Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JHH-A7 with the new Kingtech K45

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JHH-A7 with the new Kingtech K45

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 06:40 AM
Jet20
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by edwarda10pilot
Kris, I hope you don't mind my asking this question but since the A-7's are hard to come by (and I don't have one), how about the K-45 in a JHH F-9 Cougar (which I have NIB) or a JHH A-4 (which I also have)?

Ed
Ed,

I would think with this engine being similar in size and thrust to the MW-44 that it would work quite well in either of those airplanes.

Chris
Old 06-24-2015, 01:19 PM
edwarda10pilot
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris:

Thanks for the reply. I will have to give this some thought.

Ed
Old 06-24-2015, 01:59 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Ed no problem posting here my friend. The K45 will work in most of the airframes using 90mm fans IMO.

The good part about the K45 is its light and all the valves and solenoids are built into it so not allot of mess going on. It will be about a week and a half until I get time to fly this plane but headed to Kentucky next Sunday so Barry and I will be flying this thing allot in 2 weeks.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:14 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Gun if you need any help putting hours on the the K45. I willing and able!
Old 06-26-2015, 08:00 AM
gunradd

Bob see you soon!

A7 is ready for Kentucky. Might do a little weathering on it if I get time.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1147.jpg
Views:	1002
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	2105865   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1145.jpg
Views:	1040
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	2105866   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1143.jpg
Views:	1035
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	2105867  
Old 06-26-2015, 08:47 AM
Jet20

cool! have fun!
Old 06-30-2015, 01:43 PM
trondb

This thread made me pick down my A-7 from the shelf an start plan the bulid. I`ts an old kit version who has piano wire main gear I plan to go the same route and turbine power it and are in need for an upgrade with more rugged scale type gear. Sent JHH an e-mail 3 days ago but has`nt got a reply yet. Looks they are temporary out of stock.
Anyone else have an advice for a set that fits ? I also need the brackets who holds the cylinders for the main gear

Trond Bruun-Olsen
Norway

2 pics of the kit this gear is what I`m looking for

Name:	IMG_0913.JPG
Views:	953
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	2106624   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0914.JPG
Views:	882
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	2106625   Click image for larger version

Name:	A-7scaleRetr.jpg
Views:	904
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	2106626  
Old 06-30-2015, 02:26 PM
Jet20

Trond,

A kit build, nice! Do you think you will build the leading edge flaps? Regarding gear, I can tell you that my folks don't have any and probably won't anytime soon if at all. However, RC Crafters (http://www.rccrafters.com) has a set available if you wanted to go that route. It's a similar solution to what was supplied with the ARF's. Here's a shot of the 3 gear set.

Name:	110thA73gearset.jpg
Views:	898
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	2106627  
Old 06-30-2015, 03:31 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Wow that's a website I haven't seen, back in 2007 I had them him build me a set of the 1/8th scale f-18 gear for a combat models f-18. Still have the kit and gear. This was going to be my jet fix since they are very scale but I ended up with a turbine instead.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:31 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Wow that's a website I haven't seen, back in 2007 I had them him build me a set of the 1/8th scale f-18 gear for a combat models f-18. Still have the kit and gear. This was going to be my jet fix since they are very scale but I ended up with a turbine instead.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:10 AM
trondb

Originally Posted by Jet20
Trond,

A kit build, nice! Do you think you will build the leading edge flaps? Regarding gear, I can tell you that my folks don't have any and probably won't anytime soon if at all. However, RC Crafters (http://www.rccrafters.com) has a set available if you wanted to go that route. It's a similar solution to what was supplied with the ARF's. Here's a shot of the 3 gear set.

Thanks Chris ,
Not decided if I´m gonna do the leading edge flaps yet. It`s a bit of hazzle to do , and not sure if it`s worth the job ? :-)
The Rccrafters gear looks nice , will get in contact with them . That`s the route I want to go if it`s available and not too overpriced..

However I found THIS scale gear set , but at near 1300 bucks .. well ? Nicely made thou ...

Trond
Old 07-01-2015, 06:51 AM
Jet20

Originally Posted by trondb
Thanks Chris ,
Not decided if I´m gonna do the leading edge flaps yet. It`s a bit of hazzle to do , and not sure if it`s worth the job ? :-)
The Rccrafters gear looks nice , will get in contact with them . That`s the route I want to go if it`s available and not too overpriced..

However I found THIS scale gear set , but at near 1300 bucks .. well ? Nicely made thou ...

Trond
Yeah, the matrix stuff is nice, but quite expensive. Looking at the design, the mains look heavy to me given the metal mounting plate, etc. I think the RCCrafters gear will do the job for you and should be a fraction of the cost compared to the Matrix gear.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:40 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by gunradd
Bob see you soon!

A7 is ready for Kentucky. Might do a little weathering on it if I get time.

I'm *really* looking forward to seeing this fly at Ky Jets. I had one on a Turbax EDF and I know how it flew with that, so a comparison with the K45 powered one will be great. I'm still thinking that the K45 would be an ideal power plant for my Yellow Aircraft A-4 (that I hope to start this winter, maybe...).

Bob
Old 07-01-2015, 09:53 AM
gunradd

I will see you soon my friend Cant wait to get to Kentucky!!

Originally Posted by rhklenke
I'm *really* looking forward to seeing this fly at Ky Jets. I had one on a Turbax EDF and I know how it flew with that, so a comparison with the K45 powered one will be great. I'm still thinking that the K45 would be an ideal power plant for my Yellow Aircraft A-4 (that I hope to start this winter, maybe...).

