Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Habu 32X Turbine

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Habu 32X Turbine

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 01:07 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHaU74JE8T4#t=18

Big thanks to Dom at Essential RC for posting this video of some of my flights yesterday. Quite gusty and thermally yesterday, I made a few adjustments to the set up today (increased the elevator Expo on the down side by 8% more than the up.Set up still needs some minor work, I have JR elevator servos and Savox aileron, I think I'll change the aileron ones sometime as the ailerons are not consistent like the elevator is.

Another 8 flights this weekend, not really a Jet meet model as its small on a huge airfield!

Dw
Old 04-20-2015, 01:37 PM
SushiHunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHaU74JE8T4#t=18

Big thanks to Dom at Essential RC for posting this video of some of my flights yesterday. Quite gusty and thermally yesterday, I made a few adjustments to the set up today (increased the elevator Expo on the down side by 8% more than the up.Set up still needs some minor work, I have JR elevator servos and Savox aileron, I think I'll change the aileron ones sometime as the ailerons are not consistent like the elevator is.

Another 8 flights this weekend, not really a Jet meet model as its small on a huge airfield!

Dw
That's Awesome. Very cool how you don't seem to need a whole lot of runway to land it. Love the way you were teasing the "stall gods" on that landing. Looks like you were right almost at the stall speed. I love doing that one too, timing it just right where it's only inches off the ground when it decides to stall and "plop" right down. LOL

Last edited by SushiHunter; 04-20-2015 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:53 PM
Dave Wilshere

It was quite windy at the weekend, so ground speed could be quite low. I'm amazed how well the wing is working, I tried flying right on the stall with most of the up in and it just mushes around. I had a few skippy landings over the weekend, the wire legs and softer, fatter tyres I'm using require a gentle touch down to stop it bouncing on a hard surface. Grass is more forgiving!

Dave
Old 04-20-2015, 02:24 PM
SushiHunter

It was quite windy at the weekend, so ground speed could be quite low. I'm amazed how well the wing is working, I tried flying right on the stall with most of the up in and it just mushes around. I had a few skippy landings over the weekend, the wire legs and softer, fatter tyres I'm using require a gentle touch down to stop it bouncing on a hard surface. Grass is more forgiving!

Dave
That was one of the very best landings I've ever seen anyone do with a Habu 32.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:50 PM
Dave Wilshere

It was quite thermally on the day the video was filmed and I did some skippy landings too!
I played with the flap settings on the second day of this event, I reduced the flap by 3/16" and decreased the CROW a fraction to stop the "lift dump" I let Ali have a flight with it and he did a perfect main wheel touch roller landing.
On grass its easier to ace every landing.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:32 AM
SushiHunter

It was quite thermally on the day the video was filmed and I did some skippy landings too!
I played with the flap settings on the second day of this event, I reduced the flap by 3/16" and decreased the CROW a fraction to stop the "lift dump" I let Ali have a flight with it and he did a perfect main wheel touch roller landing.
On grass its easier to ace every landing.
That would be cool to see on video. I really liked your landing because I've never seen a Habu come in for a landing so slowly like you did it. It came in as slowly as a Habu 2 does. That was one of the things that amazed me most about it. I've seen plenty of Habu 32 vids of landings but all are much faster. Even with my own Habu, I come in much faster than how you did in that video. I'm always bringing her in fast because I'm afraid of stalling and/or the bounce landing and then snap. That was pretty sweet though how you did it. I think it also has to do with the amount of flap you got on it. I don't use as much on mine. But yours has a turbine power plant so I'm wondering if the thrust you got also has influence on how it flies with that amount of flap you got.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:23 AM
Dave Wilshere

I had an EDF Habu 32 and still used that much flap!
I messed around with the 32X wing clean and I can get to full up at low power and it does not snap!
All my grass landings were slow too and it was not as breezy.
Will do some more videos at the local site when we have a chance

Dave
Old 04-22-2015, 10:35 AM
SushiHunter

I had an EDF Habu 32 and still used that much flap!
I messed around with the 32X wing clean and I can get to full up at low power and it does not snap!
All my grass landings were slow too and it was not as breezy.
Will do some more videos at the local site when we have a chance

Dave
Looking forward to the vids. The one you posted previously is very inspirational to say the least.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:56 AM
Dave Wilshere

