Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Taiwan plane cartwheels into river after hiting bridge

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Taiwan plane cartwheels into river after hiting bridge

Old 02-04-2015, 04:54 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Taiwan plane cartwheels into river after hiting bridge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ffvo0JxuIqw

Looks like the pilot was trying hard to clear the building on the left before stalling into the river. Very sad.

Last edited by basimpsn; 02-04-2015 at 05:04 AM.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:02 AM
basimpsn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry double post

Last edited by basimpsn; 02-04-2015 at 05:05 AM.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:24 AM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

Looking at the still photos, the left engine wasnt running.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:09 AM
muzzgail

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The wing struck the yellow van on the way down. He was lucky to be walking around after that.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:48 AM
SushiHunter

Originally Posted by muzzgail
The wing struck the yellow van on the way down. He was lucky to be walking around after that.
Yeah he's lucky. Looks like the plane had a wing stall. Why the stall, that's the big question which will probably be answered if they can get data from the plane. It's a prop jobber and this did happen in Taiwan so no telling if that plane had a functional black box on board.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:15 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

Yeah it looked like a VMC demonstration. In full scale multi-engine stuff, all the various minimum and maximum air speeds are labeled as "V" speeds. VMC is minimum single engine control speed. If you drop under that speed with only one engine putting out power, the aircraft will initially pull to the dead engine and you cannot override that asymmetric thrust with the control surfaces. As the problem progresses, the aircraft will roll into the dead engine and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it then unless you are way high.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:29 AM
SushiHunter

Looks like the plane had very little airspeed. Resembles how it looked back when I was first getting into r/c when I was a kid and came in for a landing way to slow and the plane was right at the stall speed only a few yards off the deck. Watching that video, looks like the plane was nice and level coming in for what appeared to be the same a very smooth controlled landing. But once that plane slowed, it stalled. Looks like it stalled roughly 50 or so feet over the bridge.

Last edited by SushiHunter; 02-04-2015 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:29 AM
marquisvns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SushiHunter
Yeah he's lucky. Looks like the plane had a wing stall. Why the stall, that's the big question which will probably be answered if they can get data from the plane. It's a prop jobber and this did happen in Taiwan so no telling if that plane had a functional black box on board.
Sushi Hunter, Yes, there are functional black boxes on all commercial aircrafts in Taiwan and it's already recovered. This less than some 1200 hours old regional TP had number 1 engine flameout upon takeoff. The pilot declared mayday and tried to sustain its flight over the narrow and winding river while avoiding crashing into high rise buildings and bridges, I'd say excellent effort of the pilot for keeping it above the river with asymmetrical thrust and full fuel load that ended up stalling over the bridge. Latest stats I got was 58 onboard with 27 confirmed deaths and still 16 some missing, 15 survived.

Last edited by marquisvns; 02-04-2015 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:49 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Presumably the aircraft should be able to climb on one engine though?
Old 02-04-2015, 12:01 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by siclick33
Presumably the aircraft should be able to climb on one engine though?
With a full fuel load + passenger and cargo weight it would be difficult to climb on one engine and he would need to fly straight ahead with a very shallow climb rate
to gain airspeed and altitude only then could he turn safely and then only toward the dead engine.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:15 PM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Pull the good engine and crash straight ahead wings level and take what you get.... Better than going in inverted !!!

Danno
Old 02-04-2015, 12:41 PM
Erik R
My Feedback: (32)

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I just marvel at the uninformed things written here. In all transport category airplanes, including the ATR, Vmc is below V2, which is the single engine, best rate of climb speed. All transport category airplanes will climb with an engine out, provided they are at or below the max takeoff weight for the ambient conditions. It is illegal in the US to take off above that weight, and I find it hard to believe that any carrier, worldwide would do so. There is obviously more to this story, and it is in extremely poor taste to second guess what happened here.

God bless the crew, passengers, and their families.

Erik

Last edited by Erik R; 02-04-2015 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:43 PM
jws_aces
My Feedback: (33)

I hate it for the ones that were lost. This is a problem when every you build a city around an airport. Yes it is nice for the traveler but when it goes wrong the results usually are bad unless you name is Capt Sulley. If they would have took off somewere in an open terrian he may could have don't everything everyone is suggesting and even made it back to the airport.

Put your self in the pilot seat.

They did their best to avoid everything they could with all the buildings and terrain.

If you really look at the damage it was small and some lives were saved.

What if he would have hit one of the buildings. We have seen what happens then. Fire, people on the ground and in the building killed.

