Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Need verdict from the Gyro Jury

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Need verdict from the Gyro Jury

Old 04-07-2015, 08:54 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Its Kingtechs F16 not mine I just house it,feed it and take it out for a spin sometimes.

[QUOTE=Countryboy;12018112]
Originally Posted by gunradd
Probably have a better chance of getting in a car accident on the way to the flying field and getting your models destroyed. The benefits far out way the risk. BTW this is coming from someone that owns 1 turbine and flies ALLOT! I also cant afford to replace my one plane and I worry about many other things before worrying about the gyro failing.[/QUOTE.

What happened to the F-16 ?
Old 04-07-2015, 09:24 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Unless you're flying a foamie then the Cortex being able to act as a receiver with satellites is pretty much a moot point. I didn't even discuss that because we are in the jet section.

How does power fail within the gyro? The gyro gets power from the receiver on the bus, which even if the gyro happens to croak, will still pass everything through. I suppose there's a 1 in a few thousand chance it can melt down but at that point you probably have other problems.

As for the FJ's crash there were a lot of theories and not enough wreckage left after the fire to fill a dust buster, could have been any number of things.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:25 AM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Basil,

The jet crash you are talking about did not have a gyro installed in it. That story was created by a pot stirrer and is 100% false.

Beave

Originally Posted by basimpsn
The recent crash at FJ someone was blaming a Gyro then nothing more about that.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:39 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

"Is this any different than if your RX failed? "

Of course not..that's why I'm running twin rx, battery and switch. Remember I say I have a phobia lol

But if I'm going to try one out.. it would be Cortex
If you think about everything that may fail you will have a hanger queen. A friend of mine felt much better using a $450 igyro and was asking me how i could use a $65 eagle tree instead?? i said you have a $100rx in your jet?? duh
Vin...
Old 04-07-2015, 11:05 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bevar
Basil,

The jet crash you are talking about did not have a gyro installed in it. That story was created by a pot stirrer and is 100% false.

Beave
Ok Boli thanks for that info
Old 04-07-2015, 11:06 AM
basimpsn

Originally Posted by vincent
a friend of mine felt much better using a $450 igyro and was asking me how i could use a $65 eagle tree instead?? I said you have a $100rx in your jet?? Duh
vin...
lol
Old 04-07-2015, 11:20 AM
basimpsn

"which even if the gyro happens to croak, will still pass everything through. I suppose there's a 1 in a few thousand chance it can melt down but at that point you probably have other problems."

Ok that's the part you don't understand. I'm 1000% sure that won't happen. If the gyro is defective..there is no way the RX data will pass thru the gyro to the servo unless there is built-in circuit "specially designed" for that purpose. We all know the receiver power the gyro so I must be talk about a gyro failure.

Last edited by basimpsn; 04-07-2015 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:49 AM
JackD
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have flown the 3 of them (igyro, cortex and eagle tree). They all work great doing what they are supposed to do, but I have some pros and cons for each. I dont like HeadingHold (tried in all of them) so my comments are only from a rate POV
here are my observations

Cortex:
Pros: powerful software, with added functionality on the computer. Smart channel assignment
Cons: power carried only through 2 of the 5 leads, surfaces jitter (even with new firmware. Most visible on flying stabs). JR connectors dont fit well, need to sand them to fit the case

Igyro
Pros: Super easy to set up, No servo jitter, power on all servos. great value (220 vs 350$)
Cons: none I can think of (not sure about vtail and taileron flexibility, have not explored this)

Eagle tree:
Pros: Amazing software (incredible functionality), Direct rate mode makes it very unintrusive (stick command indicates angular velocity, not a specific deflection, so it doesn't fight you back --- works like a heli flybarless unit). Very inexpensive (70 bucks or so)
Cons: Only one servo lead providing power, no dual elevators, not intuitive to program. All around cheap unit.

One more thing I want to add: I had one Eagle tree fail on me. Failure resulted in NO POWER OR SIGNAL to the servos. Everything died. Luckily it happened on the ground. After that, I can't trust this unit anymore on an expensive plane (heard the same failure from other people). BUT, it is the only one I would use on cheap stuff given its price.

Hope this helps

Jack G
Old 04-07-2015, 01:56 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Well said Jack!

One thing I have done on my aircraft is add extra power. I have twin rudders and with all three gyros that means a Y. Anything that gets a Y I run power straight to the servos and bypass the gyro altogether. I only run the signal wire through the gyro. All power goes straight from receiver to servos.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:34 PM
bluelevel
My Feedback: (39)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

This discussion seems to turn into a brand war, similar to the question which RX system is the best. I admit I have not used the Cortex before, so I cannot judge it, but what I do not like is the obvious and intentional misinformation in this thread just to make the Cortex seem the better choice.

