Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JR 28x information

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JR 28x information

Old 10-16-2015, 10:09 AM
shepp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I note that several of you are flying the Tomahawk Futura and they have a lot of carbon fiber in the fuselage. Are you doing anything special to accommodate the carbon as far as antenna placement goes?
my 28 is on order and planning to convert my 2.5 Futura first.
thanks
Shepp
Old 10-16-2015, 11:22 AM
chorner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by warbird_1
thank you spike and chorner... chorner .. i thought so but with the 28 being so advanced i thought there might be work around/trick to cheating the system spike.. i didn't see one either
Nope; there won't be any feature to do so either. That's the entire basis of having a master ID, with sub-id's. A main ID is just that ... an address tied to an input/output; sub-ID's are slaves of that address. It's not a question of being advanced, so much as the design of the serial bus by nature.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:31 PM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chorner
Nope; there won't be any feature to do so either. That's the entire basis of having a master ID, with sub-id's. A main ID is just that ... an address tied to an input/output; sub-ID's are slaves of that address. It's not a question of being advanced, so much as the design of the serial bus by nature.
got it .. just thought that i could have control via a switch over the sub id's thank..
Old 11-01-2015, 05:46 PM
xxl

why the heck dose anyone need 28 channels?
Old 11-01-2015, 05:46 PM
xxl

My girl takes all my extra money oh well shes totaly worth it
Old 11-08-2015, 10:58 AM
MattyMatt
My Feedback: (2)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by shepp
I note that several of you are flying the Tomahawk Futura and they have a lot of carbon fiber in the fuselage. Are you doing anything special to accommodate the carbon as far as antenna placement goes?
my 28 is on order and planning to convert my 2.5 Futura first.
thanks
Shepp
no problem. I've been running DMSS in my Futura since the beginning, with a single infinity receiver... About 30 flights with an XG11 and about 90 with 28x. Never had a hint of an issue.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:32 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 732 Likes on 528 Posts

We have one locally flying with the 28X and no issues.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AImuM7K-Log
Old 11-08-2015, 11:51 AM
shepp

Thanks Matt and Dave
I am planning on a single 712 receiver with a additional path diversity antenna feeding a "xport duo" hub. With the Xport duo hub I have the ability to add an additional receiver but don't know if it is necessary.
Where did you guys place the antennas?

Thanks

Shepp
Old 11-08-2015, 01:34 PM
Andrew Bird

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've bult 2 Futura's for people which are running SRS powerbox's and dual JR DMSS RX's mounted on carbon / ply boards with no issues at all.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:39 AM
Dave Wilshere

Originally Posted by shepp
Thanks Matt and Dave
I am planning on a single 712 receiver with a additional path diversity antenna feeding a "xport duo" hub. With the Xport duo hub I have the ability to add an additional receiver but don't know if it is necessary.
Where did you guys place the antennas?

Thanks

Shepp
We did use two Rx's, if you place the TL remote up high on the former cross member it will probably be OK. One horizontal and one vertical in a tube
Old 11-09-2015, 05:19 PM
MattyMatt

One is fine, or you can run two receivers. Your call.

Run in one vertical, one horizontal. I'm running one infinity.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:30 AM
theSteam

I have a question that I think some of you may know the answer to. I have written to JR and received an answer in part... hopefully you folks can fill in the blanks. I was intrigued by the following description of the JR Smart Servos "Featuring automatic output detection, these new JR Smart Servos™ can be used with either conventional (PWM) or XBus installations for ease and flexibility. Programming is simple via your XBus-equipped JR XG-series DMSS transmitter, and not only can servo direction and travel be adjusted, but it is now possible to fine tune holding power, stopping speed, deadband, starting power, total servo travel, create an alarm if servo load exceeds a user-set limit, enable slow start, as well as enhanced failsafe features to help protect your servos in the event of signal loss."
Three questions. 1. Where can I learn what the settings actually do? i.e. "holding power" "stopping speed" 2. Where are these setting accessed for adjustment? 3. Have any of you used these servos and made these adjustments?
Thanks for reading my lengthy post!
Old 11-21-2015, 11:44 AM
Dave Wilshere

