Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Does anyone still fly nitro Ducted Fan anymore?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Does anyone still fly nitro Ducted Fan anymore?

Old 05-04-2015, 08:36 AM
jimm
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone still fly nitro Ducted Fan anymore?

I am curious if anyone still flies nitro Ducted Fan anymore?
Old 05-04-2015, 08:46 AM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

My grandson flies a JMP Starfire II with a Dynamax fan and OS.91. If I can get some other projects out of the way I am going to complete my JMP F-4 Phantom with twin Dynamax fans and OS .91s.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:43 AM
aquaskiman
My Feedback: (46)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why put yourself through that
The following users liked this post:
bodywerks (01-27-2020)
Old 05-04-2015, 12:38 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'll take a Nitro DF over an EDF any day. Lots of fun, loud, and can be pretty fast too.

Edit: oh yes, and they require PILOT SKILLS!
Old 05-04-2015, 01:32 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

When I have time I'll get my Byron F-16 up and running. It will have a BVM 91 in it. Biggest concern is parts for that engine. I might switch to an OS 91. On board glow, no retracts, very simple.
Its just for fun and a club jet trainer kind of plane.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:22 PM
ECalderon

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi,

I do. Avonds F-15. Never had a problem with it, never a flame out, its a fun plane to fly. For me the secret is in the engine (OS 91) break in, using fuel with enough oil, and never run it lean.

The only problem is the oil mess at the back at the end of the day. That is why I am thinking to convert to EDF.

Regards
Eduardo
Old 05-04-2015, 02:47 PM
Jet20
My Feedback: (2)

Unfortunately, glow DFs are a dying art. It's great to hear folks still enjoying it! I'm not sure that new engines or parts are even available anymore?

Chris
Old 05-04-2015, 03:12 PM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

using fuel with enough oil, and never run it lean.
That's it, right there.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:39 PM
RV6guy

I really enjoy nitro ducted fan jets. I have only used OS .91s and Ramtec fans, very reliable. I wish there would be a nitro DF meet in Ohio, I would like to attend one.
Old 05-04-2015, 05:00 PM
BalsaBob
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a Byron F16 with a Rossi in it. That plane was way ahead of its time, what a great flyer !! Starting it though, was a pain in the *****..... usually a 2-man operation.
The biggest issue/problem with nitro DFs is the vibration, no getting away from it. I think the vibration usually takes its toll on some component .... and something fails.
Bob
Old 05-04-2015, 05:13 PM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In the shop today and dug out the old SKS 2000 Superman Rally video and copied it to DVD... I actually sat there and watched it all !! Brings back a lot of memories. Ducted fans everywhere !!! BTW, all you guy's sure had a lot less miles on you back then !! Even BV running and did a hurdle jump to get his award for the F-100 !!! I'll will have it with me in the trailer next time we cross paths, come take a peek.

Cheers,

Danno
Old 05-04-2015, 05:15 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've seen the planes, seen them brought out to the field, seen them put together, seen them run but have never seen one fly. I don't know much about them but it seems that they were as challenging as any of the old antique radios I used to read about! I think you had to be part master builder, part glow engine engineer, and part magician to get it all to work together!

I would sure like to see one fly! They sound wicked!

Last edited by 049flyer; 05-04-2015 at 07:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bodywerks (01-27-2020)
Old 05-04-2015, 06:41 PM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

I wish I still had my Top Gun F15. Had a lot of fun with it. Did a 40 foot loop at an altitude of 38 feet R.I.P.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:42 PM
SeaJay
My Feedback: (6)

I have a Byron F-16 that I am trying to get going.. it has a Rossi .81 in it, would like ot go to the OS .91, or even the OS 1.00 for the extra power.. I was also looking at converting it from Fixed landing gear to a Retract system, just for the added scale looks, and for the Coolness factor.. another thing I am thinking about doing, is that my radio has a taileron function, and I think that would make the coolness factor go up even more, and well as increased maneuverability..

I am about to purchase a new canopy and cockpit set for the plane, because the old ones are in pretty bad shape!

What fuel would be good for the Rossi .81?? I know that most Rossi's use low nitro fuel, but wouldn't the DF engines need a higher nitro, just due to the need for higher RPM s? what fuels do other Rossi DF fliers use in their engines, as far as Nitro and oil content, as well as oil type, Castor, Synthetic, or a blend of the two??

Thanks, Craig.

Last edited by SeaJay; 05-04-2015 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Addl info!
Old 05-04-2015, 08:03 PM
roger.alli

Originally Posted by 049flyer
I've seen the planes, seen them brought out to the field, seen them put together, seen them run but have never seen one fly. I don't know much about them but it seems that they were as challenging as any of the old antique radios I used to read about! I think you had to be part master builder, part glow engine engineer, and part magician to get it all to work together!

