Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

DX18's still browning out or is this a valid choice for our jets now?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

DX18's still browning out or is this a valid choice for our jets now?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 01:44 AM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro
Pretty sure if memory serves JR makes Spektrum for HH, correct me if Im wrong. The product line provides different features and price points for HH. Just like other major brands they make another product line because not everyone likes the primary brand. Oakley for instance makes Dragon eyewear.
I know the menu structure on the lower channel Spektrum models is derived from the JR 9303 menu which was very easy to navigate. The DX18 has some functionality like that from what I could see so far. Ive had mine out of the box twice, not much time to mess with it yet.

My main reasons for the purchase were a) product support b) JR compatibility since I have a lot of equipment c) 18 channels d) built in sequencer e) price $729 with extra free 9ch Rx
I'm disappointed JR 's product line jumps over from the 11X past the teens and into a $2800 28 channel radio. Thats pretty strange and a lapse of customer support. I would have bought a $1000 16-18Ch JR radio if I could but instead Im trying out the DX18.

Until Jeti is more common and proven in the US I have no interest in the system. I have an investment in JR/Spektrum with a perfect track record for 10+ years, amazingly. Plus, Im not a fan of removable switches and more points of failure either on the Tx or in the plane.
Chris , despite rumors.. JR has never built or manufactured any spektrum brand components or vice versa, they just shared the RF technology. I totally agree on the 14 to 28X jump . Futaba did the same thing on the 18 which was a huge jump from the 14 they have. I looked at the 18 MZ but JR's Aluminum frame,all aluminum gimbals and programing won me over plus it has the best fit to my hands. i would have bought the XG 11 had it not been for the huge battery cover on the back.

Last edited by warbird_1; 03-29-2015 at 03:18 AM.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:06 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rcpete347
Will you guys have any Jeti Duplex DS-16 Air Force Carbon at Toledo in 2 weeks.

Rcpete
Pete, Esprit will be at the show. I have just ordered the new DS-16 Carbon RED from them for pick up in Toledo. They don't usually have inventory for sale at the show so, if you want to buy you need to make arrangements in advance.

I've been watching the Jeti system evolve for over a year, I really like my DX-18G2 but, I think there is no comparison in the build quality, safety and components between the Jeti and the Dx-18. The Jeti sensor capabilities are far ahead of other brands as well. Once I figure out how to program it, I'll be converting all my jets over so, you'll see it a lot this season

Mike
Old 03-29-2015, 12:02 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gunradd
Pete just go to any jet rally and see what everyone is flying. Its DX18 hands down you only see a few other radios on the flight line.

Hi,

That might be true, but I think it's more than safe to say that, like many other 'rally' observations, the popularity of a given brand has as much to do with The Joneses as it does with reliability. In all of RC, we jet guys are the worst for monkey-see-monkey-do with regard to brand choices.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:20 PM
smiller

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by warbird_1
your right scott , it's been sitting on my bench for 2 weeks . i'm still trying to figure out how to turn it on. thanks for clearing that up. Once you own a 12X it's hard to go backwards . i've had jr for over 20 years and futaba before that. cost is irrelevant if one , you like it and two it works good. my all time favorite radio was a 9303 so you can throw the price card out there but it makes no difference. i've be adjusting to the new programing for 2 weeks and the more i dig into it the more amazed i am . I can't understand how someone can criticize something they haven't even seen yet. i'll admit that i do like some of the spek programming and i have played with one a little but it's never been about the cost or programing or anything else... for me it come down to trust and reliability . so i don't care if it cost 800.00 or 8,000.00 if you don't trust it in a model you've spent 2 years building and have spent 8,000.00 on , then why use it. 2,700 is a lot of coin but i'll be darn if i'm forced to use something i don't trust like speck receivers. i've flown 2.4 with JR receivers for a long time without a single issue and would have continued with Dsmx if JR hadn't separated from spektrum. I really like the direction JR has gone and will continue flying JR
Glad I could help Ron The JR dsm2 recievers were Spektrum's design. If you are saying that there is a quality control issue between the JR tagged ones and the Spektrum ones, I don't Know of any proof on that. I have had 2 JR versions and about 12 Spektum one's, no failures on any of them. The brown out issues are the fault of the installer not having the correct power supply or size wiring. Have you lost aircraft to the fault of a Spektrum component? Any mfg. can have a bad part now and then, happens with the full size aircraft electrical parts also. I loved JR also and I love their servos, I did not say the 28X is a bad radio, I am sure it is great! I just am not willing to change out all my recievers again when the 18X and other Spektrum radios I have work great. I would not be afraid of spending $2700 on a radio if I needed too, but I don't. Like I said, It comes down to what suits you.! See ya later,

