Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Gyro for jets?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems
View Poll Results: Do you use a gyro? And what kind?
I use igyro?
28.49%
I use a cortex gyro?
33.33%
I use another kind of gyro?
15.59%
I don't use any gyro?
29.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Gyro for jets?

Old 02-08-2015, 11:04 AM
kelly vallee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gyro for jets?

The question I'm wondering should I add a gyro to me jet? It seems that ever person I talked to this winter will be or have been using a Gyro. Why?

Last edited by kelly vallee; 02-08-2015 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:21 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

The new gyros are pretty amazing, its not needed by any means and it all depends on what your looking for. I dont think gyros make jets easier to fly they just make them fly smoother and less bothered by outside forces like winds.
You do introduce another possible failure point and if not setup correctly and used right can cause a crash. The good news is most are easy to setup like the demon and even the Igyro if your setup is common, when you do like me a try to get the unit working with a uncommon setup like the a robbe system it can be complex. I currently want to throw mine out the window

Last edited by FenderBean; 02-08-2015 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:08 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

Since the iGyro 3e has just come onto the market I don't see you will learn much. In 6 months when the season is up and running you will get a better idea, the SRS iGyro was not for everyone as most want simple to use and set up.The iGyro 3e gives that choice. I'm expecting the iGyro 3e to be the one...actually I'm more than expecting!

Dave
Old 02-08-2015, 01:19 PM
happy flying

I have never used a gyro (except for heli) for me i enjoy the challenge of trying to fly smooth and the satisfaction when i get it right.

Steve
Old 02-08-2015, 03:03 PM
mavrick
My Feedback: (1)

Dave the only reason your expecting is because you sell them I have just set up a Demon and am loving it there are more Gyro's out there than just Igyro's. I am waiting for Jeti's receivers with the built in Gyro to become available and I will be trying them if they are any where near as good as the Jeti radio systems they will be fantastic.
Cheers
Mav
Old 02-08-2015, 03:56 PM
kelly vallee

Can anyone tell me if this different gyro work on a jet, that use the elevon function and two rudders?
Old 02-08-2015, 05:09 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by kelly vallee
Can anyone tell me if this different gyro work on a jet, that use the elevon function and two rudders?
the Cortex works In this configuration, I'm bet the igyro 3e does too.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:33 PM
essyou35

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Steve I agree with you.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:16 PM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Despite me being a Cortex dealer, I would say that 99% of jet's don't need a gyro. There are the odd ones that do but they are in the minority.

However, there are reasons why you might want to install one. It may improve the characteristics of your particular model (wing rock/fishtailing etc), it may make landing and take-off more solid (making it easier), it may make you more confident to fly in stronger, gustier winds, it may be that you like the technology and want to explore its possibilities.

In essence, in most cases there is no need for one, but if you want one then go for it.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:46 AM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

..now if you have spent hundreds of hours flying jets for over ten years the answer is Yes jets need a gyro: ..like all aerobatic planes need mixing out!

-Heavy retracts that change the C.G. when they are in , and change aerodynamically the elevator trim once they are out for landing.
-Huge fuel tanks with a litter left or more left during landing (1lt= estimate1kg) thats moves back and forth while u try to get the nose up during the flair.
-The usual mixout , planes need like flap to elevator,throttle to ruder and elevator (is your pipe zero to the wing incidence and rudder?)
aileron to rudder,rudder to elevator ,rudder to aileron and so on(..look up for "how to trim a plane")

All this programming in the past required many test flights in the hands of an experienced pilot .
And if the CG will change ..like add a dummy pilot or place a smoke pump..then it needs to be done all over again to experience the best flying your model can give you.

Now days we have Gyros to instantly mix out our models and precisely!

For me only PowerBox :
http://www.powerbox-systems.com/prod...o/igyro3e.html

http://www.powerbox-systems.com/prod.../igyrosrs.html

Why the only way for me? I have used PowerBox products in my 400KPH+ speed freak jet ..on my 170cc aerobatics..on my giand scale and my twin turbine jets and i had nothing but success.Like all the top guys at JetMasters ,F4C Championship and so on trust there pride and joy only to PowerBox.