Cortex can be programmed without a PC
Both Powerbox gyros can also be programmed without a computer. The smaller and less expensive iGyro 3e comes without the USB programming cable that is required to use all functions, but is still about $100 cheaper even if you include the cable. The bigger iGyro SRS comes with a display and a programming switch, so all functions can be accessed easily without ever using a computer at all.

Cortex is soo much easier to setup
I understand that some people do not want to use a computer to program their gyro or even adjust the gains at all, but those people should be aware that they will never use the full potential of any gyro without tweaking it! The Cortex comes with a predefined set of gains that will most likely not fit your plane but sure, it flighs right out of the box. Powerbox has learned over the years and has added a "setup" and a "test fly" assistant to the bigger iGyro, but these might still be intriguing to some. But the smaller iGyro 3e is not much different to install and setup compared to the Cortex. It is also an undeniable fact that the software of the iGyro SRS is a lot more powerful and offers way more functions to fine tune the behavior of your gyro.

Cortex has 5 stabilised outputs that can be used on any channel
They all offer 5 outputs and the latest software of the Powerbox iGyro SRS also offers channel mapping.

Cortex will accept certain 'Bus' input signals
iGyro SRS does the same and supports the bus protocols of ALL major RX manufacturers. The iGyro SRS also offers a "bus output" signal that can be used together with a Powerbox power distribution system to offer more redundancy and protection.

Cortex can be used without a main receiver if using Spektrum/JR satellite receivers
We are in a jet forum here, so I am pretty sure that anyone will use at least two redundant receivers in their plane anyway. The iGyro SRS can also be used with Spektrum/JR satellite receivers, but will need an additional receiver for all other functions if not used in combination with a Powerbox. The smaller iGyro 3e will either be plugged in between the receiver and the servos or preferrably between a Powerbox, Smartfly, Jeti central box or similar product and the servos.

USB cable is included in the box with the Cortex
The iGyro 3e is still about $100 cheaper even if you include the optional programming cable.

Thomas

Last edited by bluelevel; 04-07-2015 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:25 PM
rcpete347
My Feedback: (251)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JackD
I have flown the 3 of them (igyro, cortex and eagle tree). They all work great doing what they are supposed to do, but I have some pros and cons for each. I dont like HeadingHold (tried in all of them) so my comments are only from a rate POV
here are my observations

Cortex:
Pros: powerful software, with added functionality on the computer. Smart channel assignment
Cons: power carried only through 2 of the 5 leads, surfaces jitter (even with new firmware. Most visible on flying stabs). JR connectors dont fit well, need to sand them to fit the case

Igyro
Pros: Super easy to set up, No servo jitter, power on all servos. great value (220 vs 350$)
Cons: none I can think of (not sure about vtail and taileron flexibility, have not explored this)

Eagle tree:
Pros: Amazing software (incredible functionality), Direct rate mode makes it very unintrusive (stick command indicates angular velocity, not a specific deflection, so it doesn't fight you back --- works like a heli flybarless unit). Very inexpensive (70 bucks or so)
Cons: Only one servo lead providing power, no dual elevators, not intuitive to program. All around cheap unit.

One more thing I want to add: I had one Eagle tree fail on me. Failure resulted in NO POWER OR SIGNAL to the servos. Everything died. Luckily it happened on the ground. After that, I can't trust this unit anymore on an expensive plane (heard the same failure from other people). BUT, it is the only one I would use on cheap stuff given its price.

Hope this helps

Jack G
Correct me if I am wrong, if I install a receiver , then a CORTEX or 3E gyro, then a Power Box, all my servos have power from the Power box and the gyro just regulates the signal.
Rcpete

Receiver>>>>>>>>>>>>>Gyro>>>>>>>>>>>>Power Box>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Servos

Last edited by rcpete347; 04-07-2015 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:12 PM
bluelevel

Originally Posted by rcpete347
Correct me if I am wrong, if I install a receiver , then a CORTEX or 3E gyro, then a Power Box, all my servos have power from the Power box and the gyro just regulates the signal.
Rcpete

Receiver>>>>>>>>>>>>>Gyro>>>>>>>>>>>>Power Box>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Servos
Pete, if you are using just one receiver, this will work fine. But if you want extra redundancy, you might want to use a Powerbox Cockpit SRS or Champion SRS and the gyro will go between the Powerbox and the servos.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:34 PM
siclick33

Originally Posted by bluelevel
This discussion seems to turn into a brand war, similar to the question which RX system is the best. I admit I have not used the Cortex before, so I cannot judge it, but what I do not like is the obvious and intentional misinformation in this thread just to make the Cortex seem the better choice.

