Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JR 28x information

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JR 28x information

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 02:10 PM
Airforce7
My Feedback: (31)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Just got off the phone with JR. They received my e-mail and forwarded my case to JR Japan. He said it was the first case they had with this kind of error message. They are not sure what to do. He said TTS stands for text-to-speech. I don't really know anything about Pico TTS and what that's all about. But when he said that it reminded me about my FM programing. I did enter several times different words for each FM switch setting. I was trying to come up with a easy to understand phase for each FM setting. Wonder if my radio was getting back at me for making her say bad words :-).

I have updated the radio with both software versions available. So the latest that's on it is v2. Now I need to wait to hear back from JR and see what they say.
Old 11-30-2015, 02:32 PM
chorner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, it's just a software glitch Airforce 7. It seems if you continually edit, change, and play with settings especially in the FlightMode settings sometimes it creates an error. Same exact scenario I was able to make mine crash under, except I was trying to do different things with the trim switches on the top shoulders of the radio.

I don't think it's anything to worry about, and probably just an unforeseen bug. Good to point them out to JR though, but I don't think this is an indication of anything wrong hardware wise with your radio. You should be perfectly fine... I'm hoping they come out with a major firmware update over the winter season, upgrading the Android OS base kernel as well as their own apps with some updates as well as bug fixes. JR needs to go over everything and optimize with a fine-toothed-comb, as these radios aren't running the highest spec. hardware to run the Android interface. Highly optimized software also plays a large role in battery life, and is one of the main reasons Android handsets suffer from poor battery life compared to other mobile phone platforms.

I'm a computer engineer and software developer myself, and is how I know of the internal workings for the most part. lol warbird... I may or may not have stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.

Last edited by chorner; 11-30-2015 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:51 AM
spike5150

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have noticed that my neckstrap can activate the touch screen while flying. While I am on the home screen while flying, when I land I look down and see that a menu is open (for example the timer sub menu on the home screen). Hopefully this won't lead to a similar issue.
Old 12-04-2015, 06:32 PM
pitstop000
My Feedback: (26)

How about putting the screen in no service?That will eliminate any unwanted screen inputs.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	465
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	2133970   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	496
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	2133971  
Old 12-04-2015, 11:38 PM
fireblade5437

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about JR fixing it?
Seems to be a few reports of this system having issues that you don't need! Seems that there has been a few where screen has locked/frozen and then it's taken the RF off.
Not knocking JR as had every set apart from 2.4ghz etc
For people that say if it's just software then it would affect every set, I disagree as we use graphic controllers in our work that are linked with can bus to our machines I have had crashes yet same software in other new machines ok usually hardware change fixes the problem. Remember some chips have firmware embedded by manufacture and this does not get changed by reprogramming the operating system etc not saying this is the case in JR etc but it can and does happen
I know of one in the the UK in a jet that has flown off by its self...worrying

Alan

Originally Posted by pitstop000
t

How about putting the screen in no service?That will eliminate any unwanted screen inputs.
Old 12-05-2015, 01:56 PM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by spike5150
I have noticed that my neckstrap can activate the touch screen while flying. While I am on the home screen while flying, when I land I look down and see that a menu is open (for example the timer sub menu on the home screen). Hopefully this won't lead to a similar issue.
With the Tx hanging off the neck strap it is being pulled vertically away, so just wondering how can it touch the screen?
Old 12-06-2015, 09:55 AM
chorner

Originally Posted by fireblade5437
How about JR fixing it?
Seems to be a few reports of this system having issues that you don't need! Seems that there has been a few where screen has locked/frozen and then it's taken the RF off.
Not knocking JR as had every set apart from 2.4ghz etc
For people that say if it's just software then it would affect every set, I disagree as we use graphic controllers in our work that are linked with can bus to our machines I have had crashes yet same software in other new machines ok usually hardware change fixes the problem. Remember some chips have firmware embedded by manufacture and this does not get changed by reprogramming the operating system etc not saying this is the case in JR etc but it can and does happen
I know of one in the the UK in a jet that has flown off by its self...worrying

Alan
The nature of software bugs is that it takes sometimes a complex set of actions to reproduce a bug, so that the average user may never trigger the bug. I firmly believe simple application crashes are a cause of firmware bugs. In other instances, where there is a complete shutdown and lockup - that may be a hardware related issue. A simple application hang though, after doing quite an amount of "playing" in the menus could very likely be an Android sub-system error. These radios don't ship with a huge amount of RAM either.