Scott
Old 03-29-2015, 12:23 PM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by YellowAircraft
Hi,

That might be true, but I think it's more than safe to say that, like many other 'rally' observations, the popularity of a given brand has as much to do with The Joneses as it does with reliability. In all of RC, we jet guys are the worst for monkey-see-monkey-do with regard to brand choices.
So true
Old 03-29-2015, 01:17 PM
rcpete347
My Feedback: (251)

Originally Posted by luv2flyrc
Pete, Esprit will be at the show. I have just ordered the new DS-16 Carbon RED from them for pick up in Toledo. They don't usually have inventory for sale at the show so, if you want to buy you need to make arrangements in advance.

I've been watching the Jeti system evolve for over a year, I really like my DX-18G2 but, I think there is no comparison in the build quality, safety and components between the Jeti and the Dx-18. The Jeti sensor capabilities are far ahead of other brands as well. Once I figure out how to program it, I'll be converting all my jets over so, you'll see it a lot this season

Mike
Mike can you call me at 9058570062, need info
Old 03-29-2015, 03:57 PM
fhollahan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a gen 1 DX-18 and flying 15 models on it for the past 2 years and it has been fine so far.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:05 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeti USA
Probably no, it's hard to sell at the show with almost 14,000 items IN STOCK.
Also you have to deal with local IRS authorities (Sales Tax), almost pointless in today's internet age.

But we bring orders for pickup all the time.

Zb/Jeti USA
Well, the point here may not be that one would be available for purchase, but to hold in your hand. A TX is one of those things you want to be able to feel before purchasing it. One of the problems with only having internet sales. If a TX does not feel right, I will not buy it. If I do not have the ability to feel it before I buy it, then I will most like not.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:12 PM
heyerflyer
My Feedback: (46)

I had a gen 1 Dx 18 and all of a sudden i would have intermittent problems on different airplanes with different receivers. The ailerons would jerk by themselves and this was an intermittent problem. I sent tx back to HH and they found the aileron / elevator gimbal was the culprit. Prior to receiving the tx back from HH, I purchased a gen 2 DX 18. I have lost 3 airplanes in the last 2 months. No control at all at a distance where I should have control.. I have done a range check at low power and found the tx is not working properly. I compared the range with 2 other DX 18's and found the range on my model using the same setup and their TX was far superior to mine. The DX18 version 2 is going back to Horizon. Hope they fix it
Old 03-29-2015, 04:27 PM
fhollahan

Originally Posted by heyerflyer
I had a gen 1 Dx 18 and all of a sudden i would have intermittent problems on different airplanes with different receivers. The ailerons would jerk by themselves and this was an intermittent problem. I sent tx back to HH and they found the aileron / elevator gimbal was the culprit. Prior to receiving the tx back from HH, I purchased a gen 2 DX 18. I have lost 3 airplanes in the last 2 months. No control at all at a distance where I should have control.. I have done a range check at low power and found the tx is not working properly. I compared the range with 2 other DX 18's and found the range on my model using the same setup and their TX was far superior to mine. The DX18 version 2 is going back to Horizon. Hope they fix it
That's scary. I have moved thru the Spektrum radios over the past 5 years from DX-6, to DX-7, and currently a DX-18 and have been fine so far. When introducing the DX-18 I did what a few others on this thread mentioned and spent time on foamies, and then slowly up to my bigger, high investment aircraft including a few jets with the thought that if bugs existed they would rear their head before I had more at risk. I hope it stays stable after hundreds of flights now like the other transmitters. I also stopped updating the firmware at 1.05 since the updates did not seem to add or address anything for me and I am tired of rebinding thru and checking out every plane after an update.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:50 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	finally-truth-in.jpg
Views:	802
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	2085102  
Old 03-29-2015, 09:23 PM
bri6672