Three questions. 1. Where can I learn what the settings actually do? i.e. "holding power" "stopping speed" 2. Where are these setting accessed for adjustment? 3. Have any of you used these servos and made these adjustments?
Thanks for reading my lengthy post!
[/QUOTE]

I have used the smart servos, but only in pwm mode and as they come.
Holding power is different to torque, most servos hold more than they push or pull. Holding power is really important on rudder (long KE flight) or Flaps where they are trying to be blown back level. But lets say you use a servo on a gear door, you might not want full holding power they are difficult to set and as heat is generated by load, you can easily burn out a servo.
Stopping speed is the speed the servo stops moving, fast servos on big surface 3-D models, we get trouble with long servo arms and leverage. If the servo stops "dead" the mass of the control surface will leaver the servo arm past centre and the servo will try and move back to position...just as the surface moves the other way too and the mass takes over again and the surface 'flutters' around neutral. Slowing the stop will reduce this.
I have not seen a programming box yet, but guess its coming. Maybe software in Tx too

Dave
Old 11-21-2015, 01:41 PM
theSteam

Thanks Dave. I was told by JR, "The NX servos actually do not come with owners manuals. In order to access all of the features the NX servos have, they do need to be used with an XBus receiver, and an XBus center hub. This allows you full programmability of these servos." But in looking at what I could find about the hubs, I saw no mention of the smart servo feature setup. Those sound like features I would use at some point on a model. "fast servos on big surface 3-D models"
Old 11-22-2015, 08:30 PM
spike5150

Menus are in the TX for all the smart servo functions - 28x at least. Inside xbus menu. You need some kind of hub unless you only want to use 1 smart servo (I.e. Plugged directly into Rx xbus port). Does not have to be a heavy duty hub. But, all current NX servos are standard or mini so you probably would want the better power distribution.

Last edited by spike5150; 11-22-2015 at 08:33 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:15 AM
warbird_1

once you get the servo adjusted to where you want it , make sure you hit set or the settings will be lost upon shutdown of the radio. i found that out after a few times lol
Old 11-23-2015, 10:14 AM
theSteam

Thanks for the information Gents.
Douglas
Old 11-23-2015, 05:53 PM
MattyMatt

They are correct... The NX Servo adjustments are done through the transmitter in the XBus menu.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:46 PM
Airforce7
My Feedback: (31)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

This morning while setting up a new receiver (RG1131BPU) I got an error message on the transmitter screen. It said "Unfortunately Pico TTS has stopped." I hit OK and the message went away. I lost connection with the receiver right after the message appeared. I had no control of the servos attached to the receiver in the jet and no indication from the receiver or the transmitter LEDs anything was wrong. I had to power off the transmitter before I was able to reconnect with the receiver. My transmitter and receiver were powered on for at least 15-20 minutes before the message appeared. I worked on the jet some more this evening and did not get a message like this again. Does anybody have any info on this error message or links I can read up on? If not I will call JR.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:02 AM
warbird_1

Originally Posted by Airforce7
This morning while setting up a new receiver (RG1131BPU) I got an error message on the transmitter screen. It said "Unfortunately Pico TTS has stopped." I hit OK and the message went away. I lost connection with the receiver right after the message appeared. I had no control of the servos attached to the receiver in the jet and no indication from the receiver or the transmitter LEDs anything was wrong. I had to power off the transmitter before I was able to reconnect with the receiver. My transmitter and receiver were powered on for at least 15-20 minutes before the message appeared. I worked on the jet some more this evening and did not get a message like this again. Does anybody have any info on this error message or links I can read up on? If not I will call JR.
i would contact JR right away. that could have been a big problem if you had been flying. can i ask.... what were you doing when the software crash? was it just sitting there or were you setting it up like adjusting things? this is the 3rd or 4th time i have heard of the system crashing in some form . the troubling part is tthe radio lost bind. that's NOT supposed to happen if the android software crashes. there is a facebook page for owners that i would post that to as well. i can't recall my software crashing causing an unbinding reaction ,but i have had glitches too WB_1
Old 11-29-2015, 07:06 AM
MattyMatt

were you in a mix or setup screen for a long time? I've had mine give an error when setting up mixes that were taking a very long time to setup and was just sitting idle for 10+ min. This was in the ver1 software. I haven't seen it since.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:31 AM
Airforce7
My Feedback: (31)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I sent an email to JR Americas about it, but I'll probably follow up with a phone call today.