Both Powerbox gyros can also be programmed without a computer. The smaller and less expensive iGyro 3e comes without the USB programming cable that is required to use all functions, but is still about $100 cheaper even if you include the cable. The bigger iGyro SRS comes with a display and a programming switch, so all functions can be accessed easily without ever using a computer at all.

I understand that some people do not want to use a computer to program their gyro or even adjust the gains at all, but those people should be aware that they will never use the full potential of any gyro without tweaking it! The Cortex comes with a predefined set of gains that will most likely not fit your plane but sure, it flighs right out of the box. Powerbox has learned over the years and has added a "setup" and a "test fly" assistant to the bigger iGyro, but these might still be intriguing to some. But the smaller iGyro 3e is not much different to install and setup compared to the Cortex. It is also an undeniable fact that the software of the iGyro SRS is a lot more powerful and offers way more functions to fine tune the behavior of your gyro.

They all offer 5 outputs and the latest software of the Powerbox iGyro SRS also offers channel mapping.

iGyro SRS does the same and supports the bus protocols of ALL major RX manufacturers. The iGyro SRS also offers a "bus output" signal that can be used together with a Powerbox power distribution system to offer more redundancy and protection.

We are in a jet forum here, so I am pretty sure that anyone will use at least two redundant receivers in their plane anyway. The iGyro SRS can also be used with Spektrum/JR satellite receivers, but will need an additional receiver for all other functions if not used in combination with a Powerbox. The smaller iGyro 3e will either be plugged in between the receiver and the servos or preferrably between a Powerbox, Smartfly, Jeti central box or similar product and the servos.

The iGyro 3e is still about $100 cheaper even if you include the optional programming cable.

Thomas
I apologise if my post came across that way but it wasn't my intention to start a brand war. The OPs question was asking about the difference between the Cortex and iGyro3e, which is the most common question asked (far fewer people compare the Cortex with the iGyro SRS). I simply stated factual differences in the spec between the two. Also please note that I never stated that one was better than the other or suggested a preference as this is an individual choice; I only stated differences in spec.

You are indeed correct that the iGyro SRS can offer some of the features that the iGyro3e and Cortex can't but that wasn't the question asked.

Last edited by siclick33; 04-07-2015 at 10:41 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:47 AM
DEMONjoe

I really wanted to stay out, as most here was really objective and that's the way it should be and should stay.
All I wanted to say is that it is as usual as water going downhill, that a question about "what is the best amongst it's competitors" will always have the outcome to look like a brand war. Natural, as I would call it

Anyway, wanted to add some tech info too:

1) ...regarding the setup Rx-->PowerBox-->Gyro-->Servos: a lot of people do this, and in case you do not trust the cable loom's 2 power wires, then simply split your servo cable into 2 plugs, one using signal and ground, one with power and ground. The signal one goes into the gyro, the power plug into the PowerBox. This way the servos are powered from the main power source of all, and the gyro only needs one power cable to get it's own power to run (only about 25mA needed here). Note: for phobics only, not really needed Because....

2) ...most BECs use 1-2 power lines themselves and are well suitable to power a couple of high power servos. If these do stand the load, why should the cable loom not? Think about it. Note: only refers to those not using a seperate PowerBox.

3) Regarding the topic "what if the gyro fails": from my experience over the multiple years now, our gyros do not fail by themselves. I know that this always is the first impression, as the gyro is the "control module" if the pilot is inactive. And if something weird happens, it must be the gyro. What I can tell you, and some may not want to hear this, but it is amazingly close to never the gyro. This is a fact I can only point out. If a gyro gets shot, power-wise, it always is an external source that is the issue. Simple physics: if a PCB is designed to handle way more amps than any cable in the model, what would happen if the load gets too high for the gyro? Correct, cables would melt first. Or a shorted servo may overload the gyro. Anyway, there are 1000 examples of how to destroy a gyro, but an industrial standard's following product will not simply burn itself

Hope I could bring some faith in the overall gyro use. It is not that bad as some may want to make it sound. And to all those using them: have fun....cause this is what it's all about, nothing else.

Edit: oh, and another bad thing about gyro systems (pretty much a fact too): if you want to find out which is the best for your own needs and feel, you will have to try them all No other known way of getting a real satisfying answer on the initial question since the invention of these systems, no matter if it's about planes or helis.

