Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

DerJet F-35A

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

DerJet F-35A

Old 01-30-2016, 12:06 PM
patrnflyr
My Feedback: (7)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It's hard to believe that the world's premier aircraft has only one model manufacturer and nobody is flying it yet. I would think that Skymaster or BVM or somebody would be punching these planes out like the F-16's. Wonder what's going on?
Old 01-30-2016, 12:35 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 731 Likes on 527 Posts

Probably the main reason is the U/C which is not straightforward! Lots of work going on behind the scenes and news coming.

Its a lesson that announcing stuff before everything is 100% ready is not ideal, but we are very close now.

Dave
Old 01-30-2016, 12:39 PM
Paul0088

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not the world's premier aircraft
Old 01-30-2016, 01:56 PM
patrnflyr

Originally Posted by Paul0088
Not the world's premier aircraft
I agree with that! Let me restate that, "the Supposedly premier aircraft" With all the $$$ spent on the real one, we could have 1000's of F-16's probably
Old 01-30-2016, 02:07 PM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

The world's premier aircraft was killed by the politicians and Yellow Aircraft.....the F-22 Raptor!
Old 01-30-2016, 04:44 PM
Len
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PATRNFLYR: I have been flying the Jet Legend F-35 for several years and there are other manufacturers making F-35's as well. My Der Jet F-35A has flown once, but I am not making any report until I have a few more flights under my belt with it as a few things need some adjustment and it's not fair to report on a single flight. I adjust one thing at a time and make a flight test and then repeat either with a further adjustment or a different adjustment. Normally it takes me a dozen flights or so to check out a new plane, and dial it in. The maiden flight required shop time for the adjustments requisite forcing only the single flight last weekend. We only get to fly Sunday's here in Hawaii at the MCBH which is our only asphalt runway.

The Marines have stood us down this weekend as they have an exercise, so possibly next weekend I will have flight number two and possibly more. For now suffice it to say this Der Jet F-35A is a great plane, and flies well so far. It isn't for the inexperienced modeler though, at least not yet. It will be a simple ARF assembly once the final production version is set though. The Der Jet Factory and its people are the best I have ever worked with and are fully supporting our efforts. Dave's weather in England will allow him into the air with his soon too, and the development will move even faster.

As far as manufacturers are concerned, this is not an easy plane to model with a large lifting body and long gear struts, and the gear doors are difficult too, but as I said there are at least 3 manufacturers out there making them now. BVM is not going to spend the R&D cash to develop anything new at this point given the state of the market, as regards US built models, and their future in it. Anton (Skymaster) would be a likely player, but he is going huge with the F-104 and the larger F-18 and F-16 now as that seems to be what sells best these days. Likai (Skymaster) is only one man and developing the molds and engineering the gear cannot be a short term thing if a model is to succeed and be feasible for the general public. Lastly the F-35 is not a good looking plane on the ground, at least as compared to the F-22 and the teen series fighters...and therefore further limits the market...not unlike the full scale plane! The marketplace for F-22's is also more limited than the teen series aircraft, just count the numbers at any jet event. Just like F-14's until Anton brought his out at Skymaster...

If you absolutely cannot wait a while for the test results on the Der Jet model, feel free to contact Mike Lin at Global Jet Club for a Jet Legend F-35. Personally I feel the Der Jet is light years better than the JL model, but that's just my opinion after owing and flying them both.
Len

Last edited by Len; 01-30-2016 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:50 PM
marquisvns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Len
........ Lastly the F-35 is not a good looking plane on the ground, at least as compared to the F-22 and the teen series fighters.....
That's because F-35 is too advanced for most people
Believe me, the Lightning II will grow on you eventually.

Barry
Old 01-30-2016, 07:40 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I've been flying mine for a while now, by yet a another manufacturer. Its no F-16, but it flies very well and it looks very cool in the air. And in my opinion, so much easier to land even on a crosswind.

I really loved my F-16's until everybody went and got one. It used to be that I always had an F-16 in my garage, now I think I will always have a F-35, But shh! don't tell anyone they actually fly good.

David
Old 01-30-2016, 07:54 PM
Len

Hi Barry, I do love the look and the flight 'feel' of my F-35's, but on the ground most people (though not me) think it looks ungainly... I love it!

