Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Advanced Radio on board charge system

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Advanced Radio on board charge system

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 10:53 AM
JJP
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb Advanced Radio on board charge system

New innovative product from AR and Duralite. The on-board I-Charger.

https://duraliteflightsystems.com/in...product_id=536
Old 04-08-2015, 11:14 AM
Terry Holston

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought you were talking about a charger that would charge while you fly. Kinda like a car's alternator. Why carry around the charger in your plane if it won't charge while flying. I know you are talking about Giant scale planes but this is a jet forum and we are trying to keep the weight down, in most cases.......LOL
Old 04-08-2015, 11:47 AM
bluescoobydoo

more weight for no gain in anything, now if someone could come up with a on board light weight compressor I think that would sell well
Old 04-08-2015, 03:10 PM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I like it. I ordered two. One port to charge multiple packs at the same time… game on!
Old 04-08-2015, 03:17 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

The starter motor itself could double as an alternator on a turbine. Would need high speed bearings and brushless electronics that can function in both directions. If an out runner motor is used it would generate more amps to charge with. LiPos don't like a trickle charge they require their rated current. Would be a cool update and upgrade.
Nice project

Looking at this unit I have a couple concerns:

1) only 2A max current - if you have 2500 and up LiPo packs you can't charge them. You should be charging at 1C so 2.5A for example.
2) this unit is always ON - it monitors therefore it has to be figured into your pack consumption and if your running smaller than 2000mah then how long is the useful charge on your pack(s) going to be? Your going to need to charge more often.
3) What kind of on/off switch does it use? Can it totally disconnect from the battery so it's not draining when it's supposed to be off?
4) it's another onboard point of failure. If the unit has a problem does it take the battery with it? Can it isolate itself? I'd want a low amp fuse in line with it to keep it from taking out the battery pack in the event it has some kind of failure.
5) should never charge your battery packs IN the model
6) this charger style enables the customer to charge in the model AND neglect to stay and monitor charging
7) installation is critical for cooling and heat transfer to other components in the model

Last edited by Chris Nicastro; 04-08-2015 at 04:53 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:26 PM
Jetkopter

JetCat has an starter generator available on the P300/400 I think in the future you will see charging systems on the smaller turbines as well. I like the idea of the onboard charger as I use duralites on my models where its not easy to remove the batteries. One 12 volt connection seems like it would simplify things !
Old 04-08-2015, 03:33 PM
Chris Nicastro

Originally Posted by DrScoles
I like it. I ordered two. One port to charge multiple packs at the same time… game on!
I could have saved you the $400! Lol

Using the balance lead charge lead and separate power leads you could charge from one port on two packs with one external charger.
Could be two 2S packs or one 2S and one 3S or even 6 or 7 S as long as they're the same capacity.

Last edited by Chris Nicastro; 04-08-2015 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:55 AM
Tysondodd

Wow not too sure where to start with some of these comments I will simply assume that these comments have come from not understanding the product. It was on display at the recent FL Jets event and I have had the pleasure of testing the ferrets out of it.

The on board charger eliminates the multiple connections that have been using with charging my turbine jets for the last 20 years.

The unit is no bigger than a full size servo, would be lucky to weigh 50g, has a built in programming system that manages the charge rate, temp cell performance and voltage for up to 4 onboard batteries with only on power source connection in the side of your jet.

Some point:
1. If you need a onboard charger to be charging while you are flying you shouldn't be worried about the charging unit...... But why you are drawing that much power you need to charge while flying.
2. It has been ideally developed for battery chemistry and brands that have built in balance circuits. So my this I mean high end battery technology, like Durralite, booma batteries.
3. Anyone with a $10k jet is not going to install a $10 lipo, so you can keep them to yourself.
4. This unit weighs nothing and the charging does NOT occur while I are flying, SO it isn't drawing power from your circuit so u do NOT need to account for is in your battery consumption.
4. It is set to the chemistry of the battery that each charging plate is connected to and remains in the aircraft, so hopefully will also eliminate pilots selecting the wrong chemistry of battery with multiple planes

My VIper is fitted with the unit and works great. My big F86 is fitted with the unit and my other 9 turbine jets will now be fitted with the units.
Old 04-09-2015, 02:35 AM
rickgell

Hi Gents,

Many thanks to Chris and other for their words. I feel these words were posted to prompt the facts to be presented by the I Charger designer so here we go...

