Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JR 28x information

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JR 28x information

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 02:32 AM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cool3d
Hi guys, this is my first post on this forum bought two28x's three month ago and made setup to our Ultra flash with my partner28x transmitter.
Setup was with two RG712BX RX one Powerbox Cockpit SRS and two powerbox Lipo2800Mah, the ultra-flash flew with this setup on Futaba 18MZ before without any issue.
We made some 15 flights with the new setup 28X until last week when we lose our 10,000 $ Ultra Flash TOTAL LOSS!!!
When we took off retracted Gear and flaps gain height with slightly left turnwe lost communication with the model Turbine was on Full throttle model came down full power to the ground. I am sure that there was an error with the system, when I looked the screen I didn't saw the regular home screen with the gauges etc.. it was something weird. JR you have some issue with your 28x for sure.... what are your recommendations guys we are not filling good any more flying our Jets with the 28X
. I flew my JL F-4E with the second 28x without any issue three or four times but no more!!! I am leaving the TX for better times too much money in the air.
JR assured us that and Android software glitch s would not affect the output of the transmitter. this is the second time i've heard of this . jr needs to find out what's going on .
Old 10-10-2015, 02:42 AM
cool3d
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by warbird_1
JR assured us that and Android software glitch s would not affect the output of the transmitter. this is the second time i've heard of this . jr needs to find out what's going on .
They can assured whatever they want!!! The fact is that we lose our model total loss because of losing communication with the model and home screen was different.
I made a mistake for not filming the home screen left the TX and run to the model with Extinguisher
Old 10-10-2015, 06:03 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by warbird_1
Did that assurance come from a JR engineer or JR America's? JR America, the name is quite deceiving, is simply the company that imports the product to North America. I would take any information that comes from them with a "grain of salt" unless confirmed by JR Japan.

There does not seem to be any support from JR Japan on this board, only comments from US and UK dealers. Sadly, I wouldn't hesitate to guess that few people at JR Japan speak English so, communication is an issue.

Mike

Last edited by luv2flyrc; 10-10-2015 at 06:06 AM.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:38 AM
MattyMatt
My Feedback: (2)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

So far, I have 50+ flights on my Tomahawk Futura at major events on the east cost, as well as 25-30 flights on a Delro 3.1m Raven, and 4 on my EMHW 50% Challenger. No cheap airplanes... Complex setups, and all built by me and not easily replaceable. Another 1000 flights on an XG11... I'm telling you this as I completely understand the requirement for the radio to be reliable.

The only issues I've experienced or have seen with others at events have just been either the sceen going black or inadvertent neck strap hits to the screen... Which by the way, I thought there was an issue with my screen until I saw it happen, and then was conscious about not letting the neck strap hit the screen. It never happened again.

All that being said, nothing is 100% perfect, and he may have an issue with HIS radio. I do not believe there is a software "glitch" as many of us have hundreds/thousands of flights across many different aircraft configurations. I would highly recommend sending it in for service, to verify everything is good with the radio. Especially in complex aircraft, you need to know what failed.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:55 AM
Ah Clem

Duplicate.

Last edited by Ah Clem; 10-10-2015 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Duplicate
Old 10-10-2015, 09:58 AM
Ah Clem

I am a JR Americas Team Member-I too, think it should be sent in for service. JR Americas is very, very good with service and is in contact with JR's engineering people in Japan.

I have several hundred flights on my 28X and am an early adopter (I got it on March11, 2015). I use it as my daily use radio, flying three to four days a week (mostly in an environment where there is a lot of other RF). Most of the flights on on helicopters, with quite a few on fixed wing aircraft as well. I have done both of the software upgrades that were made available, earlier in the year.

I too have had the neck strap touch the screen, which can, as mentioned above, cause issues.

Another area to look into is fail safe. The fail safe should be set up to cut the motor and put the control surfaces in the most desirable position, then tested to ensure that it is working properly.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:58 AM
chorner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've also had the radio now with a good # of flights, at 3 or 4 different fields and locations with mixes of potential interference in the area from "low to high". On a field where there have been several reported DSM2 and DSMX failures within a 2 month timespan, rock solid for me in the same areas guys were dropping planes. My one ignition was even going bad with the HV insulation starting to go off, and no issues at all with RF transmission between my basic 8 channel Extra 300 setup, to a full 16 channel Corsair.

Never a single lockup or glitch with my particular radio - worst I've seen is that the touch screen isn't the best quality when it comes to detecting swiping motion - and the home screen only scrolls half the distance it should. Fairly annoying on an expensive radio, but overall amazing with no issues at all in terms of reliability.

