Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

DX18's still browning out or is this a valid choice for our jets now?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

DX18's still browning out or is this a valid choice for our jets now?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 09:42 PM
Pepperpete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DX18's still browning out or is this a valid choice for our jets now?

Just as the title says. I've currently got a DC-16 from Jeti and while it's a fantastic radio, I just prefer the Spectrum programming. I've been wanting to purchase a DX18 but there was a fair bit of negativity for the connection quality and loss of models. Can those pro's on here who use the DX18 give some comments or should I avoid? Thanks!
Old 03-25-2015, 10:47 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Pulls pin, opens door, throws grenade...

Pretty sure you wont get a real answer on this one but I hope we do. I own a Gen 2 DX18. Its new and plan to use it on a couple large models.
Pretty much have to count on a good solid installation and range checks while running the engine. Basically do everything you can including paying respect to the RC Gods and ghosts of models past and you should be good.
Normally anyone sponsored by HH or JR or Spektrum wont say anything negative about their sponsors products. If its good its great and if its bad its not really talked about or its spun off into another direction like many magazine articles do.

Im confident the radio will be fine. Ive been very happy with my JR and Spektrum products for the last 10yrs and there are many Pros flying very expensive jets with the DX18 G2. G2 prices have come down and the new black edition was just released. You might do well to get one on sale now and try it on some less expensive models you may own. I paid $729 for mine on special promo with an extra Rx. Thats less than I paid for the 11X and I really like that radio.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:46 AM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I have been flying a DX 18 since they first came out.. I forget how many years ago that was, and I certainly forget how many flights I have had on them. It would be conservative to say in the thousands. Spread across hundreds of different airframes. I currently have my original Gen 1 Dx 18 and a pair of Gen 2's ( One in the Uk and one in the USA ) I have no issues with brown outs/ losses. I have had one total loss of an airframe some two years ago, but even at the time. I believed the fault may have been the power system within the plane. I ranged checked the radio on the day using three different airframes. I then flew with it on a smaller model and had no issues so decided to continue to use that radio. With no further problems or doubts.
My Gen 2 is currently flying around 20 or more models. I have no doubts or reservations about doing so. These are my latest models, and probably my most valuable ones. Yes I am a sponsored Horizon Pilot. And Yes I do get my radios through that scheme. But Horizon pay absolutely zero toward my airframe, turbines, builder and painters costs. Which if you work it out. The radio cost is a tiny tiny percentage of. So I guess what I am trying to say is that I do not use the DX18 because I am sponsored to. If I had any doubt in this radio system then it would be economical stupidity for me to carry on using it. I cant even start to think how many radios I would need to get through my sponsored scheme to cover the cost of just my large Airworld F-104 say..
I am not one of these guys that thinks my radio is the greatest and every one else is inferior because they use an inferior system. I am also not one of those that think their radio system is 100% Bullet proof and totally faultless. As far as I am aware. That just does not exists. I just play the numbers game. I look at how many flights I can do using any piece of equipment. Balance that against the issues/ troubles I have whilst making those flights. I factor into this the number of different airframes and installations.. Then make my decision on what radio system I choose to use. I can honestly say that I have never done so much flying with such little trouble as I have done since using my Dx18's. I respect those that choose to use other systems, and wish them all the best. May they have the same sort of flights to issues ratio that I do. I genuinely don't know of any radio system out there today that I would class as junk. They are all good. They are all so much better than we had when I first started flying jets, so thats a good thing.
Oh and just to clear up another myth that I have heard touted about… My radios are not specially selected. My first DX 18 ( Which has done the most flying by far ) came off the shelf from a model shop as I had to buy it and replace the shops stock as mine was supplied after the initial release.
Regards Al
Old 03-26-2015, 03:04 AM
Mark Vandervelden

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

​Hi
I can verify that Als 1st DX18 did indeed come straight off the self of his own shop as I had been waiting for its realise and been chatting with Al at length in the proceeding weeks then when they arrived had one off him from that same very first batch. Now its fair to say Ali has had as far as we know no problems associated with the DX18 and I for one trust him at his word, lets face it if he had had issues it would be all over the forums like wildfire. "HOWEVER" the DX18 Tx I received "DID" have major issues. Here are some posts I made on this forum at that time back in 2013ish.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hi, The DX18 is very versatile and very easy to use, feels good to hold, runs for hours on one charge and is cheap. Down side is despite using DMS2 and DMSX since the day it came over thousands of flights and not a single problem that could not be accounted for. Now with the DX18 in just three months and with some of the same airframes I had three lockouts or should I say erratic prolonged "glitches" on three different airframes all out of my control with no fail safe and three complete loses of airframes all with the same symptoms ending up costing thousands. I am now back with JR equipment since January and have flown virtually every weekend, again not a single problem. Horizon have brilliant after sale backup and replaced the TX FOC and gave me a FOC Rx but with no explanation, I could not bring myself to use it. Draw your own conclusions. Perhaps some DX18 work and some don't but I am not the first to suffer lock outs with the DX18. I sincerely hope yours is a good one. Sorry Spektrum, I've been a fan since day one but this one let me down big time"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In reply to Jack Dias later on the same thread