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by heyerflyer
So did you range check it with data??? If not how are you supposed to know if the radio is working correctly out of the box.. Data logger is like $20......
Old 03-30-2015, 03:28 AM
basimpsn

Ok " Data logger is like $20 or a IFR ,updating the firmware ms"

How about just turning on your TX and worry about dumb thumbs
Old 03-30-2015, 05:54 AM
bri6672

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by basimpsn
Ok " Data logger is like $20 or a IFR ,updating the firmware ms"

How about just turning on your TX and worry about dumb thumbs
sure, but if you want to make sure things are working perfectly and confirm the best RX orientation then you will want the logger. This is the "I have spent a lot of money on my plane" forum, $20 is a small price to pay to protect the investment..

Last edited by bri6672; 03-30-2015 at 05:57 AM.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:17 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by bri6672
sure, but if you want to make sure things are working perfectly and confirm the best RX orientation then you will want the logger. This is the "I have spent a lot of money on my plane" forum, $20 is a small price to pay to protect the investment..
This has been discussed ad nauseum before, but the problem with Spektrum is that you *have* to do this to get a reliable link, whereas for all of the other 2.4 systems out there (FASST, JR DMSS, Jeti) you don't need to do that. Also, the Spektrum satellites don't really add redundancy because again, you *have* to have them in order to make the system work, so if one fails (as they have been known to do) you loose the link.

This all comes from the fact that the Spektrum systems are based on a receiver that has a signal-to-noise ratio that is 20 dB or so worse than the other systems.

That's not to say that Spektrum systems can't be made to work reliabily, because clearly they can, it just takes more "fiddling" to get it so than the other systems out there.

Bob
Old 03-30-2015, 07:45 AM
basimpsn

Originally Posted by rhklenke
This has been discussed ad nauseum before, but the problem with Spektrum is that you *have* to do this to get a reliable link, whereas for all of the other 2.4 systems out there (FASST, JR DMSS, Jeti) you don't need to do that. Also, the Spektrum satellites don't really add redundancy because again, you *have* to have them in order to make the system work, so if one fails (as they have been known to do) you loose the link.

This all comes from the fact that the Spektrum systems are based on a receiver that has a signal-to-noise ratio that is 20 dB or so worse than the other systems.

That's not to say that Spektrum systems can't be made to work reliabily, because clearly they can, it just takes more "fiddling" to get it so than the other systems out there.

Bob
1+
Old 03-30-2015, 11:00 AM
Tony Iannucelli
My Feedback: (193)

Ever notice some guys never have radio issues of any kind, and some guys always have something going on? You can see it at every flying field. As I get older I'm planting planes at a faster rate than ever, but it's always been my fault, not the radio's. JR here, going all the way back to Circus Hobbies.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:03 AM
Aerocal

Man this thread is all over the board not unike many others. In all the back and forth I only see 2 posts referring to analyzing Flightog data. Use the plug in logger? Are you kidding? That method is as old and outdated as the original DX6. You need to be using telemetry. I would expect that jet guys with that much invested would have this figured out by now. Problems dont generally just appear out of nowhere inflight. They develop gradually. If you use FL telemetry and warnings properly theres no reason why developing problems arent recognized and you get the craft on the ground and sort it before it becomes a total failure. Ive had my share of minor troubles. Remote connections especially due to a problem with the connector cable arent uncommon.
If you lose a remote inflight your connection integrity is going to be compromised. Your going to have signs in the FL data before you have a catastrophic loss of connection. Except in the rarest cases you will have a momentary Hold at the Rx without any noticalble loss of control long before you have an extended Hold that causes a loss of control. If you let your remote cables flop around and/or pull them out of the connector by the wires they are going to fail. Using the term "brownout" to define a signal issue only shows a complete misunderstanding of how the system works.
This stuff has been gone over so many times in the past years its surprising to me that there are still users who havent taken the time to learn how to use it properly.Ive had my share of warnings that told me to get on the ground and find out whats going on before a failure.Since I got my DX8 when it was released and started using telemetry Ive never had a failure that didnt raise an alarm that something wasnt right before a total failure. It does take a little bit of effort to learn how to use it. Both of my DX18s have been good to me.

