Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Gyro for jets?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems
View Poll Results: Do you use a gyro? And what kind?
I use igyro?
28.49%
I use a cortex gyro?
33.33%
I use another kind of gyro?
15.59%
I don't use any gyro?
29.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Gyro for jets?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 09:42 AM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Jack, thank you for your clarification. I cant wait to improve my model not make it easier to fly. My apologies, I thought wing rock on cross winds was the hard part. I also though stopping a roll taking into account how the model behaves was also hard. I see that is the easy stuff and the gyro is only taking the easy stuff away.

I always though the fact a jet flies like a jet is what made it harder, I now realize if I make it fly like a pattern plane it is just a simple thing, and not really making it easier to fly.

I now see the gyro is only, not sure of the word, I want to say helping but that's not allowed, its doing something, but NOT making it easier to fly.

I now understand and cant wait. I think I am going to be a pro. I feel it.

I'll run some test and report back!!! Thanks!!
Old 02-11-2015, 09:44 AM
BarracudaHockey

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Very well said Jack
Old 02-11-2015, 09:50 AM
essyou35

I do think a good use of a gyro Is to make a scale jet look scale in the air. If you fly a light wing loading jet it will get tossed around.

I haven't flown my mig yet but I expect it to be floaty, the gyro may help.

Last edited by essyou35; 02-11-2015 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:13 AM
Joe Westrich
My Feedback: (95)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by essyou35
Jack, thank you for your clarification. I cant wait to improve my model not make it easier to fly. My apologies, I thought wing rock on cross winds was the hard part. I also though stopping a roll taking into account how the model behaves was also hard. I see that is the easy stuff and the gyro is only taking the easy stuff away.

I always though the fact a jet flies like a jet is what made it harder, I now realize if I make it fly like a pattern plane it is just a simple thing, and not really making it easier to fly.

I now see the gyro is only, not sure of the word, I want to say helping but that's not allowed, its doing something, but NOT making it easier to fly.

I now understand and cant wait. I think I am going to be a pro. I feel it.

I'll run some test and report back!!! Thanks!!
For a guy that hates to be critizied.... You sure do a lot of it.
I still can't figure why you are all fired up.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:15 AM
Joe Westrich

delete

Last edited by Joe Westrich; 02-11-2015 at 10:23 AM.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:17 AM
MattyMatt
My Feedback: (2)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Actually.... The JR Axis gyro has a heading lock mode at neutral. And it will hold the plane knife edge hands off. It will hold it in a hover... Mostly.

It it will force the plane to stay where you left it. So if you roll more than 90 on a knife edge pass and let go.... It will hold a crappy looking knife edge. Lol.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:23 AM
essyou35

Im not fired up, just being a smart ass. There is a difference.

I am curious though Joe, what if occasionally you didn't have a perfect landing with a your f-86 sabre of f-16 (if you had one). How serious would you take someone who wants to give you advice who is flying a jet mach or falcon 120 and lands it perfect all the time. I've even had a guy try to show me how its done on a foam habu.

That's my only point. Its lost though.

Originally Posted by Joe Westrich
For a guy that hates to be critizied.... You sure do a lot of it.
I still can't figure why you are all fired up.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:24 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Westrich
Has anyone noticed that the poll doesn't add up... 30.5 + 30.5 + 14.18 + 30.5 = 105.68
Multiple choice poll
Old 02-11-2015, 10:24 AM
MattyMatt

http://www.jramericas.com/234669/JRPX02560/

cheap as well: $220

More details: http://jrpropo.com/english/products/....php?hen=02560
Old 02-11-2015, 10:36 AM
BarracudaHockey

Might want to mention you HAVE to have an S-Bus or X-Bus system to use it if I'm not mistaken.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:00 PM
Joe Westrich

Im not fired up, just being a smart ass. There is a difference.

I am curious though Joe, what if occasionally you didn't have a perfect landing with a your f-86 sabre of f-16 (if you had one). How serious would you take someone who wants to give you advice who is flying a jet mach or falcon 120 and lands it perfect all the time. I've even had a guy try to show me how its done on a foam habu.

That's my only point. Its lost though.
Your point is definitly lost. You have an issue with a few fools at the club and apply that to everyone that is pro gyro on RCU.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:10 PM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The problem I have..even though the support for Gyros in this thread is very high...I really think very few Jet guys at Jet rally will admit to using gyro while pointing fingers at someone else landing without one.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:17 PM
JackD
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Im not fired up, just being a smart ass. .
well, trying to be one. Not sure you are succeeding at it
Old 02-11-2015, 04:00 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JackD
T

A good example I give: if you have flown an Apprentice S in regular mode: that little trainer will do all the maneuvers in the book!!!! Why? because the gyro makes it behave like a pattern plane! it is amazing

