've been learning to mentally map the 212F to 32F fuel state (since it's 0-100% Centigrade) to good cut points which leads to in comprehensive to my caller statements like "oh, I'm at 50 degrees, better think about landing" :-) And of course dealing with turbine temps in F .. sigh. Of course the telemetry is mostly used for alarms and limits so this is no so terrible...

But still, I SURE WISH the Futaba gang would give us units per channel, or user-namable units, or y=mx+b corrections or SOMETHINNG to help us.

I am also using the Xicoy link with a 200XBL (in an Ultra Bandit) ... very nice motor .. not as powerful as a P200 (to be fair the P200 is really a 230 N engine) but still plenty for the UB. What fuel "factor" are you using? I found out it had to be much lower than the 400 default...

Dave
Old 09-24-2015, 09:49 AM
stevekott

I am also using the Xicoy link with a 200XBL (in an Ultra Bandit) ... very nice motor .. not as powerful as a P200 (to be fair the P200 is really a 230 N engine) but still plenty for the UB. What fuel "factor" are you using? I found out it had to be much lower than the 400 default...

Dave
You are a little ahead of me. I hope to maiden my Skymaster Mig-29 with the 200XBL this weekend! What number are you using for the fuel "Factor"?

I had a P-200 in my previous Mig-29 (Sadly I fireballed it earlier this year.) I was hoping the 200XBL would be a good replacement. Lighter and better fuel economy. I love the brushless starter and fuel pump.

SteveK
Old 09-24-2015, 09:55 AM
ww2birds

I don't have it dead-on yet, somewhere in the high 200s or low 300s I think is where I will end up .. I am still calibrating it. Will be soooo nice to have fuel state on telemetry.

The brushless starter and pump are very nice, fast crisp starts .. runs well ... not a lot of time on it yet .. maybe 15-20 flights.

All the best for the Mig-29 maiden.

Dave
Old 01-11-2016, 01:02 PM
RonTins

I finally purchased an 18MZ with plans to use it with my PowerBox Royal SRS and a Teleconverter but have read posts on this thread about issues with telemetry readings on the transmitter side. My current 18mz has 2.4.3 installed and would like to know if its worth the hassle upgrading to 2.5.1...
Old 01-12-2016, 04:22 PM
stevekott

Yes! 2.51 is a good upgrade. The one before it had the bugs. But those were fixed with the 2.51

It's really easy to update. Just put the update files on an SD card and flip the tiny switch over the SD card slot, power up and the radio does the rest. Power down, flip the switch back, power up. It does a little more updating and you are done.

Last edited by stevekott; 01-12-2016 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:49 PM
RonTins

Wonderful!! I'll have it updated then very soon. With regards to turbine telemetry, is there any device available to link with Futaba's SBus2 to provide information on the transmitter for JetCentral turbines?

Last edited by RonTins; 01-12-2016 at 06:51 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:55 PM
stevekott

Take a look at this Ron:

http://www.dreamworksrc.com/catalog/...utaba-Jeti-Mpx

An awful lot of the Jet Central ECU's are made by Xicoy. If that is what you have this should work great.

Someone more familiar with Jet Central might chime in here. I use this on my Jets Munt Merlin 200xbl and it works great.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.