Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Need verdict from the Gyro Jury

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Need verdict from the Gyro Jury

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 05:39 AM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
We'll see.

If that works like the IGyro or Cortex and costs like the Eagle Tree its going to sell extremely well.
That is what Dave told me, Priced like the Eagle Tree with features like the Cortex and IGyro.

[h=5]features:[/h]
  • Enhanced Stability and Control for all types of Fixed Wing Aircraft
  • Connects easily to receivers or satellites from all major radio brands
  • Micro USB Port allows loading model configurations, user programming, and firmware updates
  • Custom tuning through PC or phone/tablet device (iPhone®/Android®) - phone/tablet support expected fall of 2015
  • 3+ Flight Modes allow precise or aggressive settings to be selected in the same flight
  • 3 Axis Gyro modes for Precision and 3D Aerobatics
  • 6 Axis Sensor and powerful 32-bit processor allows for continuous expansion and feature updates
  • Lightweight and Durable plastic case
  • Includes Aura 8, Micro USB Cable, 4 'Servo' Interconnect Leads, and Mounting Tape
[TABLE="width: 300, align: right"]
[TR]
[TH="bgcolor: white, colspan: 2, align: left"] Specifications:[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Dimensions[/TD]
[TD] 38.2mm x 36.5mm x 14.5mm[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] 1.5" x 1.4" x 0.6"[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Weight[/TD]
[TD] 13 grams[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] 0.5 oz[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Servo Port[/TD]
[TD] FUT/JR/Universal[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Voltage[/TD]
[TD] 4 - 10V DC[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[h=5]Ports:[/h]
  • Eight Servo Ports can be individually configured as (PWM) Inputs or Outputs
  • Two dedicated ports for DSM® Satellites
  • Dedicated input port for single wire digital connection via S.Bus® (Futaba®) or SRXL (JR®, Multiplex, Graupner SUMD) or analog PPM stream
  • Supports traditional receivers via male to male 'Servo' Interconnect Leads
  • Micro USB Port for loading model programs, user programming, and firmware updates
  • Telemetry port for future expansion

Last edited by Terry Holston; 04-14-2015 at 05:44 AM.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:34 PM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry Holston
That is what Dave told me, Priced like the Eagle Tree with features like the Cortex and IGyro.

features:

• Enhanced Stability and Control for all types of Fixed Wing Aircraft
  • Connects easily to receivers or satellites from all major radio brands
  • Micro USB Port allows loading model configurations, user programming, and firmware updates
  • Custom tuning through PC or phone/tablet device (iPhone®/Android®) - phone/tablet support expected fall of 2015
  • 3+ Flight Modes allow precise or aggressive settings to be selected in the same flight
  • 3 Axis Gyro modes for Precision and 3D Aerobatics
  • 6 Axis Sensor and powerful 32-bit processor allows for continuous expansion and feature updates
  • Lightweight and Durable plastic case
  • Includes Aura 8, Micro USB Cable, 4 'Servo' Interconnect Leads, and Mounting Tape
[TABLE="width: 300, align: right"]
[TR]
[TH="bgcolor: white, colspan: 2, align: left"] Specifications:[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Dimensions[/TD]
[TD] 38.2mm x 36.5mm x 14.5mm[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD] 1.5" x 1.4" x 0.6"[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Weight[/TD]
[TD] 13 grams[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD] 0.5 oz[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Servo Port[/TD]
[TD] FUT/JR/Universal[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Voltage[/TD]
[TD] 4 - 10V DC[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Ports:

• Eight Servo Ports can be individually configured as (PWM) Inputs or Outputs
  • Two dedicated ports for DSM® Satellites
  • Dedicated input port for single wire digital connection via S.Bus® (Futaba®) or SRXL (JR®, Multiplex, Graupner SUMD) or analog PPM stream
  • Supports traditional receivers via male to male 'Servo' Interconnect Leads
  • Micro USB Port for loading model programs, user programming, and firmware updates
  • Telemetry port for future expansion

I hope it's not sbus in without sbus out!!
Attached Images  
Old 04-14-2015, 04:56 PM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

"I hope it's not sbus in without sbus out!! "

That's above my pay grade......LOL............ you will have to ask Dave Ribbe about that...........
Old 04-16-2015, 05:53 PM
dribbe

Originally Posted by George
I hope it's not sbus in without sbus out!!
For now, we are not talking about S.Bus out.... will see after some time....