(bare in mind is the only RC electronics manufacturer, which is officially licensed and regulated under DIN ISO 9001:2008 industrial norm.Thats why they cover there products with a 3 year guarantee.)

looking forward to receive my new iGyro 3e in the next couple of days

Last edited by DelGatoGrande; 02-09-2015 at 02:51 AM.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:08 AM
DelGatoGrande

Originally Posted by happy flying
I have never used a gyro (except for heli) for me i enjoy the challenge of trying to fly smooth and the satisfaction when i get it right.

Steve
PowerBox iGyros will NOT fly your jet for you.
They will only remove a HUGE unnecessary workload from the pilot! Who tries to correct the bad habits that required mix out in the first place.
This allows the pilot to improve his flying sequence, improve his aerobatic precision and enjoy more the flight .

Im sorry i do not understand this challenge.This way you may add a good few clicks down or up elevator each time ,to increase the challenge and the enjoyment ?
my 2c
Old 02-09-2015, 04:01 AM
DelGatoGrande

Originally Posted by mavrick
Dave the only reason your expecting is because you sell them I have just set up a Demon and am loving it there are more Gyro's out there than just Igyro's. I am waiting for Jeti's receivers with the built in Gyro to become available and I will be trying them if they are any where near as good as the Jeti radio systems they will be fantastic.
Cheers
Mav
Personally i chosen the iGyro 3e also because its the choice of the top guys.

Al Machinsky said this is the best gyro on the world…
and
Sebastiano Silvestri said additional that this iGyro 3e is full useable for all 3D figures .
Dan Asher on there tests he said this is a much better gyro than the others.

I will have mine in a couple of days and will let you know my experience with it
Old 02-09-2015, 07:56 AM
Albie1077
My Feedback: (6)

Gato,

Last week it was the cortex this week its the Igyro!

I have 4 cortex myself and saw the Igyro3 In two different planes this weekend the new rebel pro, a shockwave and they all work the same its all in the Programing of the gyro its self. But I would not count Cortex out just yet don't forget they have been in the Gyro Business A long long time and at the top of there game in the heli world. but on the contrast the price point of the gyro being cheaper and just using male to male servo cables to install does make it appealing.

-A
Old 02-09-2015, 07:57 AM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

Had a jet that had them... turned them off.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:11 AM
essyou35

I'm fine with people using gyros. But it chaps my hide if they try to criticize me in any way or act like they are Gods gift to the hobby with super skillz. Its not a competition, but if you use a gyro you are using a crutch and Thats fine, I'll fly without a gyro, I may wonder off the center line occassionallyor scrape a wing on landing in a crosswind. But I'm having fun.

Last edited by essyou35; 02-09-2015 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:46 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by essyou35
I'm fine with people using gyros. But it chaps my hide if they try to criticize me in any way or act like they are Gods gift to the hobby with super skillz. Its not a competition, but if you use a gyro you are using a crutch and Thats fine, I'll fly without a gyro, I may wonder off the center line occassionallyor scrape a wing on landing in a crosswind. But I'm having fun.
I always used to fly without a gyro until I got invoved in competition. These days they are a must for competition because everyone competing against you is using them. You are definitely at a disadvantage if you don't use one in competition. Regarding everyday flying? Why not? There is no shame in using one and it's definetely not a crutch. Most modern jets can't fly without computer control. I don't see a downside of using one. It doesn't take away the thrill of flying and it helps to make the jet more stable in flight. IMO that is a win win.

BTW, I support the Barvarian Demon Cortex. They make a fantastic gyro.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:05 AM
DelGatoGrande

Gyros are not a crutch. A gyro will NOT fly your plane for you. Crutch you could call an auto pilot that would fly a plane for you but not a gyro.

A gyro will help you do the advance trimming flying models required to fly there best.

The basic trimming is the end points ,the dual rates ,the centring.

Its like a model needs up trim elevator but you refuse to dial it in by using your trims in your radio because you see them as ….a crutch!?
And you keep flying the plane by holding up all the time because..you refuse to use the abilities of todays radios.

