Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jets Over Kentucky 2015 - "Worlds Grandest Jet Event"

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jets Over Kentucky 2015 - "Worlds Grandest Jet Event"

Old 07-14-2015, 01:33 PM
jws_aces
My Feedback: (33)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Big red hawk

First off let me take a chance to thank everyone for the kind words and help with dealing of such a loss. My wife Linda and I had one of the best times all week long. Everyone was so kind. Thanks to Greg, Lee for letting us share the tent. Lukey and Boli for being great neighbors. Barry, Dirk and Chris for there support and hanging out together. Shelly and Dave, Amie and Bob, Nir, James, Eric, Lewis, Paul, Keith.

Special thanks to Danny, Dana and his son of Cheif Aircraft and a special thanks to Greg Arnette what a classy guy!

Marvin for doing a great job on the flight line. Also flying the Hawk. It was nice to sit back and watch it fly so gracefully. That was too cool. I know I will forget someone so please don't get afended if I forgot to mention you.

Yes the Hawk was selected by the judges for best craftsmanship and best lights. It was an awesome jet. Yes I want another one. I have had a couple of days to ponder a different airframe but I keep coming back to it. I had over 150 flights on it since March of last year. A lot of you have seen in personand many have flown it. It is one of the best scale jets to fly because it is so forgiving.

There is no answer to what happened. What I do know for sure it wasn’t a battery because all batteries were connected to my telemetry with alarms. The fire started after the turbine shut down near the end of the flight. It was just about the time I was turning crosswind to call gear pass. The turbine shut off and I called flameout and continue in the pattern to land on base leg we notice a small trail of black smoke. I deployed the electric gear and landed. You could see asmall fire at the rear wing root were the flaps tuck up into the fuse. With the flaps down you could see inside and see the fire. It looked to be contained in the floor just behind the front of the turbine. The only thing back that farwas the turbine and the smoke pump. The elevator servo wires ran along the floor and they survived long enough to make the landing.

The fire continued to grow to a point it made its way to the front of the jet and that is when all the alarms went off. It pretty much melted everything. The NTSB wouldn't figure this one out because there is nothing left.

The other fact is that the pipe was still ok after the fire. It hadn’tcollapsed.

One thought was on the first Saturday I had replaced the smoke pump and it's possible one of the lines could have came off and sprayed into the front of the turbine and shut it down also spraying in the floor and causing the fire. The only problem I had with that is I was out of smoke at the end of the flight Iam pretty sure I had it off on the switch. There was not sign of white smoke either.

We will never know. That jet was so good to me and I know I will do it again once I figure out a way to come up with the money.

If you watch the videos that were posted you will see just how cool that jet was.

My wife and I thank everyone again for letting us be part of a great community of jet people.

Keep watching the skies for the “British are Coming” again J

Last edited by jws_aces; 07-15-2015 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:58 PM
sc0tt
My Feedback: (61)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks again to Lewis, ground crew and pilots who help make this event better each year.
Can't wait for next year and already pre-registered before I left.
Hopefully the weather will cooperate and we won't have jets over the swamp again...

Scott Adams
Old 07-14-2015, 03:25 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Jeff you flew great my friend. The next one will be even better! Sorry to see you do a perfect landing and still loose the plane
Old 07-14-2015, 04:55 PM
M3Baker

Originally Posted by jws_aces
First off let me take a chance to thank everyone for the kind words and help with dealing of such a loss. I My wife Linda and I had one of the best times all week long. Everyone was so kind. Thanks to Greg, Lee for letting us share the tent. Lukey and Boli for being great neighbors. Barry, Dirk and Chris for there support and hanging out together. Shelly and Dave, Amie and Bob, Nir, James, Eric, Lewis, Paul, Keith.

Special thanks to Danny, Dana and his son of Cheif Aircraft and a special thanks to Greg Arnette what a classy guy!

Marvin for doing a great job on the flight line. Also flying the Hawk. It was nice to sit back and watch it fly so gracefully. That was too cool. I know I will forget someone so please don't get afended if I forgot to mention you.

Yes the Hawk was selected by the judges for best craftsmanship and best lights. It was an awesome jet. Yes I want another one. I have had a couple of days to ponder a different airframe but I keep coming back to it. I had over 150 flights on it since March of last year. A lot of you have seen in personand many have flown it. It is one of the best scale jets to fly because it is so forgiving.

