Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Weatronic BAT 60 and BAT 64 USA release.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Weatronic BAT 60 and BAT 64 USA release.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 03:59 AM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ddennison
Sounds great Oli.

What is the wait time for a transmitter now (tray)?

Thanks,
Dave
This is slowly getting down now. We are still offering them on waiting list of about 6 weeks.
We do have one MIL spec 64 available on stock though.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Resize of IMG_1182.JPG
Views:	528
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	2106551  
Old 06-30-2015, 04:01 AM
olnico

Originally Posted by roger.alli

I dont mean to be negative here Oli, but you must see that without data logging, and access to Gyros (which are in the Rxs already), the system has big short comings. Am I missing something here??

Roger
I am not the one establishing the priorities in Weatronic...
Old 06-30-2015, 11:18 AM
David Gladwin

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

No Roger, you are NOT missing anything here, just the contrary. All of my Jets have multiple gyro applications, rudders, ailerons and nose steering so I can't use my BAT 60 until those functions are operative. The NavView is a vital tool , one of the (many) great strengths of the Weatronics system, so for now I am still using my JR 12 Xs with the DV4 modules from which I can assess the Rf performance etc. AND use the gyros exactly as they were intended. !!

I also now have a JR 28x, a great radio, beautifully made with truly superb sticks and many other excellent features, but even that new radio is, in some respects, way behind the technology introduced by Wea 6 years ago, particularly the dual Rf links, Nav view and integrated gyros to name but three.

Please give my best regards to my Australian friends, and remind them that they will be most welcome to be my house guests if you come over for Jet Power, now just 10 weeks away !!

David.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:24 PM
roger.alli

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by olnico
I am not the one establishing the priorities in Weatronic...
Hi Oli,

Yes, of course I appreciate this.. My apologies. My post did not intend to imply that you were in any way to blame for setting Wetronics priorities.

I guess that I am just a frustrated Wea user. I actually want to purchase a new radio, but cant bring myself buy a Bat 60, without those basic functions.. I’m having an internal argument with myself about waiting for the Bat 60 to come good, or purchasing a Jeti

Most of the Wea users in Australia gave up on the system years ago. Many of them are now using Jeti which

Perhaps you or David could ask Wea when they expect the Bat 60, data logging and gyro functions to be released..

And Hi David,

Will pass on your regards to the JFA crew. (As we shiver though a Sydney winter ).

Roger
Old 06-30-2015, 10:27 PM
olnico

Originally Posted by David Gladwin
The NavView is a vital tool , one of the (many) great strengths of the Weatronics system, so for now I am still using my JR 12 Xs with the DV4 modules from which I can assess the Rf performance etc. AND use the gyros exactly as they were intended. !!
David.
Hi mate.
Just a quick correction here. RF performance can be perfectly monitored in flight. Just setup 2 telemetry screens with Frames RX1 and Frames RX2.
You can have your spotter watch the RF performance live while flying.
For pilot monitoring, setup a voice alert on RX 1 and RX 2 Frames at or below 50% or alternatively, use 50% minimum RF range in the receiver configuration page. That will give you plenty of buffer towards RF range.

NavView is an expert tool. It is designed to study the RF performance of the model AFTER the flight from the log. To be effective it needs to be coupled with a GPS so that one can see the position of the model in space to identify a better antenna positioning.
To be very honest with you, I made a complete procedural description about how to characterize antenna patterns and optimize placement with this tool. This starts from basic workshop tests and ends up with advanced antenna patterns characterization.
This is found in pages 77 to 88 of the manual below:

http://www.geohei.lu/olin/data/model...%20rev%203.pdf

I never had any question from any customer about this technique.
I reckon only you and Lance Campbell have used this effectively on a model.

However, I need that tool big time for my MIL and industrial customers...
Old 07-01-2015, 12:22 AM
roger.alli

I disagree Oli, I use Nav view all the time, and I am far from an expert.. Not just for RF testing either.

Although I admit I have not read your manual Oli, I have done quite a bit of antenna positioning testing using the log files, GPS and Gigacontrol, in the 3D screen. There is really nothing too difficult about it. It showed me that usually the worst RF condition was just as the model rolls out from base to finals. Low, and pointing towards me. Various different antenna positions have been experimented with, HOWEVER, the biggest improvement in RSSI and frames came about with installing Ver 3.63 firmware. This was clearly observable when comparing log files of previous firmware. Hmmmmm.

This is what gave me the best results..

BUT for me at least, the Log files are so much more useful than just RF monitoring . For example.

Checking Rx current draw, and or Batt voltage over the duration of a flight. It is nice to know what servos are using power and when. (Flaps are by far the most power hungry servos, especially when deployed at speed).

Checking Tx battery health.

GPS positon/speed. This can data be down loaded to Google earth. There is lots of fun things to do with the GPS.

My Super Bandit has a Vario with a pitot. This is very useful (and fun) for checking speeds and altitude through various flight phases. I use voice, but the log files give me the max and min speeds.

Tx and Rx temps are monitored. (This taught me to keep the Tx out of the sun, before it became a problem.)

