Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Xicoy Electronic C.G. Balancer

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Xicoy Electronic C.G. Balancer

Old 07-03-2015, 06:31 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyAndrews
Don't waste your time with it. Got to Staples and get three digital postal scales. About $90 each.
Yeah, weight on mains has a 2Kg difference. I evened them out and the CG may be in the ball park but I will balance the old fashioned way tomorrow.
I was going to go with the postal scales to begin with but thought I'd give this thing a try. If the scales worked it would be great...
Old 07-03-2015, 08:10 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

I tried mine out today and if you don't have a level jet the scales will not weigh properly. I had an eight pound weight difference just have one strut on the main compressed about an inch. This product works it just requires some serious prep, heck even the tires must be inflated so they don't deform or you have to make something to transfer the weight to the strut itself.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:36 PM
jivning

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Measurements; distance Main to Nose, Mains to CG and Mains to weight placement point are input into the Digital CG system. The device then calculates the current CG and weight required to correct.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:56 PM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

The machine needs to be prepared and adjusted properly.
We go through a series of tests and calibration on each individual set of scales + controller.
Every scale is calibrated with a precision weight of 5 lbs and checked for drift.

Typical drift is 0.02 lb per 20 minutes.
Maximal weight deviation across the scale plate if 0.08 lb.
Our scale tolerance is 0.02 lb per 5 lb so 0.4% accuracy.

If a scale is not compliant with this, we open it up and adjust it, then proceed with the calibration routine again.
If it still does not calibrate, it is rejected.
We return on average 10% of the scales to Xicoy per batch delivered and spend 30 minutes per set on calibration and adjustment.

As far as I am aware of, not a single customer of ours has complained about accuracy with our procedure.

Note that from SN 101, we have started shipping our CG machine with a Ultimate Jets certificate of calibration.
We also provide every of customers with a specific "advanced procedures manual".
Old 07-03-2015, 10:33 PM
FenderBean

Well that's good to know after wasting money on this product.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:00 AM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FenderBean
I tried mine out today and 1. if you don't have a level jet the scales will not weigh properly. I had an eight pound weight difference just have one strut on the main compressed about an inch. This product works it just requires some serious prep, heck 2. even the tires must be inflated so they don't deform or you have to make something to transfer the weight to the strut itself.
1. That's normal when weighing anything that's not level. The weight distribution will not be even.

2. A deflated tyre will not make any difference to transferring the weight to the strut. The difference will be because of uneven weight distribution as a result of the model not being level.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:11 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Really not sure I understand this comment.. The tool is well designed and if you receive scales that operate properly, works perfectly fine.
I ordered mine from Dreamworks but my scales work as Oli from Ultimate Jets describes in Post #129.

As someone that has used this process for a number of years, I have a number of friends that regularly ask me to help CG their Giant Scale airplanes.
Believe me this thing is WAY more convenient to bring over to a friends shop than 3 large postal scale and a notebook PC.

It sounds like some scales that don't work all that well slipped through. If your CG machine doesn't operate properly get it taken care of. It's hardly a waste of money.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:35 AM
drac1

Originally Posted by wfield0455
1. Really not sure I understand this comment.. The tool is well designed and 2. if you receive scales that operate properly, works perfectly fine.
I ordered mine from Dreamworks but my scales work as Oli from Ultimate Jets describes in Post #129.

As someone that has used this process for a number of years, I have a number of friends that regularly ask me to help CG their Giant Scale airplanes.
Believe me this thing is WAY more convenient to bring over to a friends shop than 3 large postal scale and a notebook PC.

It sounds like some scales that don't work all that well slipped through. 3. If your CG machine doesn't operate properly get it taken care of. It's hardly a waste of money.
1. What's not to understand? FenderBean feels he has wasted his money, because what he paid good money for does not work as it should. After reading this thread, I can see why someone would feel this way.

2. Your own key word here is "if". I am very undecided about laying out for this product as it seems there scales are very hit and miss.