He managed to get lucky enought to hit water.

That save a lot of live to cushion the hit and keep the fires away.

Prayers to all involved.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:44 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by rcjetsaok
Pull the good engine and crash straight ahead wings level and take what you get.... Better than going in inverted !!!

Danno
That's why there are so many more fatalities in twin engine aircraft crashes where losing an engine was the primary cause. Single engine stuff gives you no choice but to land and best do that straight ahead as mentioned. With twins, when you lose an engine guys get messing around trying to restart the dead engine and forget the first rule of an emergency; fly the airplane.

Turbine powered stuff does have a better single engine capability, but as already noted, when heavy and who knows at this point how heavy he was in relation to the AC's gross weight, 'ain't nothing going to fly very well immediately after takeoff.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:48 PM
Erik R
My Feedback: (32)

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeeb
That's why there are so many more fatalities in twin engine aircraft crashes where losing an engine was the primary cause. Single engine stuff gives you no choice but to land and best do that straight ahead as mentioned. With twins, when you lose an engine guys get messing around trying to restart the dead engine and forget the first rule of an emergency; fly the airplane.

Turbine powered stuff does have a better single engine capability, but as already noted, when heavy and who knows at this point how heavy he was in relation to the AC's gross weight, 'ain't nothing going to fly very well immediately after takeoff.
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Your entire statement is incorrect, with regard to transport category airplanes.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:07 PM
RJE
My Feedback: (13)

Originally Posted by Erik R
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Your entire statement is incorrect, with regard to transport category airplanes.
Yep..... A lot of that in these threads..
Old 02-04-2015, 01:09 PM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Again ,Why is this posted on the Jet thread !!!!!
Old 02-04-2015, 01:16 PM
jws_aces

Originally Posted by Erik R
+1

I am sure these guys or gals were doing there best to save them selves, the passengers and the airplane and were doing the right thing. They appear to be caught in a very bad situation. I wouldn't second guess anything at this point much less condeming the pilot.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:24 PM
jws_aces

Double post ?

Last edited by jws_aces; 02-04-2015 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:25 PM
jws_aces

Originally Posted by uncljoe

Maybe b
ecause it appears no one wants to post any good RC Jetstuff like video, pictures and information due to the all the negative responses to either their building ideas, or what they choose to buy and fly,Where and how they fly or that their grammar and spelling is never correct or proper.

I just don’t understand either why we have threads like this one.

Last edited by jws_aces; 02-04-2015 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:58 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Very sad, driver of van very lucky.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:13 PM
Jetdktr
My Feedback: (21)

Originally Posted by uncljoe
Maybe because Turboprop a/c are allowed to fly at Jet events!!!!
Old 02-04-2015, 09:31 PM
jofunk

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

What I find strange is that they don't stop to help the people in the plane or the cab driver. They decide to keep driving.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:57 AM
FBaity
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by Zeeb
Yeah it looked like a VMC demonstration. In full scale multi-engine stuff, all the various minimum and maximum air speeds are labeled as "V" speeds. VMC is minimum single engine control speed. If you drop under that speed with only one engine putting out power, the aircraft will initially pull to the dead engine and you cannot override that asymmetric thrust with the control surfaces. As the problem progresses, the aircraft will roll into the dead engine and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it then unless you are way high.
Excellent Zeeb, I thought vmc problem from first video clip I saw last night. The aircraft is shown cleaned up, gear & flaps up with gear doors closed and LE looks to be in "auto feather". If the aircraft had been above vmc there is no reason to lose control unless there was another system failure we don't know about yet.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:26 AM
Granpooba

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A statement from a fellow pilot and FAA Examiner - You can take all the black boxes, red boxes and any color boxes, but unless you are actually sitting in one of the pilot seats when the incident occurs, you will really never know what happened !

Simple, simple ...............

I love all the second guessers and Monday night quarter backs !

After a career in aviation, I have lost track of how many times I have been asked after an aviation accident, " What do you think happened ? What do you think caused it ? ".
Got really tired of stating, how the heck would I know, I was not in the cockpit flying the aircraft !

Yes it is sad that people lost their lives and my thoughts and prayers go out to those folks, as I have lost so many good friends in aviation accidents. One time in one family, the father and his two sons were all killed in aviation accidents. Notice I said accidents, because they were all separate accidents.

Lets just have good thoughts for the folks that have lost their lives and the loved ones that are suffering because of this incident. And stop the second guessing !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.