Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Rookie Question: Nose Gear Steering Cable

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Rookie Question: Nose Gear Steering Cable

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 12:49 PM
redtail
My Feedback: (15)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Rookie Question: Nose Gear Steering Cable

Hi Guys, I've done the best I can but it is not working for me. I have retied/cut the cable and replaced it three times now and I get the same results. As I tie the braided cable through the eyelets on the Sierra nose gear and then through the coupler to secure the loop, all is well on both the gear and servo ends. But when I push on the gear to simulate retraction, the cable in the eyelets will not return to the spot where I initially secured it. When I lower the gear, I have to push on the cable at the eyelet to get it to set back into its initial place. If I do not reset the cable positioning, the cable is shorted on one side causing the wheel to be turned to the shorted side. Would hate to land with the nose wheel in that position. Should I just cut to the chase and use Kevlar string or should I drill out and enlarge the holes in the steering arm on the nose gear to allow the braided cable to move about better and settle pointing toward the servo and not to the side or top of the fuse? Need your wisdom and advice guys. Hope I explained my problem clearly. Many thanks for any help. Chic
Old 03-15-2015, 01:53 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Chic,

I think I know what you are saying - the cable kind of "flips" up (or down) 90 degrees to where it is when the gear is down, and it won't flip back when the gear drops. Is that right?

This is caused by the cable being tight and friction on the square edges of the hole makes the cable bind and not want to flip back.

I would get a small rat-tail file and round those corners on the inside of the hole in the gear arm off a bit and see if that helps the cable flip back. If the hole in the arm is just too small to accommodate the radius of the cable, you may have to open it up a bit as you suggested.

Personally, I don't like kevlar thread for nose steering - it breaks too often, but sometimes its the only thing that will work.

Bob
Old 03-15-2015, 02:00 PM
Kevin_W
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I despise pull-pull steering because of the inherent problems like this one, but what I have seen a lot of guys do is attach rubber bands or light springs to the cables between the retract and the servo. This keeps the loops (or clevises, if that is what they attach to) taught in the holes of the steering arm, and prevents them from rotating.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:54 PM
redtail

Bob and Kevin, will work the magic with both of your suggestions. Will let you know how it works out. Many thanks. Chic
Old 03-15-2015, 03:45 PM
redtail

Status Report: The two of you may pick up your A&P Certificate. Putting a bevel on the steering arm hole and synching up the cable worked so very well. I crossed the cables to get the same effect as the rubber bands pulling on them and together, it all worked great. So many thanks guys. Chic
Old 03-16-2015, 05:26 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Rubber bands work but they break.the best solution is to use a plastic cable tie and span it between both steering cables. The cable tie will spread the wires out and as the gear retracs. This setup will last years and never wear out.
Vin...
Old 03-16-2015, 06:13 AM
redtail

Vin, I think I understand what you are saying but I'm a visual learner, I can not see how the cable tie will separate/spread the cables. Might you have a picture for this rookie. Many thanks. Chic
Old 03-16-2015, 07:42 AM
mullerr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redtail
Vin, I think I understand what you are saying but I'm a visual learner, I can not see how the cable tie will separate/spread the cables. Might you have a picture for this rookie. Many thanks. Chic
Hello, here are some photos to help, I have found the shrink wrap also helps keep things consistent, on my Flash you can see the wire hoop made to keep lines from tangling on retracts.
Richard
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	928.7 KB
ID:	2081809   Click image for larger version

Views:	380
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	2081810  
Old 03-16-2015, 08:44 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Rob Janiger showed me a trick, you loop the cable through one side of the nose strut tiller arm over to the other side and then back to the servo. The crimp connections are only on the servo side, the rest on the nose gear side is just a loop.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:29 AM
redtail

Richard and Matt, great ideas to put in my "Goodie Bag". Thanks for giving this rookie, some great techniques. Chic
Old 03-22-2015, 04:23 AM
josecilurzo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Include an gyro on nose gear, and, you can make an easy job on run to take off
Enrique Broens make an setup on our Rookie, and, after that, our rookie change 100%!!!
easy to take off, landing very, very, short, and, maneuvers absolutely amazing.

jose
Old 03-22-2015, 04:30 AM
josecilurzo

Views:	579
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	2083131  
Old 03-22-2015, 05:15 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Some pictures of the installation with the gear in the up and down postion would help a lot to us to give suggestions. Usually keeping the cables straight from the servo to the steering arm is the best and simplest way to do it, using steel wire/coils/zip ties or even rubber bands to keep the loose wiring out of trouble.

