Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Foam blue pink

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Foam blue pink

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 06:01 AM
RAPPTOR
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Foam blue pink

were do I find pink or blue foam to hot wire . 4 inches thick ?
Old 04-20-2015, 08:13 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

try commercial roofing supplier. Its used on big flat roofs
Old 04-20-2015, 08:38 AM
myersflyers
My Feedback: (33)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In a pinch? Just Gorrilla (Clear) glue two 2" sheet of pink or blue foam together. Works well, drys strong in 20 minutes, white in color and easy to hot wire.

Home Depot for all products
Old 04-20-2015, 11:20 AM
dbsonic
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

may depend on where you live in the US. Cooler climates might still be able to get 2" blue at HD. Out here we are lucky if we can find small pieces of 1/2" foamular at HD.
For 2" I was able to find at a specialty supplier and it was not cheap.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:04 PM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by myersflyers
In a pinch? Just Gorrilla (Clear) glue two 2" sheet of pink or blue foam together. Works well, drys strong in 20 minutes, white in color and easy to hot wire.

Home Depot for all products
================================================== ===============
I use a minimum coat of glue and try not to get where the wire will cut if possible.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:11 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck finding anything decent. The stuff from Home Depot has spots in it that are harder than the rest, none of it is a uniform thickness. The 2" pink foam around here is pre-scored so that you can snap it off to fit between studs in a wall, not a good trait in a wing. They are scored at 16", 24", and 32". You have two sections that are 16" wide, otherwise you will have a saw cut in your wing panel.
I am not sure what you end goal is, but the Hi-Load foams seem to be a bit more uniform. They are are a bit heavier and used but the sail plane guys to do bagged wings that do not get wood sheeting. The Hi-load is used under concrete floors. There are a few different densities with Hi-load 60 being the stuff the sail plane folks use.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:00 AM
ChuckC
My Feedback: (24)

In Florida, like here in Houston, you'll need to go to the roofing stuff, like stated above. It's like 30 or 36 inches by 10 feet, I think? $40 a billet.

But, go to a plastics supplier that handles foam for construction. I think I got mine from Houston Foam Plastics, if I remember right. The Dow stuff seems to be a little less prone to internal stresses which pop out when you cut them. At least I never had a problem with the stuff I bought.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:05 AM
jefff
My Feedback: (8)

American Foam Products, Painesville Ohio ph. 440-352-3434. I buy all my 4" white foam there.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:36 PM
ChuckC
My Feedback: (24)

From experience, I love the way the blue foam finishes, but the expanded bead/white stuff sure is easier and cheaper to work with.

the Dow stuff/blue foam (EPS?) is very consistent, with no hard spots and very good to work with.