The I Charger was designed as a direct result of discussion with Duralite Flight Systems and requests by turbine pilots. In March we took the prototype to Florida Jets mounted in out demonstration Viper piloted by Tyson Dodd. I don't recall one pilot at FJ that saw the product that did not think it was a good idea.

Now to answer some questions and provide a few facts.
1) Yes a lighter model is better. This is a proven fact. I have been in RC modelling for 42 year now so I know from experience that lighter is better. I had the pleasure of QuiQue Somenzine leaving his thrust vectoring Typhoon model in our tent at Florida Jets in March. I was astounded at the light weight of QuiQue's model when compared to other models at the FJ meet.
OK, The I Charger weighs in at 2.9oz. In a turbine model weighing on average at around 30lb - 39Ib the charger is 1/165th to 1/215th of the overall weight of the model. Your selection of batteries would have far more impact on the overall weight of the model.

2) Only 2A current max. Granted that some/most LiPo chemistry batteries will reach full capacity at a 1C Charge. I ask you to measure the capacity draw on your turbine model and see how little is actually drawn per flight. Most turbine pilots that use large capacity batteries do so for ballast. The I Charger is designed to charge LiFe, Lion and Lipo batteries. We provide 1000's of batteries for the RC fraternity and the Life chemistry is about 20 to 1 more popular for receiver batteries than Lipo these days. I personally would not use a LiPo battery in any high valued model because of the volatility of the chemistry. Most turbine pilots are buying higher capacity LiFe Batteries so the I Charger with 2800 to 4200mAh batteries (for ballast) is from our experience the norm.

3) The Unit (I Charger) is always on. It actually is not. It is only in an on state and monitoring battery charge when connected to a 12 volt power supply. Just like a normal battery charger. Without 12 volts connected it presents as a 40uA load to the connected battery. To give you an idea, connected to a 3000mAh battery this would equate to around 75000 hours or 3125 days or 8.5 years to discharge the battery. You are not going to need to charge more often and anyhow, how hard is it to simply plug in a 12v car supply?

4) What kind of on/off switch does it use? It uses a 12 volt DC charging supply as the on ON/OFF switch. You simply connect 12 volts DC to start the charge process. I know this is a new concept to RC but it has been around for years in solar chargers and used every day in traffic signals etc. The I Charger, when 12 volts connected acts as a battery charger. When 12 volts is disconnected it is OFF drawing 40uA.

5) It's another on-board point of failure. Hmm, no it isn't. Without power connected (in normal flight conditions) it is a non functioning circuit with an equivalent 20.5 Meg Ohm resistive load. In my 38 years of electronics I am yet to see a 20.5 Meg ohm load cause a battery to fail.

6) Should never charge your batteries in the model. I totally agree in principle and someone should have told most of the pilots that attended Florida Jets to remove their batteries while charging. Fact is, I observed nearly all pilots charging their receiver batteries in the model. If you are using LiPo batteries I would say, don't charge in the model and never leave them unattended. Personally, ifyou are using LiPo I advise you to change the battery type to LiFe, a safer chemistry. LiPo batteries are excellent for high energy usage like electric flight but there are better choices for receiver batteries in very expensive turbine models these days. Fact is that many pilots are using LiFe now and in 7 years I have not been able to cause a chemistry fire while destruction testing LiFe batteries.

7) This charger style enables the customer to charge in the model AND neglect to stay and monitor charging. Come on guys, all chargers enable the user to charge in the model AND neglect to stay and monitor charging. Please let me know of a charger that knows your batteries are still in the model and will refuse to start the charge cycle.

8) Installation is critical for cooling and heat transfer to other components. Gents I have tested the I Charger design for 18 months now and while air flow and placement is a positive point to maximize charge current it is in no way critical. With respect to heat transfer to other components. lets me say this. Please don't mount your components near your turbine. This would have a far larger impact on electronic components in your model than I Charger.

Thanks for taking the time to read my rambling notes.

Rick Gell
boomarc.com
advanced-radio.com
Old 04-09-2015, 03:06 AM
rickgell

Chris, sorry this is potential dangerous misinformation. Unless you totally disconnect the packs for any circuitry i.e. receivers etc. here is what will happen. Connecting multiple packs through a single balance lead on a standard charger while both packs are connected to the receiver is going to present a short circuit on one of the packs. DON'T DO IT. With LiPo chemistry a fire may result. If you want to try this form of charging then you must COMPLETELY REMOVE the packs from the model and any associated electrical circuitry.