"Hi Jack. You are completely correct in what you say and indeed on its first outing I did fly with it in a cheap inexpensive airframe and it worked fine over several flights. Later that first day I committed it to a 30cc Extra that had been flown successfully before on both my DX7, DX8 and JR DSM12. During its second flight with the DX18 I had a almighty "glitch" of full down and could not shut the throttle. After raking through the wreckage and finding that every thing RC wise worked despite being damaged went back to using the Tx on the cheap foam airframe for a few outings to see if I could repeat the problem but it worked with out a hitch. Conclusion was it must have been time for the Rx in the Extra to fail but as that Rx was badly damaged it wasn't likely to be air tested. Over the next few weeks and many flights the Tx was slowly promoted from foam park flyers to bigger airframes and finally when my confidence was restored into my Jets for which it was bought. Around 30-35 flights later in this jet it suddenly exhibited the same symptoms as the Extra from months before. A wild "Glitch" but this time full up and no control of anything else including the throttle which remained at full power right to the ground. I could be seen clearly holding my tx high with the stick back and was completely locked out wile wild aeros at full power were being displayed out of my control . Again after every thing worked on the ground. This airframe had flown many times before faultlessly with other TXs. A full range check was made on the ground with that Rx and one other and found to be in well in excess of the recommended. I then got out my trusty Foamy ACRO WOT and had a test flight over the same area at the fated Jet had just flown to and crashed just 20 minuets earlier. This was a big ask of the small airframe as the jet had been a lot larger and it was 200-250 meters away when the jet had struck the ground so this small airframe was at its limit. No problem so after 3-4 minuets of circuits at that distance I brought the foamy back towards me at about 30 degreas on a steady course at 3/4 throttle at about 150-200ft when "WOW" a full down prolonged glitch and now at full throttle, Tx held high and throttle stick once more held back ( a throw back from years of F3F, F3B, F3J and 27-35meg days) gave no response and the airframe struck the runway. Again every thing worked fine once it was scraped up. Concussion was the Tx was the common factor and had a consistent and intermittent fault that had been repeated on three different RXs and could take weeks, days or just minuets to repeat its self. This was not a Tx I could any longer have confidence in. My R/C installs are often commented by many as being very neat and in fact do many builds for others, so far I have had with this exception 100% success with no other losses to date. I am very careful to learn how to use any components to there full advantage and try never skimp on cost. I try to be pragmatic when I have a problem and will readily accept blame if I cock up. Any mishaps in the past have fortunately had a clear explanation but I feel this was beyond my control and feel very let-down by what promised to be a very good Tx. You asked but I don't feel that there is any other conclusion other than this particular DX18 TX failed and let me down other DX18 seem to be fine. I have used DMS" and DMSX with confidence for years and do not blame in any way this 2.4 setup just this particular TX. I've not had issues before this Tx or since. I will not comment on particular issues that others have had with this TX but have been contacted by others with similar problems with there DX18 TXs, Perhaps they should comment as there not sponsored or sell this product so like me can be candid."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since these posts I have had many contacts from currant and ex DX18 users some good, some very bad and a few with identical problems to the ones I had, My conclusion its a good Tx in concept but at only £400 and with all its top end features must be built on a very tight budget and or lacks quality control.

To quote Clint Eastwood "Go ahead punk do you feel lucky"

I would suggest to dig a little deeper into our pockets and buy a qulatyTx more proportional to your investment in time and money to you're airframes value, at the very least if you are already using DSM2 and feel you can only afford a few hundred pounds go and buy the best DSM2 Tx a second hand JR 12x .

Now in 2015 I can add that just like my pre DX18 days/years with amongst other TXs the JR 12X and now since I stopped using the DX18 I have had zero R/C issues. First new set up after was with a JR XG11 then the XG14 on JRs latest own DMSS, good solid RF link but I became disillusioned with JRs fixation on the X-Bus system to the execution of a more normal install. X-Bus setups are expensive, way more complicated and messy,are ridiculous in all but the most complicated of airframe evan then there necessity is questionable.
I now use the Jeti DC16 which is simply in a different league to everything I've used before.