I believe I was in the travel adjust menu when it happened, but not 100% sure. I wasn't on the home screen.

I've had the transmitter since March and do have other aircraft setup on it including another turbine jet (UF) which I've flown a few times with it. It's running the version 2 update.

I finished up programming my J-10 on the new receiver (RG1131BPU) yesterday and didn't see the error message.

I'll wait for a response from JR about it before using the transmitter again.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:40 AM
warbird_1

I sent an email to JR Americas about it, but I'll probably follow up with a phone call today.

I believe I was in the travel adjust menu when it happened, but not 100% sure. I wasn't on the home screen.

I've had the transmitter since March and do have other aircraft setup on it including another turbine jet (UF) which I've flown a few times with it. It's running the version 2 update.

I finished up programming my J-10 on the new receiver (RG1131BPU) yesterday and didn't see the error message.

I'll wait for a response from JR about it before using the transmitter again.
have you done the first two updates yet ?
Old 11-30-2015, 06:51 AM
chorner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PICO TTS, is the speech synthesis program included with Android OS. The main Android OS application CPU and the CPU for the control functions are indeed separated. The only way the threads running on the main Android dedicated CPU can affect the operation of the radio link itself, is if something happens during the write process to save settings created through the Android interface. The connection is momentarily updated/interrupted or stalled because there may be a read/write error to the volatile memory (RAM), while trying to save/open/close a connection to the non-volatile memory (storage memory) for the radio's CPU to read from, while operating the radio.

I highly doubt you'd ever be in a situation where you're navigating through the Android menus while flying, but I would have to imagine it'd be possible to potentially stall out the radio if you nudge into or play with the menus while doing so - kind of increasing the risk of error in that sense. To translate: I think it'd be extremely rare if not "impossible" to ever see this kind of issue come up while in the middle of flying, unless you're messing with the settings purposely or by accident.

I've now had a total of 1 application crash while configuring the radio. I could only attribute it to trying to re-assign the "trim" switches on the top shoulders of the radio, as being a 2 position switch and configuring a mix off of it. It wasn't properly recognizing the switch changes, and kept messing with it... next menu I went into to play with it again and sure enough it eventually crashed out the application. Closed it, and continued playing with it. There are no doubt some lingering bugs in the Android apps. Not to detract from the radio, I love it... but, Android wouldn't have been my first choice of touch OS to run. I'd much rather have used Windows CE if doing it myself, despite not liking Windows much either - it's a much more mature platform from a code stability standpoint.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:21 AM
warbird_1

Originally Posted by chorner
PICO TTS, is the speech synthesis program included with Android OS. The main Android OS application CPU and the CPU for the control functions are indeed separated. The only way the threads running on the main Android dedicated CPU can affect the operation of the radio link itself, is if something happens during the write process to save settings created through the Android interface. The connection is momentarily updated/interrupted or stalled because there may be a read/write error to the volatile memory (RAM), while trying to save/open/close a connection to the non-volatile memory (storage memory) for the radio's CPU to read from, while operating the radio.

I highly doubt you'd ever be in a situation where you're navigating through the Android menus while flying, but I would have to imagine it'd be possible to potentially stall out the radio if you nudge into or play with the menus while doing so - kind of increasing the risk of error in that sense. To translate: I think it'd be extremely rare if not "impossible" to ever see this kind of issue come up while in the middle of flying, unless you're messing with the settings purposely or by accident.

I've now had a total of 1 application crash while configuring the radio. I could only attribute it to trying to re-assign the "trim" switches on the top shoulders of the radio, as being a 2 position switch and configuring a mix off of it. It wasn't properly recognizing the switch changes, and kept messing with it... next menu I went into to play with it again and sure enough it eventually crashed out the application. Closed it, and continued playing with it. There are no doubt some lingering bugs in the Android apps. Not to detract from the radio, I love it... but, Android wouldn't have been my first choice of touch OS to run. I'd much rather have used Windows CE if doing it myself, despite not liking Windows much either - it's a much more mature platform from a code stability standpoint.
that's the most sense i've heard yet. did you stay at a holiday express last night ? lol. no really .. that was a good explanation of the system. i think i have heard of one unsubstantiated case where a guy lost bind/link in the air.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.