Chris I urge you to please send me send me a PM with your engineering proof of this concept.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:38 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bluescoobydoo
more weight for no gain in anything, now if someone could come up with a on board light weight compressor I think that would sell well
Exsactly what I was thinking when I say the title, no more worring about possable air leaks. LOL
Old 04-09-2015, 06:48 AM
JJP

Just another point guys, on board charging may not be for everyone but this little efficient charger will work as well in your flight box when you are at events or just out for a full days flying or on your work bench. Personally at that weight and size it will be a part of my next build. I was just putting my A-10 pilot back in the plane and in light of this discussion weighed him. 10.0 oz. That little guy needs to be on a diet!
Old 04-09-2015, 08:55 AM
DrScoles

Sorry, Chris, the money savings is a poor example. We throw money at these things with all our little gadgets and shiny little trinkets to make them pretty, this device actually simplifies the charging process and I am all for that. Just knowing I can come home, plug a power supply to the plane and go in the house is cool. My Mustang and Corsair have four packs. Just going back and forth plugging in leads is worth the $200 per plane.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:24 AM
Terry Holston

My reasoning for charging while I am flying is the same as driving my car and charging the car battery while I am driving, I don't ever have to charge it again, it keeps a full charge at all times. NOW wouldn't that be great? (Just remember to charge your transmitter before you go out to fly.) And buy some fuel.................
Old 04-09-2015, 11:40 AM
Chris Nicastro

You guys didn't get my point and that's fine. I too have these expensive toys so I'm not just pulling this out of my arse I used to design these products and RC vehicles. My point of view is from product design and experience with the LiPo factories directly.

Happy landings!
Old 04-10-2015, 12:15 AM
rickgell

Hi Gents,

Many thanks to Chris and other for their words. I feel these words were posted to prompt the facts to be presented by the I Charger designer so here we go...

The I Charger was designed as a direct result of discussion with Duralite Flight Systems and requests by turbine pilots. In March we took the prototype to Florida Jets mounted in out demonstration Viper piloted by Tyson Dodd. I don't recall one pilot at FJ that saw the product that did not think it was a good idea.

Now to answer some questions and provide a few facts.
1) Yes a lighter model is better. This is a proven fact. I have been in RC modelling for 42 year now so I know from experience that lighter is better. I had the pleasure of QuiQue Somenzine leaving his thrust vectoring Typhoon model in our tent at Florida Jets in March. I was astounded at the light weight of QuiQue's model when compared to other models at the FJ meet.
OK, The I Charger weighs in at 2.9oz. In a turbine model weighing on average at around 30lb - 39Ib the charger is 1/165th to 1/215th of the overall weight of the model. Your selection of batteries would have far more impact on the overall weight of the model.

2) Only 2A current max. Granted that some/most LiPo chemistry batteries will reach full capacity at a 1C Charge. I ask you to measure the capacity draw on your turbine model and see how little is actually drawn per flight. Most turbine pilots that use large capacity batteries do so for ballast. The I Charger is designed to charge LiFe, Lion and Lipo batteries. We provide 1000's of batteries for the RC fraternity and the Life chemistry is about 20 to 1 more popular for receiver batteries than Lipo these days. I personally would not use a LiPo battery in any high valued model because of the volatility of the chemistry. Most turbine pilots are buying higher capacity LiFe Batteries so the I Charger with 2800 to 4200mAh batteries (for ballast) is from our experience the norm.

3) The Unit (I Charger) is always on. It actually is not. It is only in an on state and monitoring battery charge when connected to a 12 volt power supply. Just like a normal battery charger. Without 12 volts connected it presents as a 40uA load to the connected battery. To give you an idea, connected to a 3000mAh battery this would equate to around 75000 hours or 3125 days or 8.5 years to discharge the battery. You are not going to need to charge more often and anyhow, how hard is it to simply plug in a 12v car supply?

4) What kind of on/off switch does it use? It uses a 12 volt DC charging supply as the on ON/OFF switch. You simply connect 12 volts DC to start the charge process. I know this is a new concept to RC but it has been around for years in solar chargers and used every day in traffic signals etc. The I Charger, when 12 volts connected acts as a battery charger. When 12 volts is disconnected it is OFF drawing 40uA.

