Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Cant decide on wood Sport Jet. Reaction, Jetmach SuperSport or Turbinator

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Cant decide on wood Sport Jet. Reaction, Jetmach SuperSport or Turbinator

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 05:42 AM
DMehalko
My Feedback: (42)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cant decide on wood Sport Jet. Reaction, Jetmach SuperSport or Turbinator

Hello gents, Looking at building my 1st turbine jet, want to stick with a wood kit for a couple reasons. #1 I like building, #2 dont want to spend $2,000+ on a composite airframe, and #3 want a sunday funday sport flyer with slower landing speeds.

I cant make up my mind between these 3, the turbinator is on the bottom of the list. I like the reaction, but don't like the one-piece surfboard wing. The Jetmach SuperSport has my interest, but almost no one here has one.

Will be using a Kingtech K80G for whatever i decide
Old 04-03-2015, 06:19 AM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Have you looked at the pilot dolphin (http://www.chiefaircraft.com/radio-c.../pilot-rc.html) or an Excalibur (http://www.dreamworksrc.com/catalog/Jsm-Xcalibur)
Old 04-03-2015, 06:57 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Curious, why is the Turbinator at the bottom of the list?
Old 04-03-2015, 07:01 AM
George

Originally Posted by Len Todd
Len,

I think he wants to "build".
Old 04-03-2015, 07:03 AM
DMehalko

Ya i like building kits, and the price is nice too. The Turbinator just looks a little goofy to me, but seems that people enjoy flying them. I am at a crossroad and looking for feedback. Ready to order something up but keep changing my mind!
Old 04-03-2015, 07:16 AM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe there were more than one who modified the Reaction as a two piece wing. I agree it is a bit of a pain but the "surfboard" wing as you call it is probably strong enough to surf with. I can say if you like building, Bruce's design, instruction manual and online assistance if needed is second to none.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:18 AM
Jeremy300
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Reaction is a fantastic build. I've built three of them. The wood is first rate. The parts fit is great. Full instructions and hardware. There is no guess work. Easy to kit bash as well if you want to go that route as well. I think its a bargain at 500 smackers.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:20 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Hey D I know you wanted to a wood kit and there is nothing wrong with them but something to think about is the having to deal with that heat and it melting you covering or bubbling it. There are some really nice very cheap composite sport jets out there. I personally have not flown one of our Xcalibers but they are getting some very nice reviews and they very low cost.
http://www.globaljetclub.com/index.p...roduct_id=2859
http://www.globaljetclub.com/index.p...roduct_id=2315
The viper jet is a great sporty jet as well, I have two friends that have flown the heck out theirs putting hundreds of flights on them, they are just a friendly and forgiving as the trainers and both handle grass very well
If you would like actual flying and build info on the jet I know people who have done both and can give you some feedback. I understand about building, I myself love to build and even with a ARF I spend tons of time fabricating things and building!
Also welcome to jets and let me know if you need any help! Cheers
Old 04-03-2015, 07:21 AM
George

DM,

The Turbinator is an excellent flying airplane in all regards. There is very little roll coupling or belly tuck in knife edge and is easily "flown" through the maneuver or even better, is easily trimmed out. The slow flight great, and top speed not too bad on 100N engine (140-150 estimate?) It does take a bit of nose weight to balance, but if you know that going in, you can plan to help reduce the amount of ballast in the end.

As far as "looks", I can't help you there, that's your preference, but since you are "building" it, you can reduce or get rid of the "goofy" depending on what you consider goofy. I personally would like to see less sharp angles (more rounded overall), but the flight characteristics and envelope more than make up for the minor cosmetics.

It would be great if you could find someone who has flown all three to give you a side-by-side comparison as I'm sure the others are good too, but I haven't so I can only comment on the Turb.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:34 AM
George

Originally Posted by afterburner
I believe there were more than one who modified the Reaction as a two piece wing. I agree it is a bit of a pain but the "surfboard" wing as you call it is probably strong enough to surf with. I can say if you like building, Bruce's design, instruction manual and online assistance if needed is second to none.
Maybe Marty will let me put a few laps in on his Reaction, then I can comment on the two!
Attached Images  
Old 04-03-2015, 07:46 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

With a little imagination, some wood, and a sander, a Turbinator can be made to look a lot less "goofy."

Bob

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93435.jpg
Views:	1482
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	2086009   Click image for larger version

Name:	turbinator_1a.jpg
Views:	1552
Size:	362.9 KB
ID:	2086010  
Old 04-03-2015, 07:52 AM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Turbinator can be made to look a lot less "goofy."
+1

I love my 125% Turbinator.

Name:	DSC_0068a.jpg
Views:	1735
Size:	443.8 KB
ID:	2086011   Click image for larger version

Name:	ZT125-me3.jpeg
Views:	2627
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	2086012  
Old 04-03-2015, 08:01 AM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I went through the same comparison. I've been flying jets for 10 years and just wanted an everyday flier that wasn't a twin boom.

Several guys in my club have Turbinators. They fly fine but I don't care for the looks and they are quite heavy. They fly OK with an 80N engine and really need a 100N to perform well at sea level. I don't think you'd be happy at Denver elevation with an 80N.