I would have to believe as others have said, perhaps something happened to your radio. Regardless, I would still be scared after losing a $10,000 plane to an apparent radio glitch - and it's also not the first time I've heard of someone's screen locking up, or the RF link being stuck on/off. I would send in a formal complaint, and see what can be done
Old 10-10-2015, 10:00 PM
warbird_1

i too haven't had anything that i thought was bad. the only thing that concerns me is while in flight i leave my screen on and that being said... you could create problems if you touch the screen and do something to change a setting while in flight. i love the radio and i hope the next upgrade will include naming the widgets you add to your home screens as i have a hard time remembering which one does what sometimes lol
Old 10-10-2015, 10:01 PM
rossmick

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not to muddy the waters on the 28x, but I had the main/home screen go bad with an error message that said the Android OS widget would not load. JR America (JRA) said they had never seen that one before - not so sure about that after reading the last several pages. Point here is that the transmitter worked fine, all other screens were good and no problems with communications to the different planes. What was found was the SIM chip for the OS went bad ( there is one processor for OS and another processor for the transmission side). After much reading on the SIM chip I found it is not unreasonable for the chip to crap out, not what I wanted to discover. After much discussion with JRA I sent the radio back at a cost of $67, due to the insurance, and JRA replaced the SIM chip. I had asked if they would just send me the chip and they said they wanted to check the entire radio. After reading some of these posts I think I understand why. I got the radio back in short order and all works fine. Also JRA give me a credit for the $67 shipping costs which I intend to use on XBus gear. My complaint was a $67 charge for a $5 chip, they responded with the credit which I found to be outstanding. I have been flying with the radio with two batteries and several planes and have had no difficulty with the radio, however, I am looking forward to the next software update which I hope addresses many of the conditions mentioned in this and the other thread on requested updates. One thing to note, was that when I got the radio back the trims were all out of whack and the planes had to be re-booted. This seems to point at the fact that they may have done something else besides the SIM chip. I had backed up all the planes on the SD card, but never had to use the backup information.
I believe this to be a great radio, with superior service, and with future software upgrades it will get better and better, let's hope so.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:09 PM
warbird_1

Originally Posted by rossmick
Not to muddy the waters on the 28x, but I had the main/home screen go bad with an error message that said the Android OS widget would not load. JR America (JRA) said they had never seen that one before - not so sure about that after reading the last several pages. Point here is that the transmitter worked fine, all other screens were good and no problems with communications to the different planes. What was found was the SIM chip for the OS went bad ( there is one processor for OS and another processor for the transmission side). After much reading on the SIM chip I found it is not unreasonable for the chip to crap out, not what I wanted to discover. After much discussion with JRA I sent the radio back at a cost of $67, due to the insurance, and JRA replaced the SIM chip. I had asked if they would just send me the chip and they said they wanted to check the entire radio. After reading some of these posts I think I understand why. I got the radio back in short order and all works fine. Also JRA give me a credit for the $67 shipping costs which I intend to use on XBus gear. My complaint was a $67 charge for a $5 chip, they responded with the credit which I found to be outstanding. I have been flying with the radio with two batteries and several planes and have had no difficulty with the radio, however, I am looking forward to the next software update which I hope addresses many of the conditions mentioned in this and the other thread on requested updates. One thing to note, was that when I got the radio back the trims were all out of whack and the planes had to be re-booted. This seems to point at the fact that they may have done something else besides the SIM chip. I had backed up all the planes on the SD card, but never had to use the backup information.
I believe this to be a great radio, with superior service, and with future software upgrades it will get better and better, let's hope so.
is the chip an upgraded version of what you had? and how do you replace a chip that i would think ,would be built right onto the circuit board ? this is the first i've heard of that . your saying it's common?
Old 10-10-2015, 10:39 PM
rossmick

The SIM chip is the same style as the ones used in smart phones. It sets in a slide out connector that is right on top of a circuit board when you open the radio. The information I got was that the chip its self is not that reliable and does loose the data stored on it. I am not sure just what this means but the point I made to JRA was that they should be able to just send you the chip and let you put it in. It is really very simple to do. I also asked for a backup chip to have just in case one failed but they refused that request.

I went down to the electronics store and bought one, but you need special software to upload the OS on to it. I think the chip I got back is just a standard micro SIM chip and is not an upgrade of any kind, just a replacement with embedded OS software.

