Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

No Garage!! Where do you build your jets? Pics

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

No Garage!! Where do you build your jets? Pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 05:40 AM
oliveDrab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jannica
But sometimes I think I can hear a bit of sarcasm in his voice when he asks me how many RC-planes I got. But of course, I donīt answer questions like that.
How many airplanes do you have? lol Do you like ABBA btw?
Old 02-28-2015, 07:51 AM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Originally Posted by Vettster
Wow.. i feel sorry for some of you guys. I turned the Finished basement into an all out work shop, and have recently insulated and heated the garage for the Glassing,Sanding and Bondo/Priming. The Little Lady only pops her head in to say "looks Good!" or What color is that one going to be
Just curious, did you "unfinish" the basement or just protect it somehow? Right now I have an unfinished basement which is great except during the few cold months but I might be moving soon and could end up with a finished basement that I might have to preserve while using it as a workshop. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:02 AM
Vettster

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

When I moved in 5 years ago. The basement was all ready finished with ceramic tile and a very nice wooden bar with brass rails and all. I removed some parts like the flip down counter top, but that about it. I then covered the entire bar with cardboard to protect it. The walls are just walls lol If I move they will be repainted anyways, but now they have that perforated board to hang tools on. As for the floor.. I make sure to clean up any spilt glues etc. One of the best investments I have made so far(and my wife loves it) is a portable steam clear. Wow these things really work and do a great job of removing almost anything!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	2.18 MB
ID:	2077359  
Old 02-28-2015, 09:03 AM
Vettster

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

double post........
Old 02-28-2015, 09:35 AM
afterburner

Thanks. Will have to look into the steam cleaner.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:09 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

And the prize for the CUTEST workshop goes too.........

I'm lucky enough to have a big garage to build in but it's not cute!

John.

Name:	workshop.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	586.5 KB
ID:	2077436  
Old 02-28-2015, 04:17 PM
jetmaven

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Building and related dust production is one thing , painting and Clearcoat is quite another .
Old 02-28-2015, 05:25 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

Johnny

I've done that many times, it doesn't make any difference where you build in the apartment the wife will always complain, I know, I've also been thinking on building a Reaction ( will be getting a kit soon ) and face the same situation, my solution at the moment is to take my days off ( 3 days, some times 4 days ) during the week and build when she is at work and the kids are in school, this way it is just the cat and myself in the apartment, she seats on the table that I use to build anyways, I end up building for about six hours every day, I put things away about an hour before I go pick one of my kids ( the other one drives already )

When I build I plan the steps to where I end up completing the structure to the point that it can be moved, like when building the wing, this way the project can be moved out of the way, when the wife returns there is nothing in the way but she knows that I'm building yet another airplane ( her face )

During this time it is prudent to work on her SUV, buy dinner, help kids with homework, wash the dishes and other things this way she will restrain herself from making a not so nice comment, so far it has worked for me.

Good luck and post pictures.

Last edited by CARS II; 02-28-2015 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:48 PM
mullerr

This one is an Airworld Hawk.
Its just a bit too tight to work on in my workshop so it's getting built in my basement kitchen.
I guess it's all about perspective, my wife dose not seam to mind, she once had to deal with Road Race Bikes and parts all over the place, so the jets are much better, just keep the fuel outside,
Richard

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	864.6 KB
ID:	2077550  
Old 03-01-2015, 12:01 AM
Jannica

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

As a woman I get the feeling that some of you guys are just a little bit too soft on your female partners. Why do you apologies for being who you are and for having the passions you have? RC-hobby is legal, you know. There is no universal rule that says that a home has to be organized like a “kid raising factory” or an “entertaining guest facility” or even that the woman has the last word on all domestic matters. If you live there and model aircrafts is your passion you definitely should have some part of your home and your economy organized to meet your modelling needs. I think that living under the same roof should build on equality and mutual respect from both sides.

But then of course Iīm from Sweden.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:07 AM
xgchxt

when its real cold outside I build my right here in the living room however you have to have a very considerate loving tolerant wife..

