Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

PowerBox iGyro 3E > user report

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

PowerBox iGyro 3E > user report

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 04:25 AM
EDFJim
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you set delta wing type with igyro 3E? I can only find the quick guide online not the full instruction manual.. Thanks in advance
Old 03-27-2015, 04:53 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

Pretty sure its in the terminal software.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:21 AM
EDFJim
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks found it
Old 03-30-2015, 07:20 PM
Levi Wags

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just wondering what set up most people are using.

Ive got the bigger gyro in my other jets and I want to set this one up with the same switch.

I want to have the gyro assigned to a 3 position switch. Position one gyro off, position two gyro on normal mode at +40% gain, switch three I don't care as I don't like heading mode.

My question is, is the gyro gain percentage controlled by the throw on the servo channel? For example should I play around with the sub trim and end point adjustment to create what I'm after, or just do a mix with the gain channel as the master and slave.

I think I'm confusing myself ��

Thanks in advance
Levi
Old 03-31-2015, 03:42 AM
BarracudaHockey

Yes, the servo throw is your gain. When the channel is centered you're at 0 gain. As you move away from center the direction you go (left or right for simplicity) selects the mode and the distance you go from center is the gain, the further left or right the more gain.

You can play with the terminal program and have less gain in normal mode on one position and more in the other for landing.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:30 PM
Levi Wags

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Great stuff thanks Andy.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:37 AM
nipmuck2
My Feedback: (52)

Nice read. I have both and yet to fly either. Bought over the nasty winter we had!!! I don't follow trends so I'll make up my mind myself. I'm sure they have different characteristics but so doesn't the plane it goes in. I'm sure I will love both in the end. The great thing about this hobby is that I have choices.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:44 AM
Mart (Ham)

Well ive decided to give the 3E a try in my carf hawk, I have never used a gyro before apart from one I have on a little foamy, so I will be interested to see the difference, My only problem I've just realised is I'm all ready using all 12 channels on my receiver and haven't got a spare channel for the Gyro
Old 06-02-2015, 11:13 AM
essyou35

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Mart (Ham)
Well ive decided to give the 3E a try in my carf hawk, I have never used a gyro before apart from one I have on a little foamy, so I will be interested to see the difference, My only problem I've just realised is I'm all ready using all 12 channels on my receiver and haven't got a spare channel for the Gyro
I am sure you are away you have to have it. One thing I didn't account for is the switching of gains during flight, or in my case turning the gyro off and on. I now have to decide if this extra task during flying outweighs the risk of cross wind landings which I got the gyro to help with.

Up in the air on that one still.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:24 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Like others said before. I have my gyro on my flap switch. Low gain for normal flight high gain when flaps are down. No extra switches to hit during flight at all. I know you where talking about some twitching problems well that needs to be fixed and then leave the gyro on all the time.

What type of oscillations where you having? Also what axis was it on?
Need to make sure also you have an oscillation and your not just seeing the the slight movements from the gyro making corrections. I think you said before it was on the roll axis right? Was it shaking around violently with each wingtip moving about 4 or 5 inches or just little slight movements?

Originally Posted by essyou35
I am sure you are away you have to have it. One thing I didn't account for is the switching of gains during flight, or in my case turning the gyro off and on. I now have to decide if this extra task during flying outweighs the risk of cross wind landings which I got the gyro to help with.

Up in the air on that one still.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:44 AM
essyou35

A flap switch setting might be the way to go or just leave it on a switch, I want to be able to turn it off completely just in case. I think I can get used to it, I have a jet with thrust vectoring and I have to turn that off an on during flight.

The oscillation, if you can call it that, was only noticeable on a low and medium speed fly by. I am uncertain which axis it would be on, probably aileron and maybe the rudder too. If I had to put a distance on it, I would say the wing tips were going may 1/4" to 1/2" . It was a very fast twitch, not noticeable 50 feet up. I do know the oscillation you speak of, I got it when I turned the gain up too high. Its not doing that.

I am going to back off the in flight gain to 50% of the value I had, and use the value I have for landing. It was really solid on landing.

The rudder was kicking, and the elevator kept the nose attitude where I put it. It landed in a 15 mph cross wind as if it were a 7mph head wind. It was really odd feeling at first because on final turn I get some bouncing and it wasnt doing that. I think it is due to the elevator, I tend to over react on the elevator a lot and the only time it smooths out really is if it stalls. However this time it was they gyro and I had to only concentrate on setting the gear on the runway. No yaw correction, which then needs a roll correction, which eats speed etc etc.. Just had to set it down!

I can see now why you guys like gyros, but in my heart I know my skills will be weaker, but if I don't need them who cares right? Besides for me its about not doing repairs, those nasty variable cross winds have cost me a few sets of flex plates and a crack on top of both wings from the gear hitting it when the plates break.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:49 AM
gunradd

I have a switch that turns the gyro on and off. I leave it on all the time but could turn it off if needed. Then I use a mix on my flaps to adjust gain lower for flaps up and higher for flaps down.

The little movements you are seeing is not due to the gain being to high then and is you gyro making little corrections. In bumpy air this is normal and you might need to increase gain some if you want.

A flap switch setting might be the way to go or just leave it on a switch, I want to be able to turn it off completely just in case. I think I can get used to it, I have a jet with thrust vectoring and I have to turn that off an on during flight.

The oscillation, if you can call it that, was only noticeable on a low and medium speed fly by. I am uncertain which axis it would be on, probably aileron and maybe the rudder too. If I had to put a distance on it, I would say the wing tips were going may 1/4" to 1/2" . It was a very fast twitch, not noticeable 50 feet up. I do know the oscillation you speak of, I got it when I turned the gain up too high. Its not doing that.

I am going to back off the in flight gain to 50% of the value I had, and use the value I have for landing. It was really solid on landing.