David
Old 04-16-2015, 07:05 PM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dribbe
For now, we are not talking about S.Bus out.... will see after some time....

David
Thanks for the info. Dave.

IMO, having an S in and not out, kind of defeats the purpose of the serial systems, but yours will not be the first like this. I've always wondered what was the purpose of such a set-up? I'm sure it will be a success if it has Cortex / 3E capability at ET pricing.

Thanks again,
Old 04-16-2015, 11:15 PM
fgnn

Same impressions here... tried both, they work well. The Cortex has the advantage that it can be set in any kind of plane without the use of a PC. My opinion is that heading hold mode in airplanes is plain ugly to see and fly,, I never use it.

Last edited by fgnn; 04-16-2015 at 11:17 PM.
Old 04-17-2015, 04:17 PM
dribbe

I think today a lot of folks have S.Bus out and aren't using it for anything... But now they can have a cleaner AFCS install.
I am sure more will use the OUT for servos and stuff as time goes by.

David
Old 04-17-2015, 04:25 PM
dribbe

Nice day flying. Flew 3 more flights with the Aura in the Turbine Viperjet. Rock Solid! I thought it flew pretty good before, but it is on rails now!
Did not find a gain limit, but fealt like I had enough anyway!
Old school P120SE.
David
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	650
Size:	839.2 KB
ID:	2089917   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	777
Size:	693.1 KB
ID:	2089918  
Old 04-18-2015, 06:13 AM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave I was looking at your system a few weeks ago on your site and it looks quite nice. I might pick up one of your new "foamie" 3D planes this summer with it pre installed and if so it will also be used on plenty of other airframes too in the hangar. You guys have some cool stuff coming out and I like the emphasis on quality and innovation. Keep it up... looking forward to your foray into quality EDF jets too (that's a personal wish list, not any sort of inside information for readers... ha ha...)
Old 04-18-2015, 06:57 AM
dribbe

Originally Posted by Eddie P
Dave I was looking at your system a few weeks ago on your site and it looks quite nice. I might pick up one of your new "foamie" 3D planes this summer with it pre installed and if so it will also be used on plenty of other airframes too in the hangar. You guys have some cool stuff coming out and I like the emphasis on quality and innovation. Keep it up... looking forward to your foray into quality EDF jets too (that's a personal wish list, not any sort of inside information for readers... ha ha...)
Thanks for the kind words... expect things like the Aura AFCS will have ongoing new features and so forth... Really solid now was a 'aircraft 3 axis system'.
We intend to do just as you say, innovation takes time, but we are working on some cool stuff... EDF's... will see as time goes by. The China direct stuff is pretty cheap... will be careful to see if we can develop a plane that is in touch enough to compete... (I know we can do a better one, but depends on the value the customer can see in that.)

(Might want to pre-order some Aura 8's. The Intro-Price will not last too long I expect. )

Also, Just FWIW, the Viperjet is testing the old school... PWM-in, PWM-out... so it has 4 in (Ail, Elev, Rudd, Fl_Mode) from Powersafe 12ch) and 4 out (Ail_R, Ail_L, Elev, Rudd). Working perfect just piggy-backed quick on top of an existing install.

Best Regards,
David

Last edited by dribbe; 04-18-2015 at 07:02 AM.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:21 AM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Totally agree on the import EDF scene... Would not want to see you guys waste your intellectual chops and experience trying to compete in the "El-Chineapo" arena anyhow. I was thinking more along the lines of quality and innovative products in the crossover range of high end EDF and small turbine territory. I hear ya though... you guys have your plate full doing the good stuff you guys are doing right now and the future tell it's own tale. In fact I'm ordering up one of your nice current available products in a few days in fact... will wait 'till Monday to get it in process.
Old 04-18-2015, 11:55 AM
Art ARRO
My Feedback: (5)

David,
Please send me a PM or call direct: 1-315-865-4990- anytime or leave a reply message.
Thanks.
Art ARRO
Old 04-20-2015, 04:27 AM
DEMONjoe

