Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Xicoy Electronic C.G. Balancer

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Xicoy Electronic C.G. Balancer

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 04:03 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

Where did you get it from Global?
Old 05-07-2015, 08:03 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Whats the best way to attach the angle sensors to a surface? I used double sided foam tape but it sticks rather aggresively to the model and I don't want to damage the paint trying to get it off.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:27 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

I am going to use tape, simple, easy and will not damage anything. and to Dansy I got mine from Dreamworks, I believe Jose ordered a bunch to sale with global as well. If you need one let me know I can see if he has sold them yet.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:55 PM
HarryC

Originally Posted by FenderBean
I am going to use tape, simple, easy and will not damage anything. and to Dansy I got mine from Dreamworks, I believe Jose ordered a bunch to sale with global as well. If you need one let me know I can see if he has sold them yet.
You can't just tape an angle sensor onto a surface as neither face is flat due to bits of electronics proud of the surface so you can't set it flat or be sure there is consistency between two of them. A piece of foam tape on the flat bit of the flatter face lifts the sensor clear of the surface and thus makes the board level with the surface. I think what I will do is stick it with foam tape to a thin piece of epoxy board a bit wider than the sensor and use something like tamiya masking tape to tape that board to the surface.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:51 PM
FenderBean

I tried it today, the tape idea works for me. I put a digital angle on it and one of my 3D plane throw meters and they all matched up. The whole unit does not need to be on the surface, just inline with the hinge line.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:52 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine came in today. These look really nice!
Old 05-08-2015, 03:56 AM
never-enuff
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyAndrews
Mine came in today. These look really nice!
Mine too.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:16 AM
FenderBean

Since you can store profiles on a mini SD we should start a database to share. Somebody like me that has a sm avanti and f14 could share with someone who gets or if I buy something you have on your card and so on. It's always important to double check things but I think it could help some folks and prevent possible crazy maidens due to wrong cg.

I think within a short time you could have a profile for ever jet out there, then if someone shows up at the field with a new jet and your helping them today are helping you can do a quick check before the point of no return.

Last edited by FenderBean; 05-08-2015 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:42 AM
HarryC

Here's a photo to show what I mean about the angle sensors needing some form of mounting. All 3 are taped down next to one another on a very flat sheet of epoxy glass board and all show different angles because the bits of components that stick out and the curling edges of the heatshrink are slightly different for each sensor so there is no flat reference. That isn't a problem if all you want is to measure travel since you zero them and measure from that. But when you want to use them to set the flaps or elevators etc to the same neutral value in the first place then you do need the sensors to all read the same otherwise your surfaces will be misaligned when the sensors say they are aligned.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20150508_182500.jpg
Views:	1227
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	2094662  
Old 05-08-2015, 10:28 AM
Gaspar

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello Harry,

My reasoning when developing these sensors was that the "zero" is the position where the surface is "flush" with the wing, I mean, you set the, say aileron, to be measured at center, comparing it in respect to the fixed part of the trailing edge, like it would be if the wing would not have a movable surface. Then you stick the sensor over it, set to zero, and from here you measure the deflection up and down in reference of the relative zero you made when the aileron was neutral. Not sure if I explain myself correctly, or I fail to understand your problem. I understand that if you want to measure absolute angles (like the incidence of the whole wing) you need that the sensors share same mechanical error, but in this case my reasoning is that to measure the incidence of a wing, you need to make a gig that embrace the full wing span, and to place the sensor over it, but in this case you can "zero" both sensors over a flat surface so that the measure be exact once the gigs placed on the wings.