I would sure like to see one fly! They sound wicked!
Check this out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YSlq3RYXJY

My friends viper, which is now 24 years old, and still going strong.. sounds fantastic pulling out of a split s..
Old 05-04-2015, 08:19 PM
70 ragtop
My Feedback: (24)

I have a few Dynamaxs, OS.91s mixture controls, pipes, and one Viojet BVM/Nelson 91 if any of you nitro junkies are interested...my nitro days are done
Old 05-04-2015, 09:09 PM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaJay
I have a Byron F-16 that I am trying to get going.. it has a Rossi .81 in it, would like ot go to the OS .91, or even the OS 1.00 for the extra power.. I was also looking at converting it from Fixed landing gear to a Retract system, just for the added scale looks, and for the Coolness factor.. another thing I am thinking about doing, is that my radio has a taileron function, and I think that would make the coolness factor go up even more, and well as increased maneuverability..

I am about to purchase a new canopy and cockpit set for the plane, because the old ones are in pretty bad shape!

What fuel would be good for the Rossi .81?? I know that most Rossi's use low nitro fuel, but wouldn't the DF engines need a higher nitro, just due to the need for higher RPM s? what fuels do other Rossi DF fliers use in their engines, as far as Nitro and oil content, as well as oil type, Castor, Synthetic, or a blend of the two??

Thanks, Craig.
Never heard of a OS 1.00? Any links?
Old 05-04-2015, 09:18 PM
icicles

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by roger.alli

My friends viper, which is now 24 years old, and still going strong.. sounds fantastic pulling out of a split s..
That brings back memories. Awesome stuff

Chris
Old 05-04-2015, 09:50 PM
dbsonic
My Feedback: (3)

Nice! That thing is crankin.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:52 PM
SeaJay
My Feedback: (6)

Drac1,

Alas, no links.. I swear I had seen one or two listed for sale on one of these forums, however, that doesn't mean that it/they was/were not incorrectly listed in the ad. I guess there is also the possibility that I was either hallucinating or wishing so hard that I saw what I wanted, and not what was actually there in front of me, maybe my "Sometimers disease" is kicking in!! If I find any real info, I will post it.

Craig.

Last edited by SeaJay; 05-04-2015 at 10:00 PM.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:09 AM
Tony Iannucelli
My Feedback: (193)

BVM Sport Shark, 1987. BVM .82 engine, "puffer pipe", air retracts, saddle tanks with header tank. We lost the runway and I sold the plane. I'm sure it flew. All up weight was 14 pounds. I had a Byron Mig as well. I think the Violett Electras are the way to go. Pretty much the same airframe visually.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ViolettEngineBay.jpg
Views:	1122
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	2094007   Click image for larger version

Name:	Violettad.JPG
Views:	1242
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	2094008  
Old 05-05-2015, 04:06 AM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by roger.alli

Roger-

Thanks for the super cool video. That engine is screaming!
Old 05-05-2015, 04:46 AM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks, Craig.
Craig,

Dump the Rossi .81 of you can get your hands on the O.S..91... The Rossi are great strong engines, but that engine is a needling nightmare, especially being upside down the the Byron 16... If your stuck with it, use 5% nitro 18-20 Castor or Blend but not straight Synthetic. If you get you hands on the O.S. .91 we found the after years of trying all fuels we could, they seem to like a 10% nitro with 18-20 oil, Blend.. The O.S. .91 on Dynamax Fan, JMP pipe, Pitot pressure, hands down work best withe Ritche's Brew 10% Nitro 11/11 oil. Randy Rich will know exactly what you need if you say 10% - 11/11 D.F. Fuel. 11% Castor, 11% Synthetic. That combo with the BVM inflight mixture valve is awesome !! Good luck, starting t get the itch again. Time to show up at the events and fly some airplanes that make that "Noise" that makes everybody look and shake there head !!! LOL.

Cheers,
Danno
Old 05-05-2015, 05:31 AM
jescardin

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I do.

I have a PJP Eurofighter (Ramtec/OS 91DF) kit to finish and an unbuilt german He 162 Salamander kit (Turbax II/OS 75DF) which I intend using during summer turbine ban at mi flying field.

Best Regards,

Jesus Cardin
Old 05-05-2015, 05:53 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Drac1,

Alas, no links.. I swear I had seen one or two listed for sale on one of these forums, however, that doesn't mean that it/they was/were not incorrectly listed in the ad. I guess there is also the possibility that I was either hallucinating or wishing so hard that I saw what I wanted, and not what was actually there in front of me, maybe my "Sometimers disease" is kicking in!! If I find any real info, I will post it.

Craig.
No, no OS 1.00. The popular 1.00 was the K&B and it was a POS.

I never had a DF flameout in the air, and kept it down to two winning combinations: OS .91/Ramtec (Dynamax was great too!)/JMP II pipe, and BVM .91/Viofan/Weston Pipe

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.