There is no answer to what happened. What I do know for sure it wasn’t a battery because all batteries were connected to my telemetry with alarms. The fire started after the turbine shut down near the end of the flight. It was just about the time I was turning crosswind to call gear pass. The turbine shut off and I called flameout and continue in the pattern to land on base leg we notice a small trail of black smoke. I deployed the electric gear and landed. You could see asmall fire at the rear wing root were the flaps tuck up into the fuse. With the flaps down you could see inside and see the fire. It looked to be contained in the floor just behind the front of the turbine. The only thing back that farwas the turbine and the smoke pump. The elevator servo wires ran along thefloor and they survived long enough to make the landing.

The fire continued to grow to a point it made its way to the front of the jet and that is when all the alarms went off. It pretty much melted everything. The NTSBwould figure this one out because there is nothing left.

The other fact is that the pipe was still ok after the fire. It hadn’tcollapsed.

One thought was on the first Saturday I had replaced the smoke pump and it's possible one of the lines could have came off and sprayed into the front of the turbine and shut it down also spraying in the floor and causing the fire. The only problem I had with that is I was out of smoke at the end of the flight Iam pretty sure I had it off on the switch. There was not sign of white smoke either.

We will never know. That jet was so good to me and I know I will do it again once I figure out a way to come up with the money.

If you watch the videos that were posted you will see just how cool that jet was.

My wife and I thank everyone again for letting us be part of a great community of jet people.

Keep watching the skies for the “Britishare Coming” again J
Jeff,
I consider you and Linda as my friends, and again, I am so sorry for the loss. I know how much you enjoyed the Hawk and I'm sure you'll be back with another one very soon. Just keep coming to the events and I promise you stick time on any of my jets.
You showed so much class with your comments at the event banquet. I'm just not sure that I could have swallowed that loss and keep my head up like you did. Class act, man.
Paul
Old 07-14-2015, 05:30 PM
Marvinf14
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys AWESOME AWESOMEEEEE AND AWESOMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE what a great time we all had, amazing and i loved every second of JOK 2015 all you guys RULE screw it you guys ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you all and Lewis for the HUGE Family we are at JOK!!!!

Heres a Live Stream I did :
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/67295272

Old 07-14-2015, 05:32 PM
jws_aces

Paul,

I really enjoy your friendship and kind words. I really didn't want anything to hurt what I really had be enjoying. The lost of the plane and quick kneejerk reaction really is not what I am all about. I like being around people like you the others there and I felt really bad about the impression from the few minutes of anger from the events of the loss was not what I wanted to be a lingering impression for people to come away from that event. I felt I owed it to you guys and that is why I asked Lewis to let me speak.
Yes it hurts to loose the jet but loosing my friends is far worse. Also being recognized by my peers was awesome and motivation do it again.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:54 PM
Lil Chief
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeff

As I sit here and read the thread and your comments and listening to your speak at the awards dinner I really don't know what to say. Nobody I can think of including myself would have been so calming. Keep up the positive attitude!!!

Last edited by Lil Chief; 07-14-2015 at 06:03 PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:40 PM
emaupin451

Originally Posted by Marvinf14
Hey guys AWESOME AWESOMEEEEE AND AWESOMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE what a great time we all had, amazing and i loved every second of JOK 2015 all you guys RULE screw it you guys ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you all and Lewis for the HUGE Family we are at JOK!!!!

Heres a Live Stream I did :

Marv wish you could have stayed longer, glad to see you made it home, look forward to seeing you next year!!!!!!!!!!!! Your the BEST AIRBOSS!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-14-2015, 08:10 PM
PREACHHAMES
My Feedback: (58)

Jeff,

I was surprised to hear the news concerning your Hawk. It would have been nice to stay beyond lunch on Saturday, but duty called.
After spending several days together, it was evident why you are such an asset to the jet community...your great attitude.
This reminded me of what Charles Swindoll wrote several years back:

The longer I live, the moreI realize the impact of attitude on life.

Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than thepast, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes,than what other people think or say or do. It is more important thanappearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company... a church...a home.

The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude wewill embrace for that day. We cannot change our past... we cannot change thefact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable.The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is ourattitude... I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how Ireact to it.

