Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

DX18's still browning out or is this a valid choice for our jets now?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

DX18's still browning out or is this a valid choice for our jets now?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 12:22 PM
rcpete347
My Feedback: (251)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sekhet
Before I answer the OP’s question I would like to disagree with Zb/Jeti USA’s statement that, “The Jeti is far more superior to the DX18”.The jeti may have some things that are better than the DX18 but the DX18 has things that are better than the jetti, and no I’m not going to make a list that would be a poor use of space.
I currently own and fly a Futaba 18MZ, a Jeti Duplex DS-16, two Spektrum DX18s (one gen 1 and one gen 2), a JR 9503, a JR 12x, and a JR 28x and I like each and every one of these transmitters for different reasons. There is not one of them that I would call “far more superior”. Each transmitter is matched with the job I need it to do, nothing more.

Now to Pepperpete, I have been using the DX 18 gen 1&2 for quite a while now and have not had any trouble with them at all. If you do a quality install of your radio gear in your aircraft, your problems will be very few to none. Of course this statement applies to just about all of the current offerings today.
Well said
Rcpete
Old 03-27-2015, 12:39 PM
rcpete347

Originally Posted by warbird_1
not for long , the 28X is out and JR can't make them fast enough. mine is made in japan ,not china too
Yes we need people with deep pockets to test these new transmitters and receivers, because they cost so much, they have to work, and don't mind the nucular spillage where their made, it won't hurt you.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:49 PM
smiller

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

not for long , the 28X is out and JR can't make them fast enough. mine is made in japan ,not china too
Ron, you haven't even used the radio yet!! I have used Futaba, JR and Spektrum over the past 30 years. For the last 2 years a DX18 gen 1, I love it, as it is simple to program, works great and is affordable. I can't see spending $2700 on a radio when my $ 760 dollar one does everything I need and more. That being said all these manufacturers make good products and any one of them can have a bad component now and then. It comes down to what suits you.

Scott
Old 03-27-2015, 01:20 PM
jfetter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gunradd
Pete just go to any jet rally and see what everyone is flying. Its DX18 hands down you only see a few other radios on the flight line.
Absolutely true and as Ali said, it isn't in his (or Spektrums') best interest to fly and crash, there's no hidden agenda or hidden defect here...

Jack
Old 03-27-2015, 01:25 PM
jfetter

Yes, for a long time! Many pilots using the DX18 were previous JR 12x users, gladly dropping up to $1295 for that radio, only to find out the DX18 beat it hands down in programming and features for less than $800. You won't find many DX18 users swapping to the crazy priced 28X or even lower priced JR's that aren't backward compatible either! Many, like me, feel JR screwed the pooch (dropped the ball, insert your own analogy here) in the radio market...

Jack
Old 03-27-2015, 01:29 PM
jfetter

Originally Posted by Quandry
I am just setting up a 15ch jet on my DX18 now but I have future plans that will take it to 17ch. If Spektrum release a DX-whatever with more channels I will be glad to move up to it.

DX36 anyone?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DX24 (Post).jpg
Views:	975
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	2084517  
Old 03-27-2015, 04:19 PM
rcpete347

Originally Posted by jfetter
Yes, for a long time! Many pilots using the DX18 were previous JR 12x users, gladly dropping up to $1295 for that radio, only to find out the DX18 beat it hands down in programming and features for less than $800. You won't find many DX18 users swapping to the crazy priced 28X or even lower priced JR's that aren't backward compatible either! Many, like me, feel JR screwed the pooch (dropped the ball, insert your own analogy here) in the radio market...

Jack
It's not just the price, it's all those widgets that you need to make everything come together, what ever happened to keeping it simple, servo, pluged into a receiver, done;.
Rcpete
Old 03-27-2015, 04:40 PM
jfetter

Originally Posted by rcpete347
It's not just the price, it's all those widgets that you need to make everything come together, what ever happened to keeping it simple, servo, pluged into a receiver, done;.
Rcpete
I'm no super user or complicated pilot, I am fairly straight-forward but I can still appreciate 16 mixes, ALL servo channels having speed control (not just flaps or gear), a LiPo in the TX that lasts through an entire event, a flash card to backup and restore models (that 12x had the worst export/import!), a balance feature to quickly match 2 surfaces and being firmware upgradeable. None of those features are cutting edge but all are in the DX18 versus the 12x which was nearly double the cost. Someone said yeah but it was older... Bull! The import/export software was written by a 7th grader or an engineer that never flew a plane. the Spektrum TX's are designed and built by pilots, maybe the single-most important thing Spektrum/Horizon have going for them, pilots making products, it doesn't get any better than that as far as potential for success!

Jack
Old 03-27-2015, 05:13 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Would not be the first time an engineer design something they had no first person experience with! I deal with that every day at my job.