Last edited by DEMONjoe; 04-08-2015 at 01:39 AM.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:11 AM
Vincent

Originally Posted by gunradd
Well said Jack!

One thing I have done on my aircraft is add extra power. I have twin rudders and with all three gyros that means a Y. Anything that gets a Y I run power straight to the servos and bypass the gyro altogether. I only run the signal wire through the gyro. All power goes straight from receiver to servos.
On my guardian setup I'm not running the elev thru the gyro. It is just my preference I like to control that 100%. I just run ail and rudder. I have the ailerons on matchbox and feed the matchbox with an aux batt feed. Worst case scenario for me if the gyro failed I would lose the rudder only. I guess the match box could fail as well lol!!
Vin...
Old 04-08-2015, 04:36 AM
rrembert

No one has mentioned the JR AXIS gyro. I'm testing one and it is the least intrusive one I've flown to date. It feels great! Very easy to setup as well!!
Old 04-08-2015, 05:37 AM
Vincent

Originally Posted by rrembert
No one has mentioned the JR AXIS gyro. I'm testing one and it is the least intrusive one I've flown to date. It feels great! Very easy to setup as well!!
Isn't the axis xbuss only??
Vin...
Old 04-08-2015, 05:44 AM
rcpete347
My Feedback: (251)

Originally Posted by DEMONjoe
I really wanted to stay out, as most here was really objective and that's the way it should be and should stay.
All I wanted to say is that it is as usual as water going downhill, that a question about "what is the best amongst it's competitors" will always have the outcome to look like a brand war. Natural, as I would call it

Anyway, wanted to add some tech info too:

1) ...regarding the setup Rx-->PowerBox-->Gyro-->Servos: a lot of people do this, and in case you do not trust the cable loom's 2 power wires, then simply split your servo cable into 2 plugs, one using signal and ground, one with power and ground. The signal one goes into the gyro, the power plug into the PowerBox. This way the servos are powered from the main power source of all, and the gyro only needs one power cable to get it's own power to run (only about 25mA needed here). Note: for phobics only, not really needed Because....

2) ...most BECs use 1-2 power lines themselves and are well suitable to power a couple of high power servos. If these do stand the load, why should the cable loom not? Think about it. Note: only refers to those not using a seperate PowerBox.

3) Regarding the topic "what if the gyro fails": from my experience over the multiple years now, our gyros do not fail by themselves. I know that this always is the first impression, as the gyro is the "control module" if the pilot is inactive. And if something weird happens, it must be the gyro. What I can tell you, and some may not want to hear this, but it is amazingly close to never the gyro. This is a fact I can only point out. If a gyro gets shot, power-wise, it always is an external source that is the issue. Simple physics: if a PCB is designed to handle way more amps than any cable in the model, what would happen if the load gets too high for the gyro? Correct, cables would melt first. Or a shorted servo may overload the gyro. Anyway, there are 1000 examples of how to destroy a gyro, but an industrial standard's following product will not simply burn itself

Hope I could bring some faith in the overall gyro use. It is not that bad as some may want to make it sound. And to all those using them: have fun....cause this is what it's all about, nothing else.

Edit: oh, and another bad thing about gyro systems (pretty much a fact too): if you want to find out which is the best for your own needs and feel, you will have to try them all No other known way of getting a real satisfying answer on the initial question since the invention of these systems, no matter if it's about planes or helis.
Just to clarify one pointt you made, non SRS Power Boxs are installed after the gyro.
Reciever =========Gyro========Power Box========receiver,
If the gyro is installed after the P box, the PB's screen will fade and the volt reading will go way down (7.4 volts)
Rcpete
Old 04-08-2015, 05:56 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

I'm assuming you mean Rx > Gyro > PB > Servos

?
Old 04-08-2015, 06:05 AM
basimpsn

"Note: for phobics only, not really needed Because...."

Thanks for addressing my "phobics" please note: this response is just for(Demojoe) "brain storming and nothing to do with how bad gyros are ...My first bad experience with gyro was on a F-16 jet. back then the only place to put a gyro was on the Aileron..I had many flights no problem until one evening one of my Aileron went full deflection in flight..I manage to land it in the grass with very little damage..ok electronic stuff goes bad sometime. The next time was my Trex 600 FBL helicopter..I ask a professional 3D guy to setup my 3 axis heli and do the test flight, he did some piro fips and tic tock. put it in a hover holds the tx in the palm of his hand and say see hands off..next thing we where diving to the ground as the uncontrolled heli pass over our heads..what!! da!!.after the inspection we found out the only control was the throttle and that's because it's connected directly to the RX....Come to find out I wasn't the only one with this problem(3gx gyro)..soon there was a software upgrade to fix this problem. I guess what I'm trying to say is if the signal wire from the rx not passing through the gyro or the output from the gyro not matching the tx signal to the servo..then no PowerBox,Battery to each servo with 10 gauge wire for power bust can save you...you are going down lol.

