Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Xicoy CG machine delivery update.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Xicoy CG machine delivery update.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 04:14 PM
patrnflyr
My Feedback: (7)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This is going to sound really dumb but I need to ask this. What happens for trailing link LG, especially planes like the F-18 and T-45? I'd like to get one of these but started thinking about what this gear would do to the calculations.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:38 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

It was mentioned already, my Avanti is like so I will be reading up to see what needs to be changed.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:51 PM
Len
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as I can see the trailing link issue makes no difference to the CG machine. The point at which the wheel/tire touches the transducer is the projected point of support of the airframe. In other words it is the supporting position of the transducer that matters not what it supports. To take this to the absurd you could put a solid trailing link 3 feet long behind the plane and still the point where the transducer supports that trailing link becomes the measuring position. This is all about moment arms, not just the weights measured. To simplify: if you have the main wheels' axles 2" behind the strut center then you would measure the length to the CG, nose wheel support point (axle), and weight addition positions, from the 2" behind the main strut position. I hope this helps...
Len
Old 05-01-2015, 06:16 AM
spike5150

From the other thread:

Originally Posted by Mark Vandervelden Hi Justin
It dose not matter how the struts are configured the relevant measurements are from were the load is supported buy the three sensors in relation to the expected CG.

Yes. Positions must be projected on the fuselage longitudinal axis.
Oli. Utimate Jets, Weatronic USA.
Old 05-02-2015, 02:32 AM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Len
As far as I can see the trailing link issue makes no difference to the CG machine. The point at which the wheel/tire touches the transducer is the projected point of support of the airframe. In other words it is the supporting position of the transducer that matters not what it supports. To take this to the absurd you could put a solid trailing link 3 feet long behind the plane and still the point where the transducer supports that trailing link becomes the measuring position. This is all about moment arms, not just the weights measured. To simplify: if you have the main wheels' axles 2" behind the strut center then you would measure the length to the CG, nose wheel support point (axle), and weight addition positions, from the 2" behind the main strut position. I hope this helps...
Len
I recommend using a laser level and get the beam to pass by the contact point of the main gear tire on the scale.
The intersection with the laser beam to the longitudinal axis is the base measurement point.
The accuracy of this point will be the width of the laser beam. Usually about 0.5 mm.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:36 AM
olnico

Dear all.
We received another batch of machines and cleared up our back order.
We have a few left in stock.
The next batch should come in time for Hotter Than Hell.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:53 PM
patrnflyr

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

One thing that I've noticed that's very frustrating-- the CG's given by a lot of kit manufacturers are bogus or at least a starting point. It would be really nice to make a "sticky" with ACCURATE and confirmed CG points that we all could use for the various models. Not just opinions. Something that a consensus of pilots agree on. I know it would be difficult but if it could be done, very helpful. Something as simple as a single thread with lists of different kits with CG in inches or mm and the datum point. What do you think?
Doesn't do much good to have an uber accurate CG machine if the CG measurement is bogus... Just a thought to put out there. JJ

(and yes, I'd love to have your machine!)
Old 06-08-2015, 05:14 PM
mort78
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by patrnflyr
One thing that I've noticed that's very frustrating-- the CG's given by a lot of kit manufacturers are bogus or at least a starting point. It would be really nice to make a "sticky" with ACCURATE and confirmed CG points that we all could use for the various models. Not just opinions. Something that a consensus of pilots agree on. I know it would be difficult but if it could be done, very helpful. Something as simple as a single thread with lists of different kits with CG in inches or mm and the datum point. What do you think?
Doesn't do much good to have an uber accurate CG machine if the CG measurement is bogus... Just a thought to put out there. JJ

(and yes, I'd love to have your machine!)
Hey JJ,
I agree completely. The problem is, some pilots like a slightly 'different' feel. Some like more weight in the nose as it'll make the model more stable. Others might like the model to be more 'twitchy', with more weight towards the aft.
So this would probably lead to 1 aircraft being listed on here with about 10 different CofG positions. So basically, it would leave you just as confused.

I must say though, I absolutely love this product. As always, Gaspar has smashed it out of the park.
Cheers,
Morten
Old 06-09-2015, 07:42 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Yeah the manufacturer's CG location is just to get you in the air and back down in one piece, then you can adjust it to your liking.

I've not used my CG machine yet but there's a BVM F-16 downstairs that it will be real handy for....
Old 05-25-2017, 04:40 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

My Xicoy CG machine was purchased for Hobby Hanger three weeks ago. I am trying to use it and I have a few issues.
1. the weight doesn't seem to register. I know the Version on my Xicoy is not the newest one.
2.I'm going to update it as soon as I can figure out what connector plugs into the machine..
Any advice?
thank you
Old 05-25-2017, 04:48 PM
rcjetsaok

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to go to the Xicoy website and download the latest version and then put it on a Micro-SD card and put it in the slot on the terminal and then power it up and follow the instructions.

Dan

P.S. I think Dreamworks has the download also if you pull up the CG Machine on their website. You can download it from there.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:57 PM
BobH

So the Micro SD card fits in the slot? Or do I need some type of cable. USB maybe??
I have downloaded the newest version. I need to extract it since it's a Zipped file.

Last edited by BobH; 05-25-2017 at 05:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
camss69 (05-01-2021)
Old 05-25-2017, 05:08 PM
olnico

Guys, if you want to have a reliable machine out of the box, I would suggest purchasing one that is calibrated with a certificate of calibration.
This is a precision measuring instrument...

https://www.ultimate-jets.net/collec...tal-cg-machine

We are now shipping out Gen 4 with anodized scales.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:21 PM
BobH

Hopes someone can give me an answer to my problem
Thank you.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:34 PM
rcjetsaok

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BobH
Hopes someone can give me an answer to my problem
Thank you.
Just put the download on the MicroSD put in the slot and power it up..No cables.. It will auto load ( I think you have to chose update on the screen ) do not extract.. just put the whole file in there...

Dan
Old 05-25-2017, 06:37 PM
BobH

Ok,
I'll get the SD card tomorrow... thank you.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:34 PM
Gaspar

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello BobH,

I doubt that a 3 week old System has an old firmware. First check if at power-up the version displayed is the 1.4, if it is, then you have the latest version. For other issues, please contact me directly to speed-up the solution at gaspar(at)xicoy.com.

Gaspar
Old 05-26-2017, 05:34 AM
BobH

Hi Gaspar,
I can assure you that I have Version 1.3. I had the Dealer inquire about the version when I bought it.
He called the distributor in the USA and was told that the upgrade, if necessary, was easy to do.
So I'll get the micro card today and try to update.
I'll let you know how it works out.
Thank you,
bobh.
Old 04-29-2021, 05:34 AM
alexzach777
My Feedback: (25)

Default Software version?

Originally Posted by BobH
Hi Gaspar,
I can assure you that I have Version 1.3. I had the Dealer inquire about the version when I bought it.
He called the distributor in the USA and was told that the upgrade, if necessary, was easy to do.
So I'll get the micro card today and try to update.
I'll let you know how it works out.
Thank you,
bobh.
Good morning,

My current software version is 1.3
Where can I go to get the latest software version (1.4??)
Thanks!

Jeff
Old 05-01-2021, 08:19 AM
jcterrettaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

just got one
Old 05-01-2021, 09:20 AM
Rod Hart

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The update is on Xicoy. Look at the page for the cg balancer. The link is down at the bottom.

Rod