Originally Posted by Quandry
Hey Joe, is it possible to design a gyro that has an oscillation sensor? so that way it could retard the gain automatically? a bit like how a knock sensor works with ignition timing on car engines.
Possible, somehow, but the challenge is to separate "bad" from "normal" vibration. As every plane and heli have vibrations all the time, it is pretty hard to figure our which is what. And you would not want the system to reduce your gain by a wrong information handling.
But I like the idea basically
Old 04-20-2015, 04:28 AM
DEMONjoe

Originally Posted by Art ARRO
Joachim,
What booth are you in at Toledo? I plan to attend the show from noon Friday till noon Sunday and would like to drop by. Any "show specials" at Toledo?
Rgds,
Art ARRO
Seen this too late Hope all your questions were answered by me or Danny?!
Old 04-20-2015, 12:56 PM
Art ARRO
My Feedback: (5)

Joachim,
Yes I did get to visit your exhibit-after the lights were restored. Danny and I chatted for awhile and I picked up some Demon decals for my flightbox and transmitter case. I look forward to flying the Cortex in the very near future.
Rgds,
Art
Old 05-25-2015, 06:15 PM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I am going to get one of these and I just want it hold my nose straight in a variable cross wind. It seems they are permanent in my area. Its like I am coming in side ways so I apply rudder and aileron to straighten, then the wind dies and now I am cricked again. Its a lot of control input and I can do it 9 times out of 10 but that 10th one has me doing repairs!
Do I need the programing unit or not to set this up?
Old 05-25-2015, 06:44 PM
essyou35

Nevermind I bought the programmer, I thought it was out of stock, I was looking at the 1e.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:51 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Maybe this info may add something to the thread.. A friend of mine bought a giant J3 ,, guess that is 1/3 scale or something with a 100cc engine.

This plane is almost too easy to fly, but with some crosswind or even strong wind paralel to the runway the fun goes away... even being a giant scale cub the plane flies ugly in strong winds.

Then we reluctantly installed a cortex gyro, thinking that it was unnecessary but anyway we did it just for curiosity.. and what a result! This big cub now is a winner..it flies pretty much like a much bigger model, despite the wind and turbulence.like in a calm day.

Interesting to note that all the classic tail dragger technique is still needed to takeoff and land it properly, like holding left rudder while taking off, etc.. I highly recommend to anyone install a unit like this or similar in any plane,no matter if it is easy to fly, specially if it is regulary flown in windy or turbulent conditions. It just makes any plane fly nicer and safer, in my opinion.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:07 PM
essyou35

Did it come with the patch servo leads or did you have to supply your own?
Old 05-26-2015, 03:58 AM
erbroens

Originally Posted by essyou35
Did it come with the patch servo leads or did you have to supply your own?
Yes, it comes with the servo leads.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:55 AM
BarracudaHockey

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

Both come with the patch leads.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:00 AM
erbroens

Also forgot to mention.,.. in my opinion control response felt exactly the same (less intrusive is the fancy word?) when the exponential is reduced in the transmitter to 50% of the previous value ... (flying without the cortex).
Old 05-26-2015, 11:00 AM
essyou35

I hpe it doesn't make the jet more touchy like another cheapy gyro I tried on a 3d plane. It cancelled out much of my expo and it wasn't fun since I run tail heavy on that plane.

Really looking forward to not having my jet come in at a 45 degree angle. I flew for 3 years without a gyro in every wind imaginable while the doubters stayed in the ground and/or crashed. I have nothing left to prove so hoping to make it easy on myself and just enjoy it.

I'll be back with more questions.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:32 AM
BarracudaHockey

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

How touchy the jet is depends on entirely how you set your radio up.

The Demon will make it feel like you added expo so you reduce the expo when the gyro is enabled and its back to feeling how it was before, except its more stable.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:47 AM
essyou35

My gyro should be here this week. I have to figure out how I want it to work since I use an Orbit power jack. I have no choice but to run it after the power jack. There is no way to put the gyro between the Rx and the Power jack because the power jack plugs directly into the Rx.

I am not concerned about current, the only reason I use it is because I use HV servos and the futaba Rx specs out at 6V max. I am hoping its fairly plug and play and not too much dinking around. I have about 400 flights on this jet so if it has an effect I will know for sure.

The viper is stable for the most part except on cross wind landings, the long wings are subject to a lot of torque from the wind. looking forward to that going away!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.