Last edited by rossmick; 10-10-2015 at 10:53 PM.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:29 AM
Andrew Bird

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To the chap who lost his Flash - firstly, sorry to hear that. If the TX failed though, why did the aircraft not go in to failsafe? Surely if the TX stopped transmitting you'd know this because the aircraft would have gone in to failsafe and killed the turbine or bought it back to idle depending on how you set it up?
Old 10-11-2015, 03:54 AM
warbird_1

The SIM chip is the same style as the ones used in smart phones. It sets in a slide out connector that is right on top of a circuit board when you open the radio. The information I got was that the chip its self is not that reliable and does loose the data stored on it. I am not sure just what this means but the point I made to JRA was that they should be able to just send you the chip and let you put it in. It is really very simple to do. I also asked for a backup chip to have just in case one failed but they refused that request.

I went down to the electronics store and bought one, but you need special software to upload the OS on to it. I think the chip I got back is just a standard micro SIM chip and is not an upgrade of any kind, just a replacement with embedded OS software.
i see now. just like our cell phones . i can see now just how quickly things could mess up. i had a droid Razr Maxx that was all the time doing weird things. how supid is that setup . i was thinking about how jr said that " if the Android system failed it would have no affect on the transmission" that's a bunch of garbage. think about this ... what controls the programming in the radio..? the Android software. what if the software glitches ? who's to say it couldn't change settings in your radio while in flight or any time .. causing your plane to crash. you can ,for sure ,change the settings yourself if you wanted while flying or on the ground.

Last edited by warbird_1; 10-11-2015 at 03:56 AM.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:19 AM
rossmick

warbird_1

I did not intend to bad mouth the product, but to show there is a SIM chip/card that actually holds the OS, and or, software data for the radio display, I would make an assumption that the settings are held in some other memory device in the radio just the same as if you had set them manually with the old style radios. I caution jumping to any conclusion about how the whole system works as without an intimate knowledge of the OS it would be problematic to guess.

As I am a software engineer and have written code for many years I don't see exactly how the SIM card would cause what you mentioned. Can software go bad, yes, but it is rare. One of the interesting things about this sport is that every time you takeoff you are at the risk of hundreds of things that can go wrong and the plane goes in the dirt. It is pretty easy to just blame the radio, but from what I have seen, this is rarely the case. New radio, new design is always the fall guy when things go bad. I am not an Android programmer, but I don't think their software is that buggy. Electronics is always a risk and the RC community is probably farther out on that limb than most with the complexity of our sport. I had my XG11 radio loose the aileron section which eventually caused bad data to be sent through all the other channels and I lost a beautiful 300X and gas engine. The nature of the sport. I sent the radio in and after a months testing HH agreed that the radio had failed and sent me a new radio and receiver. Sure did not cover the cost of the plane, engine, batteries and servos but like I said, the nature of the sport. I still think this is an outstanding radio and will only get better with software updates.

Last edited by rossmick; 10-11-2015 at 08:32 AM.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:12 AM
newshoundaussie

I have not done the updates on mine. Friend did the updates to his and the radio crashed and needed to be sent back to JRA. He has little confidence in the radio now and every story that does surface makes you wonder more. I hope these isolated issues are taken care of. Mine is working fine and I will wait till non flying season for updates. I am using it in only one plane a Jesky 230 with limited use. Would like to install it in a new jet over the winter, we will see. "PS" still unable to connect to internet.

Last edited by newshoundaussie; 10-11-2015 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:24 AM
jcterrettaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Im very happy with mine I have hundred of flights with NO issue , mostly jets: EDF or Turbine . Best stick on the planet and very easy to program .
I had some issue with mine, but was entirely my fault ( deleted BIND Icon) Was a costly mistake because I bought the TX from RC Japan.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:11 AM
warbird_1

warbird_1

I did not intend to bad mouth the product, but to show there is a SIM chip/card that actually holds the OS, and or, software data for the radio display, I would make an assumption that the settings are held in some other memory device in the radio just the same as if you had set them manually with the old style radios. I caution jumping to any conclusion about how the whole system works as without an intimate knowledge of the OS it would be problematic to guess.

As I am a software engineer and have written code for many years I don't see exactly how the SIM card would cause what you mentioned. Can software go bad, yes, but it is rare. One of the interesting things about this sport is that every time you takeoff you are at the risk of hundreds of things that can go wrong and the plane goes in the dirt. It is pretty easy to just blame the radio, but from what I have seen, this is rarely the case. New radio, new design is always the fall guy when things go bad. I am not an Android programmer, but I don't think their software is that buggy. Electronics is always a risk and the RC community is probably farther out on that limb than most with the complexity of our sport. I had my XG11 radio loose the aileron section which eventually caused bad data to be sent through all the other channels and I lost a beautiful 300X and gas engine. The nature of the sport. I sent the radio in and after a months testing HH agreed that the radio had failed and sent me a new radio and receiver. Sure did not cover the cost of the plane, engine, batteries and servos but like I said, the nature of the sport. I still think this is an outstanding radio and will only get better with software updates.
ross, i totally get it. i wasn't insinuating ytou were bad mouthing the radio . i was saying i understand where your coming from . i love both of my systems and like everyone else , hopes that it get's fixed and nothing new comes up . WB_1
Old 10-11-2015, 01:05 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