The rudder was kicking, and the elevator kept the nose attitude where I put it. It landed in a 15 mph cross wind as if it were a 7mph head wind. It was really odd feeling at first because on final turn I get some bouncing and it wasnt doing that. I think it is due to the elevator, I tend to over react on the elevator a lot and the only time it smooths out really is if it stalls. However this time it was they gyro and I had to only concentrate on setting the gear on the runway. No yaw correction, which then needs a roll correction, which eats speed etc etc.. Just had to set it down!

I can see now why you guys like gyros, but in my heart I know my skills will be weaker, but if I don't need them who cares right? Besides for me its about not doing repairs, those nasty variable cross winds have cost me a few sets of flex plates and a crack on top of both wings from the gear hitting it when the plates break.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:55 AM
essyou35

Thanks, I'll fly it again and take a look. I didn't see it as threatening the integrity of my jet, it was pretty minute. Minute enough that if it is dangerous, we would see a lot of jets crashing. I am also wondering about the refresh rate I can set, its almost like the servos are not reacting fast enough.

I'll try a couple things, thanks for the help.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:25 PM
xcghjh

Does the I gyro not come with instructions? I heard of a few guys not installing them correctly. Hard to setup?

Last edited by xcghjh; 06-03-2015 at 09:31 PM.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:17 AM
BarracudaHockey

It does and they are quite easy to setup
Old 06-04-2015, 05:18 AM
BarracudaHockey

I agree with Kris, its probably just correcting. When you fly past yourself with an AS3X foamie, you can hear the servos going like mad but you don't see the plane moving
Old 06-04-2015, 05:30 AM
essyou35

I found the instructions lacking and the gyro isn't labeled on one side making me guess where the servos plug in. There is also an elevator A and elevator B but only B works on mine.

Somehow for a while I had the elevator moving on both the roll and the pitch axis which I am not even sure how that was possible.

In the end I think I had servos plugged into the wrong port but not sure how the heck I managed to have 1 servo on 2 axis, I am not using any Y cables

If I had to set it up again I think it would go smoother but without help from Ali like some people had, its actually not the most intuitive process.

With that said, its a great product but there is a reason why some have issues and I don't thinks its a lack of intelligence. A few tweeks, a video, or something can help smooth things out a bit.

I was told in another thread the small oscillations probably destroyed my jet and I should check for loose surfaces. I still don't know what the heck is going on and if there is something wrong or not. I'll just have to play with it. But in reality the manufacturer should provide more information to take out the guess work and what to expect during normal operation.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:52 AM
sonicboom

Hi Essyou, I am not an expert but I just put an igyro in my Viperjet. When I plugged it in without assigning a channel to it, that is i plugged it into the servos, igyro then receiver, the gyro did as you described. As soon as I put it on a rotary dial it initialised and worked perfectly. I think when it isn't assigned to a switch you get a combination of heading hold and normal.
Old 06-04-2015, 06:02 AM
gunradd

Are you going to Kentucky this year? If you are I would be willing to help you get it dialed in.

I found the instructions lacking and the gyro isn't labeled on one side making me guess where the servos plug in. There is also an elevator A and elevator B but only B works on mine.

Somehow for a while I had the elevator moving on both the roll and the pitch axis which I am not even sure how that was possible.

In the end I think I had servos plugged into the wrong port but not sure how the heck I managed to have 1 servo on 2 axis, I am not using any Y cables

If I had to set it up again I think it would go smoother but without help from Ali like some people had, its actually not the most intuitive process.

With that said, its a great product but there is a reason why some have issues and I don't thinks its a lack of intelligence. A few tweeks, a video, or something can help smooth things out a bit.

I was told in another thread the small oscillations probably destroyed my jet and I should check for loose surfaces. I still don't know what the heck is going on and if there is something wrong or not. I'll just have to play with it. But in reality the manufacturer should provide more information to take out the guess work and what to expect during normal operation.
Old 06-04-2015, 06:39 AM
essyou35

Hey thanks for that. I am not sure if I will be there or not. Hopefully by then I have it figured out!

Originally Posted by gunradd
Are you going to Kentucky this year? If you are I would be willing to help you get it dialed in.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:05 AM
bri6672
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm surprised your having setup issues, I thought it was quite simple and the labeling on one side is the same on the other so you just line each channel up plug by plug, doing just one channel at a time can prevent errors.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:08 AM
essyou35

I was just giving feedback. Its been established I am dumb ok? I got it working and really like it, just going to check out a small oscillation I have (if that's what it is), I'll see if I can get a vid. I need a few more flights but our weather this year is nothing but rain and wind for months now.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:03 AM
bri6672
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whoa..... I was not trying so say you were dumb, just giving you advise of one channel at a time. If you have a small oscillation I'm sure the gain is just slightly high.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:18 AM
essyou35

I was just offering that as a possible explanation In retrospect it is easy but I fumbled around a little. It didn't help I mounted my gyro in an area it was hard to see, I had to change that. if it were marked, I would not have to be able to see directly above it, I could look from the side.

Thanks for your help, I just need to dial it I guess. I just hope I am not destroying my jet somehow.

BTW, I looked into the 1e for steering, I canto believe it costs half a much, seems like it cost way too much. I am thinking 25% the cost of a full 3 axis gyro would seem appropriate? If you take that 1e into account to get everything setup on a gyro,I think you are at the price of the cortex right?
Old 07-24-2015, 03:58 PM
40GeeBee

I almost returned my iGyro 3e, couldn't get it to respond to the right servos, and than I talked to a friend of mine and we found out that it does not correspond to the picture that is on the instrucutions, I have to rotate that picture 90 degrees and than it is fine, like the unit is cross ways in reference to the instruction sheet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.