Zb
It doesnt surprise me at all that you feel the need to poke your head in and try to push your products in a thread that was started about a different brand.
Its not a weenee swingin contest. You are misrepresenting a comparison once again. You also apparently are not aware that Spektrum also does what you describe in your sales pitch and somehow try to elude that you are unique. This is not the truth. Your products are good. I wont dispute that. Pitching sales
based on warping the abilities of any system over another doesnt make points with anyone.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:05 AM
Aerocal

Originally Posted by Tony Iannucelli
Ever notice some guys never have radio issues of any kind, and some guys always have something going on? You can see it at every flying field. As I get older I'm planting planes at a faster rate than ever, but it's always been my fault, not the radio's. JR here, going all the way back to Circus Hobbies.
It is a rather amazing coincidence that seems to repeat itself.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:05 PM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by Aerocal
It is a rather amazing coincidence that seems to repeat itself.
Same goes for engines, bad take offs, bad landings, etc, etc
Old 03-30-2015, 02:46 PM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Telemetry is the only way to go. I use it to find the fringe. See a frame loss and you know your fringe. Fly within the fringe and see a frame loss; it's time to get things checked out. Also, you can use telemetry to test various props in the air, keep an eye on temps, etc. etc. Telemetry is the only way to go with expensive aircraft!
Old 03-30-2015, 03:01 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Most of the thing I have seen on Spektrum radios have to do more with too little power to the receiver than an actual radio issue
Old 03-30-2015, 03:21 PM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Desertlakesflying
Most of the thing I have seen on Spektrum radios have to do more with too little power to the receiver than an actual radio issue
How do you know this? How did you measure the signal strength? This discussion is turning absolutely ridiculous!! You can lead horses to water, ...!
Old 03-30-2015, 04:13 PM
vertical grimmace

Funny how we have the ability to check all of this stuff, which is great, but then you get those that complain that they should not have to. Well, it is nice that you can. This conversation is just going in circles really. Considering the amount of info at our fingertips with these new technologies, it would seem there is no excuse to lose an airplane anymore. As long as you are willing to do the work.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:33 PM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by smiller
Glad I could help Ron The JR dsm2 recievers were Spektrum's design. If you are saying that there is a quality control issue between the JR tagged ones and the Spektrum ones, I don't Know of any proof on that. I have had 2 JR versions and about 12 Spektum one's, no failures on any of them. The brown out issues are the fault of the installer not having the correct power supply or size wiring. Have you lost aircraft to the fault of a Spektrum component? Any mfg. can have a bad part now and then, happens with the full size aircraft electrical parts also. I loved JR also and I love their servos, I did not say the 28X is a bad radio, I am sure it is great! I just am not willing to change out all my recievers again when the 18X and other Spektrum radios I have work great. I would not be afraid of spending $2700 on a radio if I needed too, but I don't. Like I said, It comes down to what suits you.! See ya later,

Scott
Scott,most guys likely won't have issues and yes i believe i lost the old trusty t-master to spektrum. i came over the top of a loop and my elevator went away. it was on the DX5i . For me i came to a crossroad on weather to go spektrum or JR . I've read a lot more losses from spectrum over JR and futaba. so i decided to stay with JR. though spek has some cool stuff there wasn't enough to pull me away from JR. i listened to some pilots that had a lot more knowledge on things that went on behind the scenes, that for the most part helped me make up my mind plus the new direction that JR went as far as xbus and DMSS. I looked real hard at the futaba 18 but liked the 28 better. You know that you and i are pretty meticulous when it comes to setup and using the right equipment for the right job and we leave the rest to fate. Don't mistake my opinion for running down another manufacturer . like i said... i personally don't trust spek if i did, i'd buy one in a minute . It's all trust. that DX6 you bought , i thought was a nice radio with a good programming layout and some cool perks. ron

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.