Not to say again, that this shouldn't be really looked at in every case. You should have full confidence your radio won't lockup and stop sending a signal. I think the radio as a whole, and DMSS is awesome - just never been the biggest fan of Android itself, but the ease of use of having a nicely designed graphical UI is great. I'd never want to go back to the "old way" of doing things.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:03 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why is there such a lack of "buzz" about 28x.? All forums are dead on the subject with the exception of a few guys asking how to do stuff that is basic on much less expensive Tx's and a few guys experiencing software lock ups.

The JR team guys were raving when it initially shipped, that is until people tried to use it. Now nothing??
Old 12-06-2015, 11:37 AM
jcterrettaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Pas de nouvelles bonnes nouvelles

Last edited by jcterrettaz; 12-07-2015 at 04:28 AM.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:51 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

Like he says, nothing to say. I used my 28X since release without an issue. Lots of people around me are using them and enjoying the experience.
Yes, one guy commented on the neck strap touching the screen, he takes the strap off his neck leaving it on the Tx hoop-just about the most dangerous thing I see with Tx's. I also say if you keep lifting your Tx to get it slack-maybe you don't need a strap! most of my group don't use one. There are lots of options about what is on the front screen to be activated.

My customers are happy :-)
Old 12-06-2015, 11:56 AM
Dave Wilshere

Maybe some guys should order one of these :-))
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	bfb9ff099258a30de0c900387dd97db5.image.400x300.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	2134279  
Old 12-06-2015, 01:11 PM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
Maybe some guys should order one of these :-))
I saw that when it was released. Cool.

If you only have display items on the home screen and not function icons, then nothing can accidentally be opened.
Old 12-06-2015, 02:40 PM
luv2flyrc

Like he says, nothing to say. I used my 28X since release without an issue. Lots of people around me are using them and enjoying the experience.

My customers are happy :-)
Do they have it reading out telemetry Dave and calling out switch commands eg. gear up, air speed etc?

thanks

Mike
Old 12-06-2015, 11:35 PM
Dave Wilshere

Mike
No, don't see much of that in the UK
Dave
Old 12-07-2015, 05:36 AM
chorner

I've got engine RPM and airspeed telemetry, no issues. I think what was said before is correct - not much on the radio as most people are busy using and enjoying the radio. You only generally post when you have questions or concerns; sometimes a lack of posts is a good thing.

Btw, a screen protector is nice to have on this radio I've found and I prefer to use a mouse for setup. The screen protector also makes navigation by swipe easier and more predictable.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:46 AM
luv2flyrc

Originally Posted by chorner
I've got engine RPM and airspeed telemetry, no issues. I think what was said before is correct - not much on the radio as most people are busy using and enjoying the radio. You only generally post when you have questions or concerns; sometimes a lack of posts is a good thing.

Btw, a screen protector is nice to have on this radio I've found and I prefer to use a mouse for setup. The screen protector also makes navigation by swipe easier and more predictable.
Are the engine rpm and airspeed being read out to you(voice) during flight? I'm trying to determine if this Tx can actually do this and to what extent? No one seems to know, I'm hearing "we don't like to do that","no one here does that". This is what I meant when I said there is NO buzz about this Tx.

People are flying and enjoying the other Tx's on the market too but, the forums are filled with suggested set ups, new ideas and ways of doing things with those Tx's so, I can't buy that as an excuse for no chat on this one.

Is no one using it or are they using it like they would an old 12x and don't care about modern features? Just trying to figure out what's up...Not just this forum, all forums are dead on this Tx.

Mike
Old 12-07-2015, 08:00 AM
chorner

I hear you! Need more information on what you're buying, something JR seems a bit too lacking in, in all honesty. JR's Xbus setup is awesome, but they don't do the best job showing examples and giving solid information enough in general to attract new customers.

To answer your question: yes, it reads it out to you during your flight. You assign an 'On/Off' switch to the telemetry read-outs, combined with a list of what you'd like announced and in what order. It then cycles through all readings you've setup in the list, while the switch you've assigned is in the 'On' position. The one thing I wish it read out to you, that it doesn't, is the timer. It's "old school" with beeps on every minute, then a specific set of beeps when reaching 1 minute remaining, 10 seconds remaining etc.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:54 PM
luv2flyrc

Originally Posted by chorner
To answer your question: yes, it reads it out to you during your flight. You assign an 'On/Off' switch to the telemetry read-outs, combined with a list of what you'd like announced and in what order. It then cycles through all readings you've setup in the list, while the switch you've assigned is in the 'On' position. The one thing I wish it read out to you, that it doesn't, is the timer. It's "old school" with beeps on every minute, then a specific set of beeps when reaching 1 minute remaining, 10 seconds remaining etc.
Awesome, thank you! Does it also log the telemetry data so that you can review it later? If so, do you review it on the Tx or is there PC software for it?

