Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Sebart Mini Avanti w/ K45 build thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Sebart Mini Avanti w/ K45 build thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 02:03 AM
raydar

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Aussie1
I have some hat-cam videos of it flying with the K30, but not worth showing. One day, I'll get someone to film a flight properly, but all I can say is that the power/weight ratio with the K30 is perfect! I like experimenting, and while it is way overpowered with the K45, it flies well, but feels heavy, because it is. It is a full 1.2 kgs heavier at take-off with the K45 compared to the K30, and same wing, so you get nothing for free!!

Aussie you convinced me on the k30/avanti combo, as you know I have a couple k30's and put one in foam. Never fancied this airframe due to retract woes on grass and short fields but lately getting reports (local dealer just put one together) of k30 and avanti coming in at 3.3kg dry with jp gear upgrade. At 1400mm ish wingspan that is bang on the money for my local grass fields and flying skills. X45 sitting here to so of it lacks (won't for me) have a plan b.

Last edited by raydar; 07-13-2019 at 02:17 AM.
Old 07-13-2019, 02:17 AM
Aussie1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by raydar
Aussie you convinced me on the k30/avanti combo, as you know I have a couple k30's and put one in foam. Never fancied this airframe due to retract woes on grass and short fields but lately getting reports (local dealer just put one together) of k30 and avanti coming in at 3.3kg dry. At 1400mm wingspan that is bang on the money for my local grass fields and flying skills. X45 sitting here to so of it lacks (won't for me) have a plan b.
Yes , we do seem to follow the same path regarding micro turbines. Interestingly enough, my favorite jets are both fibreglass construction being the Avanti/K30 and the Savex L39/K45. The K45 for me is the game changer due to its power/weight ratio.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:54 AM
1moparman1
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys I have the Tamjets struts that will make your Avanti fly off of grass
check my website bajahobbyusa.com
or email me at [email protected]
Old 08-11-2019, 06:47 AM
LewisE1

Just finished converting my avanti to the xicoy 45, couple of questions

any problems with the standard servos ? With the loading of the faster speeds ?

my c of g is about 135mm this turbine is so light, will test fly at that,

i have been using the standard retracts on edf no problems off grass, but have the jp to fit still, don’t see any issues with the standards ??

Any my thoughts on the above
Old 08-11-2019, 06:50 PM
caliber90

My X45 powered Avanti has done over 20 flights, so far very good.

I don't know what "standard servos" you refer to. I put Futaba HV servos in my avanti. I use 2 Optipower LiPo 1450 2S packs, one for radio, another one for turbine. I am looking to try 850 2S packs to make it lighter, since my Avanti consumes <200mAH each per flight.

My planes take-off and landing on asphalt so I can't comment on the struts off grass. The standard retracts has stiffer spring rate compared to JP upgrade struts. With standard struts in a hard landing always results in bending the pins in the struts ( which is good because they take the shock load, and second, it is easy to replace the pins), but a harder landing will damage the wood structure in the wings. My Mini Avanti are all replaced with the JP upgrade struts, which have softer spring rate, more effective in absorbing shock loads.

Last edited by caliber90; 08-11-2019 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:53 AM
LewisE1

Thanks for the info, so test flew mine today, flies great, pretty fast with the xicoy, not to sure how the airframe will hold up to too much fast flying, but most of the time 1/2 throttle is more than enough, my c of g at 135 ish mm behind the leading edge is pretty nose heavy so I need to move that back for sure, but a great little jet
Old 08-25-2019, 09:49 PM
Aussie1

Hi guys, Iv'e had a few flights with the X45 engine, and it is much nicer to fly with the lighter X45 engine! I think that the jet lost 1.2kgs in TOW for the same engine thrust. Here is a hatcam video that gives you an idea of the performance.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:15 AM
why_fly_high
My Feedback: (19)

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi guys, Iv'e had a few flights with the X45 engine, and it is much nicer to fly with the lighter X45 engine! I think that the jet lost 1.2kgs in TOW for the same engine thrust. Here is a hatcam video that gives you an idea of the performance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gwl0nuxLnY
That much weight would make a huge difference. What else did you do to reduce weight. Taking the k45 out completely would not make up that weight difference.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:48 PM
Aussie1

Smaller batteries and a huge difference between the two engines, plus a small amount of lead was removed that wasn't needed. I think that you may agree that the performance is outstanding!
Old 08-27-2019, 06:42 PM
caliber90

Nice flight and nice field. What are the capacity of batteries on board?

Mine is with X45 and the performance is great, only that my TOW is no where near 4.2kg.
Old 08-28-2019, 03:11 PM
Aussie1

Originally Posted by caliber90
Nice flight and nice field. What are the capacity of batteries on board?

Mine is with X45 and the performance is great, only that my TOW is no where near 4.2kg.
Yes, our club field is perfect for flying jets as the the runway was put in specifically for that purpose, and over the years, has hosted many National jet meets. The grass runway is also excellent, so certainly a asset to have. I use a 1200ma 2s 70c LiPo for the ECU and a 1400ma 3s for the RX. Looking at the turbine comparison chart in RC Jet magazine, the weight of a K45 versus a P20 with 5 minutes fuel is about 1kg versus 1.9kg. The X45 is slightly lighter than the P20, so yet another small weight saving, plus my juice bottle tank is very light. Changing to a light single wall pipe, removing lead and using small batteries has resulted in a very light jet. The weight explanation was for Why Fly High, but the X45/ Mini Avanti is indeed a perfect small turbine jet combination. My other X45 is in a Savex L39, and it flies just as nice as the Avanti!
Old 08-28-2019, 07:56 PM
caliber90

Thanks for sharing.

