Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Need verdict from the Gyro Jury

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Need verdict from the Gyro Jury

Old 04-06-2015, 01:06 PM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need verdict from the Gyro Jury

I don't want to get a Ford vs Chevy argument here, Ford and Chevy both make great products. That being said, What is the differences ( if any ) of the Cortex and I-Gyro 3E and a brief " Why " would be helpful. I am interested it the user-friendly aspect as well as reliability quality if the product as well as the warm & fuzzy feel I hear so much about. Is one is better over the other, price not being one of these. I realize there are probably more guy's flylng Cortex at this time, but is the I-Gyro gaining popularity for the right reasons. Thanks for any and all input and opinions !!

Cheers,

Dan
Old 04-06-2015, 01:28 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Both work great.

Cortex is more flexible, its got 5 stabilized outputs, doesn't care whats plugged in, 4 ailerons and a rudder; 2 ailerons 2 rudders, and an elevator....doesn't care. It learns whats plugged in during the simple programming process. Can be modified by a cord thats included and the software is free.

Igyro implements hold mode better, you can fly in hold and it reverts to rate when you move the aileron or elevator stick (no hold in rudder axis by default), Cortex is in hold mode or in rate mode.
Not as flexible, there's 2 aileron, 2 elevator and a rudder output, no way to reassign without a lot of tinkering by mounting the gyro differently and fooling with the software. Works great out of the box but the programming cord is optional and extra, the software is free.

A long winded discussion is available in the May and June Fly RC Jet columns.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:04 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Same impressions here... tried both, they work well. The Cortex has the advantage that it can be set in any kind of plane without the use of a PC. My opinion is that heading hold mode in airplanes is plain ugly to see and fly,, I never use it.

Also there are two other gyros that I like more than this ones. The BL3GRC Iceman , the only one I know that has autogain (it also feels great, better than the germans). and the Eagletree guardian, as it is the only one with autolevel feature, wich is a safety bonus IMO. Both are considerable cheaper than the cortex and the igyro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=11&v=XxlaamLgBEA

You can also have the same results with 3 good heli piezo gyros properly set up.. just wire together the gain channel wires, select the proper mode and servo match speed and you are good to go.

Last edited by erbroens; 04-06-2015 at 08:12 PM.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:25 PM
LA jetguy

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Bavarian Cortex for sure... Best on the market
Old 04-06-2015, 11:49 PM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Flew both and decided iGyro all the way! Cortex has a more intrusive controlling feeling when the iGyro feels more natural and smoother.
Cheaper , just plug and play!

Ali and Sebart flying iGyro and report its the best so rest my case!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...er-report.html

my2c
Old 04-07-2015, 03:56 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Would rather not use a gyro at all then the Igyro.... At least the one I used.

Loving the cortex. Had the eagle tree installed and it also worked great but the cortex is more precise and better for competition flying. Eagle tree is much better then nothing at all but cortex is better.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:50 AM
essyou35

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Last edited by essyou35; 04-07-2015 at 05:53 AM.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:53 AM
essyou35

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

What was the issue with the igyro? I was going to buy one.

Originally Posted by gunradd
Would rather not use a gyro at all then the Igyro.... At least the one I used.

Loving the cortex. Had the eagle tree installed and it also worked great but the cortex is more precise and better for competition flying. Eagle tree is much better then nothing at all but cortex is better.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:02 AM
BarracudaHockey

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

He either had a bad unit or it was a case of that gyro not working in that airframe.

Personally I think the unit he had was bad.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:12 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I must admit...lately i've been looking into gyros especially since my T-33 crash (I know gyro can't prevent a crash) but some jets have bad habits. My problem with gyros is my receiver have to go through this gyro to my servo..what happen if the gyro fail? I also have redundancy in all my jets (2 RX, 2 batt,2switches) but with a gyro that's useless. The recent crash at FJ someone was blaming a Gyro then nothing more about that. The other failure in Florida.. The guy was just about to take off and BAM!! no power from the gyro...I was waiting to hear what the problem was but nothing. That makes me nervous.

That's just me.

Last edited by basimpsn; 04-07-2015 at 07:23 AM.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:30 AM
Bob_B

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by basimpsn
I must admit...lately i've been looking into gyros especially since my T-33 crash (I know gyro can't prevent a crash) but some jets have bad habits. My problem with gyros is my receiver have to go through this gyro to my servo..what happen if the gyro fail? I also have redundancy in all my jets (2 RX, 2 batt,2switches) but with a gyro that's. The recent crash at FJ someone was blaming a Gyro then nothing more about that. The other failure in Florida.. The guy was just about to take off and BAM!! no power from the gyro...I was waiting to hear what the problem was but nothing. That makes me nervous.

That's just me.
The Cortex is designed to pass the signal to the servos if stabilization should fail.
Contact Danny at DemonAero.com to discuss any concerns
Old 04-07-2015, 07:41 AM
stegl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bob_B
The Cortex is designed to pass the signal to the servos if stabilization should fail.
Contact Danny at DemonAero.com to discuss any concerns
I follow what you said about the stabilization failure but what happens if the whole "box" fails or goes dead ; do the servo signals and power go thro to the servos ? Or is it game over ?
Old 04-07-2015, 07:47 AM
Bob_B

Originally Posted by stegl
I follow what you said about the stabilization failure but what happens if the whole "box" fails or goes dead ; do the servo signals and power go thro to the servos ? Or is it game over ?