And so it is with you... we are in charge of our attitudes.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:27 PM
jws_aces

Here is what I took of Lewis first flight on the Hun

Had to use music no audio yet on the drone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAsRJQJsuK0
Old 07-15-2015, 02:33 AM
spankystoys

Jeff your awesome. See you in port Clinton ohio for warbirds over port Clinton or at night hawks. Hugs Shelley
Old 07-15-2015, 05:42 AM
Marvinf14

Eric Maupin brother your awesome you guys ROCK with the TEAM work most definitely counting down already for JOK2016, I drove back relaxed took me bout 18 hours made safe n sound missing everyone we had an amazing time at JOK15 and im super happy all street signs worked GREAT!!!!!
Old 07-15-2015, 05:44 AM
Marvinf14

JEFFFFFFFFFFFFF OMG Awesomeeee footage LOVED IT music was even perfect for video!!!!!!!!

Im so sorry on the HAWK I will miss her she was a sweet flier THANK YOU for letting me fly her i think she liked me jejejeeee what a sweet plane , lots of LOVE to you and your wife both of you are great couple looking forward to seen you both
Old 07-15-2015, 07:13 AM
BILLYDSRC

Thank you Lewis for putting on The Best place to be at in the world for Rc jet fun and FRIENDS!!! Thank you for everything you do!!
Billy D
Old 07-15-2015, 07:22 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts

Jeff that was very cool footage of the F100 maiden, almost sureal!
Old 07-15-2015, 09:47 AM
jeteye

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

Fantastic Jeff! The Hun flew very well with no issues. Really going to enjoy this one! Thanks for taking your time to record the flight.

Sorry for the loss of the Hawk, but I know you will come back better and stronger!

Lewis
Old 07-15-2015, 12:24 PM
myersflyers

Hey Lewis, I want to thank you again for all your help. The effort you put into making this truly a grand event is certainly well noted. I think I can safely say many of us are grateful for your hard work before, during and after such a wonderful event. Looking forward to next year!!!

Thanks,
keith
Old 07-15-2015, 12:32 PM
myersflyers

Scott, Sorry I missed you and your Dad before I left. Hope he's doing well. Tell Him I and the wife said "Hello". We'll see ya same spot, same place next year.
Regards,
Keith
Old 07-15-2015, 12:36 PM
myersflyers

Billy, Nice to have finally met you. Thanks for the fine food and conversation. I'll be in contact about the nose retract and Vixen paint scheme. Take Care.
Keith
Old 07-15-2015, 12:51 PM
jeteye

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

Missing Sunglasses Found At JOK

Our staff found these glasses during cleanup Sunday. I made several announcements Saturday, and hope these are what we were looking for. They are prescription, and must be needed. I know the individuals face, but can't remember the name. Hopefully he will chime in and claim them.

Lewis
502-592-5267

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	JOK Missing Glasses.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	2109368  

Last edited by jeteye; 07-15-2015 at 02:02 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:33 PM
asimatt
My Feedback: (26)

Great event Lewis. Awesome job as always!!!
Old 07-15-2015, 04:37 PM
sc0tt
My Feedback: (61)

Originally Posted by myersflyers
Scott, Sorry I missed you and your Dad before I left. Hope he's doing well. Tell Him I and the wife said "Hello". We'll see ya same spot, same place next year.
Regards,
Keith
Thanks Keith. I was a little bummed out this year due to my dad being in the hospital the week before with his heart issues and what the future may hold with that. I could tell he was feeling tired by friday afternoon so we left the event. Sorry I didn't get a chance to say goodbye to you and many others. Tell your family I said "hello" and hope to see you at a more local event prior to JOK2016 !!!

Take Care...Scott
Old 07-15-2015, 04:39 PM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

I had a good time in spite of the Rain, Mud and the scare on my last KingCat flight.............Hope to see ya next year, y'all.......
Old 07-15-2015, 05:06 PM
asimatt
My Feedback: (26)

Jeff
How did the video turn out with your quad and my Eurosport? BTW sorry for your loss on the hawk
Old 07-15-2015, 06:07 PM
jws_aces

Originally Posted by asimatt
Jeff
How did the video turn out with your quad and my Eurosport? BTW sorry for your loss on the hawk
I have some more of everything including the Eurosport. I just have to piece it all together. I hope to have more by the weekend.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.