The word on the street is the voice module is going to be programmable. So...having your TX call your maneuvers for you may be in the future. Something I know many would like to have.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:19 PM
jfetter

I can hear mine now... "Really?! You call that a snap?!... I may as well end this for both of us right now!"...

Heheh...
Old 03-27-2015, 05:22 PM
vertical grimmace

Hopefully, you will be able to set the percentage of sarcasm and such. Kinda like the movie Interstellar. You may be able to have a calm voice helping to improve your scores!
Old 03-27-2015, 05:50 PM
Albie1077
My Feedback: (6)

I just did the switch to Jeti from dx18. All my future setup will be jeti ds16 for the time being . Nothing wrong with the dx18 radio its self other than a few satilites go bad, along with the occational bind being lost, & the satilite cable not making good cotact. Things that sould not happen at all. Correct me if im wrong but theres less servo resolution on the expander box.

albert
Old 03-27-2015, 06:33 PM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

Originally Posted by Albie1077
I just did the switch to Jeti from dx18. All my future setup will be jeti ds16 for the time being . Nothing wrong with the dx18 radio its self other than a few satilites go bad, along with the occational bind being lost, & the satilite cable not making good cotact. Things that sould not happen at all. Correct me if im wrong but theres less servo resolution on the expander box.

albert
You are correct. I am betting that they have to come up with a new protocol to get full resolution on all channels. I like my dx18 gen 2. Other than it looks really cheap..
Old 03-27-2015, 06:40 PM
vertical grimmace

They have claimed that the 1st 12 channels are high resolution. The thing that sucks is the radio comes with a 10 channel RX. Why not just include an 18 channel RX? Or at least the 12 channel.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:18 PM
rcpete347

Actually it's 2048 resolution on the first 10 channels on the 9 ch receiver Key Features

• 18 fully-proportional channels
  • Exclusive Stealth Edition aluminum carrying case
  • Exclusive Stealth Edition neck strap
  • SD card pre-loaded with popular Horizon Hobby model setups
  • 250 model memory
  • Voice alerts
  • Wireless trainer link
  • Built-in telemetry with vibe or voice alerts
  • Extensive airplane, helicopter and sailplane programming
  • Throttle start or switch start timer
  • Region settings for global compliance
  • 16 programmable mixes
  • 0.5% mix rate increments
  • Origin mixing
  • Flap delay and elevator compensation
  • 11 airplane wing types
  • 6 airplane tail types
  • 2 canard options (1- and 2-servo) with elevon wing type
  • 5 airplane and heli flight modes
  • Dual rates and expo
  • Active gyro trim
  • 7-point heli throttle curve
  • 7-point heli pitch curve
  • 7-point heli tail curve
  • 6 swashplate types
  • Swashplate timing
  • 5 sailplane wing types
  • 3 sailplane tail types
  • 10 sailplane flight modes
  • Diversity antenna (vertical array with horizontal array in handle)
  • 2600mAh 2S LiPo transmitter battery
  • Global charging system
  • X-Plus™ technology expandability up to 18 channels
  • 11ms frame rate
  • Large LCD screen
  • 5 menu languages: EN, DE, FR, IT and SP
  • 2048 resolution on the first 10 channels
  • Language selectable
  • Includes AR9020 receiver
  • EN328 compatible
[h=3]Key Features on the 12 ch receiver[/h]
  • 12-channel full range receiver
  • Includes one internal and three remote receivers
  • SmartSafe™ failsafe system
  • Flight Log and Telemetry compatible (optional)
  • Patented MultiLink™ receiver technology
  • X-Plus compatible
  • QuickConnect™
  • 2048 Resolution
  • High-speed 11ms operation when used with capable transmitter

Last edited by rcpete347; 03-27-2015 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:20 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by basimpsn
The slow reboot from a (brown out) and multiple satellite remote kept me from ever trying spectrum.

Just my opinion
They fixed the slow reboot five years ago with quick connect. The AR8000 and later receivers operate to low voltage levels similar to other brands. It was only the first series of DSM2 receivers that needed higher minimum voltage and had slower recovery times.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:49 PM
lhatton

Sorry I cant agree on that note. Just last week my buddy had a crash of his goblin 380 heli with DSMX satilites and a skookum 720 with logging.
Skookum showed a loss of signal yet stayed online throughout the crash. Turns out the new BK servos he was using was browning out the satellites from the voltage drops associated with heavy servo cycles. Solved it with a better BEC, but I was surprised to see the DSMX sats be the first to drop out.

Les
Old 03-28-2015, 05:59 PM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by Jeti USA
Jeti already has it, and if you need you can move back and forward using gyros and accelerometers. Tilt left go back, tilt Right go forward with your sequence.