Gaspar
Old 05-08-2015, 10:41 AM
FenderBean

Yelp and I only place the flat part on the surface the rest hangs over the edge. From what I can see the only that matters is the line on the sensor is aligned to the hinge line
Old 05-09-2015, 05:24 AM
Dansy

Thanks got mine, with the angle option, another great tool.....
Old 05-09-2015, 06:39 AM
FenderBean

Congrats! Did you get it from Global? ��
Old 05-09-2015, 02:49 PM
Dansy

Congrats! Did you get it from Global? ��
yes I did...
Old 05-09-2015, 04:54 PM
FenderBean

Good deal
Old 05-18-2015, 01:00 AM
Alex48

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Guys,

Here is a short video showing the CG meter and my thoughts on it. Please note I don't sell or distribute this item but there are plenty of places that do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrI5f1p_-Ww Cheers, Alex
Old 05-18-2015, 03:42 AM
BlueBus320
My Feedback: (57)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Alex48 thanks for posting! I never understood why I would need one of these, but now I can see it's usefulness.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:21 AM
FenderBean

im going to try and compile as many profiles as possible, just help folks out some...Love mine and not having any rc buds local to help balance my large jets this is more than paying for itself!!!
Old 06-25-2015, 05:32 PM
AngusMc

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just an FYI, I must of got a bad one, right out of the box one scale was reading heavy, on a jet that I pre-balanced it was reading 15.1lbs on one main and 18.6lbs on the other?? swapped them around and heavy on the other side, glad I didn't stick the off scale on the nose and went flying, everytime I use it I have an accurate 2.5kg weight that I use to check each scale before use.

Once I recalibrated it, it appears to be holding its accuracy, until I'm comfortable I just keep checking

emailed Gaspar but no response

AM
Old 06-25-2015, 06:24 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AngusMc
Just an FYI, I must of got a bad one, right out of the box one scale was reading heavy, on a jet that I pre-balanced it was reading 15.1lbs on one main and 18.6lbs on the other?? swapped them around and heavy on the other side, glad I didn't stick the off scale on the nose and went flying, everytime I use it I have an accurate 2.5kg weight that I use to check each scale before use.

Once I recalibrated it, it appears to be holding its accuracy, until I'm comfortable I just keep checking

AM
Mine did the same thing only it wouldn't hold accuracy after recalibration. I returned it and got a full refund.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:58 PM
Gaspar

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AngusMc

AM
Hi,

I'm not aware of your email, please re-send. If you sent trough our website is possible that it have been lost, the email form was not working well 2-3 weeks ago.

Gaspar
Old 06-26-2015, 12:07 AM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Gaspar,

Please can you tell me why the weight that has to be added or taken away (and cg position) changes all the time when the plane is just sitting on the sensors. This is happening with my unit over a period of 3 to 5 minutes when I am not making any changes at all. Mine changes almost 30 grams from when I first check until 3 to 5 minutes later - and I have not done anything in between?

I also find that my RHS sensor is always showing a higher weight than the LHS. Can this have anything to do with me always putting the LHS, then the NOSE and finally the RHS wheels on the sensors?

Cheers,

Jan
Old 06-27-2015, 06:19 AM
HarryC

Gaspar, I am losing faith in the device, the weight recorded by the sensors depends entirely on where the wheel is positioned. If put at one edge then the other edge the difference is many pounds, the difference is so great that moving the wheel just 2 mm around the centre of the weight sensor changes the weight by a pound, which makes CG calculation useless.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:01 AM
FalconWings

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by HarryC
Gaspar, I am losing faith in the device, the weight recorded by the sensors depends entirely on where the wheel is positioned. If put at one edge then the other edge the difference is many pounds, the difference is so great that moving the wheel just 2 mm around the centre of the weight sensor changes the weight by a pound, which makes CG calculation useless.

We CG'd my buddies BVM Rafale and the first reading was 38.8lbs dry. I noticed that one of the nose wheels was slightly off center, very slightly, subsequent readings came down to ~33lbs. that is 5lbs!!!!Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!!!
I'm also suspisciuos that the model could be that light. I think we are setting up for dissaster.

Not a fan of having to "tare" the sensors every single time either. I'm thinking about returning this POS.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:04 AM
FalconWings

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Also, it showed one side to be 2.2lbs heavier than the other. Really?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.