3. Have you or anyone else contacted the manufacturer about the scale problem? If so, what was there response?
Old 07-04-2015, 04:48 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by drac1
1. What's not to understand? FenderBean feels he has wasted his money, because what he paid good money for does not work as it should. After reading this thread, I can see why someone would feel this way.

2. Your own key word here is "if". I am very undecided about laying out for this product as it seems there scales are very hit and miss.

3. Have you or anyone else contacted the manufacturer about the scale problem? If so, what was there response?
First of all, I don't have a scale problem so I've never had the slightest reason to contact the manufacturer about it. Also, I'm not the only one having success with this unit. Yes I did use the key word IF because IF the product is useful when working properly it's NOT a waste of money. A broken / defective unit is just that, a broken unit that should be easy enough to get repaired / replaced. To claim a product is a waste of money implies the product is of no value, even when working properly.

I wouldn't be happy about receiving a defective unit either. What I don't understand is whether that is all that was being said or if he felt the unit truly was a "waste of money" working or not.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:24 AM
drac1

Originally Posted by wfield0455
First of all, I don't have a scale problem so I've never had the slightest reason to contact the manufacturer about it. Also, I'm not the only one having success with this unit. Yes I did use the key word IF because IF the product is useful when working properly it's NOT a waste of money. A broken / defective unit is just that, a broken unit that should be easy enough to get repaired / replaced. To claim a product is a waste of money implies the product is of no value, even when working properly.

I wouldn't be happy about receiving a defective unit either. What I don't understand is whether that is all that was being said or if he felt the unit truly was a "waste of money" working or not.
No need to get so defensive

But yes, looking back now, it's not clear whether he has used it or just going by what he has read.

It appears that those having problems with the scales, haven't contacted the manufacturer/supplier. That should be the first thing to do.

It certainly looks like it would be a very useful tool, that's what got my attention in the first place. If the unit needs calibrating often and the scales are not repeatable, then that would be a PITA.

Still undecided, so will follow with interest and do more research.

Maybe those who are having issues, can respond and say whether they contacted the manufacturer/supplier.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:06 AM
mort78
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by olnico
The machine needs to be prepared and adjusted properly.
We go through a series of tests and calibration on each individual set of scales + controller.
Every scale is calibrated with a precision weight of 5 lbs and checked for drift.

Typical drift is 0.02 lb per 20 minutes.
Maximal weight deviation across the scale plate if 0.08 lb.
Our scale tolerance is 0.02 lb per 5 lb so 0.4% accuracy.

If a scale is not compliant with this, we open it up and adjust it, then proceed with the calibration routine again.
If it still does not calibrate, it is rejected.
We return on average 10% of the scales to Xicoy per batch delivered and spend 30 minutes per set on calibration and adjustment.

As far as I am aware of, not a single customer of ours has complained about accuracy with our procedure.

Note that from SN 101, we have started shipping our CG machine with a Ultimate Jets certificate of calibration.
We also provide every of customers with a specific "advanced procedures manual".
I have a set of these scales. I bought them directly from Xicoy.
I haven't used them yet, as I haven't finished building my jet since I got them. Sending 10% back seems too high in my opinion.
Surprises me that Gaspar is using the scales supplier with that sort of precision. I'm a massive fan of Gaspars gear. I have 3 of his turbines and various other products (Valves etc).
But perhaps Xicoy need to test the scales a little more thoroughly before sending them out. Too many people are whinging about problems. Lets not forget, they aren't exactly cheap.
That said, any time I have EVER had an issue or question about Gaspar's products, he is so great and fast at replying. Amazing service in my experience.
Cheers,
Mort
Old 07-04-2015, 06:53 AM
causeitflies

I will see the distributer in a few days at a jet event.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:02 AM
chris923
My Feedback: (53)

Has anyone used this system on 20-40 lbs taildrager warbirds? Are the sensors and programming package set up for tail dragers?
Old 07-04-2015, 08:33 AM
HarryC

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I have been in contact with Gaspar about the huge errors on mine and he confirms there have been faulty scales not just mine. He is taking steps to put mine right. I think this needs more proactive approach though than waiting for customers to spot the errors, as not everyone might do so, and a false CG is a flight critical item.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:13 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Im with you on this one. This is not what I purchased. Something that requires calibration? screw this......

