Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Help with Sierra Scale Retracts Company

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Help with Sierra Scale Retracts Company

Old 05-20-2015, 08:04 AM
spaceman 01
My Feedback: (44)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Sierra Scale Retracts Company

I am trying to get a hold of Darrel at Sierra Retracts for about A month and there is no answer, I tried calling email and messaging with no response . He has my retracts to be repaired for about six month. I do not know what to do in this point. Please help. Thanks , Nick.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:08 AM
Tony Gag Jr.
My Feedback: (124)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good luck. He has had my spinner for over 2 years and will not respond to my emails. I will never deal with him again, I don't care how good his products are.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:22 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

No retracts for you!
Old 05-20-2015, 11:51 AM
RCISFUN

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by DrScoles
No retracts for you!

Nick good luck, I know others who have had issues
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	index.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	2097354  

Last edited by RCISFUN; 05-20-2015 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:59 AM
spaceman 01

Who are you?
The retract are mine and if he can not fix them , he should at list send them back to me.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:03 PM
spaceman 01

Hi Richy,
Old 05-20-2015, 01:20 PM
David Jackson
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For nearly a year, I have been trying to get replacement parts for a set of his retracts. Gave up and moved on. Hope you get your gear returned.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:37 PM
DrScoles

Amazes me that one person in a country of 300million plus has a monopoly on r/c landing gear. I'm sure the margins must be razor thin or there would be more people doing it and doing it well. (I represent queens she was raised out in brooklyn) ;-)
Old 05-20-2015, 02:39 PM
Quikturn
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I sent him a set of 60 size retracts for repair back in January and can't get a hold of him either. Gave him my cc information about three months ago (when it was ready to ship) but he never charged it. Guess he knows he'd have legal issues if he did. Honestly, I don't understand why he's like this. I intend on paying him a visit one of these days.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:17 PM
RonTins

My sympathies to all of you who have gear or payments sent to him and are awaiting delivery. I was fortunate the three times I transacted business with him and he seemed to be a really nice trusting fella who delivered top notch products. I wish everyone all the best and hope there is some favorable resolution to all these issues.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:22 PM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same for me. I was able to reach without much problem to get parts for my rotating retracts last fall. it is strange that he still has a web site and all but makes no real effort to keep customers satisfied.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:27 PM
Quikturn
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Darrell seemed like a nice guy the few times I spoke to him on the phone as well. At first, I wanted to order the parts and fix the retract units myself, but he convinced me to send them in since they only charge for parts and can give it a complete checkout. At the beginning of the year, Darrell or someone else would always answer the phone. Now, nothing.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:07 PM
spaceman 01

If there is a person close to his company and do me a favor to pick my retracts up to send to me I will pay for it.
thanks , Nick .
I have my Su 27 on the working table and I can' t do anything or fly it for over six months.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:33 PM
mistermnkim
My Feedback: (153)

I just sent a email last week and had a response within a hour? I was kinda impressed!! Hope you guys have better luck in the future....
Old 05-20-2015, 09:50 PM
teebox11
My Feedback: (33)

Surely there is someone that lives in the same city who can, or should volunteer, go check personally. Could be he is sick, or worse. If not, then he needs to be reminded that he has a lot of customers out here in landing gear world!!……………just say'n…………..
Old 05-20-2015, 11:00 PM
ffljingha

I will never deal with him again, I don't care how good his products are.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:08 AM
BILLYDSRC

Good luck guys!
Billy D
Old 05-21-2015, 04:26 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by mistermnkim
I just sent a email last week and had a response within a hour? I was kinda impressed!! Hope you guys have better luck in the future....
Im guessing you were inquiring about buying something? Otherwise, after sale service is Zero

i had to wait over a year for a set of tires because they sent the wrong size originally. It wasnt till i threetened to charge back all of the purchase through my credit card that new ones arrived unexpectedly.
Then before that i bought a set of $900 retracts that fell apart after retracting them by hand twice. One of the scissor link bolts had a machine nut put on with red loctite. That probably would of been fine had there been more than 1/2 a thread engaging the nut. The bigger problem was the same bolt on the other gear utilized a nylon lock nut. Perfect! New bolt and nut nad we'd be in good shape.... So an email to darrell asking for replacement items to fix his new gear was sent. 6 months later, still no bolt. And because it was a custom shoulder bolt, it couldnt just be picked up at the local hardware store. It wasnt till an RCU member gave me a spare that i got a gear set that still didnt work.
Once assembled like the other side, the nylon nut either hit the strut or the retract frame when retracted. More emails over the course of a few weeks to Darrell. Nothing in return. Finally i had to file about 1/3 of the strut away in order to make it work.

