Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

fixing after burner

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

fixing after burner

Old 05-23-2015, 10:10 PM
arifai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fixing after burner

hi friends ,,
I have my tomahawk viper jet 2m , and I want to fix after burner ,, is there any way I have to do to protect the wire from the high heat of the tail pipe and not to melt .
thank you
Old 05-25-2015, 12:13 PM
madmodelman

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you aware that Vipers do not have afterburners?
Old 05-25-2015, 08:42 PM
iflyrcjets

Originally Posted by madmodelman
Are you aware that Vipers do not have ?
It is also a model so he can have an after burner light ring if he wants to. Help if you can.

Last edited by iflyrcjets; 05-28-2015 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:14 AM
madmodelman

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't say he couldn't have an a/b, I was just making him aware of the fact ok!
Old 05-28-2015, 09:06 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by iflyrcjets
It is also a model so he can have an after burner if he wants to. Help if you can.
Well if he's in the US and is an AMA flyer, he can't have an afterburner - not an actual one anyway...

However, it sounds like he's not from the US, and his mentioning of a "wire" leads me to believe that he's talking about afterburner lights.

With afterburner lights, they need to go between the inner and outer pipes, if it is a double-walled pipe, and if not, obviously around the outside of the single pipe. There should be as much clearance as possible between the inner pipe and the light ring, so that air can flow between them and help keep the light ring from picking up the heat from the inner pipe. The LEDs on the light ring also generate a lot of heat on their own, so you should have as much cooling air flow as you can get on the ring as possible. I would also route the power wires from the light ring away from the pipe as early as possible - which means making a small hole in the outer pipe to get them to the outside. Make sure that the wires are well protected where they pass through the outer pipe wall...

Bob
Old 05-28-2015, 11:34 AM
iflyrcjets

Thanks for the info. This member may be one of the bots since his other post are interesting.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:27 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Bob I have never seen lights installed between the inner and outer wall on a pipe. Wouldn't that block the cooling air that is supposed to be flowing through the inner and out wall? On both of my planes I have the lights on the outside of the double wall pipe.

Would look better on the F16 if I could put them between the pipe walls but don't see how it can be done and still work good. Do you have any pics?

Originally Posted by rhklenke
Well if he's in the US and is an AMA flyer, he can't have an afterburner - not an actual one anyway...

However, it sounds like he's not from the US, and his mentioning of a "wire" leads me to believe that he's talking about afterburner lights.

With afterburner lights, they need to go between the inner and outer pipes, if it is a double-walled pipe, and if not, obviously around the outside of the single pipe. There should be as much clearance as possible between the inner pipe and the light ring, so that air can flow between them and help keep the light ring from picking up the heat from the inner pipe. The LEDs on the light ring also generate a lot of heat on their own, so you should have as much cooling air flow as you can get on the ring as possible. I would also route the power wires from the light ring away from the pipe as early as possible - which means making a small hole in the outer pipe to get them to the outside. Make sure that the wires are well protected where they pass through the outer pipe wall...

Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	15215998324_1c64673570_b.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	211.7 KB
ID:	2099229   Click image for larger version

Name:	1148897_778502508826763_1185256471_n.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	2099230  
Old 05-28-2015, 04:10 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by gunradd
Bob I have never seen lights installed between the inner and outer wall on a pipe. Wouldn't that block the cooling air that is supposed to be flowing through the inner and out wall? On both of my planes I have the lights on the outside of the double wall pipe.

Would look better on the F16 if I could put them between the pipe walls but don't see how it can be done and still work good. Do you have any pics?
You know, you are right - color me embarrassed...

I was sure that I had seen a single row of LEDs like Dreamworks used to sell, installed between the inner and outer pipe, but maybe not. I know that the double ringed ones are too wide to go in there. There's at least a 1/4" between the walls on the Mueller pipe in my Panther and it seems like that could work - if the ring was the right size, but on my other pipes, there's not enough room...

My bad...

Bob
Old 05-28-2015, 04:53 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Lol

Originally Posted by rhklenke
you know, you are right - color me embarrassed...

i was sure that i had seen a single row of leds like dreamworks used to sell, installed between the inner and outer pipe, but maybe not. I know that the double ringed ones are too wide to go in there. There's at least a 1/4" between the walls on the mueller pipe in my panther and it seems like that could work - if the ring was the right size, but on my other pipes, there's not enough room...

My bad...

bob
Old 05-29-2015, 04:35 AM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Order a roll of this material and thread the wiring inside it.
http://www.autoanything.com/fuel-sys...r-heat-sleeves
Old 05-29-2015, 06:01 AM
mort78
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by gunradd

David Hart is simply an amazing photographer. Haven't come across any photo's that weren't 'mint'.
Cool models too Gunny
Old 05-31-2015, 12:25 AM
arifai

thanks for everybody ,
and special thanks to ( rhklenke ) , he is absolutely right I am flying in Dubai U A E .