5) It's another on-board point of failure. Hmm, no it isn't. Without power connected (in normal flight conditions) it is a non functioning circuit with an equivalent 20.5 Meg Ohm resistive load. In my 38 years of electronics I am yet to see a 20.5 Meg ohm load cause a battery to fail.

6) Should never charge your batteries in the model. I totally agree in principle and someone should have told most of the pilots that attended Florida Jets to remove their batteries while charging. Fact is, I observed nearly all pilots charging their receiver batteries in the model. If you are using LiPo batteries I would say, don't charge in the model and never leave them unattended. Personally, ifyou are using LiPo I advise you to change the battery type to LiFe, a safer chemistry. LiPo batteries are excellent for high energy usage like electric flight but there are better choices for receiver batteries in very expensive turbine models these days. Fact is that many pilots are using LiFe now and in 7 years I have not been able to cause a chemistry fire while destruction testing LiFe batteries.

7) This charger style enables the customer to charge in the model AND neglect to stay and monitor charging. Come on guys, all chargers enable the user to charge in the model AND neglect to stay and monitor charging. Please let me know of a charger that knows your batteries are still in the model and will refuse to start the charge cycle.

8) Installation is critical for cooling and heat transfer to other components. Gents I have tested the I Charger design for 18 months now and while air flow and placement is a positive point to maximize charge current it is in no way critical. With respect to heat transfer to other components. lets me say this. Please don't mount your components near your turbine. This would have a far larger impact on electronic components in your model than I Charger.

Thanks for taking the time to read my rambling notes.

Rick Gell
boomarc.com
advanced-radio.com
Old 04-10-2015, 12:20 AM
Turbotronic

Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro
You guys didn't get my point and that's fine. I too have these expensive toys so I'm not just pulling this out of my arse I used to design these products and RC vehicles. My point of view is from product design and experience with the LiPo factories directly.

Happy landings!
Most practical of all the gizmos sometimes offered. Should have come up with that myself...
Old 05-08-2015, 04:46 AM
DrScoles

Got two of these in the mail yesterday, pretty slick. Still will have to pull a lipo out of each plane, but the three A123 packs will be charged all at once, that is nice. Pretty small footprint as well. :-)
Old 05-08-2015, 07:46 AM
lightningmcnulty
My Feedback: (11)

Are you saying that charging a lipo battery at 1/2c is bad for the battery or won't work somehow?

these look great, I think I will put one in my large Yak 130
Old 05-08-2015, 07:48 AM
DrScoles

No, I'm saying I almost burned my house down with a lipo a long time ago and will not do it anywhere but in the metal box I charge them in or at the field out of the airplane. It's all fun and games until your hobby makes you homeless… Plus, my wife would probably kill me, so I'll just stick to charging them in a safe place.
Old 05-08-2015, 02:54 PM
Chris Nicastro

Originally Posted by lightningmcnulty
Are you saying that charging a lipo battery at 1/2c is bad for the battery or won't work somehow?

these look great, I think I will put one in my large Yak 130
Correct.
These batteries are designed to be charged at 1C unless otherwise specified by the manufacturer. Likewise do not charge at 2C or higher unless specified.
The charge process should never cause the batteries to warm up, LiPo's as a family of battery chemistry, charge at room temp.
Over charging and trickle charging can be and have proven to be dangerous and terminal to this type. Just like the rest of the battery types out there have parameters but at least with the LiPo you have ample warning before total exothermic failure.

Thats why it's best to charge ANY battery pack out of the model. That's also why I'm not of fan of products that enable lazyness or carelessness on the part of the customer because I have dealt with the customer service side of these calls. It's NEVER the customers fault somehow, the product failed. Riiiggghht
The failure rate on LiPo battery production from a reputable company is less than 1% over thousands of units sold. Yet somehow you get the one guy who has three bad battery packs?!?

Last edited by Chris Nicastro; 05-08-2015 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-09-2015, 03:13 PM
lightningmcnulty
My Feedback: (11)

Ah ok cool, I only use LiFe batteries now anyway but I don't know if its the same situation there or not.

I have yet to see a battery that was not miss used have an Issue other than just needing replacing, not to say that it doesn't happen I just haven't seen it I guess thats what make us complacent.