Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

spektrum telemetry for xicoy ecu is here

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

spektrum telemetry for xicoy ecu is here

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 08:29 PM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spektrum telemetry for xicoy ecu is here

http://www.xicoy.com/catalog/product...roducts_id=366

I saw this on xicoys website. Looks like the manual hasnt been updated and spektrum needs to update the available alarms.
Has anyone got their hands on one yet?
Old 02-22-2015, 03:35 PM
jws_aces
My Feedback: (33)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would love to have it. I guess I hope DreamWorks brings in to the states. Maybe they will have at FL Jets. I guess it will work Kingtech Xicoy control.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:11 PM
raron455
My Feedback: (38)

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah Todd,, if your reading this get some in stock please, you got one sold to me if you do,,
Old 02-23-2015, 04:49 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2walla
http://www.xicoy.com/catalog/product...roducts_id=366

I saw this on xicoys website. Looks like the manual hasnt been updated and spektrum needs to update the available alarms.
Has anyone got their hands on one yet?
Spektrum just released a new version of Airware and the release notes mentioned that they renamed the JetCat Telemetry item to Turbine. I figured that was a hint that
that there was a new ECU sensor coming out and it looks like Spektrum already has support for it.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:01 AM
Airman98
My Feedback: (9)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Any idea if this will work with JR dmss radios. There is a line that mentions x-bus extension.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:56 AM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Airman98
Any idea if this will work with JR dmss radios. There is a line that mentions x-bus extension.
I was just with Gaspar at his facility in Barcelona pickup up my new turbine about 3 weeks ago, and he said then that he has not had many requests for JR DMSS compatibility at all. He said next to no one around him is using JR, which is why he has not had a chance to play with it and work out the telemetry protocol. JR are also not too keen to release details about it given how new it is to the market and they haven't even released a full suit of sensors themselves! I told him that if I had known this, I would have brought my TX with me and he could have played with it for a few days to work it all out.

So please contact Gaspar and ask him for DMSS compatibility!!! The more people who bug him for it, the more drive there is for him get it working for us JR users. I guess as more 28x's hit the market there might be more requests for it given that turbine pilots tend to like the latest and greatest

Thanks

dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	2075613  
Old 03-28-2015, 06:53 PM
dmattmul

Just ordered 6 direct from Xicoy (The USD to Euro) makes this unit cheaper than the sellers in the US, for my DX-18. Looks pretty easy to set up, will see and I will post later.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:27 AM
Gaspar

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

Many customers are complaining about the lack of an "low fuel" alarm. This is something that is out of my control, the current Spektrum firmware don't allow to set a alarm for the fuel, only for RPM and voltage of the ecu Battery. I have contacted to Spektrum guys, and they told me that probably will be a new software revision by end of the year, but not 100% sure.

I have been thinking in how to overcome this limitation, and I have an idea, but not sure if it will work. The idea is to replace the measure of the ecu voltage by the percentage of fuel in the tank, so 100% fuel will be displayed as 10.0V, 25% fuel as 2,5V, etc. I can do this mod on the firmware of our telemetry adapter, but, as I don't have access to a Spek TX now, before to do the work I need that someone to check if it is possible to set the alarm of voltage to low values (say 1.0V that will mean 10%), if the radio, for example, don't allow to set the alarm to below 5.0V, then this trick will not work.

Comments welcome!

Gaspar
Old 03-30-2015, 09:27 AM
Gaspar

duplicated.

Last edited by Gaspar; 03-30-2015 at 09:28 AM. Reason: duplicated post
Old 03-30-2015, 01:51 PM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gaspar
Hello,

Many customers are complaining about the lack of an "low fuel" alarm. This is something that is out of my control, the current Spektrum firmware don't allow to set a alarm for the fuel, only for RPM and voltage of the ecu Battery. I have contacted to Spektrum guys, and they told me that probably will be a new software revision by end of the year, but not 100% sure.

I have been thinking in how to overcome this limitation, and I have an idea, but not sure if it will work. The idea is to replace the measure of the ecu voltage by the percentage of fuel in the tank, so 100% fuel will be displayed as 10.0V, 25% fuel as 2,5V, etc. I can do this mod on the firmware of our telemetry adapter, but, as I don't have access to a Spek TX now, before to do the work I need that someone to check if it is possible to set the alarm of voltage to low values (say 1.0V that will mean 10%), if the radio, for example, don't allow to set the alarm to below 5.0V, then this trick will not work.

Comments welcome!

Gaspar
Gaspar, I have just checked my DX-18G2 and unfortunately you can only go as low as 6.4v so, you idea will not work.

Mike
Old 03-30-2015, 10:39 PM
Gaspar

Ok, thanks for checking. Then what I can do is to set the low fuel alarm defined in the adapter, and when the fuel be lower than the alarm threshold, then sett the Pack voltage to zero to have the TX signaling an audible alarm. Will be a little more difficult to setup for end user, not sure if it is worth to do, or wait that Spek upgrade the firmware.