Zb/Jeti USA
That would not be legal in most competitions. Although I am not an IMAC, pattern guy. I fly scale. It is nice to read all of these posts about the DX 18 from the Jet guys. If you can trust it, then pretty much anyone can. The data logging point is an important one. And being that is completely new to me, something I will be looking into and using.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:11 PM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by lhatton
Sorry I cant agree on that note. Just last week my buddy had a crash of his goblin 380 heli with DSMX satilites and a skookum 720 with logging.
Skookum showed a loss of signal yet stayed online throughout the crash. Turns out the new BK servos he was using was browning out the satellites from the voltage drops associated with heavy servo cycles. Solved it with a better BEC, but I was surprised to see the DSMX sats be the first to drop out.

Les
Again, ... an inadequate power source is not the fault of any brand receiver!
Old 03-28-2015, 06:24 PM
lhatton

I agree, but the fact that all the remaining electronics (skookum, castle speed controller) were able to survive the brownout but not the DSMX sats tells me I won't be flying one on anything more than a $100 foamy.

A futaba reciever will stay online to a voltage the servos will stop driving.

And yes I know futaba had heat problems shutdowns a few years ago, but that seems solved now as I thought the brownout problem with the had been with spectrum.

Les
Old 03-28-2015, 06:27 PM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by smiller
Ron, you haven't even used the radio yet!! I have used Futaba, JR and Spektrum over the past 30 years. For the last 2 years a DX18 gen 1, I love it, as it is simple to program, works great and is affordable. I can't see spending $2700 on a radio when my $ 760 dollar one does everything I need and more. That being said all these manufacturers make good products and any one of them can have a bad component now and then. It comes down to what suits you.

Scott
your right scott , it's been sitting on my bench for 2 weeks . i'm still trying to figure out how to turn it on. thanks for clearing that up. Once you own a 12X it's hard to go backwards . i've had jr for over 20 years and futaba before that. cost is irrelevant if one , you like it and two it works good. my all time favorite radio was a 9303 so you can throw the price card out there but it makes no difference. i've be adjusting to the new programing for 2 weeks and the more i dig into it the more amazed i am . I can't understand how someone can criticize something they haven't even seen yet. i'll admit that i do like some of the spek programming and i have played with one a little but it's never been about the cost or programing or anything else... for me it come down to trust and reliability . so i don't care if it cost 800.00 or 8,000.00 if you don't trust it in a model you've spent 2 years building and have spent 8,000.00 on , then why use it. 2,700 is a lot of coin but i'll be darn if i'm forced to use something i don't trust like speck receivers. i've flown 2.4 with JR receivers for a long time without a single issue and would have continued with Dsmx if JR hadn't separated from spektrum. I really like the direction JR has gone and will continue flying JR
Old 03-28-2015, 06:36 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
Who sells these in the U.S.?
Esprit models

http://www.espritmodel.com/

Bob
Old 03-28-2015, 06:37 PM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rcpete347
Rcpete
pete , get back to us when you've had time to use one. i'm telling you , they are amazing . pete , you have some really nice ,high end aircraft .. why should the price bother you? i would think someone with that kind of investment would appreciate the effort that JR has spent on this radio. If the 18 works for you then enjoy it but don't forget about the guys flying a radio like the DX6 saying ,"i'd never spend 800.00 on a radio" . what i'm saying is , everything has a cost. BTW we are having are informal Jet together in july and you and your friends are more than welcome to come down . it's july 18-19. We have an awesome place to fly. WB_1
Old 03-28-2015, 07:42 PM
rcpete347

Originally Posted by rhklenke
Esprit models

http://www.espritmodel.com/

Bob

Will you guys have any [h=1]Jeti Duplex DS-16 Air Force Carbon at Toledo in 2 weeks.[/h]Rcpete
Old 03-29-2015, 12:49 AM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Pretty sure if memory serves JR makes Spektrum for HH, correct me if Im wrong. The product line provides different features and price points for HH. Just like other major brands they make another product line because not everyone likes the primary brand. Oakley for instance makes Dragon eyewear.
I know the menu structure on the lower channel Spektrum models is derived from the JR 9303 menu which was very easy to navigate. The DX18 has some functionality like that from what I could see so far. Ive had mine out of the box twice, not much time to mess with it yet.

My main reasons for the purchase were a) product support b) JR compatibility since I have a lot of equipment c) 18 channels d) built in sequencer e) price $729 with extra free 9ch Rx
I'm disappointed JR 's product line jumps over from the 11X past the teens and into a $2800 28 channel radio. Thats pretty strange and a lapse of customer support. I would have bought a $1000 16-18Ch JR radio if I could but instead Im trying out the DX18.

Until Jeti is more common and proven in the US I have no interest in the system. I have an investment in JR/Spektrum with a perfect track record for 10+ years, amazingly. Plus, Im not a fan of removable switches and more points of failure either on the Tx or in the plane.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.