Jose is very kind! He is having a lot of fun with the rookie in Sao Jose do Rio Preto Imglad the information was useful to him. I will post later the pictures in the visting SJRP thread,

Name:	CAM00763.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	3.18 MB
ID:	2083132  
Old 03-22-2015, 05:28 AM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Put a dab of silicone sealant or RTV where the cable attaches to the steering tiller. Do this with the gear down. Now when the gear is retracted the cable always maintains its orientation relative to the holes in the tiller. The silicone is flexible enough that it doesn't interfere with steering. I do this on all mine and it solves the problem along with rubber bands or a cable tie as shown above.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:29 AM
josecilurzo

Enrique
your info about setup of jets, are an amazing upgrade on our flights, and, improves the attitude of airplane!!����
waiting for you on 14 bis asap

jose
Old 03-22-2015, 06:16 AM
sysiek
My Feedback: (176)

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

This is my favorite setup in all my jets with pull pull system I'm using super fine spring or plastic speed tubing

Name:	20140619_220404.jpg
Views:	764
Size:	3.01 MB
ID:	2083136   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0403.jpg
Views:	896
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	2083137  
Old 03-22-2015, 06:59 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mr_matt
Rob Janiger showed me a trick, you loop the cable through one side of the nose strut tiller arm over to the other side and then back to the servo. The crimp connections are only on the servo side, the rest on the nose gear side is just a loop.
Matt,
I like the idea of simplifying the connections at the nose gear. How do you keep the cable from sliding through the holes on the tiller arm?

Craig
Old 03-22-2015, 09:17 AM
redtail

Wow, what really slick ideas. Will again, add them to my future needs goodie bag. Flexibility of the springs is really clever. Hummm let me see what else I can say to get ideas from ya. Smile. Thanks, keep the ideas coming - on any topic. Chic
Old 03-25-2015, 02:13 AM
melvin
My Feedback: (3)

Hi all
I use 2 small 3/8 diameter key rings and fuel tubing for nitro planes instead of rubber bands to keep my cables pulled to the side of the fuselage when the gear is up! The cable runs thru the key rings. So far have never had a problem. 178 flights on a Ultra Lightning
Old 03-25-2015, 05:38 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CraigG
Matt,
I like the idea of simplifying the connections at the nose gear. How do you keep the cable from sliding through the holes on the tiller arm?

Craig
Friction does it for me...

Once it is cinched it does not move. Maybe that is tiller specific in don't know
Old 03-25-2015, 06:52 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Some more ideas that work pretty good.

1. Once setup, use Scotch Tape looped around the tightened cables to keep them separated. This will prevent them looping and potentially not returning to their original position when the gear is retracted/extended.
2. I use Berkley steel leader line and Berkley couplings for cables, they are black nylon covered and very thin. You can buy it at the fishing goodies section at any Walmart.
3. I don't loop around the coupling anymore, it was just too difficult. I use the smallest radius available on my crimping tool, and allow about 1" of cable to extend past the coupling. I then put heat shrink tubing between the main line and the excess cable.Super strong, super neat.

Takes me about 10 minutes to do steering setup on my F-16s. I typically do the servo ends first, with the clevis as lose as possible (allows tightening after initial rigging). Just make sure to tighten those clevis jam nuts after you are finished.
I can post some pics tonight if interested.

David
Old 03-25-2015, 06:53 AM
redtail

Hey guys, still following this thread. How far do you run your nylon tubing? With regards to the tiller, by creating a slight bevel on the top and bottom of the tiller and then cinching up like Matt stated, the cable is allowed to move but still stay in place. Again, thanks guys. Chic
Old 03-25-2015, 10:04 AM
redtail

Better believe I am interested, especially would like to see how the scotch tape is used. Why doesn't the scotch tape break or wear through? Will add this to my goodie bag for sure. Chic
Old 03-25-2015, 10:43 AM
megafly

Hi David I'm really interest in see your install pics, I'm about to do my Viper Jet 2m nose gear install.
Thank you all
Great Ideas from this topic!

Sergio
Old 03-25-2015, 12:38 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'll post some tonight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.