There just wasn't much information out there on the Jet Mach, so I went with the Reaction 54. The looks are a bit odd, however with the right covering scheme some look pretty good. Adding inlets and a canopy improves the looks a lot. Check out the Reaction thread on RCU. I posted some pictures of my build and the modifications I'm making there. I'm almost done with the build and am pretty happy with the way it's coming out. There isn't a lot of room in the fuse, if I was starting over I'd make the fuse about an inch wider. Check it out at http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...t-kit-133.html

Joe
Old 04-03-2015, 08:53 AM
afterburner

Originally Posted by George
Maybe Marty will let me put a few laps in on his Reaction, then I can comment on the two!
All you have to do is ask George! Oh and when I see you, I'll need a full explanation of your new avatar over dinner. Are you going to make it to FIF?

Last edited by afterburner; 04-03-2015 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:56 AM
George

Originally Posted by afterburner
All you have to do is ask George! Oh and when I see you, I'll need a full explanation if your new avatar over dinner. Are you going to make it to FIF?
Will do Marty on all counts; and yes, I'll be a FIF, see you there!!
Old 04-03-2015, 09:18 AM
afterburner

Originally Posted by George
Will do Marty on all counts; and yes, I'll be a FIF, see you there!!
Cool, looking forward to it.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:25 PM
A7Bldr
My Feedback: (40)

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default JetMach Trainer

I built and enjoyed my JetMach Sport 60. A very easy build. I did make it look a bit like a Reaction........After I was ready for my next plane, I sold it to a buddy who had a ball with it. It has flown with Wren MW-54, P-100 and KT-100.
Jim

Name:	Jetmach.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	2086054  
Old 04-03-2015, 01:49 PM
paulsf86
My Feedback: (52)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Cannot go wrong with the Reaction. Bruce did a great job.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:24 PM
stegl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have that big Reaction fuse to store and haul so the wing shouldn't be much different. BUT having said that when building from a box of pieces shouldn't be a big deal to split the wing with a wing tube, just more work but if you are comfortable in doing the change and modes should be workable..... Ever try googling and seeing what other guys did ? will come out heavier because of the added reinforcements.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:09 PM
Kim Couturier
My Feedback: (120)

I fly a turbinator....with some mods, they look good. ( the blue and yellow one a few posts up I owned). They fly great. I've just put a Dophin together....very nice jet. They are coming out with a smaller one too. They look like a jet!
Old 04-04-2015, 11:23 AM
DMehalko

Thank you all for the input and responses! I think I have narrowed it down to the Reaction or Jetmach SuperSport. Reaction has a lot of history and is a proven airframe, yet the Jetmach to me is a little more visually appealing, and wont have to do any further engineering on creating a 2-piece wing. The few reviews out there seem to be good ones, and seems the kingtech K80 will be perfect for either one.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:11 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Have not flown either the Reaction or Jet Mach SS but have friends that have, one guy has his 3rd Reaction on order.

Part of Australia's ''waiver'' program means the jet/pilot combo have to be inspected & I inspected a Jet Mach SS with
the K80 & it's a fine flyer, no problems whatsoever. The guy who owns it is a serious scale competitor (prop driven) &
is looking to transition into scale jets & he had no problems flying it. Said the kit went together well. It flys like a jet but
a gentle jet.

The Reaction doesn't fly like a jet, more a big, lightly loaded pattern plane. It will fly so slow it can trap you where you can
have next to no airspeed & it will just drop from the sky. Mind you, this will be at a speed that looks so slow it's ridiculous &
a speed where most other models will have crashed anyway. Yes, I think it looks ugly, but modifying Reactions is so popular
it almost deserves a thread by itself. My first jet was a scratch built own design & I bought the Reaction wheel/electric brake
combo from Bruce Tharpe, he was a pleasure to deal with.

Your choice, both are fine, if transport/storage is an issue & you don't want to modify a kit perhaps the Jet Mach.
I don't think there is a wrong choice between these two.

No experience with the Turbinator, not so popular in Oz but I think it's a distributor issue rather than a model issue.

If you decide to take the easy option & buy an ARF I am helping a guy buddy box an Xcalibur, a very easy & forgiving model
at a very reasonable price when you consider what it will cost you to build a kit, his has an 80 size engine (VT 80)

John.

Last edited by Boomerang1; 04-04-2015 at 01:22 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:55 PM
DMehalko

Guys thanks again for all the input! After all my indecisiveness I changed my mind and settled on the turbinator. Just ordered the plans and a bunch of wood! Goal will be to 'round' things out, and have a bit more of an attractive turbine exhaust section.

Will be using the K80G, Robart 630 series retracts, and glass the airframe with 1oz cloth per ziroli recommendations.

Very excited that my entry into Jets has finally started!
Old 04-16-2015, 02:43 PM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

Turbine power is addictive.................You will throw rocks at all your slimers.......LOL
Old 04-16-2015, 02:47 PM
vinnyjet
My Feedback: (39)

also the TBM DV8R

Name:	lg-1112313-0-6487.jpg
Views:	1273
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	2089641  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.