How you can perform a nice impressive slow axial roll when you to keep that up elevator all the time?
And lets say that the use or rudder requires up elevator at the same time "knife edge mix out" .
So during the first quarter of your slow axial roll you need to add up more up to compensate the course change because of the rudder use.
Add to the example aileron coupling for the use of rudder .And rudder coupling of the use of aileron during the roll.

With the use of a gyro all this work load disappear.And the pilot can consecrate on the axial roll. Starting by aileron then rudder,down,rudder and exit.
With out unnecessary work load of coupling corrections a pilot can practice and spent time improving his flying skills rather wasting time fighting his model to fly .

A gyro will do nothing more than what your radio can do.It will activate the mixes you see are in your radio already to perfection straight away.That require a lot of work to be done correctly in the first place.
And it will give you a perfectly mixed out model that you CAN crash the same way you would in the past because…you flew it toward that way.

There is the way of wasting time fighting the couplings every time you fly ..
and there is a way to get free from them and instead spent time improving your skills or even better copy the demo program of the full size from the airshow and practice it

…my 2c
Old 02-09-2015, 09:15 AM
essyou35

A computer radio is NOT a crutch, nor are trims. They don't do anything unless I tell them to by moving trims OR sticks. A gyro is making corrections to the flight on your behalf without your intervention, and it is flying for you on some level. Especially in a cross wind. Keep in mine many of these gyros hold position making things like knife edges extremely easy.

Del Gato, you just completely contradicted yourself. you say its not flying for you then talk about how it removes all this "work" during a roll.

Andy go have fun, and I will have fun. If you criticize me when I'm not using a gyro neither of us are having fun, and that's my point.
I suspect your smart enough to know if I am not using a gyro my flights wont be perfect and its just the way it is. I am not out there to impress.
BTW your "everyone's doing it" reminds me of the MMA and steroids. I've done quite a bit of MMA fighting and never used steroids but your justification sounds exactly like that LOL. "you have to use them to compete" Gyros = Steroids of RC.

To this:
"How you can perform a nice impressive slow axial roll when you to keep that up elevator all the time?"
You and I are done talking. You're obviously lost. use your Gyros I don't care. please don't respond to me anymore. Thanks!

Keep in mind a Gyro will ruin your skills. Once you have it you wont be able to fly without it, that is my message to the OP.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:37 AM
AndyAndrews

Originally Posted by essyou35
A computer radio is NOT a crutch, nor are trims. They don't do anything unless I tell them to by moving trims OR sticks. A gyro is making corrections to the flight on your behalf without your intervention, and it is flying for you on some level. Especially in a cross wind. Keep in mine many of these gyros hold position making things like knife edges extremely easy.

Del Gato, you just completely contradicted yourself. you say its not flying for you then talk about how it removes all this "work" during a roll.

Andy go have fun, and I will have fun. If you criticize me when I'm not using a gyro neither of us are having fun, and that's my point.
I suspect your smart enough to know if I am not using a gyro my flights wont be perfect and its just the way it is. I am not out there to impress.
BTW your "everyone's doing it" reminds me of the MMA and steroids. I've done quite a bit of MMA fighting and never used steroids but your justification sounds exactly like that LOL. "you have to use them to compete" Gyros = Steroids of RC.

To this:
"How you can perform a nice impressive slow axial roll when you to keep that up elevator all the time?"
You and I are done talking. You're obviously lost. use your Gyros I don't care. please don't respond to me anymore. Thanks!

Keep in mind a Gyro will ruin your skills. Once you have it you wont be able to fly without it, that is my message to the OP.
Whoa! I'm not telling anyone to do anything and I'm certainly not criticizing you. I just posted an opinion. I wasn't attacking you at all. Hey it's to each his own. Fly the way that makes you happy!

