Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jet show or not a jet show ?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jet show or not a jet show ?

Old 05-10-2015, 05:13 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

Yes, many an event dies an abandoned death between a club member raising their hand and suggesting an event, and a call for someone to do the work required to run that event.
Old 05-10-2015, 05:21 PM
Joe Westrich
My Feedback: (95)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No joke...

If you got someone willing to put in time to promote anything at your club you should close your mouth and clap your hands. Too many idea makers and not enough people doing something. If you can't do ...at least support the people that can.

Last edited by Joe Westrich; 05-10-2015 at 06:47 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:27 AM
bonehead2434
My Feedback: (179)

joe ,,Im not mad anymore and clearly you are unable to understand to stop drawing lines . Events suffer from it and so does the hobby
Old 05-11-2015, 03:47 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think flying a turbine jet at a EDF event would simply take the attention away from the EDF jets.

My opinion
Old 05-11-2015, 04:34 AM
flyloose

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

YAWN
I don't mean to be rude but seriously....Such a waste of energy this thread is
Old 05-11-2015, 04:42 AM
essyou35

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

It makes sense to have an EDF fun fly. Sadly, most of the EDF I see these days are foam. Its getting harder to find a fiberglass EDF and the choices are limited. I have several HET jets and every single one of them are harder to fly than my turbines, but they are smaller too so they fly in a smaller pattern.

I'm fortunate in my area I'm the only one who flies jets at the club so I am welcomed at nearly any event because seeing a turbine is so rare in my area the past couple years.

Also make sure you are not being a jerk off "This is SERIOUS" jet guy type. I hate those guys, we are grown men playing with toys, go take ***** enlargement pills or self esteem improvement classes, we don't need that at EDF fun flies or any non jet event for that matter.

I found that by flying EDF and a mixture of RC, and letting my fellow RC people touch my jets and be part of it I tend to be welcomed at any event with my jet, and in many cases, requested.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:08 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

you poor little turbine jet flyers just because you think your hot does not mean u have to be at a electric contest
Old 05-11-2015, 06:18 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by bonehead2434
...OK as long as ive been flying i know for a fact turbine came first ...
Hate to tell you this bonehead but trubines did not come first in the rRC world. For years and years jets were powered by piston powered ducted fans. Even back then, however, there were electric powered units. It was the advent of better performing batteries and low cost, small size power electronics that brought EDF to where it is today. Even after turbines came out in Europe they were not allowed here in the US. And quite frankly with the reckless behaviour of some jet pilots and the never-ending "make it bigger" mantra some of us wish it had never been made legal.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:33 AM
70 ragtop
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think he means when he says "turbines came first" is that turbine fliers take precedence over the toy like EDF fliers

What a sad thread, you should consider yourselves lucky to have such a great place to fly. Whining about Bob and others putting such a great event together,, just because you can't fly your turbine for one weekend is just sad. Want to fly, bring an EDF
Old 05-11-2015, 07:16 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Why would anyone want to fly a turbine at a EDF jet event? I like the idea of separating them. Turbines and EDF's are very different (both have their +/-) and there are only a hand full of EDF jets that can keep up with Turbines in the air. Most are foamies and turbines are a hazard flying around foamies. I think it's a good idea to restrict the event to exclude turbines. Unless you have an e-bandit or something similar the two are like mixing oil and water together.

Moreover, I like the idea of an event that focuses on EDF jets because I would really like to see a point where SCALE jets could fly EDF for 10 min flights. I know some guys who would dump their turbines in a second if that happened. I wouldn't lol because I still love the smell, sound and scale effect of a turbine scale jet. But I would fall into the crowd of flyers who would enjoy having the accessability of such. That is why I'm a sucker for the latest greatest EDF foamie scale jet. To me it's just a natural extension of the hobby.

But right now the two really don't mix very well.

Cheers to all and Enjoy what you got! lol.
Andy
Old 05-11-2015, 08:15 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

joe ,,Im not mad anymore and clearly you are unable to understand to stop drawing lines . Events suffer from it and so does the hobby
As far as I'm concerned this "drawing lines" nonsense is just a bunch of middle school playground BS. I have seen first hand where a number of friends that fly EDFs have shown up to watch at a jet rally and when I asked them why don't they fly, they simply said they don't feel comfortable flying their Habu 32 while someone else is flying an expensive turbine powered model. From what I can see, this is intended to be an event where the EDF guys will feel comfortable participating rather than having what would appear to them to be just another jet rally where they wouldn't feel comfortable flying. Just because someone does something specifically for someone else, it doesn't mean their intent was to exclude you.