Had a few more flights with the 32X yesterday from our grass site-employee Beardy came over to video it and agreed its not as straight forward as you might think because of the size! Will see what he got tomorrow in the office.
It was a breezy day with the wind coming over several landscaped mounds of earth, so the little bird gets kicked around, though it copes really well considering. Grass was long and damp from overnight rain, I'd hoped the guys would have cut the grass last week :-( Like this it struggles to accelerate during take off, but with TO flap it lifts off at really low speeds :-)

Great mini jet package
Old 04-27-2015, 04:53 AM
Dave Wilshere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Albz...are_video_user

Video we did Saturday there are two flights, one normal length and one shorter. I really must free up the wheels more!
Old 04-27-2015, 07:57 AM
SushiHunter

Cool! Well that first takeoff was a little scary, reminded me of when I flew my Habu for the maiden and almost wing stalled it cause I didn't get it up in ideal airspeed. You mention lots of wind so the wind probably batted it a little on your takeoff. Those were some really good flights. I like the in-close maneuvers during the first flight. I got to keep mine that close because I have a tendency to let it get a little far. I've lost one due to letting it get too far and then loosing the plane's orientation at a somewhat low altitude. Not fun! So I need to keep it in tight like you did during your first flight on this video. BTW - what... is that a cow I hear starting at about 1:21 ?

The second flight is really cool. I love that big air. Landings in both vids were very nice. Those are some really tight maneuvers. What are your elevators set at? Thanks for posting.

Last edited by SushiHunter; 04-27-2015 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:39 AM
Dave Wilshere

Up wind of the strip in that direction is a few thousand tons of earth dumped from a gravel extraction, it runs across the field in three humps, then the road in the distance is on a ridge...so it can be very bumpy, but the ground speed was very low and I hauled it off, so limited aileron power, lift and bumpy air makes for fun!
I still have the wheels set tight on the axles for tarmac flying and with the uncut grass its not getting up to speed.

It has a great speed range and in smooth air it grooves around, Beardy was not happy with the videos as the sky made the camera hunt for focus, we will do another when the grass is cut and skies are blue :-)
Old 04-27-2015, 09:50 AM
SushiHunter

Up wind of the strip in that direction is a few thousand tons of earth dumped from a gravel extraction, it runs across the field in three humps, then the road in the distance is on a ridge...so it can be very bumpy, but the ground speed was very low and I hauled it off, so limited aileron power, lift and bumpy air makes for fun!
I still have the wheels set tight on the axles for tarmac flying and with the uncut grass its not getting up to speed.

It has a great speed range and in smooth air it grooves around, Beardy was not happy with the videos as the sky made the camera hunt for focus, we will do another when the grass is cut and skies are blue :-)
Still was quite nice, never the less.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:12 PM
Paul0088

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Albz...are_video_user

Video we did Saturday there are two flights, one normal length and one shorter. I really must free up the wheels more!

https://youtu.be/Albzfhoe8MM

nice

Last edited by Paul0088; 04-29-2015 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:21 AM
ACE51
My Feedback: (3)

Just put the new TJ Kevlar tank in, 32OZ!

Also added a 2 inch JP hobby front nose brake to be compliant at any Jet events in the USA, added 3 OZ to the nose which worked out great because I had 3 OZ of lead without it, its nice to be able to add weight in a functional form.

One thing I will say is that the CG from full tank to empty is quite noticeable on this little model, I find I'm trimming out the elevator from beginning of flight to end.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	getPart.jpg
Views:	671
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	2093366   Click image for larger version

Name:	getPart-1.jpg
Views:	636
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	2093367  
Old 05-01-2015, 05:30 PM
DUCMOZ

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi Dave, I converted a foamy Stinger 90 to turbine with a P20 sx. The nose has twin wheel with trailing link and although our grass field is much rougher than yours, the nose seem to skip over the grass (does not dig in) and let the plane take off. Maybe you should try that set-up. I can send you a picture if you want.

Thanks

Behzad
Old 05-01-2015, 11:41 PM
Dave Wilshere

Behzad

Thanks for the reply, as I said in the report its not so much the grass or surface (ours is soft and was damp from heavy overnight rain) its that I have the wheels set tight for tarmac operation. You can see in the first video Dom from Essential RC posted it slows really quickly on landing and taxiing. We don't have a brake requirement like the USA so this was my best solution. I'll free up the wheels after next weekends meeting as most flying after that will be from grass sites.
Just taxiing I need 3/4 power now :-)

Dave