That would be true of any device that fails between the RX and Servos!
Old 04-07-2015, 07:47 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Probably have a better chance of getting in a car accident on the way to the flying field and getting your models destroyed. The benefits far out way the risk. BTW this is coming from someone that owns 1 turbine and flies ALLOT! I also cant afford to replace my one plane and I worry about many other things before worrying about the gyro failing.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:49 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

[QUOTE=basimpsn;12018066]I must admit...lately i've been looking into gyros especially since my T-33 crash (I know gyro can't prevent a crash) but some jets have bad habits. My problem with gyros is my receiver have to go through this gyro to my servo..what happen if the gyro fail? I also have redundancy in all my jets (2 RX, 2 batt,2switches) but with a gyro that's useless. The recent crash at FJ someone was blaming a Gyro then nothing more about that. The other failure in Florida.. The guy was just about to take off and BAM!! no power from the gyro...I was waiting to hear what the problem was but nothing. That makes me nervous.

You should be able to turn the gyro off in flight. I am running eagle tree guardians and they can be shut off in flight.It becomes just a pass thru at that point.
Vin...
Old 04-07-2015, 07:56 AM
siclick33

Some differences between the 2:

Cortex can have mixed channels (such as elevon) 'programmed' without a PC.
Cortex has 5 stabilised outputs that can be used on any channel.
Cortex will accept certain 'Bus' input signals (but will only output PWM)
Cortex can be used without a main receiver if using Spektrum/JR satellite receivers.
USB cable is included in the box with the Cortex.

Whether you need any of these features (either now or in the future) will depend on your requirements. The individual 'feel' of the gyro will pretty much be a personal choice as both will do a good job of stabilising the model.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:57 AM
basimpsn

That's what I'm saying lol. Sometime I wish I could override my technical knowledge about electronic stuff and enjoy these gadget
Old 04-07-2015, 08:02 AM
Countryboy
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=gunradd;12018100]Probably have a better chance of getting in a car accident on the way to the flying field and getting your models destroyed. The benefits far out way the risk. BTW this is coming from someone that owns 1 turbine and flies ALLOT! I also cant afford to replace my one plane and I worry about many other things before worrying about the gyro failing.[/QUOTE.

What happened to the F-16 ?
Old 04-07-2015, 08:05 AM
basimpsn

[QUOTE=Vincent;12018103]
I must admit...lately i've been looking into gyros especially since my T-33 crash (I know gyro can't prevent a crash) but some jets have bad habits. My problem with gyros is my receiver have to go through this gyro to my servo..what happen if the gyro fail? I also have redundancy in all my jets (2 RX, 2 batt,2switches) but with a gyro that's useless. The recent crash at FJ someone was blaming a Gyro then nothing more about that. The other failure in Florida.. The guy was just about to take off and BAM!! no power from the gyro...I was waiting to hear what the problem was but nothing. That makes me nervous.

You should be able to turn the gyro off in flight. I am running eagle tree guardians and they can be shut off in flight.It becomes just a pass thru at that point.
Vin...
I hear you Vin but if the gyro fails due to power loss inside the gyro then the link between the rx and the servo is lost..unless there are (NC) built-in relays on all the channels to hard wire the rx to the servos.

But don't mind me lol..that's just my phobia

Last edited by basimpsn; 04-07-2015 at 08:10 AM.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:10 AM
Dieselman1220
My Feedback: (25)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You know what my vote is Dan, everything should have a Cortex in it. Im trying to figure how to install one in the learjet!
Old 04-07-2015, 08:14 AM
Bob_B

[QUOTE=basimpsn;12018116]
Originally Posted by Vincent

I hear you Vin but if the gyro fails due to power loss inside the gyro then the link between the rx and the servo is lost..unless there are (NC) built-in relays on all the channels to hard wire the rx to the servos.

Is this any different than if your RX failed?
Old 04-07-2015, 08:16 AM
basimpsn

"Is this any different than if your RX failed? "

Of course not..that's why I'm running twin rx, battery and switch. Remember I say I have a phobia lol

But if I'm going to try one out.. it would be Cortex

Last edited by basimpsn; 04-07-2015 at 08:24 AM.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:26 AM
stegl

That's what I'm saying lol. Sometime I wish I could override my technical knowledge about electronic stuff and enjoy these gadget
I am with you on that..... as to the comment on receiver failing then I guess that would depend on the brand of radio system you are using.....some more than others.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:27 AM
Bob_B

[QUOTE=basimpsn;12018116]
Originally Posted by Vincent

Hey wait a minute your signature says.......................Keep it simple!
Old 04-07-2015, 08:31 AM
basimpsn

[QUOTE=Bob_B;12018127]

Hey wait a minute your signature says.......................Keep it simple!
I know man...my buddies at the field keep reminding me of my signature lol. But on a serious note..that's my only concern about gyro.
So anyone else interested in give gyros a try go for it

Last edited by basimpsn; 04-07-2015 at 08:53 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.