Wayne
Old 05-11-2015, 08:29 AM
jfetter

If you take away the "EDF only" requirement and allow turbines then some of the EDF pilots won't come, it's that simple. They just want an event to celebrate EDF jets and everything that comes along with them and it wouldn't be the same with turbines flying overhead. When you are out flying smaller electrics and an IMAC plane goes up you can't hear your electric plane and you are now very aware of the much larger plane in the same area as your own. Electric jets are very similar and spending a weekend enjoying the quiet with no fumes is enjoyable to many an electric pilot. We don't have many events but we do appreciate those that do exist...

Jack
Old 05-11-2015, 08:35 AM
BarracudaHockey

I had my Habu in the truck while I was at Florida Jets.

It never occurred to me to try to fly it with a flight line full of turbines. If Bob's event was within any kind of reasonable drive I'd be there in a heartbeat. In fact, he inspired me so I may work on getting an EDF South going next fall
Old 05-11-2015, 08:53 AM
basimpsn

EDF VS TURBINE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqZbpDxty38
Old 05-11-2015, 01:00 PM
bonehead2434

thanks i havent seen that video,,hate to see that happen ,,to anyone
Old 05-11-2015, 01:22 PM
bonehead2434

Im over it ! you guys have fun at the meet enjoy yourselves ! Bob i wish you luck ! Ill deal with some issues that were overlooked at our club nextime and keep this hobby fun and the politics out .
Old 05-11-2015, 01:28 PM
bonehead2434

Your right Andy
Old 05-11-2015, 04:45 PM
oliveDrab

Originally Posted by flyloose
YAWN
I don't mean to be rude but seriously....Such a waste of energy this thread is
I agree with Yoda.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:04 PM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This will be an awesome jet show IMHO. Electric jets really open up model jets to most everyone. But yeah, sure, the high end electric jets can do just about most of what a turbine can do too at the cost of complexity and specialization. It's a very diverse crowd at an electric jet event. I can see why they want to keep the "accessibility" of the event open to the entry level crowd as well as give the higher end guys a place to shine... show off the new technology and performance in an environment where that sort of thing is appreciated.

Turbine power has my heart strings and I love flying turbines. I love jet rallies with more turbine jets than you can shake a stick at. But if I want to get my geek on with electric jets, and all the specialty stuff involved with that, I prefer to do it at a dedicated electric jet event. I love EDF, it's a lot of fun. Can be as plug and play as you like or as experimental and bleeding edge as you want. It's one of the places where the heavy creativity and brain power in model aviation plays these days. I wish I could make it to this event, it will be world class in every way.

Last edited by Eddie P; 05-11-2015 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:15 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by oliveDrab
I agree with Yoda.
Agree you do, I am lol.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:39 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

at my club we dont allow turbines>> so thats not a big deal we got 50 members and dont want to loose the field in case of a fire from a crash>>if you men who fly turbines think your so good get a field for youeself>>
Old 05-12-2015, 07:02 AM
BarracudaHockey

I've heard that attitude before. But I've never seen an electric model hit and catch fire from bursting the LiPo.....oh wait, yes i have, several times.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:13 AM
basimpsn

Originally Posted by [email protected]
at my club we dont allow turbines>> so thats not a big deal we got 50 members and dont want to loose the field in case of a fire from a crash>>if you men who fly turbines think your so good get a field for youeself>>
Do I detect a little jealousy? wow! sometime It's best to research rc clubs before joining them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9mcNvOGKtI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD0-2CaRDJk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwbDhC21N5U

Last edited by basimpsn; 05-12-2015 at 07:18 AM.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:40 AM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Turbine bans suck but there are some fields where it may not be a great mix. In areas with turbine bans there can still be a careless attitude in electric flying about fire. The one thing that allows this attitude to proliferate (besides fire for any type of RC model being extremely rare including turbine) - is the fact that lipo fires are mostly contained in a small area. They do not cover a wide area with sudden flammable sprayed liquid that can get a class A fire started and sustained very quickly. Typically, lipo fires are very localized (even if intense) and do not spread rapidly enough on their own to cause a sudden uncontrollable situation on most surfaces when observers have eyes on the crash site and get to it rapidly. Of course, if they crash in a dry overgrown grassy field... or area with a lot of fuel available... or in an unseen location (fly away) they will create the same hazard as a turbine crash, maybe more of a hazard actually. For that reason I still carry a fire extinguisher in my Yukon even if my turbines are at home. Just in case my electric causes an issue.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:08 AM
BarracudaHockey

I always have a fire extinguisher and first aid kit available when flying anything. It's better to have it and never need it than to need it and wish you had it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.