Let me qualify the "everyone is doing it" comment. The bottom line is that you put yourself and your team at a disadvantage in competition if the competition allows everyone to use gyros. This is especially a factor on windy days. It's not necesarily the outcome some would like it's a simple reality. Not utilizing the tools that are available to your competitors, especially when that tool is authorized for use, is simply being naive to the situation at hand. Comparing gyros to steroids is rediculous. Gyros definetely DO NOT ruin your skills. That is a pretty silly statement.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:50 AM
essyou35

I know you're not telling me what to do, and vice versa.
I guess I'm old school when it comes to competitions, all natural is the only way. Using your brain power. And someone who is truly good doesn't need a gyro and wont be at a disadvantage. I'm not there yet but if I start using gyros I wont ever be. I'm sorry I used you as an example, I mean in general no one should be criticizing anyone who is not using gyros and trying to use skill to fly in adverse conditions. This isn't full scale, my life is not in danger, we are playing with toys and we all seek different forms of satisfaction. criticizing others should not be a form of satisfaction, but unfortunately its running rampant in this hobby.

I do understand though if I had a huge expensive model, especially a twin, I would want to make it the easiest to fly I can to reduce risk. All my jets are cheap and I have had more than 1 jet guy tell me how poor I am and how much I suck.

Anytime you make your jet easier to fly, your skill level goes down over time as you become dependent.. That is an axiom. We can agree to disagree.

BTW I will never once just randomly point out someone's gyro unless they have something to say to me first. I don't care, have fun!
Old 02-09-2015, 09:58 AM
flyinfool1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Dang it, I had been able to fight off the "need/want" for a gyro. But there are some good arguments here.

I remember back when tail gyros first came out for helies, you heard the same crutch argument and the learn to fly arguments. Now it is nearly unheard of to see a heli without a tail gyro. And few heli pilots would know how to fly without one. Now most helies "need" a full 3 axis gyro to fly. I can certainly see airplanes going the same route.

So far I have never flown a gyro in an airplane, but my next build I have been told by many that it does need a gyro on at least the nose gear. I am planning to get the Cortex since it can do nose wheel, twin independent rudders and elevons.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:02 AM
essyou35

I agree with what your saying, but to use the heli example. Does it make sense for someone using a gyro to criticize someone's backwards flying who is not using a gyro? That's the point.

PS I fly a blade 400 without a gyro, and backwards flying is impossible for me. with a gyro I can fly backwards all day long. because it made it easier.

Guys Im out spoken here so I am out. Use your gyros just leave me alone when I'm flying and we'll be good!

Originally Posted by flyinfool1
Dang it, I had been able to fight off the "need/want" for a gyro. But there are some good arguments here.

I remember back when tail gyros first came out for helies, you heard the same crutch argument and the learn to fly arguments. Now it is nearly unheard of to see a heli without a tail gyro. And few heli pilots would know how to fly without one. Now most helies "need" a full 3 axis gyro to fly. I can certainly see airplanes going the same route.

So far I have never flown a gyro in an airplane, but my next build I have been told by many that it does need a gyro on at least the nose gear. I am planning to get the Cortex since it can do nose wheel, twin independent rudders and elevons.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:10 AM
AndyAndrews

I don't have gyros in all of my jets. Here is my list:

BVM Ultra Bandit - igyro
BVM Rafale - Cortex
BVM F86 - Cortex
BVM F80 - no gyro
ACR F-89 - Cortex
Classic Lightning - No gyro
Skymaster F4 - no gyro

Once the A4 is done it will have a gyro. I really have no reason to put one in the Lightning or the F4 as they fly fine without them and I don't compet with those. The UB came with one.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:20 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Well I fly just fine without a gyro. But I find flying with it much more enjoyable. Also not to mention I fly scale jets. When you see a scale model bouncing all around in the wind its clear its a model. With a gyro it helps give it the illusion its real since the flight is allot smoother.

I have found with gyro's their are those that have never tried them and criticize them and then all the rest that love them and use them and would never go back. I have not herd of anyone that has used one and then removed it to fly with nothing. Well accept maybe discowings but hes a very odd individual so he does not count.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:31 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The lamborghini Huracan has a 3 axis gyro managing the stability control system that turns that machine into a faster, safer and more pleasurable to drive supercar.

I bet that nobody will ruin their skills for driving this car, just the opposite! same applies to r/c jets in my opinion.

By the way I use JR gyros and Eagletree Guardian / Bluelight-tech BL-3GRC Iceman 3 axis systems.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-lamborghini-huracan-hero.jpg
Views:	1125
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	2071745  

Last edited by erbroens; 02-09-2015 at 10:45 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.