Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jet Fields in San Jose

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jet Fields in San Jose

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 03:40 AM
meps
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jet Fields in San Jose

Are there any jet fields in the San Jose, CA. area?
Steve
Old 04-17-2015, 05:15 AM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Probably won't hear from the guys til after the weekend amigo as most of them are headed to button willow for the Spring Fling. However, there are a couple fields in the area. Well....I know of one for sure and it's about an hour away.

Good luck
Old 04-17-2015, 06:31 AM
meps

Thanks
Old 04-17-2015, 06:52 AM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

You might want to bump this thread next week.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:45 AM
SushiHunter

Originally Posted by meps
Are there any jet fields in the San Jose, CA. area?
Steve
The only field in that area where you could fly a turbine jet (that I'm aware of) is at SCCMAS. But you will need to have whatever proper documents/coverage for a turbine to even fly as a guest. Also you would want to contact them to first see if turbines can be flown during this time of year. Like many fields, they only allow turbine operation during certain times of the year, due to fire danger. Also you would want to check their calendar on their site to check to see if there is a function going on during the time you plan to fly there. This will save you a drive over in case they have a special event that prevents you access to the field.

A place where many locals in the San Jose area fly their turbines is a place called Patterson, right off I-5. Supposedly it's an abandoned air strip but you can just go and fly there without being a member and whatnot.

In regards to SCCMAS that I mentioned, I've talked to turbine guys who have flown there and it's not the exact ideal spot to fly turbines because of orchard trees to one end of the field and really rough ground conditions around the strip itself. The trees cause you to have to make your final approach a bit high and then you need to loose alt to make the strip. Because of this, lot of times the plane runs out of runway and ends up going into the rough, which causes lots of issues like landing gear damage.

SCCMAS and Patterson are the only two places around the bay area that I'm aware of which can be utilized for turbine birds. Half Moon Bay a bit north of San Jose used to let turbines fly, until a member crashed his turbine and started a huge fire. They banned turbines at that place after that, even though some claim it wasn't the turbine crash that caused the fire, it was him shooting Estes rockets from the plane before the crash that caused it.

Last edited by SushiHunter; 04-17-2015 at 08:42 AM.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:02 AM
NickC5FE
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

East Bay area (Woodland Davis area) we fly turbines. Woodland Davis Aeromodelers. There are a few turbine guys in the club. Really nice field, and wide open vista. It is roughly 1.5 hours from San Jose i think.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:02 AM
NickC5FE
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

East Bay area (Woodland Davis area) we fly turbines. Woodland Davis Aeromodelers. There are a few turbine guys in the club. Really nice field, and wide open vista. It is roughly 1.5 hours from San Jose i think.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:00 AM
meps

Kool ! Thanks guys!
Steve
Old 04-17-2015, 09:08 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I fly at SCCMAS. You're welcome to fly as my guest. The runway is small at 450', but I've managed to fly a large Skymaster Hawk and ViperJet there without any problems.