Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Spektrum Powersafe reciever question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Spektrum Powersafe reciever question

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 07:49 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

Raron

I can't be bothered to read all the posts where people are missing the point (or making good ones!) But to answer your question

Yes, its fine what you are doing, this side of the pond its common
You leave out the 'soft' switch as its not needed. The Sensor switch will power up the Rx just fine.
The system is still redundant as the PB switch is a twin supply redundant switch-with two regulators!
What the switch gives you is what you want it regulates the Rx and servo voltage to 5.9v-perfect for all types and makes of servo.
Yes the Powersafe Rx will take more current than the Sensor switch offers, but in most sports models its plenty. If you need more then use a Gemini II.

PB even do adapter leads that will allow to connect up the Rx/switch-regulator

Dave

Dave
Old 11-08-2016, 09:31 AM
GR7Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave,
I have seen instances where using two batts into separate regulators and then into the two power inputs on a Powersafe RX can cause problems. The Powersafe RX pulls power from the input with the highest voltage, and often two regulators will have enough difference in their outputs that the RX is drawing down one battery/regulator combination more than the other. After a few flights one battery is ready for charging and the other is 80% full.

As for the recent poster looking for an opinion on powerboxes with a powersafe RX, I would suggest leaving the powerbox out as in this case it probably doesn't give you anything that the powersafe rx and DX18 can't give you. Adding the powerbox will add complexity and introduce more points of failure for no benefit.

KennyMac
Old 11-09-2016, 01:00 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

Not with a PB switch, any Sensor Switch, Gemini II or the Baselog has two separate units all the way through and the batteries will not be affected. But you need to select a unit with a Regulator capacity large enough to deal with the load produced.

Powerbox is a product brand and item name. Powerbox switched regulators and Powerbox units are completely different things.

With both model size and servo load dictates what to use.
Anything 2m and above a full Powerbox is a good way to go, either with serial Rx's or Single PWM Rx's.
Where manufactures only offer Powersafe Rx's and normal voltage servos are use a Switch with regulator is the only choice. Spektrum offer Remotes that allow SRS Powerboxes to be used.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:48 AM
THE BEAST

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Agreed

Originally Posted by Len Todd
AR 9110 is not a powerbox guys! It is just a powersafe Rxer with two EC3 battery connections, multiple remote Rxers and a switch.

You do not need the AR 9110's switch to operate the Rxer. You only need it to shut off the Rxer. However, I would not use the switch you selected to replace the OEM's switch. I have had two of these Push Button type switches fail on my AR 9210s. They fail safe. But they do fail.

Secondly, the switch you listed is not rated for your application. There maybe a few switches out there that would suffice. But, the tip off here is the use of the JR connectors and the light gauge wiring. That switch you listed is not rated for the application you describe. I am not sure I have seen a switch with two circuits that meets the necessary current rating.

I would just plug the batteries directly into the Rxer and use the given switch or, ... plug the batteries in directly and not use any switch. Smartfly has a couple setups that accomplishes fail safe switching with multiple batteries. Maybe swap out the OEM's switch with one of Smartfly's Pin & Flag switches?

All this being said, now there is the voltage issue. I solve that by using nothing but High Voltage servos and 2S LiPo. Others like the LiFe option, but they appear to forget that 6.6. volts is greater than the 6 volt max. spec on low voltage servos. It appears to work for most folks. Then again, ... who in our game knows for sure when a jet crashes that the extra .6 of a volt did NOT cause the servo to eventually fail? Rule of thumb from my biz is never operate outside of the design specs. To do so is challenging the safety margin. In industry you learn that fast. In our hobby, apparently not so. But we all are risk takers. Otherwise we would be sitting home watching TV all year long!
agreed