I use 1450 2S LiPo for both Rx and turbine. Both consume less than 200mAh each flight, with the one for turbine consumes slightly less. I was wondering why not combine the 2 into 1 battery for both?

Another question is what clunk you are using in the tank that is reliable enough to get rid of the UAT?

I have 2 flights yesterday with my X45 powered Mini Avanti. First was good as usual. The second one had flame out at around 1 minute after take off. No white smoke trail from the tail and at ground check, no bubble found in the fuel line. I then did full throttle test and a few taxi run, no abnormal sign found. the Accel and decal has been set to SLOW when I first got the engine. I did not enable the auto restart feature. Don't know how to further diagnose the problem.
Old 08-28-2019, 08:27 PM
Aussie1

Not sure why you had a flameout, but I don't use a trap tank, especially on the micro turbines. They only sip fuel, but I use a Honda felt clunk from a brush cutter, and try to minimize the use of Festo fittings. Touch wood, but have never had a flameout with the X45! I prefer two batteries, as I can monitor consumption from two seperate systems, so maybe that gives me a bit of redundancy. As a Airline Pilot, I guess I'm used to always having at least two seperate systems for everything!
Old 09-28-2019, 03:26 AM
Rich Few

Hi Guys
To save me trawling through this thread, what is the consensus on the best fuel tank and thrust tube for the X45 in the Avanti. Not wanting to spend on a composite tank !
I have the engine on order and converting mine from EDF.
Thanks, Richard
Old 09-28-2019, 04:03 AM
Aussie1

I use a one litre juice bottle tank and it's good for 8-10 minutes. My tube is a Grummania 50mm pipe and it seems to be perfect. I posted a video earlier and I guess that it gives you a idea of how it goes. Pretty impressive setup and definitely one of my favorite jets!!
Old 09-28-2019, 11:26 AM
Rich Few

Thanks Aussie, seen your video and very impressive. Might go the bottle route for the tank. Is your pipe single or double wall ?
Old 09-28-2019, 01:06 PM
Ian Rowe

Richard
I originally had a single wall tube in my avanti but found the rear fuzz was getting too hot so
i changed it to a double wall and that solved the problem
Old 09-28-2019, 02:33 PM
Aussie1

Originally Posted by Rich Few
Thanks Aussie, seen your video and very impressive. Might go the bottle route for the tank. Is your pipe single or double wall ?
This pipe is for a P20/K30 which is what I originally had in my Avanti before I put my K45 big can engine in it. It flew very well with the old K45 but was quite heavy. I then fitted my new X45 into it, losing almost 30% of it's total weight for the same power output, making it the perfect combination! The 50mm Grummania pipe is the same as the smaller K30 pipe by having only dual wall in the rear because of critical stab install area and of course, the fin. These pics show the K30 pipe, for comparison, and were designed especially for the Sebart Avanti. The Freewing foam Avanti doesn't need dual wall because you can line the duct with aluminium tape.

K30 size pipe
Old 09-30-2019, 06:49 AM
Helijet

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Seems the kit has been sold out everwhere for some time. Anyone know when the next production run might be available?

thx
dw
Old 09-30-2019, 07:12 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is still available in Europe. I don’t know if the shops here bought more stock or have been re-supplied, but I suspect the latter.

My uninformed guess is that, if they are out of stock in the USA, it might be more of a distribution problem than a production issue.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:20 AM
Helijet

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I suspect your right.
Thanks for the info!

Dean W.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:14 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

SebArt USA either has or is soon getting stock in the US
Old 09-30-2019, 10:03 AM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

This pipe is for a P20/K30 which is what I originally had in my Avanti before I put my K45 big can engine in it. It flew very well with the old K45 but was quite heavy. I then fitted my new X45 into it, losing almost 30% of it's total weight for the same power output, making it the perfect combination! The 50mm Grummania pipe is the same as the smaller K30 pipe by having only dual wall in the rear because of critical stab install area and of course, the fin. These pics show the K30 pipe, for comparison, and were designed especially for the Sebart Avanti. The Freewing foam Avanti doesn't need dual wall because you can line the duct with aluminium tape.

K30 size pipe
Is that a custom pipe from Grumania?
I looked at all the pipes they offer for the Mini Avanti S across several turbine sizes and none of them look like yours
Did you modify one of their stock pipes or was this a new one that isn't on their website for the X45?
Any info would be appreciated.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:41 PM
Aussie1

Originally Posted by ltc
Is that a custom pipe from Grumania?
I looked at all the pipes they offer for the Mini Avanti S across several turbine sizes and none of them look like yours
Did you modify one of their stock pipes or was this a new one that isn't on their website for the X45?
Any info would be appreciated.
This pipe is nearly 10 years old and was the standard pipe supplied with the P20 turbine conversion kit for the Avanti. The 45 size pipe is about 5 years old and was also what Grummania supplied at the time for the Avanti when upgrading to a Kingtech K45 or a Wren44. It was only dual wall in the critical area to keep weight down, and I have found that the 50mm pipe works perfectly with my X45. Looks like conversion kits may still be available.

https://www.dumfries-model-flying.co...conversion-kit
Old 09-30-2019, 02:27 PM
Rich Few

I looked at the conversion kit for a P20 but not sure if it would be suitable for the more powerful X45 !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.