I've sold a lot of 28X units and been using mine regularly since it arrived in the UK, I'm also surrounded by 28X users, my local club alone has nine 28X users. I'm in regular contact with around twenty of my customers and all are operating without problems. Last week we had a UK Jet meeting and there were 5 or 6 in use all weekend, I have still not seen a problem first hand.
Its impossible to comment on individual cases. Its a complicated radio, there are many factors that can cause trouble that are nothing to do with the TX or Rx. I've seen some terrible Rx installations and JR's DMSS system works amazingly well in hostile environments. No disrespect, but there are also some "heavy handed" operators out there!
Old 10-11-2015, 01:22 PM
warbird_1

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
I've sold a lot of 28X units and been using mine regularly since it arrived in the UK, I'm also surrounded by 28X users, my local club alone has nine 28X users. I'm in regular contact with around twenty of my customers and all are operating without problems. Last week we had a UK Jet meeting and there were 5 or 6 in use all weekend, I have still not seen a problem first hand.
Its impossible to comment on individual cases. Its a complicated radio, there are many factors that can cause trouble that are nothing to do with the TX or Rx. I've seen some terrible Rx installations and JR's DMSS system works amazingly well in hostile environments. No disrespect, but there are also some "heavy handed" operators out there!
dave , define " heavy handed" please ..
Old 10-11-2015, 08:07 PM
chorner

Heavy handed as in not gentle on the radio physically I would assume. I'm always very careful how I store, transport, and take great care during use to be gentle on it and not jam the screen etc. I treat all of this stuff like its "my baby" as I know hobby equipment isn't built to specs that will allow much abuse.

I see see some guys just place their equipment down firmly on a table, like the same guys who drop their cellphones on the table from an inch or so above the surface and slide/toss it on the table and wonder why it always seems to glitch etc.

Thats one one area I always pay close attention to with all equipment. Whether these issues have anything to do with that or not who knows...
Old 10-11-2015, 11:01 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

In the early days we had people using the touch screen with the protective sheet screen left on, this made operating the icons a little hit or miss and I witnessed people pressing hard and stabbing at the screen, plus some some guys just treat radios badly! I have customers with radios 6 months old that look 6 years old, dirty and chipped cases. Its so difficult knowing how someone is from a forum. When I speak to some of these guys about their Tx's they don't see the problem with leaving them in dusty/wet conditions, storing them back in a foam case when wet etc.

Dave
Old 10-15-2015, 05:23 AM
warbird_1

i have a technical question. i have a TF p-51 giant scale . i have a xbus servo on the tailwheel that's plugged into a hub and a standard servo on the rudder plugged into the rudder channel. i linked the tial wheel servo to the rudder channel and all works fine. My question is.. is there a work around to the tailwheel servo that will allow me " using the gear switch" to shut off the tailwheel servo once the gear comes up? in the past i've had to use a separate channel for the tail wheel servo itself.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:35 AM
spike5150

Just to clarify, you have the xbus tailwheel servo assigned to channel 4-1 (or some other sub channel)? I don't think I have seen an option in the mix menus to go down to the sub channel level, but I don't have the radio in front of me at the moment. That would be a cool feature, though.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:13 PM
chorner

warbird_1, I'll be doing the same thing but in a TF P-47D. It will have to be on a separate channel to properly mix it and turn on/off the mix when the gear is up. Since you're attaching your servo to the same channel ID as the rudder, it's following whatever signal you output to that channel ... SUB ID's will follow whatever the main output is; the only thing you can directly do based on sub ID is independently set servo reversing and those sorts of parameters.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:10 PM
warbird_1

Originally Posted by chorner
warbird_1, I'll be doing the same thing but in a TF P-47D. It will have to be on a separate channel to properly mix it and turn on/off the mix when the gear is up. Since you're attaching your servo to the same channel ID as the rudder, it's following whatever signal you output to that channel ... SUB ID's will follow whatever the main output is; the only thing you can directly do based on sub ID is independently set servo reversing and those sorts of parameters.
thank you spike and chorner... chorner .. i thought so but with the 28 being so advanced i thought there might be work around/trick to cheating the system spike.. i didn't see one either

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.