David, I totally agree, the F-35 land like a puppy!!! Even the 160 based JL F-35 lands at my home field in Canada on a 30' X 350' asphalt runway without an issue! I am very eager to get the Der Jet unit dialed in and flying regularly too. I think it's even better!
Aloha,
Len
Old 01-30-2016, 09:03 PM
marquisvns

I totally understand Len. I was one of the "most people" who didn't care for it, but for some reason this thing grew on me as it becomes operational and when I said "too advanced" I meant as a weapons platform not RC, look forward of seeing yours in video.

By the way, I've also got one brewing here in California.

Cheers,
Barry
Old 01-30-2016, 09:13 PM
marquisvns

At my builder's:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0502.jpg
Views:	1035
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	2144400   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0501.jpg
Views:	1051
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	2144401  
Old 01-31-2016, 04:02 AM
Peter Coers

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FalconWings
I've been flying mine for a while now, by yet a another manufacturer. Its no F-16, but it flies very well and it looks very cool in the air. And in my opinion, so much easier to land even on a crosswind.

I really loved my F-16's until everybody went and got one. It used to be that I always had an F-16 in my garage, now I think I will always have a F-35, But shh! don't tell anyone they actually fly good.

David
I make one one day :-P
Old 01-31-2016, 04:54 AM
patrnflyr

I contacted Jet Legend and the guy who answered my email, in very broken English, said essentially it'll be 1-2 yrs if ever when they produce the kit again. Something like "don't call us, we'll call you when we are ready". Another company which FW used I couldn't touch. He's a super builder who can reengineer the kit but I'm definitely not that capable... Many of us who fly jets are assemblers nowadays. Nothing wrong with that but we can't tear a kit apart and fix everything wrong with it. I was hoping the Der Jet version was going to be a fast track but appears to be needing some beta testing

Since I'm ex Navy, I was considering doing a Navy version with the colorful CAG tails for visibility. It'd be nice to do the C version anyway because of the larger flying surfaces and beefed up landing gear may make it a better plane overall.

Name:	F-35C_launch_from_USS_Nimitz_(CVN-68)_in_November_2014_(02).jpg
Views:	195
Size:	3.91 MB
ID:	2144460  

Last edited by patrnflyr; 01-31-2016 at 06:35 AM.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:43 AM
FalconWings

you are right about that......as much as I like it I would NEVER recommend anyone buying that model. As a matter of fact mine was a trade for a much smaller model. I'll describe how it behaves all day long, as it may help others with other brands, but I would not tell anyone to go buy it.

I do have DER jets on watch. I think I know what the undercarriage problem is. I had to spend sometime learning it. I'd love to get one of those $900 P-120s with 300 hrs on it and just have fun on Sundays. :-)

I'll state it again......get me a factory demo one and I'll get it in the air. :-) I even offer to make a BVM Quality PDF instruction manual ;-)
(ha ha got to try!!)
Old 03-01-2016, 08:29 PM
Len

Hi Guys,
I flew flights #2 & 3 on Sunday last and this bird flies so well that I turned off the roll axis gyro with zero effect! The airframe is solid and it passed 160 mph without incident. It lands as well as it flies and I was landing without using the flaperons etc. in about 300 feet. Of course I am at sea level so your performance may vary!!! There is no thrust induced pitch nor is there the usual F-35 roll issue with the forward main doors in transition state or even while having the gear down. It flies so well that it could be a jet trainer, well almost anyway...

BTW the brake system is superb, using 3 pads in each wheel and a unique system of actuation! This plane brakes straight on every application right off the bench. I LOVE THIS PLANE in case you couldn't tell. While there have been some issues, as all first run airplanes do, the Der Jet factory has been absolutely AWESOME in their attention and modifications. I cannot applaud the Der Jet company enough. Thanks to Jack Su, Diya, and Dave Wilshire for their unending help along the way!

I will report more as the flights continue and the testing phase enters new areas.
Aloha,
Len
Old 03-02-2016, 04:52 AM
tp777fo

Glad to hear you jet is doing well. Could you please provide some details....weight, motor etc? Video!!! or pix would be nice too
Old 03-02-2016, 05:04 AM
FalconWings

Cool. When will the updates/corrections be incorporated and models available to us mortals?