The list goes on and on.

Having the logs file means I can review ALL the data every second of the flight, not just a very few parameters which are briefly displayed or called out.. AND, I save all my flight log files, so if I suspect anything may have changed, (i.e battery performance,) I can compare today's values with a flight completed when the batteries were new.

And the big one. If the model is lost, data is retained. It can help rule out some possible causes when investigating a crash...

Log files used to be a big selling feature with Wea! I wonder what changed..

Roger
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	log.jpg
Views:	691
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	2106735   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130928_090420.jpg
Views:	659
Size:	958.6 KB
ID:	2106737  
Old 07-01-2015, 12:59 AM
olnico

I guess that I am just a frustrated Wea user. I actually want to purchase a new radio, but cant bring myself buy a Bat 60, without those basic functions

Roger
This is not exactly a basic function.
No other manufacturer in the World offers integrated gyro in a receiver.
Especially as tiny as the Smart 8.

However most people buy the BAT system for its unique intuitive user interface, huge color touch screen, and most importantly industrial/ MIL grade permanent dual RF link.

This combination of feature is already unique in the industry.

Now the BAT system is also offering a unique built-in sequencer with user friendly graphic interface:

It allow to setup up to 12 different sequence programs comprising of up to all the receiver servos split into 10 timed segments per servo! This makes it the most user friendly and most comprehensive sequencer on the market.

I am not really sure why you would downgrade to another system with less proven non permanent dual RF link, without path antennas, that does not offer integrated gyro functionality neither.

Note that we are coming with a patch antenna version of the micro 10 and micro 12 very soon.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:44 AM
olnico

I disagree Oli, I use Nav view all the time, and I am far from an expert.. Not just for RF testing either.

Roger
Good to see that there are a few people on this planet that use the Weatronic system to its full potential.
The BAT Analyzer software that will come out some time will be a lot more sophisticated and allow a lot more in-depth data analysis than the current NavView version.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:46 AM
David Gladwin

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

Totally agree with Roger. With respect Oli, the gyro function IS a basic function for many of us.

I love the idea that the receivers have integrated gyros, ( dont know why more radios dont have them, MEMS gyros are tiny ) almost all of my 15 Wea receivers have them BUT I can't programme or use them with the current BAT 60 firmware !!

I recently asked Wea when the gyro firmware would be available as I wished to use my BAT 60 in my Hawk at the forthcoming JWM. It has dual aileron gyros, plus rudder and n/s and I wished to add pitch damping too, all possible on my Gizmos. Their reply was that it was best to continue using the JR 12x with the module, so it does not look like anytime soon for gyro firmware !

We need it and I have advised Wea that is the case !!

David.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:37 PM
roger.alli

Originally Posted by David Gladwin
Totally agree with Roger. With respect Oli, the gyro function IS a basic function for many of us.

I love the idea that the receivers have integrated gyros, ( dont know why more radios dont have them, MEMS gyros are tiny ) almost all of my 15 Wea receivers have them BUT I can't programme or use them with the current BAT 60 firmware !!

I recently asked Wea when the gyro firmware would be available as I wished to use my BAT 60 in my Hawk at the forthcoming JWM. It has dual aileron gyros, plus rudder and n/s and I wished to add pitch damping too, all possible on my Gizmos. Their reply was that it was best to continue using the JR 12x with the module, so it does not look like anytime soon for gyro firmware !

We need it and I have advised Wea that is the case !!

David.
Saddened to hear this David.. There are simply not enough functions on my 12x/DV4 to run a scale jet..

Roger
Old 07-02-2015, 05:25 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Oli,

I guess that I am just a frustrated Wea user. I actually want to purchase a new radio, but cant bring myself buy a Bat 60, without those basic functions.. I’m having an internal argument with myself about waiting for the Bat 60 to come good, or purchasing a Jeti

Most of the Wea users in Australia gave up on the system years ago. Many of them are now using Jeti which

Roger
i made that switch almost a year ago Roger and am very happy with the Jeti equipment. It was costly at the time to dump all my Wea gear which I had a fair amount of. At the time I was completely frutrated with the wait for the BAT 60. If I had stuck it out with Wea I would be pulling my hair out over the TX being incapable of recording and reviewing the data. That is the primary reason I was using Weatronic!.

The gyro's were less significant to me as I had stopped using them. 3 out of four jets were experiencing gyro glitches due to acoustic noise. I could no longer tolerate ailerons or rudder glitching over hard on me at the most inopportune time. It is a problem experienced by a number of users (identified by Harry on here a few years ago). Wea seems to be aware of it as per my conversations with Jens but, does not seem to have acted on it. Maybe this is why the gyro update for Bat 60 is slow to come? You can get a Demon Cortex or Igyro 3e now that work superbly with no glitching because of the turbine.

if you get a jeti, get yourself a nice on with the CF face and Red or Black paint The Jeti system has many advantages and retains the dual RF link that is so important with Wea users.

Mike

Last edited by luv2flyrc; 07-02-2015 at 05:43 AM.