Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Gyro for jets?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems
View Poll Results: Do you use a gyro? And what kind?
I use igyro?
28.49%
I use a cortex gyro?
33.33%
I use another kind of gyro?
15.59%
I don't use any gyro?
29.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Gyro for jets?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 11:02 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I tried gyro once In 2004...didn't like the feed back so I yanked it...hmmm.. maybe that's the reason my flying skills haven't improved lol.
My opinion

P.S I'm planning on doing basic Imac this year but my EF extra 300 104' is more of a 3d monster than a Imac plane. So can I use a gyro in a imac competition? If the answer is no..why not?

Last edited by basimpsn; 02-10-2015 at 05:18 AM.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:07 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

You should try one of the newer ones in the F-18.. you will love it. In fact this is the model I had the biggest handling improvement from the whole I tried.

Also no more scratches in the missile rails on strong crosswinds. ;-)
Old 02-09-2015, 11:33 AM
basimpsn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by erbroens
You should try one of the newer ones in the F-18.. you will love it. In fact this is the model I had the biggest handling improvement from the whole I tried. Also no more scratches in the missile rails on strong crosswinds. ;-)
One day
Old 02-09-2015, 02:24 PM
JackD
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Some people see gyros in competition as advantage... I see them as equalizers: now a small f86 can compete with a 3m hawk.
Before, I needed to spend 10k extra for the stability advantage, now I only need a 200$ piece of equipment

Regarding brands: I have both Cortex and Igyro. Both fly awesome and feel non intrusive once set correctly (which is absolute personal preference). i prefer Igyro for 3 reasons
1) all servos are powered
2) JR connectors fit without sanding
3) No servo jitter
Bonus reason: 130$ in my pocket!
Old 02-09-2015, 02:32 PM
aquaskiman
My Feedback: (46)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use a gyro on steering only
Old 02-09-2015, 03:13 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

How timely, I was just working on this very subject for my jet column in the May Fly RC

Good stuff!
Old 02-09-2015, 09:55 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JackD
Some people see gyros in competition as advantage... I see them as equalizers: now a small f86 can compete with a 3m hawk.
Before, I needed to spend 10k extra for the stability advantage, now I only need a 200$ piece of equipment

Regarding brands: I have both Cortex and Igyro. Both fly awesome and feel non intrusive once set correctly (which is absolute personal preference). i prefer Igyro for 3 reasons
1) all servos are powered
2) JR connectors fit without sanding
3) No servo jitter
Bonus reason: 130$ in my pocket!
Well said by a giant in the industry. Jack is like the EF Hutton of our hobby. When he speaks people listen.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:46 AM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by essyou35
…...A computer radio is NOT a crutch, nor are trims. They don't do anything unless I tell them to by moving trims OR sticks. A gyro is making corrections to the flight on your behalf without your intervention, and it is flying for you on some level. Especially in a cross wind. Keep in mine many of these gyros hold position making things like knife edges extremely easy.

Del Gato, you just completely contradicted yourself. you say its not flying for you then talk about how it removes all this "work" during a roll………..

E X A C L Y ! If a computer radio then is NOT a crutch ,nor the trims THEN gyros are now a crutch because as you will read in the knife edge example below,
they doing NOTHING MORE than what your radio can already do !!!!Gyro will make knife edge extremely easy as much as your radio! But easyer and more precisely

Radio way for an extremely ease knife edge: is you go in your settings and find the mixes "Rudder to Elevator" and "Rudder to Aileron".
Once you finish dialling in the proper amount of elevator and aileron input ,then you will have remove all the elevator and aileron coupling and on you will just hold rudder on your knife edge!
With out sweating to keep that elevator and aileron required in the first place.

Gyro way for an extremely easy knife edge: It does EXACLY the same job your radio would do: It FINE TUNES the mixes "Rudder to Elevator" and "Rudder to Aileron" for you!!!
In greater precision!!!With out you have to spent many flights to fine tune it in your radio!It does them straight away!
And if something changes…like CG it adopts the new settings instantly!

Gyros are misunderstand because of there weird name i would say.They should be called "MIXING DEVICES"

We first must LEARN what mixes are .I wrote it with capital the word "learn" cause….for the "we know everything we need" guys…….
....so this is the time you need to try openminded and learn something NEW .