Thanks
Old 12-07-2015, 05:57 PM
chorner

No prob

You've inadvertently pointed out another shortcoming in the current firmware revision. It was advertised as a feature, but there is no way to currently access a log of telemetry data at the moment. Not sure what direction they are going with that, considering it's an Android based system with internet connectivity etc. as well, but if they put their mind/time and resources to work, they could do something cool with that capability in terms of telemetry; outside of dumping it to an SD card directly etc. So if it's something you need here and now, that's unfortunately a no. It's real-time only at the moment. Definitely due for a firmware update to tie together the last few areas of features they didn't release etc.

That being said, the telemetry systems work, and they work reliably. Unlike some other brands, that's sort of "spotty" at best (especially when it comes to reading something as "simple" as RPM from your ignition tach lead from experience), there are no hacks or anything special at all to have it working reliably 100% of the time. I think probably Jeti is the other brand I know of, where it seems like people actually enjoy and can count on the telemetry working as expected in whatever capacity they use or rely on it for.

The one other area I'd like to see improved with an update, is currently only telemetry and Flight Modes announce statuses through the voice synthesis. The cool thing is that you can type whatever you want, and it will read it back. The oversight, is that you can't assign any switch or action, to a specific voice alert. It should be more like the Spektrum setup, where there's a function that specifically maps voice alerts to switch change events, that's separate from any flight mode or other assignment. The guys at JR have acknowledged this, so it's more of a waiting game for new firmware than something that won't ever be a reality. The only thing hardware-wise I would've paid more for if it was used, was a little better quality touch screen. While the screen itself has perfectly acceptable picture quality, it's the touch sensor that isn't the best .... but only in terms of detecting swiping. Pressing on icons and settings etc. is perfectly accurate, but swiping through menus can sometimes be annoying - but because you can connect a mouse, major programming is sped up greatly and it alleviates the touch screen problem.

Just to throw this in there for good measure... the quality of the unit itself, the gimbals, switches, and the programmability and ease of doing so with both the design of the menu system, and the navigation (through mouse and touch... I'd really recommend a mouse though myself) is excellent. What really sets it apart, are the receivers, and the Xbus hubs and components in combination with the great radio itself. Even if you don't set things up using JR's Xbus specific servos, something like the Xbus Xport Duo for example is really a nice piece of hardware (14 port PWM/standard servo hub), and you can simultaneously use the receiver ports, as well as the 14 bus ports on the hub. If you're into gyros, they make excellently packaged, high-resolution gyros etc. and it all works together really well to make system as a whole that's really well done. If you go full 'serial' you can do some even more interesting things with setups and reducing wire clutter, and supplying heavy gauge wire for higher current requirements that outmatch other systems available.

About all the info I can share I think! Hopefully that helps you out
Old 12-07-2015, 06:07 PM
StevL

Originally Posted by spike5150
Ditto... JR please program a screen lock in your next update.

Steve
Old 12-07-2015, 06:10 PM
luv2flyrc

Wow, thanks for taking the time to go over it in such detail!
Old 12-07-2015, 06:21 PM
MattyMatt
My Feedback: (2)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes it does. I have battery voltage, rpm, cylinder head temp... I have it call out the rpm and cylinder head temp with a push of one of the bottom switches by my index finger.

Works great.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:22 PM
StevL

I also say if you keep lifting your Tx to get it slack-maybe you don't need a strap!
That is kind of what I do, I use a strap but do not hold any tension on the strap, basically the strap is a safety harness, I also hold the Tx very lightly. In the heat of our summer it's not uncommon for us to have temps 100 to 104F. My hands sweat a lot in this kind of weather, over the years I have had a Tx slip in my hands, never dropped one, this is why I use a neck strap as my safety net. Just me....

A lock on the screen would be nice, swipe the screen to unlock please.

Steve
Old 12-07-2015, 07:14 PM
pitstop000

Steve there is a screen lock, just put the screen in no service.

Originally Posted by StevL
That is kind of what I do, I use a strap but do not hold any tension on the strap, basically the strap is a safety harness, I also hold the Tx very lightly. In the heat of our summer it's not uncommon for us to have temps 100 to 104F. My hands sweat a lot in this kind of weather, over the years I have had a Tx slip in my hands, never dropped one, this is why I use a neck strap as my safety net. Just me....

A lock on the screen would be nice, swipe the screen to unlock please.

Steve
Old 12-07-2015, 07:17 PM
pitstop000

Screen lock on/ off

Originally Posted by pitstop000

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.