Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Need verdict from the Gyro Jury

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Need verdict from the Gyro Jury

Old 04-08-2015, 06:37 AM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bluelevel
Repeating this false information over and over doesn't make it truer, any Powerbox gyro and also the Eagletree can be programmed without a computer!
Can you explain how to program the 3e for a delta(elevon) out of the box without the cable and a PC? I bought one and installed it into a Phase 3 Squall to test out before I put it in a jet. I had to borrow a cable from a pal to set it up for elevon. If there's another way, I couldn't find it.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:45 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wfield0455
Still, since you mentioned that you have 2 receivers, if you split the airplane left side / right side then simply have 2 gyros and stabilize the left side with one and the right side with the other. Then you have the same level of redundancy you have with 2 receivers and 2 batteries.
I was just thinking about it...and this product "Jeti Enlink2rs" comes to mind.....Here is how (I think) two receivers could work.. using the (Jeti Enlink2rs)...connect the red input lead to the output from the Gyro which is on (1 RX), Then connect the other black input lead to (2RX) corresponding channel. The output of the (Jeti Enlink2rs) goes to 1 out of two servo.. Ail, Elev, rudd, so if the gyro stop working the Enlink secondary input takes over.

But that's two much work ..back to old school flying
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	jeti-enlink-2rs.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	2087175  

Last edited by basimpsn; 04-08-2015 at 08:11 AM.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:55 AM
DEMONjoe

Originally Posted by rcpete347
Just to clarify one point you made, non SRS Power Boxs are installed after the gyro.
Reciever =========Gyro========Power Box========servo
Sorry, I was only talking about the SRS boxes with multiple Rx inputs. Of course you are right that in the other case the box comes behind the system, which makes a lot of sense in regards to the servo power solution if you do not trust the unit itself.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:00 AM
DEMONjoe

Originally Posted by basimpsn
"Note: for phobics only, not really needed Because...."

Thanks for addressing my "phobics" please note: this response is just for(Demojoe) "..........
I guess what I'm trying to say is if the signal wire from the rx not passing through the gyro or the output from the gyro not matching the rx signal to the servo..then no PowerBox,Battery to each servo with 10 gauge wire for power bust can save you...you are going down lol. .......
I understand exactly what you mean, talked with many guys about these things happening. Mostly you will not even find out what it was in the end. But at least the gyro usually works if not getting a direct hit by whatever, or burning up. Then you at least will know what it wasn't.
And I did not want you to get me wrong, just hopped on the fun train with stating all this the way I did

Hey, anybody at Toledo this weekend? Would love to get to know some of you in person. (This is a booth invitation )
Old 04-08-2015, 07:13 AM
bluelevel
My Feedback: (39)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by afterburner
Can you explain how to program the 3e for a delta(elevon) out of the box without the cable and a PC? I bought one and installed it into a Phase 3 Squall to test out before I put it in a jet. I had to borrow a cable from a pal to set it up for elevon. If there's another way, I couldn't find it.
Marty,

with "programming" I was thinking of basic settings and gain values, more advanced options might really need the programming cable. But as already stressed, this is only true for the smaller iGyro 3e. If that is really "the" feature, then of course the other Non-Cortex brands are no good

I am shutting my mouth now, because I seem to think totally different than most guys here. I don't care how easy it is to install a gyro without the need to even read the manual. I want to explore the full functionality and and take my time to adjust and fine-tune the gain settings. Even I need a cable, then so be it. If I wanted a plug and play gyro, I would probably fly foamies but not a $10,000 jet.

Thomas
Old 04-08-2015, 07:59 AM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Now who the hell would say that?

Originally Posted by bevar
Basil,

The jet crash you are talking about did not have a gyro installed in it. That story was created by a pot stirrer and is 100% false.

Beave
Old 04-08-2015, 08:04 AM
Bob_B

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Vincent
Isn't the axis xbuss only??
Vin...

it has to have an XBus or SBus input and can output PWM
Old 04-08-2015, 08:26 AM
Quandry

Originally Posted by DEMONjoe
I understand exactly what you mean, talked with many guys about these things happening. Mostly you will not even find out what it was in the end. But at least the gyro usually works if not getting a direct hit by whatever, or burning up. Then you at least will know what it wasn't.And I did not want you to get me wrong, just hopped on the fun train with stating all this the way I did
snip
Hey Joe, is it possible to design a gyro that has an oscillation sensor? so that way it could retard the gain automatically? a bit like how a knock sensor works with ignition timing on car engines.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:32 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Geoff the eagletree does have an oscillation sensor built in to it So it's possible. Would love for others to do this.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:14 AM
JackD
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gunradd
Geoff the eagletree does have an oscillation sensor built in to it So it's possible. Would love for others to do this.
Kris,
As I have said before: ET has probably the most advanced software in all of them. Direct Rate mode, oscillation sensors, stabilization, etc. Too bad they are all packaged in a cheap piece of hardware. But again, I think the are catering a completely different segment of the hobby

Jack
Old 04-08-2015, 09:37 AM
gunradd

Yea I agree Jack. They are selling quantity not quality . After flying the cortex for a while it is more precise then the eagletree IMO.