Lets LEARN something NEW from an OLD pro guy!! …... ( f**k i hope he won't get pissed off with me i called him old … Sorry Peter : )

Peter GoldsmithAustralian National Champ from '95 until 2000.
During that time he was also a member of the Australian National team for the World Championships making the finals in three of the five Worlds
and was awarded Oceanic Champion three times.
Peter has multiple top-level performances at the Masters and won it in '01.

Peter competed in the Tournament of Champions from 1992 until it’s end in ‘02.
He is currently the JR Team Manager and continues to compete at the very top level. One of the most telling aspects about Peter’s RC career is that he has always flown and competed with his own designs, scratch built, and trimmed based on his 25+ years of experience

--------------------------------
and i quote:

".What if, from the very beginning, you learned to fly RC with the radio upside down?
Then, two years later, someone said you needed to turn it over and fly right side up? It’d probably be pretty tough because you learned all of the habits the wrong way.

Flying a plane that’s not fully trimmed is just about as bad. You get into the habit of correcting for poor flying characteristics and end up chasing the plane around the sky during the whole flight. Then when you move to a new plane you have to start over and learn how to compensate for the new plane’s different set of problems all over again.
Competing in this year’s Don Lowe Masters I was inspired by the raw talent in pilots half my age -- I was honored to place 7[SUP]th[/SUP]! I began thinking about all the help I had received over the years and felt driven to give back to the new pilots of the aerobatic community, as had been done with me many years ago. Earlier in the same year in a discussion with Mike Hurley at this year’s Nats, I shared with him how passionate I am to share my life’s aerobatic knowledge, and he invited me to write something about trimming and mixing.

A properly trimmed model can reduce your workload in an aerobatic sequence by an enormous amount. I judged at the Nationals this year and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I was impressed with the skills, especially in the lower classes, displayed by pilots but noticed most of them trying to fly around a poor trim setup. It drove me crazy to watch! I remember bouncing out of my judging chair and saying to Mike, “boy, I need to help these people!” So here are some thoughts from my own 25 years of experience and involvement with people who shared their thoughts on trimming with me.

First, an observation. There is no such thing as a perfectly trimmed model. Our goal is to reduce our workload in flight when flying sequences. Even if we could get our model perfectly trimmed, we would need perfect flying conditions to benefit from the perfect set-up! "

--------------------------------

...I have the trim chart and the full article of Peters that i consider them to be the bible of our hobby.If you like reading them,feel free to p.m. me about it with your email.

Once you learn what mixing is ONLY THEN you will understand the use of the MIXING DEVICES called "gyros".
Peter explains the hard radio programming way.
A MIXING DEVICE named gyro will ONLY do exactly this radio programming reaching closer to that "perfectly trimmed model".

Now where is my iGyro
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	troy-plane-mistake.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	2071969   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled 2.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	291.2 KB
ID:	2071970  

Last edited by DelGatoGrande; 02-10-2015 at 01:41 AM.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:35 AM
DelGatoGrande

Example …has anyone noticed there tail waging left and right during landing?

Thats called dutch roll effect and can get you in big trouble low and slow.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_roll

No pilot has the rudder and elevator skills to keep up and cure this…. thats why the full size fighters have a MIXING DEVICE "gyro"
If you experience this then you need a gyro.

--------------

…..another example. At my airfield a 10years + modeller is flying a model with a 30 inch prop. And he is complaining that his model is rolling during landing!

The problem is that he is trimming his model full throttle and the aileron trim is to compensate engine torque in full throttle.
The problem is when the rpms fall during landing..the build in aileron trim is not necessary anymore and cause roll!
I point him to the mix in our radios named Throttle to Aileron exact for this problem!

….and he must fine tune this mix every time he change a prop or tune his carb needles …….or he should just install a MIXING DEVICE (gyro)to do it for him every time..

His answer was similar …. "mixes are crutch and i dont use them ."
There is NO WAY someone to understand the need of a MIXING DEVICE(gyro) if he won't understand first what mixes are and what they do.

Last edited by DelGatoGrande; 02-10-2015 at 01:40 AM.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:06 AM
Mike Haddox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with what your saying, but to use the heli example. Does it make sense for someone using a gyro to criticize someone's backwards flying who is not using a gyro? That's the point.