Never again
Old 05-21-2015, 05:39 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think someone said on here at one time that this is not his main business and perhaps he means well but just can't get it together to take care of RC business. Too bad, because his rotating gear for P-40's is he best I've seen.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:32 AM
veroaviaor
My Feedback: (16)

Guys,

I'm having similar issues with Darrell. I sent him a custom Kerry Sterner Vampire nose strut that was made by him as it had damaged due to some machining error and he agreed to have it fixed asap. Initially I was able to get a hold of him easily and he mentioned he machined out a whole new strut to solve the problem. This was sent back in October 2014. After January 2015, no news from him at all. My plane has been grounded for over a year just for this strut!!!

If someone does pay him a visit, please collect my strut as well and I'll gladly pay for the shipping costs to New York. Thanks
Old 05-21-2015, 08:45 AM
JJP
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope Likae at SkyMaster is listening. He makes the best gear I have ever had. (A-10 and F-104) I would love to see what he could do for such planes as the Corsair and P-47. His air over hydraulic oleo's are wonderful. Just saying!
Old 05-21-2015, 08:59 AM
DrScoles

Wondering how long it will be before we can 3D print material strong enough for landing gear? How strong is the ABS with carbon?? If a 1911 .45 and a turbine can be 3d printed, its not gonna be long before we as hobbyists can do it, or sooner, send the .stl file to a shop that has metal printing capability.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:52 AM
Radical Departure
My Feedback: (13)

Originally Posted by invertmast
Im guessing you were inquiring about buying something? Otherwise, after sale service is Zero

i had to wait over a year for a set of tires because they sent the wrong size originally. It wasnt till i threetened to charge back all of the purchase through my credit card that new ones arrived unexpectedly.
Then before that i bought a set of $900 retracts that fell apart after retracting them by hand twice. One of the scissor link bolts had a machine nut put on with red loctite. That probably would of been fine had there been more than 1/2 a thread engaging the nut. The bigger problem was the same bolt on the other gear utilized a nylon lock nut. Perfect! New bolt and nut nad we'd be in good shape.... So an email to darrell asking for replacement items to fix his new gear was sent. 6 months later, still no bolt. And because it was a custom shoulder bolt, it couldnt just be picked up at the local hardware store. It wasnt till an RCU member gave me a spare that i got a gear set that still didnt work.
Once assembled like the other side, the nylon nut either hit the strut or the retract frame when retracted. More emails over the course of a few weeks to Darrell. Nothing in return. Finally i had to file about 1/3 of the strut away in order to make it work.
Never again
Same thing.. wrong size wheels.. said he would send the right ones, never did and no further responses to my call or emails. Got tired of jacking around with him and just ordered the right wheels from Robart. Service was ok before the sale, he would respond to my emails, but after saying he'd send the right wheels.. just the sound of rustling tumbleweeds... thankfully the landing gear I needed he had in stock. But then it was sent to my home address and not to the shipping address I'd specified. Live in a rural area on a dirt road, so was not happy to come home from work and see those $$ sitting next to my locked gate.. in the rain. Lucky someone didn't take it and toss when saw it was no value to them. Last time I'll order from him..
Old 05-21-2015, 10:06 AM
Mntflyby

I have been waiting on a reply about buying two nose gears for Hostetler design Cessna planes I have plans for. Its going on three years now. Multiple emails, phone calls, no response. This is the only source that Hostetler lists for his plans. This is not good for Mr. Hostetlers business either.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:22 PM
Tony Gag Jr.
My Feedback: (124)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Obviously he makes some great products but his customer service is awful. I guess he does not understand how important the customer service aspect of this hobby is. I will just send the rest of business to Shindin, Robart and Century Jet. I have asked him for 2 years to just return my spinner regardless if the work was done or not. He won't even acknowledge my emails regarding the spinner. I have met him in person and always considered him a good guy but not anymore. He seems to be fine with taking people's items and not returning them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.