It is only fair and must add Horizon has one of the best customer services on the planet, they never quibble, If you were to have any problems its sorted out very quickly, in every occasion I've had with them items were replaced with new FOC, usually by retune of post. They replaced my DX18 with a brand new one despite them not identifying a fault and it having been used for months simply because I stated I could never now have confidence in that particular Tx. That replacement Tx was never used by me but sold to a friend "cheap" and with full disclosure.

Last edited by Mark Vandervelden; 03-26-2015 at 05:00 AM.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:46 AM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Mine works.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:09 AM
Mark Vandervelden

I'm sure it dose Len as dose Als, we all roll the dice and some got lucky, I for one and many other have not been so fortunate. Evan the guy that bought my FOC replacement set had trouble with his and gave up on it in less than 6 months.
I liked the DX18, it felt a bit cheap but the "Airwear" and its layout is very good, perhaps the best way to by a DX18 is to buy a used one with a known history? but with months between my failing the first time and the same fault reoccurring is still a worry!!
Old 03-26-2015, 05:12 AM
Mark Vandervelden

I'm sure it dose Len as dose Als, we all roll the dice and some got lucky, I for one and many others have not been so fortunate. Evan the guy that bought my FOC replacement Tx had trouble with his and gave up on it in less than 6 months.
I liked the DX18, it felt a bit cheap but the "Airwear" and its layout is very good, perhaps the best way to by a DX18 is to buy a used one with a known history? but with months between my failing the first time and the same fault reoccurring is still a worry!!
Old 03-26-2015, 06:05 AM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali
I have been flying a DX 18 since they first came out.. I forget how many years ago that was, and I certainly forget how many flights I have had on them. It would be conservative to say in the thousands. Spread across hundreds of different airframes. I currently have my original Gen 1 Dx 18 and a pair of Gen 2's ( One in the Uk and one in the USA ) I have no issues with brown outs/ losses. I have had one total loss of an airframe some two years ago, but even at the time. I believed the fault may have been the power system within the plane. I ranged checked the radio on the day using three different airframes. I then flew with it on a smaller model and had no issues so decided to continue to use that radio. With no further problems or doubts.
My Gen 2 is currently flying around 20 or more models. I have no doubts or reservations about doing so. These are my latest models, and probably my most valuable ones. Yes I am a sponsored Horizon Pilot. And Yes I do get my radios through that scheme. But Horizon pay absolutely zero toward my airframe, turbines, builder and painters costs. Which if you work it out. The radio cost is a tiny tiny percentage of. So I guess what I am trying to say is that I do not use the DX18 because I am sponsored to. If I had any doubt in this radio system then it would be economical stupidity for me to carry on using it. I cant even start to think how many radios I would need to get through my sponsored scheme to cover the cost of just my large Airworld F-104 say..
I am not one of these guys that thinks my radio is the greatest and every one else is inferior because they use an inferior system. I am also not one of those that think their radio system is 100% Bullet proof and totally faultless. As far as I am aware. That just does not exists. I just play the numbers game. I look at how many flights I can do using any piece of equipment. Balance that against the issues/ troubles I have whilst making those flights. I factor into this the number of different airframes and installations.. Then make my decision on what radio system I choose to use. I can honestly say that I have never done so much flying with such little trouble as I have done since using my Dx18's. I respect those that choose to use other systems, and wish them all the best. May they have the same sort of flights to issues ratio that I do. I genuinely don't know of any radio system out there today that I would class as junk. They are all good. They are all so much better than we had when I first started flying jets, so thats a good thing.
Oh and just to clear up another myth that I have heard touted about… My radios are not specially selected. My first DX 18 ( Which has done the most flying by far ) came off the shelf from a model shop as I had to buy it and replace the shops stock as mine was supplied after the initial release.
Regards Al
+++++1 on everything said in this quote. Not just because i'm also a Team member ( which only happened at the end of 2014) but it is all well said and totally honest. I've been in the hobby long enough to know that not everything is perfect, and i have taken this into consideration for the 40+ years i have been doing it.

I have been using the DX18 ever since it was brought out and i am still using the exact same Gen1 radio i bought back then. I have like Ali, flown more flights than i can keep count of and have had absolutely Zero issues with the radio. I also have enough confidence in the system that there have been times i have had 2 of my jets in the air together during noon demo's with myself flying one and another one being flown by Ali or another Team guy that i trust with my planes that i will not be changing anything in the future.