Bob
Old 07-02-2015, 07:37 AM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I cant wait to see it either, I love small turbine powered jets!
Old 07-13-2015, 08:40 AM
speed is life

Originally Posted by gunradd
I will see you soon my friend Cant wait to get to Kentucky!!
Kris, Update on your JHI A-7D? How did it go?
- Mike

Last edited by speed is life; 07-14-2015 at 01:14 PM. Reason: I hate the email notification......
Old 07-13-2015, 12:57 PM
Joe Westrich
My Feedback: (95)

I know if flew a couple times.....not sure if there is video out there or not.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:09 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Westrich
I know if flew a couple times.....not sure if there is video out there or not.
I spotted for Chris on one of his flights with the A-7. The K45 pushed it *very* well. He seemed to have a good turn of speed, realistic vertical, and the plane got off the ground in a fairly short time. Overall, the K45 pushed it much better than the E-Turbax setup (10 cells) that I had in mine a few years back. I think I'm going to use this motor in my Yellow A-4...

He had some issues with the airframe itself, but those were not related to the Kingtech motor...

Bob
Old 07-14-2015, 10:22 AM
gunradd

Thanks Bob and Joe.

The engine was flawless. Now the aircraft... LOL lots of work to do on it. Gear doors dont work most of the time the electric down and locked gear does not stay down and locked. My eagle tree gyro failed and made the aircraft very hard to fly.I had to hold half stick aileron the entire flight to hold it straight. In the end I will get it all squared away just need some time at my home field to play with it some. I did install new wheels and brakes at the event and also shoved some tygon in the main struts to lift the rear end some since it was sitting way to low.

40 ounces of fuel seemed to be about perfect. I flew 5 mins then landed and had enough to go around left. The Xicoy telemetry worked great and will be using that on more planes now. The little K45 was so quite when it would go by. Ali called it the little guppy. When I get all the problems ironed out and get some real flights with it I will post some video. Dont like posting maidens and untrimmed crappy flights.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:17 AM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Well those kinds of maidens and early shake down flights usually end up being turned into well-tuned airplanes a few flights later.

For the record I had an Eagle Tree gyro do the same thing to me for about 15 seconds and then it went back to normal. Since then I've only used it in low cost foamies ever since and of course it's never done it again but I don't trust it in a nice jet. Get another Cortex My iGyro 3e's and my one Cortex are four times the gyro that an Eagle Tree is, anyway

Some airplanes roll off the assembly line perfect and others just reveal more work to be done (but turn out to be some of the best planes because at the end of the day they are tuned up perfectly).

K-45 Engine sounds like a winner. What were your flight times set for on that 40 ounce tank and how much were you landing with?
Old 07-14-2015, 11:33 AM
gunradd

Eddie I set timer for 5:30 and would land with enough for a go around I would say but not much more. Also this was at a big event and I didn't have a taxi tank and it always took a little bit to taxi out. When I get time I will get better numbers.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:13 PM
speed is life

Hi Kris,
The gear doors, especially the mains, are a headache. Very fiddly to get them to work reliably IMO, especially with turbine due to the ram air into the fuselage in a non fully ducted installation.
When I had mine I did not have a gyro and there really were no issues that made me want one. True it would Dutch roll a bit if you got too slow, but it was a great visual indication that you let it get too slow.
Wondering why you had to have so much aileron input?
- Mike
Old 07-14-2015, 02:29 PM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

I used to feel the same way last year. Gyros are just a personal preference thing that appeal to guys that want to perfect everything including setups and trim outs. The bang for the buck in gyros favors smaller, heavier wing loading planes, especially those with thin airfoils that have a tight sweet spot when you get slower on approach. Body attitude and sink rate are more proactive and better / safer cues for speed and thrust required than dutch roll IMHO anyhow and you can see that trend better with a high quality 3 axis gyro.

Last edited by Eddie P; 07-14-2015 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:21 PM
gunradd

Hey Mike.
I just like having a gyro now guess I am spoiled lol. I had so much roll input because the gyro was not working right. It would not even link up to my laptop and was dead. But it would not let me trim the model out. Barry did the first 2 flights on it and it was working but had gear issues. Then I got it up the next day and the model was way out of trim and I could not trim it out and the gyro was not letting me trim it. First time I have had one do this. I will install cortex inside it most likely or just fly it without. Got 2 other huge projects I need to get going so want to make these fixes and move on fast. Might use a small servo or something for the lower main gear doors. The top doors work fine.

Originally Posted by speed is life
Hi Kris,
The gear doors, especially the mains, are a headache. Very fiddly to get them to work reliably IMO, especially with turbine due to the ram air into the fuselage in a non fully ducted installation.
When I had mine I did not have a gyro and there really were no issues that made me want one. True it would Dutch roll a bit if you got too slow, but it was a great visual indication that you let it get too slow.
Wondering why you had to have so much aileron input?
- Mike
Old 07-15-2015, 06:21 AM
Jet20

Kris,

Sorry to hear of the gyro and gear issues. I'm sure you'll get it sorted soon enough! Regarding the doors, when I had the turbine in mine, I had a small wire catch on each lower door that would hold the doors closed when the gear was up. The catch would hit against the main landing gear so that they couldn't blow open. With the EDF, it's not an issue. I'm here to help if you need anything.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.