Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

hawker hunter

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

hawker hunter

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 03:02 PM
roydefiant

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks will borrow from a friend
Old 11-03-2016, 07:58 AM
mick15

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Tomahawk Hunter nearly ready for it's maiden.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	MicksHunter.jpg
Views:	1077
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	2188768  
Old 11-03-2016, 03:10 PM
roydefiant

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

very nice, they appear to be good flyers
Old 11-04-2016, 01:09 AM
mick15

Thanks roy, I hope you're right as I've not flown it yet.

m
Old 11-04-2016, 02:50 AM
David Gladwin

Received 141 Likes on 90 Posts

Good luck Mick, been thinking of one myself. I am sure it will be as pleasant to fly as my big SkyGate Hawk, a *****cat in its handling, totally benign with classic stall behaviour in all configurations.

David
Old 11-04-2016, 04:00 AM
JSF-TC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 134 Likes on 78 Posts

David/ Mick,

I would approach the Hunter stall with caution (and plenty of altitude).

I have a DerJet Hunter, and my experiences are noted in post #80 in the DerJet thread, link below. The stall characteristics replicate the full-size as described in the Pilot's Notes.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...er-here-4.html

I've included the full-size Pilot's Notes about the stall characteristics below;

NOTE-Because the rate of descent is very high and because it is possible to induce an inadvertent spin when the aircraft is fully stalled, stalling practice is not to be continued beyond the buffet stage nor below 25,000ft.

(i) Although the aircraft must not be deliberately fully stalled in flight, the characteristics are described here to assist pilots who inadvertently enter the fully stalled condition
(ii) If the control column is held back after the buffet stage is reached, a
nose-up change of trim will occur, and though it will vary in degree from aircraft to aircraft to counteract it may require full forward stick movement. Either wing may tend to drop but can be controlled by the ailerons. Relaxation of the forward pressure on the control column at this point will lead to a further reduction in forward speed accompanied by a very high rate of descent. In this condition the elevator is relatively in- effective and response is slow. If extended wing leading edges are fitted there is less tendency for either wing dropping or yawing to occur.
(iii)
A spin or spiral may develop, and in any case considerable height will be lost. Large deflections of the ailerons near the stall will cause the aircraft to yaw in the direction of the downgoing aileron and will increase the possibility of a spin or spiral developing.

We can't feel the buffet stage, and the first indication we get is the model starting to wallow, but the stall break is sudden with a pitch-up.

I suggest trying it, but with way more altitude initially than you think is necessary.

I damaged mine (heavy landing) after getting too slow on landing and getting a significant Dutch-Roll oscillation (even with a gyro). Should be back up soon and I'm going to see if I can get it better dialed-in. I have the cg as per the manual, and it cross-checks with my old Westbury Hunter cg.. I may try going a bit further forward still.

So far, the Hunter just doesn't feel as locked in or confidence building as my Ultra-Flash does, which is an unbelievable model which I was comfortable with starting on its first flight.

Good luck

Paul
Old 11-04-2016, 05:12 AM
mick15

Thanks for the info Paul, I'm sure you're right although I wont be taking any liberties with it in the early days. Having said that the CAA test requires a stall check power on and off, I can assure you I will be aborting the stall test at a very early stage!

I have lots of Jeti telemetry installed one of which is ASI so some careful speed tests will be carried out.

m
Old 11-04-2016, 07:12 AM
David Gladwin

Paul/ Mick,
Quite right to approach things gradually, my Hawk was stall tested for the CAA tests and performed admirably. Some say model Hawks can be vicious, with all fences and VGs fitted at correct locations and angles all three of my Hawks are docile but I have not spun them (yet! )

I believe The pilots notes quoted were written before leading edge extensions were universal. These were fitted to minimise pitch up at the stall, which is pretty close in a max rate turn. All the Hunters in my time in the RAF (6, T7, 9and 10) were fitted with Le extensions and I Never heard anyone say it was unpleasant or we would not have used it as an advanced trainer at Valley where it was very popular with all who flew them.
In fact, ETPS used it for spin training both upright and erect, the only swept wing fighter used in that way.

Anyway the Tomahawk Hunter has correct l.e.extensions so here's hoping the model is docile. I am sure Mick will let us know, good luck !

David.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:33 AM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by David Gladwin
Paul/ Mick,
Quite right to approach things gradually, my Hawk was stall tested for the CAA tests and performed admirably. Some say model Hawks can be vicious, with all fences and VGs fitted at correct locations and angles all three of my Hawks are docile but I have not spun them (yet! )

I believe The pilots notes quoted were written before leading edge extensions were universal. These were fitted to minimise pitch up at the stall, which is pretty close in a max rate turn. All the Hunters in my time in the RAF (6, T7, 9and 10) were fitted with Le extensions and I Never heard anyone say it was unpleasant or we would not have used it as an advanced trainer at Valley where it was very popular with all who flew them.
In fact, ETPS used it for spin training both upright and erect, the only swept wing fighter used in that way.

Anyway the Tomahawk Hunter has correct l.e.extensions so here's hoping the model is docile. I am sure Mick will let us know, good luck !

David.
Haqving seen the original by Reto Senn and then The first of the Tomahawk Hunters fly at JP a few years ago, I would say that the low speed handling had to be seen to believed. The wing loading does not nearly approach the scale wing loading. I understand the potential for a deep stall with any long fusleage jet but I cannot Imagine that this hunter is going to bite. Mine is coming along nicely so my interest is not accademic.
Your canopy is in the post to me BTW Mick.
John
Old 11-07-2016, 01:13 AM
David Gladwin

John,
I have seen Reto,s flying st the JWM which is why I believe it will be as docile as my Hawks.

Do do you have everything from TomaHawk, gear included?

David
Old 11-07-2016, 04:06 AM
JSF-TC

John,

From your Tomahawk plans, can you please provide the wing root chord at the fuselage joint and also the position of the c.g aft of the leading edge measured at the wing root.

I'd just like another opinion on c.g to compare to my DerJet Hunter (which matched my old Westbury Hunter c.g.), and with both measurements I can scale it down to my model size.

Thanks

Paul
Old 11-08-2016, 05:41 AM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi David,
Yes, everything he sells for it. I may by some detail parts from Reto when I finally decide which scheme and version to go for. Common sense is telling me to go for Misdemenour for the sake of visibility. However, I would love an RAF FGA 9. I am currently considering one that that was at the tactical weapons unit that was basically standard camoflage but with high visibility Red wingtips, spine and fin. I should quite reasonably be able to weaponise this one. Perhaps Matra rocket pods on the outer pylons, as naturally it will have tanks on the inners.
BR

John
Old 11-08-2016, 06:49 AM
JSF-TC

John,

Like this one, my old Westbury kit (RIP)?

Paul
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hunter Top View.jpg
Views:	847
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	2189434   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hunter Bottom View.jpg
Views:	885
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	2189435  
Old 09-03-2017, 06:00 AM
mick15

A couple of my Tomahawk Hunter, getting it nicely sorted now.

m
Old 09-03-2017, 06:05 AM
mick15

Voted save of the meeting when the engine let go at the top of a loop. Fortunately no damage!

m
Old 09-03-2017, 08:22 AM
nobbybasher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re your hunter

Yo mick good save there looks like you might have scrapped your wing tip a little but at least you saved your model, unusual colour scheme on your hunter but there was many different air forces using them.i have the faibao hunter that's just been painted by jectek its the RAF version (XG192).I am fitting an hydraulic retracts on mine and I reckon you have done the same on yours, my units have been modified by archie from scale composits but expensive to do, I am wondering mick if you could share the way you do your retracts and at what cost..regards
john