Not once have i ever taken into consideration the what if factor.

Last edited by Greg Wright; 03-26-2015 at 06:11 AM.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:46 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

I am not a spektrum ream member and love my DX18. Matter of fact I love it so much I bought one for my son.

I was a Futaba guy but the lack of programming on the radios drove me back to spektrum. I had a DX7 before and after crashing planes due to the RF board going bad 2 times and another time it got stuck in range check mode I had enough and left spektrum for Futaba. Little over a year ago I switched to the DX18 and have not been happier. Programming is great and I have not even thought about the RF link because its been solid.Not sure how I got by using less then 18 channels now lol. I am using 17 of them on my F22
Old 03-26-2015, 06:52 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

I have a QQ and a G2 and the only issues I have had were self induced.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:03 AM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I made the switch to a Gen 2 DX18 last summer and I couldn't be happier. I was on the other team and I experiencing problems. My flying buddies were all Horizon guys and they never had problems. I started looking at Satellites and antenna diversity as a good thing after a couple of problems with a single receiver.
Many people thought I was crazy for switching, but I have never felt better about making a switch in equipment.

The DX18 doesn't have all the programming flexibility as my last radio. But I haven't found anything that I WANT that I couldn't do.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:09 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by quist
I made the switch to a Gen 2 DX18 last summer and I couldn't be happier. I was on the other team and I experiencing problems. My flying buddies were all Horizon guys and they never had problems. I started looking at Satellites and antenna diversity as a good thing after a couple of problems with a single receiver.
Many people thought I was crazy for switching, but I have never felt better about making a switch in equipment.

The DX18 doesn't have all the programming flexibility as my last radio. But I haven't found anything that I WANT that I couldn't do.
Tony...I never thought you were crazy...just smart

(i have two gen 1 DX-18`s working fine)
Vin...
Old 03-26-2015, 07:17 AM
Quandry

Love my DX18 - works great on my jets and has done for a couple of years.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:32 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I had problems with a Futaba 14MZ and a JR 9X. Their motherboards simply stopped working, leaving me just a blank screen and a dead TX.

After this two incidents (fortunately both happened with the model at ground) I can tell you that there is nothing to worry about the brand the radio you choosed. Any of them work well until they have a problem, like any other equipment. There is not a magical or significant more reliable popular radio brand.

Fortunately this problems are quite rare,and in my opinion is better to focus in the biggest causes of jet crashes wich are pilot proficiency and the assembly skills of the builder and kit manufacturer... often credited to radio glitches, problems, etc..

I am about to buy a DX18... without any concerns. And also I will keep my recently fixed JR 9X too.

Just my humble opinion!
Old 03-26-2015, 10:16 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I am looking at getting one of these as well as I need more channels. I just wish they offered one that CAME with the 12 channel RX. As I will have to by one after the fact to access all of the channels I need. Really not a big issue though. I suppose I would need another RX anyway.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:47 AM
jfetter

Pete,

I've been using the Spektrum DX18 gen 1 for two years now, Rob Lynch, Pablo Fernandez, BVM and all the guys I fly with or watch fly down here and at events use them and I honestly haven't heard of an incident where someone lost a jet from TX failure. Results may vary but from my POV it's been an absolutely great radio, replacing a JR12x with only positives to say about it!

Jack

Originally Posted by Pepperpete
Just as the title says. I've currently got a DC-16 from Jeti and while it's a fantastic radio, I just prefer the Spectrum programming. I've been wanting to purchase a DX18 but there was a fair bit of negativity for the connection quality and loss of models. Can those pro's on here who use the DX18 give some comments or should I avoid? Thanks!

Last edited by jfetter; 03-26-2015 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:50 AM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

I have the Gen 1 DX18, and love it. Easiest radio to program there is, IMHO Any one want a slightly used JR 12x????
Old 03-26-2015, 11:34 AM
madmodelman

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I had one of the first DX18's that came out and still use it regularly, however, it will never get near a jet again, it dumped two jets in two weeks!
HH, changed the rf board and it's been fine since, it worked great for 13 months before failing.
DS 16 in the jets nowadays.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:45 AM
warbird_1

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've heard of several advanced pilots that won't use Spektrum receivers and neither will i . i lost a plane last summer . i'm pretty sure it was radio issues. i just ran out of elevator coming down the backside of a loop. I just bought a 28X. an expensive investment but why fly a 7,000.00 airplane on a 800.00 radio? i sold my perfect 12X because i couldn't buy JR receivers. I've seen or heard time and time again of planes lost . some blame the radio,some blame other things or they just don't know. in all honesty i think i've seen more losses from 2.4 than from 72. i stayed with JR because of the new DMSS system . so in hearing of another Spektrum brown out don't surprise me. it would be interesting to know the details of the setup in the aircraft.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:49 AM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

As has been typical with Spektrum. It is hit and miss. You may have no problems or you may have intermittent problems. I had lots of problems with my Dx8 losing connection for a second, like once every 100 flights.