David
Old 03-05-2016, 02:21 PM
Aero65
My Feedback: (2)

Hi Tom
Here are some pictures from the first flights. I was calling so I just got the taxi back.

Name:	IMG_0513.JPG
Views:	997
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	2151021   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0520.JPG
Views:	1043
Size:	3.00 MB
ID:	2151022  
Old 03-06-2016, 06:19 AM
Len

Hi Tom,
The F-35A weighs about 27.4 Lbs. with a Kingtech 120. It has OODLES of power and will fly nicely on any 100 out there. They 120 was a bit of a shoehorn to fit into the plane, but it did fit. The F-35A has several electronic goodies like a Xicoy Gear Sequencer (Gear PSI via telemetry), Xicoy FC-1 flight computer, Futaba GPS, Airpower AB LED rings (2 concentric), and Xicoy air valves. I use Futaba radio gear and this plane flies on S-Bus with a redundant buss running down each side of the plane, giving me some measure of on board safety.

The Der Jet F-35A flies superbly and lands even better! All F-35's have a bit of an issue with taking off though, assuming they are scale, as the main gear is very far aft of the CG so significant speed is required to rotate. My Jet Legend F-35 at home in Canada is like that a bit too but it's been 'fudged' a bit by JL for easier rotation. The JL unit needs a roll gyro at all times when the gear are extended. I haven't turned off the gyro (same brand and model of gyro BTW) in the Der Jet model yet as I'm just not at that stage in testing. Flight #4 should be today as the weather is looking great! However; I can't 'feel' the roll gyro at all in the Der Jet model and as such I think the gyro is not really necessary, but I will reserve judgement of that until I turn it off in flight.

Larry has full flight video but I have no clue how to post it here, so maybe Duke will do that at some point. I build computers but I can't use 'em! I must add that Der Jet is leaps and bounds ahead of all the other Asian manufacturers of whom we have all become so wary! Der Jet actually LISTENS and responds both factually and promptly to all my concerns!!! Their support has been absolutely fabulous. They have built a great model here and with a few tweaks it will be a top seller in my less than humble opinion. I have to return to Canada in a few weeks and so I will be standing down and Dave Wilshire will be testing his F-35A soon, as his weather is getting better in England. Dave is writing the manual too I believe and he has been an endless source of great information during the build out!

Tom if you have any other questions please feel free to ask away...
Aloha,
Len
Old 03-06-2016, 03:13 PM
tp777fo

Thanks guys.....very nice jet. Keep us posted on the progress!
Old 03-06-2016, 04:33 PM
FalconWings

Can I get one now?
Old 03-07-2016, 11:44 AM
Len

Falcon: Yes from any Der Jet Rep: The two USA reps I know about are Eric Clapp and Barry Hou.

Tom et al, Sorry the winds were forecast for 10 mph down the chute all day, but just after 1pm and having carried the F-35A out to the start area, the winds went berserk and blew thermal gusts from just about all directions, then settled to 30 degrees cross from the most rare angle (7:30 on the clock as we face the flight line, normally 3:00) that we could have. While it necessitated a reverse pattern for a time (landing over the EOD bldg) it then switched again and got light and variable with gusts to 10 mph again from odd directions. Flight #4 needs a reasonable wind but down the runway, as the rotation speed was still too high on the flight #3 and even after removing some nose weight and jacking up the elevator's 'gear down' rate, I still want a headwind for safety reasons. I waited it out until 4 or so then began to disassemble and pack up the van. In any event no flight was done on the F-35A yesterday. I did do some tests on a few of the subsystems and everything was perfect, thanks to Duke. Hopefully next weekend...
Aloha,
Len
Old 03-13-2016, 11:30 PM
Len

My Der Jet F-35A mimicked Humpty Dumpty today.

Len
Old 03-14-2016, 03:19 AM
tp777fo

Bad news....very bad? What happened/
Old 03-15-2016, 02:14 PM
Len

Disassembly has shown the repairs are a simple set of tasks, but maybe a bit time consuming. SinceI am departing back to Canada for the summer next week, they will have to wait for next winter here.
Aloha...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.