Last edited by xgchxt; 03-01-2015 at 04:17 AM.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:20 AM
TUMBLER
My Feedback: (13)

Got tired of a messy dusty workshop in the basement, so this year I organized it, painted the floor, and hooked up shop vacs to all tools, including the Dremel which cuts down on virtually all dust

Name:	basement 1.png
Views:	218
Size:	3.07 MB
ID:	2077624   Click image for larger version

Name:	basement 3.png
Views:	146
Size:	2.90 MB
ID:	2077625   Click image for larger version

Name:	basement 4.png
Views:	138
Size:	2.82 MB
ID:	2077626   Click image for larger version

Name:	basement 5.png
Views:	126
Size:	2.71 MB
ID:	2077627  
Old 03-01-2015, 04:33 AM
afterburner

Originally Posted by TUMBLER
Got tired of a messy dusty workshop in the basement, so this year I organized it, painted the floor, and hooked up shop vacs to all tools, including the Dremel which cuts down on virtually all dust
That's just wrong.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:02 AM
TUMBLER

Haha, my wife does the same thing. She actually set up a little area for herself for her drop bys.

Originally Posted by Vettster
The Little Lady only pops her head in to say "looks Good!" or What color is that one going to be

Name:	basement 2.png
Views:	130
Size:	2.86 MB
ID:	2077641  
Old 03-01-2015, 07:15 AM
ChuckC
My Feedback: (24)

Geesh, with a wife like Jannica, I'd be broke...but I'd sure build and fly more. Now, if I could infuse a little of that attitude in the lady...

I'm on my 3rd (?) Year building out my man cave, in the attic above the garage. Biggest problem I've found now that I'm moving in is getting a big plane in and out. Keeping stuff in an operating garage near houston is that the humidity is murder on stuff.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:20 AM
stackerjack

Hi Guys,
Please forgive me for interrupting this thread, but I just do not know how to start a new post.
I've just spent about 20 minutes searching, but all to no avail.
Could someone help please?
Old 03-01-2015, 07:22 AM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

I have a split shop the clean side for the finished models to store and the dirty side for making shavings, dust and chips. A good shop vac is the most important thing to have if you don't have a separate shop from the main home.

Views:	157
Size:	235.6 KB
ID:	2077679   Click image for larger version

Views:	169
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	2077680  
Old 03-01-2015, 07:31 AM
DrScoles

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Tumbler, I think your individual shop vac idea is probably the simplest and saves a lot of ducting. Never thought of that! Do you have it set up that when you power up the sander, the shop vac comes on? I know dewalt makes a vac that has that feature, but its way too big for single tools.

Man, I need to stop whining about my one stall shop in my garage!
Old 03-01-2015, 07:56 AM
TUMBLER

Yeah I have a switch for each tool. You plug the tool and the vacuum into the switch and they go on at the same time. I got them from craftsman because they are only $20 each, but I think they stopped making them. Other companies make them but I think they are around $40-$50 each.

Originally Posted by DrScoles
Tumbler, I think your individual shop vac idea is probably the simplest and saves a lot of ducting. Never thought of that! Do you have it set up that when you power up the sander, the shop vac comes on? I know dewalt makes a vac that has that feature, but its way too big for single tools.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:26 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Are you into turnbinators??
Originally Posted by Ron Stahl
I have a split shop the clean side for the finished models to store and the dirty side for making shavings, dust and chips. A good shop vac is the most important thing to have if you don't have a separate shop from the main home.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:22 AM
TUMBLER

Yeah I have a switch for each tool. You plug the tool and the vacuum into the switch and they go on at the same time. I got them from craftsman because they are only $20 each, but I think they stopped making them. Other companies make them but I think they are around $40-$50 each.

Originally Posted by DrScoles

Old 03-01-2015, 11:58 AM
skippyc5
My Feedback: (244)

I understand why some of you might not have wives. My lovely wife helped me build my room when we moved in 11 years ago. Flat screen tv, stereo,surround sound. I consider myself very blessed!!
Old 03-01-2015, 04:48 PM
Johnny9390
My Feedback: (34)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man I wish I had a garage! Looks like it will have to be in our spare room/office. Convinced the wife to get rid of the Futon and get a table so I can build in there. Luckily I have a door that goes to the patio right across for when I have to sand.. Gonna be a Pain but its better than nothing.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:15 PM
BobbyMcGee

Last edited by BobbyMcGee; 03-01-2015 at 08:21 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:16 PM
BobbyMcGee

Originally Posted by raron455
when its real cold outside I build my right here in the living room however you have to have a very considerate loving tolerant wife..
My ex-wife was not tolerant of my jets/ & planes, and my jets and planes didn't like her either. The scales tipped in favor of the jets and planes when my girlfriend came along ... the wife seemed to be less tolerant of my girlfriend too. So, the wife just had to go because I wasn't going to give up the jets and my girlfriend.

I mean, REALLY! What was she thinking???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.