PS I fly a blade 400 without a gyro, and backwards flying is impossible for me. with a gyro I can fly backwards all day long. because it made it easier.

Guys Im out spoken here so I am out. Use your gyros just leave me alone when I'm flying and we'll be good!
Now that that is settled let me share my grilled cheese sandwich recipe with you.

2 pieces wheat bread
2 slices mild cheddar cheese
2 table spoons real butter

Spread real butter on the two pieces wheat bread.
Place one slice of buttered bread with buttered side down on a heated sandwich press.
Place the two slices of cheese on that.
Now place the remaining piece of bread on the cheese with the buttered side up.
Grill until golden brown and cheese has melted.

Serve hot garnished with sweet jalapeno slices.

ENJOY!!!
Old 02-10-2015, 05:43 AM
blainer48
My Feedback: (30)

I think it's always funny reading thing like this. The idea of what we "need" or "must have" always is a loaded question. It always makes me think when I hear guys talking about the hobby and that you have to have this or you're not even in it. It's like the 2.4 radios of today. Guys forget that not so long ago we all had to use 72/FM radios. Not long before that there were no computer radios but guys still made it work and still competed and flew for fun. I fly jets and don't use a gyro and they fly just fine as long as you pay attention to your setup. When I flew giant scale 3D, no gyro. I think the guys who like all this "must have" are the ones making the gyros and banking on us thinking we have to have them or why go to the field. Just my opinion.

Jason
Old 02-10-2015, 05:59 AM
blainer48
My Feedback: (30)

Oh, just wanted to add l am not afraid of all the new stuff in fact some of it is pretty cool considering how far and fast things progress. I just like to go out and fly and have fun because that's what this is suppose to be about. Good fun and good friends.

Jason
Old 02-10-2015, 06:13 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jmho

Last edited by HoundDog; 02-11-2015 at 04:38 AM.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:46 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Saying pilots use gyros as a crutch is a real ignorant statement. Have you ever used one? If not then why comment?

So going by what you say Ali Machinchy is using them as a crutch? Or how about other pilots like Pablo Fernandez,Peter Goldsmith or Jack Diaz? These are some of the best pilots in the world but from what you say they need a crutch?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but don't talk down to people that use them because you don't. Do I need one to fly? Nope I flew my plane 322 flights before I got one. Do I like my plane better with it? 100% yes. I find flying much more enjoyable now and my plane looks allot more scale and since I like scale planes that's what I am going after.

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Watched Andrew Jesky Fly this last week end I'm sure NO gyro Just Talent. When U watch his Vertical Roling Circle or * U under stand why he is F3a US champion. Gyros are for Copters and Quads. Just like Full scale Pilots that reley on their auto Pilot all the time are in DEEP DO DO wen it quits....and when does it quit just when U need it the most. A friend tried a GYRO on his cub hes had for 7 or 8 years cause his Left Thumb wasn't working properly ... Didn't work. Pot some more Right Thrust in the motor and WALLA straight tack offs again. Ya a cub isn't a jet but a GYRO is just a crutch. JMHO
Old 02-10-2015, 12:50 PM
DelGatoGrande

...Watched Andrew Jesky Fly this last week end I'm sure NO gyro Just Talent. …...

Reeeeeeaaaaaly! read post #33 about mixing from an F3A champion .Then you will know if this guy is mixing out his model or not.Gyro is a mixing device NOT an auto pilot.

I perform a rolling loop during my sequence with my aerobatic in AthensFlyingWeek 2014.
I was honoured to be the only modeller invited to fly in this huge airshow with 80.000 spectators to represent our hobby .

I didn't used a gyro either! But it took me over 100 trimming flights to get the mixes in my futaba right just for this model so i can push my flying.
A gyro will take….one flight to get them mixes right.

I am very sorry i have to use a greek word .Ksenophovia .from Kseno = foreign and phovia=fear.

It look like some people will always fear something new.
But for you that you want to learn and improve… search what mixing out a model means! THEN you will know what a MIXING DEVICE will do for you!
Old 02-10-2015, 12:59 PM
DelGatoGrande

...A friend tried a GYRO on his cub hes had for 7 or 8 years cause his Left Thumb wasn't working properly ... Didn't work. Pot some more Right Thrust in the motor and WALLA straight tack offs again. Ya a cub isn't a jet ..

A piper cub and a jet is the same.They fly.