Gaspar
Old 03-31-2015, 04:16 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

We're waiting for units here for our jet jocks to be able to test the update. I have the fuel alarm coded, but don't have a means to test right now.

For guys with talking radios the report will be "Bingo fuel."

Andy
Old 03-31-2015, 05:28 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Thanks for the update Andy! Glad you guys are working on it. BTW Very glad the new software changed it from saying jetcat

Originally Posted by AndyKunz
We're waiting for units here for our jet jocks to be able to test the update. I have the fuel alarm coded, but don't have a means to test right now.

Andy
Old 03-31-2015, 05:42 AM
Gaspar

Andy
Ok, perfect, then I leave it as it is.

If you need a unit to test, let me know, will ship one directly to you. But if you have a jetcat one handy, it work the same for testing.

Gaspar
Old 03-31-2015, 06:36 AM
bri6672
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just ordered mine over the weekend, I'm excited to try it out with my DX-18 Gen 2's
Old 03-31-2015, 10:20 AM
AndyKunz

Originally Posted by Gaspar
Ok, perfect, then I leave it as it is.

If you need a unit to test, let me know, will ship one directly to you. But if you have a jetcat one handy, it work the same for testing.

Gaspar
Your sensor provides more information than the JetCat sensor; the second message (with fuel report) was specified after his product was finalized, so I cannot use a JetCat to test. Most of the guys have gone to KingTech now.

Andy
Old 03-31-2015, 11:32 AM
Gaspar

Ok, understood, actually should be very straightforward, the data is already displayed. The "fuel" field always display the available remaining fuel (tested), you just must define an alarm threshold in milliliters to trigger the alarm when the value of the "fuel" field is below this threshold. At power-up the value is set to the full tank capacity defined in the adapter, and automatically decreased while the engine run. No need to inhibit the alarm during startup.

Gaspar

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Telemetrie 010.jpg
Views:	804
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	2085447  
Old 03-31-2015, 11:41 AM
AndyKunz

Yes, all I had to change was the ability to alarm at the low setpoint, and then speak the alarm when active. It should just work, the code was already in place but only needed to be activated.

As soon as we have an opportunity to test, we will.

Andy
Old 04-01-2015, 04:53 PM
smitty1001
My Feedback: (29)

Awesome! Watching closely - so it already works with dx18 right? Just no fuel reporting? You get RPM and ECU batt?
Old 04-02-2015, 12:18 AM
Quandry

Cool. Gaspar + Andy = awesome results
Old 04-02-2015, 05:05 AM
AndyKunz

Originally Posted by smitty1001
Awesome! Watching closely - so it already works with dx18 right? Just no fuel reporting? You get RPM and ECU batt?
You get fuel reporting, but not fuel alarming generated in the transmitter. That's why we renamed the sensor from "JetCat" to "Turbine" with the latest release.

Andy
Old 04-02-2015, 07:52 AM
zonker123
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You get fuel reporting, but not fuel alarming generated in the transmitter. That's why we renamed the sensor from "JetCat" to "Turbine" with the latest release.

Andy
Andy,
I have the DX18 gen 1 that my turbines are currently set up on. I have not updated any of the firmware since I have had this radio (almost three years now and would really would not care too as it is flying everything fine.

I also have a new 18 Gen 2 that I will eventually put the turbines on and use the Gen 1 for my gassers, foamys etc.

My question is I have the new xicoy spectrum module. What, if any thing, do I need to do the TX'S to use the module? Is going to the JET CAT menu all that needs to be done? I am using the module for Jet Central Motors. and have the TM1000 modules on my Spectrum RXs

To me the instructions on the web site cover several TX brands but currently not Spektrum. Or is the unit simply plug and play?

Thanks!
Mike Saleeby

Last edited by zonker123; 04-02-2015 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:01 AM
AndyKunz

I don't have an answer regarding "plug-and-play"-ness of the Xicoy. Gaspar would be better to answer that. From what I see on his web page, there is a Spektrum version of the device, and an other-brands version.

What Gaspar did is use the turbine telemetry messages that our JetCat sensor generates (or eventually will generate) in order to provide the data for the transmitter. If you are using the latest code in your transmitters (highly recommended) then they will show as Turbine instead of JetCat, and the fuel data will be displayed properly (although not generating an alarm). If you are using an older version of code, then you might not see the fuel data. It was a more recent addition to the system.

So, kind of yes, just enabling Turbine telemetry will let you see the data from the Xicoy.

Andy
Old 04-02-2015, 08:56 AM
Gaspar

Just to let you know that the manual has been updated to include Spektrum.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:10 PM
spike5150

Put me down on the JR DMSS request list. By the way, my wife and I love Barcelona.

Jeremy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.