What do U mean by Regular mode for Knife edge? I have a few students with the Apprentice S and it's a great Idea. But I don't see where the Safe Tech will help Knife edge. I say this because I can have them fly the pattern with out them having to concentrate on the plane (Just let it alone). If they don't know where U want them to fly they don't learn to fly the plane it's flying them. If they can't put it where it's supposed to be they don't solo. To many so called pilots that if they come close to the runway on landing that's good enough ...NO IT'S NOT.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:19 PM
JackD

Originally Posted by HoundDog

What do U mean by Regular mode for Knife edge? I have a few students with the Apprentice S and it's a great Idea. But I don't see where the Safe Tech will help Knife edge. I say this because I can have them fly the pattern with out them having to concentrate on the plane (Just let it alone). If they don't know where U want them to fly they don't learn to fly the plane it's flying them. If they can't put it where it's supposed to be they don't solo. To many so called pilots that if they come close to the runway on landing that's good enough ...NO IT'S NOT.
By regular mode i mean the expert mode (no stabilization). THe gyro will take care of all the couplings, and you can do knife edges, inverted, point rolls... everything that a high wing trainer should not do.
You still need to do all the typical inputs of the maneuver... the gyro makes the plane "true"

But guys, no one needs to get a gyro... it is personal preference. but don't dismiss it, or assume it does things that it doesn't, without trying or experimenting first
Old 02-11-2015, 05:42 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JackD
By regular mode i mean the expert mode (no stabilization). THe gyro will take care of all the couplings, and you can do knife edges, inverted, point rolls... everything that a high wing trainer should not do.
You still need to do all the typical inputs of the maneuver... the gyro makes the plane "true"

But guys, no one needs to get a gyro... it is personal preference. but don't dismiss it, or assume it does things that it doesn't, without trying or experimenting first
I'll have to give it a try next time my student brings it out Thanks.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:01 PM
JackD

I'll have to give it a try next time my student brings it out Thanks.
You'll love it! really fun foamy!
Old 02-14-2015, 09:38 AM
kelly vallee

I see that is a market for Gyro's, but the price is to much for a piece of hardware with a good algorithm as software. The hardware should be cheap to produce, but the software is time consuming.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:39 AM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kv. It's the integration that burns the labor in development. But that time yields the results you are seeing in today's systems. And the work for ease of integration brings it home for the regular modelers like me.

I have retrofitted cortex gyros on just about everything I fly. It makes my experience far more enjoyable and my confidence higher especially in poor weather and wind.

My my crosswind flying has become so much better. Thus I fly more which makes me better. And so on and on. it reduced a major barrier for a lot of people in heir models. That's what it does for me. My personal choice was the cortex for that purpose. I liked it so much that I promote it now. Have fun out there guys. We are all in this to have fun. Anything that adds to that experience I am for.

i put one in my big world Kadet and it made it the favorite club trainer. We play pass the buddy transmitter often with new pilots. For example. Even in windy conditions

Last edited by gooseF22; 02-16-2015 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:00 PM
LA jetguy

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Initially I started with the cortex in my Bobcat... now every single jet I own from a Habu 32X to Ultra Bandit has the cortex. Each flight mode has a different gain and it makes flying enjoyable. The ease of setup and reliability right out of the box has made the cortex our number one gyro at our field.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:47 AM
MattyMatt

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Might want to mention you HAVE to have an S-Bus or X-Bus system to use it if I'm not mistaken.

Yes you are correct. That's the beauty, for a large complex plane it is very flexible in setup. For example, I'm building a Exclusiv Modellbau 50% Challenger II, that has 8 aileron servos. No issue for the Axis setup.

I'm not a fan of having the power run through the gyro on larger complex planes.

I've heard great things about the Cortex and the Igyro.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:17 AM
BarracudaHockey

Agreed it's a feature but its also a limitation.

Not saying anything bad about the gyro, but it will save some bashing from folks that order it without fully understanding.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:40 AM
MattyMatt

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Agreed it's a feature but its also a limitation.

Not saying anything bad about the gyro, but it will save some bashing from folks that order it without fully understanding.

I agree that it does limit to Xbus or Sbus systems. Your point is completely valid. Since this is the newest system on the market and from a long time Gyro developer, JR... here are a few points from my perspective.

There are also huge advantages to utilizing this setup for those that can, for example:

-unlimited servo setup as I described above
-can setup as many gains as i have flight modes available. So, on my XG11, i can setup 6 different gyro gains, and mix heading lock vs rate on any of the 3 axis independently.
-I can adjust all the gains independently for each axis and for each flight mode, in flight from the transmitter.

I know a ton of guys flying the Cortex and Igyro, and are happy with them. Here's another alternative for the JR and Futaba users.

Once the 28x gets here (don't flame me), i'll put the axis into my Futura... can't wait.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:49 AM
Bob_B

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

The AXIS is XBus or SBus input. PWM or XBus output only. As far as gains go, your are only limited by the number of Conditions or Flight Modes your Tx offers