The only problem I have with information about gyros many thinks if there is a problem he or she can override the gyro by turning off the gain from the TX..no true..that's all I'm saying. I love technology and gyro like ever things else is one of them.

Last edited by basimpsn; 04-09-2015 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:18 AM
JackD

Originally Posted by Vincent
On my guardian setup I'm not running the elev thru the gyro. It is just my preference I like to control that 100%. I just run ail and rudder. I have the ailerons on matchbox and feed the matchbox with an aux batt feed. Worst case scenario for me if the gyro failed I would lose the rudder only. I guess the match box could fail as well lol!!
Vin...
Vincent, In my set up with the Guardian, I had it exactly like you say but on the elevators: two elevators to a matchbox with independent power, only signal through the gyro. When the Guardian took a dump, no SIGNAL got to the elevators. They were absolutely dead. Luckily it all happened on the ground

I discounted it as a freak failure, but after some research, found several users of these units experience similar conditions, so I won't use one in my jets again.

It is a shame, cause I feel they have by far, the most advanced software. I guess they are trying to cater a different segment of the hobby, where a 200+ unit will not sell
Old 04-08-2015, 06:21 AM
JackD

Originally Posted by rcpete347
Just to clarify one pointt you made, non SRS Power Boxs are installed after the gyro.
Reciever =========Gyro========Power Box========receiver,
If the gyro is installed after the P box, the PB's screen will fade and the volt reading will go way down (7.4 volts)
Rcpete
Pete, I'll let someone with Powerbox experience answer you on this one, I have never used one (Honestly, I still don't know what they are for....)
Old 04-08-2015, 06:21 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

"Note: for phobics only, not really needed Because...."

Thanks for addressing my "phobics" please note: this response is just for(Demojoe) "brain storming and nothing to do with how bad gyros are ...My first bad experience with gyro was on a F-16 jet. back then the only place to put a gyro was on the Aileron..I had many flights no problem until one evening one of my Aileron went full deflection in flight..I manage to land it in the grass with very little damage..ok electronic stuff goes bad sometime. The next time was my Trex 600 FBL helicopter..I ask a professional 3D guy to setup my 3 axis heli and do the test flight, he did some piro fips and tic tock. put it in a hover holds the tx in the palm of his hand and say see hands off..next thing we where diving to the ground as the uncontrolled heli pass over our heads..what!! da!!.after the inspection we found out the only control was the throttle and that's because it's connected directly to the RX....Come to find out I wasn't the only one with this problem(3gx gyro)..soon there was a software upgrade to fix this problem. I guess what I'm trying to say is if the signal wire from the rx not passing through the gyro or the output from the gyro not matching the rx signal to the servo..then no PowerBox,Battery to each servo with 10 gauge wire for power bust can save you...you are going down lol.

The only problem I have with information about gyros many thinks if there is a problem he or she can override the gyro by turning off the gain from the TX..no true..that's all I'm saying. I love technology and gyro like ever things else is one of them.
If the gyro is misbehaving because of the gain being set to high, etc, then disabling it by setting the gain to 0 will take care of that. In the case of a hardware failure, not so much. Still, since you mentioned that you have 2 receivers, if you split the airplane left side / right side then simply have 2 gyros and stabilize the left side with one and the right side with the other. Then you have the same level of redundancy you have with 2 receivers and 2 batteries.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:23 AM
bluelevel

Originally Posted by socjiuyon
The Cortex has the advantage that it can be set in any kind of plane without the use of a PC.
Repeating this false information over and over doesn't make it truer, any Powerbox gyro and also the Eagletree can be programmed without a computer!
Old 04-08-2015, 06:32 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bluelevel
Repeating this false information over and over doesn't make it truer, any Powerbox gyro and also the Eagletree can be programmed without a computer!
Just because it isn't the only device that can be programmed without a computer doesn't make the information any less true. You also didn't adress the Cortex units ability to stabilize pretty much any control surface (any kind of airplane) as it learns the control surface behavior during setup rather than needing to pre-selected mode. So can the iGyro and the Eagletree be configured to support Tailerons, Flaperons, etc, without the use of a PC or even with the use of a PC? And that really is a question, not an attempt to say they can't as I've never used either and honestly don't know the answer..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.