Suggest your friend to look in his radio:

-There is a mix Throttle to Rudder.

-And the throttle to elevator mix if he is experiencing gain or loosing altitude in deferent throttle settings.

-Also a throttle to aileron to compensate the engine torque.

-And rudder to elevator …that might save him on a cross wind

….and if he will get confused…just suggest him the new iGyro
Old 02-10-2015, 07:42 PM
essyou35

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Mike Haddox
Now that that is settled let me share my grilled cheese sandwich recipe with you.

2 pieces wheat bread
2 slices mild cheddar cheese
2 table spoons real butter

Spread real butter on the two pieces wheat bread.
Place one slice of buttered bread with buttered side down on a heated sandwich press.
Place the two slices of cheese on that.
Now place the remaining piece of bread on the cheese with the buttered side up.
Grill until golden brown and cheese has melted.

Serve hot garnished with sweet jalapeno slices.

ENJOY!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	bunnypancake.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	2072168  
Old 02-10-2015, 08:23 PM
MattyMatt
My Feedback: (2)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been flying an AJ Aircraft 73" laser 230z on the new JR Axis, 3 Axis gyro... It's insanely good. I can't wait to get it in my futura.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:30 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty soon U will hook up a computer to your JET, IMAC, Pattern Plane and it will all be a matter of computer programing No Xmitter just your IPHONE then soon just thought control. No skill required just flip the switch and watch it go.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:38 PM
MattyMatt
My Feedback: (2)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

You really have no idea what you are talking about. The gyro doesn't fly the plane. It assists in stability... It takes the twitch out of the plane.

If if you fly jets, you would understand. Jets do not fly like prop airplanes... They are much more susceptible to turbulence at lower speeds than most aerobatic planes.

You can not feel a properly setup gyro system setup.

BTW: gyros were used for several years at the TOC. You know what happened? The guys that won before gyros, were the same that won with them.... And when they took them away... Still they are guys that won. Gyros don't fix bad geometry, or you missing rolling points, or snaps or help the plane roll, nor do they fix your wings level, wind correct, nor do they fix radius changes or matching.

Last edited by MattyMatt; 02-10-2015 at 08:47 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:45 PM
devon.anderson

Default Gyro for jets?

I never used gyro for jets but now I'll try....God save me.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:29 PM
mavrick
My Feedback: (1)

You won't regret it, the knockers or no-all's have probably never used a Gyro as has been said many times it makes flying so much more FUN.
Mav
Old 02-11-2015, 02:19 AM
adrgt

Last week it was the cortex this week its the Igyro!

Last edited by adrgt; 02-11-2015 at 02:24 AM.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:14 AM
essyou35

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

So I am going to buy an Igyro, I mean they don't cost much so why not. I'll put it in my viper jet, and I'll report back here my results.

Cant wait to do knife edges without holding aileron and rudder, its so hard on my thumbs and brain.

I'm going to nail my cross wind landings to then I be sure to give lots of advice how to do it.

My goal is to get a sponsorship. If you cant beat em, join em!

Thanks Guys!
Old 02-11-2015, 09:29 AM
JackD
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So I am going to buy an Igyro, I mean they don't cost much so why not. I'll put it in my viper jet, and I'll report back here my results.

Cant wait to do knife edges without holding aileron and rudder, its so hard on my thumbs and brain.

I'm going to nail my cross wind landings to then I be sure to give lots of advice how to do it.

My goal is to get a sponsorship. If you cant beat em, join em!

Thanks Guys!
Then you will be dissapointed... You need to hold rudder, you need to nail the 90degrees, you still need to hold the ailerons if your p-mixing is not done correctly (if your plane needs it). Landings: you still need to apply rudder and aileron
What the gyro will do: smooth out turbulence, stop dutch roll, lock your ailerons (not continuing rolling after you stop)

Basically, what it does it turn your regular jet into what a pattern plane should be... nothing more, nothing less

Guys, is not rocket science, it is not a panacea, it is just a model improvement tool. Make your plane a better model. You know how much time an money go into a pattern plane? now with a gyro, you can turn a regular plane into a pattern plane

A good example I give: if you have flown an Apprentice S in regular mode: that little trainer will do all the maneuvers in the book!!!! Why? because the gyro makes it behave like a pattern plane! it is amazing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.