Originally Posted by JackD
Kris,
As I have said before: ET has probably the most advanced software in all of them. Direct Rate mode, oscillation sensors, stabilization, etc. Too bad they are all packaged in a cheap piece of hardware. But again, I think the are catering a completely different segment of the hobby

Jack
Old 04-08-2015, 11:31 AM
Art ARRO

Joachim,
What booth are you in at Toledo? I plan to attend the show from noon Friday till noon Sunday and would like to drop by. Any "show specials" at Toledo?
Rgds,
Art ARRO
Old 04-08-2015, 11:41 AM
Bob_B

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts

Art they are in booth 241-242.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:50 AM
Art ARRO

Bob,
Thanks and I'll be sure to visit them.
Rgds,
Art
Old 04-09-2015, 08:15 AM
martinan

Originally Posted by basimpsn
I was just thinking about it...and this product "Jeti Enlink2rs" comes to mind.....Here is how (I think) two receivers could work.. using the (Jeti Enlink2rs)...connect the red input lead to the output from the Gyro which is on (1 RX), Then connect the other black input lead to (2RX) corresponding channel. The output of the (Jeti Enlink2rs) goes to 1 out of two servo.. Ail, Elev, rudd, so if the gyro stop working the Enlink secondary input takes over.

But that's two much work ..back to old school flying
Hey what's up Basil? When are you going to be back SFL? Are you using a Jeti system? Would there be any advantage in using a receiver with a gyro integrated into it? I know Spectrum has the AS3X receivers and Jeti is coming out with their entry into to the receiver / gyro combo unit. I'm trying to get back into the hobby and I'm interested in setting up with a gyro for the first time. Any info would be appreciated.

Andre.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:15 AM
basimpsn

Originally Posted by martinan
Hey what's up Basil? When are you going to be back SFL? Are you using a Jeti system? Would there be any advantage in using a receiver with a gyro integrated into it? I know Spectrum has the AS3X receivers and Jeti is coming out with their entry into to the receiver / gyro combo unit. I'm trying to get back into the hobby and I'm interested in setting up with a gyro for the first time. Any info would be appreciated.
Andre.
What's up Andre..I tried to visit Markham Park as much as possible but D.C being the central point to my job... I'm stuck here . The (Jeti Enlink2rs) is only a redundancy switch if you're using two receivers to one servo like a single rudder or throttle . If I wasn't using Futaba 2.4 system..Jeti radio gears seems rock solid enuff. Stay away from receiver/gyro combo unit, because if one goes bad you lose both. As for gyro I'm seriously looking into it...doesn't make sense everyone using gyros to improve the "PLANE STABILITY" and I'm hand flying mines like a su@#er lol.

Last edited by basimpsn; 04-09-2015 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-11-2015, 06:47 PM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys were asking about what if's? like what if the gyro fails..etc.. I wanted to clear something up about the cortex.. Its bus design is the same tried and proven bus power design used in millions of receivers.. all the + and - pins are on a common bus and in parallel, so if its working, its not likely to fail.. Its design is to fault to pass thru the signal.. because it alters only the existing signal for stabilization.. You can also add a third power wire to the bind port if you like, just pull the signal wire. You can also put power in downstream via a Y cord, and it will back power just fine..again just pull the signal wire on the power input.

All that being said.. the more probable issue would be either over-gain from user, or possibly someone reversing the controls during learning and not catching it. Both of those have happened a few times.. In either case, make sure you can kill the gain with a switch or dial..

In most radio's, you can use a simple free mix and Mix Gyro gain to gyro gain and load (-100%), or L(100%).. so it will mix the gyro to itself, and if the neutral position is the default, it will kill the gain mix in most radios.. this would work well if you had gain programmed into your flight modes or something.. I also had one come loose using automotive tape in a foamy, so when the model acted up, I just simply turned it off and landed.. Another customer had one backwards in his jet.. when he switched on the gain, it diverged.. turned it off and landed.. etc.. hope that helps. Its easy to test, just hit your switch and the LED should go red indicating Zero gain pass through

Last edited by gooseF22; 04-11-2015 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:00 AM
stegl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes I understand that because of the +- being a bus system that there is power for the servos and receiver but what if the signal is interrupted ? as you need all three wires to work.
Old 04-12-2015, 05:18 PM
jetspud