BTW........I took a perfectly balanced F-16 and CGd it per the Xicoy recommendation, knowing exactly where the desired CG is on the model. it ended up super nose heavy......flew like a pig. I didn't have an issue trying it as I had flown nose heavy F-16s before.

Bottom line, not happy with it.....will very likely return it. I would only use it as is because it seems to yield nose heavy models, which is ok for a first flight. I would never mess around with having to calibrate digital weights.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:39 PM
r 3

I was thinking of getting a set when i am over at Jet Power however reading this post i an not so sure if I will Now. So you guys that have them would you recommend or not? May just spend the £££ at DWs stall on a P20 size Xcalibur instead.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:12 PM
HarryC

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by r 3
I was thinking of getting a set when i am over at Jet Power however reading this post i an not so sure if I will Now. So you guys that have them would you recommend or not? May just spend the £££ at DWs stall on a P20 size Xcalibur instead.
The concept is excellent and I would not want to be without it now ( I also bought the angle sensors) but there are too many faulty weight sensors. At least 2 of my 3, possibly all 3 are faulty. Quality control needs to be seriously improved. If that happened I would thoroughly recommend it.

Last edited by HarryC; 07-04-2015 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:25 PM
FenderBean

I am bringing mine to KY jets and I bought from Dreamworks so if anyone would like to stop by the global tent and sit down and mess with this thing to see if it can be used accurately feel free I dont want to give up on it but if it takes a rocket science to make it work then im deff out LOL. Im staying at the field in camper so I will be there after hours as well. If not im going to talk to Todd about getting a refund, if thats possible. I really need a product like this since my f-14 is pig to cg and the concept is awesome since it can tell you weight, CG and throws. The software needs some work to make it easier, we use a similar thing to weigh the 64s and its a very accurate system when right.

My orig plane was to bring for anyone who wanted to use so we could start collecting measurements for diff models and start a database for folks.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:38 PM
olnico

Originally Posted by HarryC
I think this needs more proactive approach though than waiting for customers to spot the errors, as not everyone might do so, and a false CG is a flight critical item.
This is exactly what I've been doing.
Once again, every single set we sell is thoroughly tested and calibrated before going out to the customer.
Not a single of our customers had to return a scale to us for inaccuracy or drift so far.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:05 PM
chris923
My Feedback: (53)

Once again, every single set we sell is thoroughly tested and calibrated before going out to the customer.
Not a single of our customers had to return a scale to us for inaccuracy or drift so far.

Has anyone used this system on 20-40 lbs taildrager warbirds? Are the sensors and programming package set up for tail dragers?
Old 07-04-2015, 03:36 PM
Sekhet

Originally Posted by chris923
yup! works like a charm, just make sure the plane is level (flight level). I like it so much I just ordered another one for my field gear!
Old 07-04-2015, 03:51 PM
causeitflies

Will you be at KY? Looks like I'll be your first customer to return an inaccurate scale. There was no certificate with mine, ordered in April.
Old 07-04-2015, 04:28 PM
rrembert

How do you know if you have a faulty one?
Old 07-04-2015, 09:25 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by causeitflies
Will you be at KY? Looks like I'll be your first customer to return an inaccurate scale. There was no certificate with mine, ordered in April.

Oooeps, at least when I ask him a question, he did not like, (it was before I got delivery of it) he refunded my money..... I 'll get my popcorn and watch this one play out..
Old 07-05-2015, 01:44 AM
olnico

Originally Posted by causeitflies
Sure Mark. We'll be there.
I'll get Woody to bring the calibration tool and check your set again.
If it does not pass our procedure, we'll swap whatever scale is deficient for a good one.

We started putting a calibration certificate in sets from serial number 101. That's been a couple of weeks from now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.