While I think nearly all radios have someone complaining about them, there are a significant more amount of alleged issues with Spektrum in general that I have read about.

If you do decide to go DX18, I would fly a bunch with the specific RX you want to use with cheaper aircraft before I hooked I up to a jet. Just my .02.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:20 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Originally Posted by essyou35
If you do decide to go DX18, I would fly a bunch with the specific RX you want to use with cheaper aircraft before I hooked I up to a jet. Just my .02.
Good advice for ANY radio brand.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:11 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Keep in mind that there are a WHOLE bunch more Spektrum radios out there than anything else so based on the fact that you usually only hear from folks with problems, one might expect to see more posts about issues. I've seen way too many jet guys flying the DX18's to think that they aren't trusted.

That said; I have a JR 12X that fly's one jet and all my gassers, a DX18QQ that's setup for a 1/5th scale Corsair and a Futaba 18MZ that fly's the Pattern planes, the other jets and my foamies. All three of 'em work just fine. I switched from JR when they broke up with Horizon/Spektrum and there was not a new radio on the horizon (no pun intended) from JR to replace my 12X with it's Spektrum RF deck. The QQ turned out to be just too big for an FOG with short fingers and some arthritis setting in so I went back to Futaba.

Just go hold the various radios and see which one fits your hands best if it comes down to that point in the decision making process. As I said, I didn't like the DX18 all that well, the 18MZ feels pretty damn good but my trusty 12X is still my favorite radio to hold and actually operate.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:36 PM
Gordon W

Brownout has nothing to do with DX18. Brownout is caused by low Rx voltage in the plane. Use a reliable power supply in the plane which doesn't sag much when all the servos are wiggling and you're fine. Spekky telemetry will let you know the lowest voltage the Rx saw in flight. I have it on 4 planes. I've used Spektrum since they first supplied 2.4GHz modules for JR PCM 10X etc, and the offer was if you bought a module they'd let you have two 9-channel AR9000 Rx's for the price of one. That was YEARS ago and I've bought three more AR9000s plus several other Spekky Rx's plus I upgraded to a DX18 from the 10X a couple of years or so ago. And guess what. I'm still using those same 9-channel Rx's in two jets, admittedly small beer being Wren 44 powered but still costing £2.5k ($3.75k) each to put in the air so not exactly peanuts. Never a single brownout either, whether using Powerbox Gemini or Sensor redundant supplies in jets and big gas jobs, or standalone becs or esc/becs in 1kW-2kW electrics.

The first 2.4GHz plane I saw destroyed due to radio failure was a big 12S electric-powered H-9 P-47 with sound system and all the bells and whistles and Futaba FASST shortly after the Futaba 2.4GHz system came available in UK. Go figure.

Gordon
Old 03-26-2015, 02:06 PM
warbird_1

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeeb
Keep in mind that there are a WHOLE bunch more Spektrum radios out there than anything else so based on the fact that you usually only hear from folks with problems, one might expect to see more posts about issues. I've seen way too many jet guys flying the DX18's to think that they aren't trusted.

That said; I have a JR 12X that fly's one jet and all my gassers, a DX18QQ that's setup for a 1/5th scale Corsair and a Futaba 18MZ that fly's the Pattern planes, the other jets and my foamies. All three of 'em work just fine. I switched from JR when they broke up with Horizon/Spektrum and there was not a new radio on the horizon (no pun intended) from JR to replace my 12X with it's Spektrum RF deck. The QQ turned out to be just too big for an FOG with short fingers and some arthritis setting in so I went back to Futaba.

Just go hold the various radios and see which one fits your hands best if it comes down to that point in the decision making process. As I said, I didn't like the DX18 all that well, the 18MZ feels pretty damn good but my trusty 12X is still my favorite radio to hold and actually operate.
the 28X was the replacement to the 12X . as far as more spektrum radios... it's all marketing . A hobby shop will always push what they can get easily and make the most on regardless of the quality. There's alot more spektrum out there because that's what horizon pushes. so having many doesn't make them better it makes things convenient for consumers .
Old 03-26-2015, 03:17 PM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The slow reboot from a (brown out) and multiple satellite remote kept me from ever trying spectrum.

Just my opinion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.