Pardon the dumbness but what are gryos exactly used for. Would it help lets say a F18f not jump off the runway like they seem to do alot?? Would it help on a maiden of a jet and the elevators are to sensitive due to cg, or too much throw ect ect. Just trying to see if it helps in those aspects

David
Old 04-12-2015, 05:30 PM
Dieselman1220
My Feedback: (25)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

David..gyros are a sick sick addiction and once you fly with one you won't want to go back.
They act as a dampner to smooth out the flight characteristics of the aircraft. They don't buffet around in the wind anymore, and configuration changes are smoothed out. The airplane always feels completely locked in in any phase of flight. I always said I would never
put one in a jet........Until I tried it.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:22 PM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

For a high dollar jet it seems the "popular" choice is between the Cortex and the iGyro for most guys. I've flown the Eagletree in various versions and they are cool but I don't like the way they "feel" knowing what I do know today. The jets I used the Eagletrees on were medium to higher wing loading swept wing traditional jets (one rudder, two ail channels, etc). They felt solid and nice in landing configuration but while in flight doing aerobatics I had moments asking myself if I was flying the plane or if it was being flown by a robot. I was almost fighting the controls at times and something did not seem natural. I spent a lot of time on the computer fine tuning the setup and researching other people's setups but never liked the feel I was getting. However in a small foamie they are fine. I last flew the ET's toward the end of 2013 in anything "decent".

On the other hand I have nothing but acolades for the iGyro 3e. I can't believe what a better flying experience the iGyro is - it feels like I'm the only one flying (no fighting with some other "layer" of control going on behind the curtain) but the bad habits in the airframe like dutch roll, axis coupling, pitch oscillations and momentum overshoots are gone. May I add, I have grown to love the ability of the iGyro to offer an "attitude hold" mode that is not only useful but absolutely appropriate with experience and proper setup. I've never liked that sort of mode before on the ET's but in the iGyro - it's a sleeper of a mode with tons of potential if one is able to put some time in playing with it in a low value model first. In general, just talking rate mode though (the normal mode most guys play with)... what's cool is you have the ability to put more mental resources toward fine tuning flight path control and energy management with good gyro systems. In other words you have more capacity to fly better because you are just flying, not fighting. The plane is much more pleasing to watch. It looks real. It's not bobbing around in it's own airframe wake or random thermal activity as you bore holes in the sky. It flies "bigger".

I am certain the Cortex is the same. I have two iGyros and DO plan to also buy a Cortex later this year. For right now I have ditched the idea that I'll only have one of these gyro boxes (my original thought). For example, planes I often fly the same day, it would be nice to have a box installed in each. I'd prefer not to pull these at the field swapping things around in some planes with tight space when I should be flying and jiving with friends... but... I also won't have one in every plane bc they are still a ton of cash. I'll have a quick mount set up in my planes for easy swaps in the shop so maybe I'll have three of these (2 iGyro and 1 Cortex for example) by the end of the season. So I'm not bothered about any potential brand war or fan boy club making me feel like I can't have both. I will have both. This may be a case of the Cortex having it's best performance in certain types of planes and the iGyro having the performance advantage in others.

All I know is I'm sorta sold on these little black boxes. Or blue boxes. Or whatever.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:18 AM
basimpsn

Originally Posted by stegl
Yes I understand that because of the +- being a bus system that there is power for the servos and receiver but what if the signal is interrupted ? as you need all three wires to work.
Hope this diagram helps with what we are trying to explain

Ok now I bought my first Cortex gyro..my big question is .....how to connect it lol..Just kidding guys.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	gYRO.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	2088616   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150411_214102.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	2.41 MB
ID:	2088619  

Last edited by basimpsn; 04-13-2015 at 04:37 AM.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:00 PM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

Just saw at Toledo a 3rd Hi end Gyro option. David Ribbe and Q Q Samizini (Spelling?) have a new company called Flex Innovations and they are coming out with another gyro system at a great price. With these two guys behind it it should be a winner...........It comes in a Red case.........LOL
Old 04-14-2015, 04:55 AM
BarracudaHockey

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

We'll see.

If that works like the IGyro or Cortex and costs like the Eagle Tree its going to sell extremely well.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:35 AM
gunradd

Looks like the new one from Ribbe will be this.
http://www.flexinnovations.com/index.../106-fpzaura08

Pretty nice looking unit with a great price. Looks like you might be limited to 4 outputs though on your typical install unless you are using Sbus or something like that. But I know nothing about this unit so might be wrong.

The good thing about the Gyro wars will be lower prices for all of us in the long run

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.